Air India check in offers the smooth and efficient process to eliminate the long queues at the airport and keep the passenger’s safe in the post Covid times.
We have created this blog on Air India check-in process to provide the information regarding Air India flights check in facility and much more that are essential for all travellers who wish to fly with the airline.
Air India Flight Check In Terms and Conditions
As per the air india check in policy, the Check in terms and conditions varies with the destination point, and fare rules associated with the flight itinerary, such as –
Air India Domestic Check-In
- Check -in for travel within India must be completed at least 30 minutes before the departure.
- To board the aircraft, you need to complete the Check in at the airport serving the facility of the departure point.
- The Check in time for the flight must be specified in your flight itinerary and or by the authorised advisory.
- If you’re flying within India and selected countries of Asia, you can check in online at www.airindia.com. In that case, you’ll need to arrive at the airport at least 30 minutes before your flight’s planned departure time.
- If you do not arrive at the airport and/or check in by the time stated, the fare, the baggage fee paid, and/or any other travel add-on fee may be forfeited. The airline may cancel and re-allocate the booking, subject to the fare rules applicable as per Air India cancellation policy.
Air India Check-In International Flights
- To board the flight , you must check in at one of the check in locations near your departure point.
- The Check in time for the flight must be specified in your flight itinerary and or by the authorised advisory.
- Passengers need to Check in for international travel at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure or as otherwise stated in your Itinerary.
- You must arrive at the airport early enough to complete Check in processes before the Check in deadline, and you must have a valid passport, flight ticket , and all relevant travel documents for your destination and stopovers with you.
All Travel Norms –
- All travel documents required to admit you on your flight, including a valid passport or other acceptable form of identification, as well as all other relevant travel documentation for your destination and stopovers, must be brought and kept handy at the time of travel. If requested, you must produce all of these documentation to the airline’s staff and security at the airport.
- You must keep all the documents such as boarding pass, and baggage tags, provided by the airlines while completing the Air India flight Check in, until the end of your trip. The airlines will make copies of these documents for security and procedural reasons, as well as any laws that may apply.
Air India Check In Baggage Rules
The baggage check in allowance is applicable on the Air India operated flights, and not on any codeshare or interline agreement partners. In addition –
- Passengers travelling on Air India domestic flights that connect to the international flights or vice versa on the same ticket would be eligible for the International sector’s free baggage allowance, as per the Air India checked in baggage policy.
- In Economy Class, Star Alliance Gold members will continue to be allowed an additional 20 kg of Air India check in luggage allowance.
- Premium Club and Flying Returns members would continue to be allowed additional Air India checked in baggage allowance. The weight and size dimension varies from time to time.
- If travelling with infants, you must carry 1 collapsible stroller/car seat, and should be transported as per norms.
- Passengers who use a wheelchair or other assistance devices and are travelling with them are entitled to a free supplementary baggage allowance of up to 15 kg, subject to the Air India baggage policy.
Air India International Check-In Baggage Size
- The sum of each piece’s three dimensions (length, breadth, and height) must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
- A single piece of luggage can only be 32 kg in weight. This air india check in baggage dimension is in effect across the whole airlines network.
Here is the overview of the checked baggage, as per the Air India baggage policy –
|ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ECONOMY Class||BUSINESS / FIRST Class|
|INDIA||USA||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
|INDIA||NEWARK||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
|USA||INDIA / SAARC / Australia / Far East – SouthEast Asia||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
|INDIA / SAARC / Australia / Far East – SouthEast Asia||USA||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
|India||Canada||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
|Canada||India||2 Piece ( 23Kg each )||2 Piece ( 32Kg each )|
Air India Flight Boarding Pass
With Air India you can launch the boarding online as well as issue at the Air India airport check-in counter.
Air India Online Boarding Pass
The Air India has begun deploying mobile boarding bass, an electronic document that allows passengers to bypass security and board the plane using only their mobile device.
The Air India boarding passes issued online are available at all the network airports. The online or mobile boarding pass is currently not available for SAARC destinations. Passengers need to comply with the Air India boarding time mentioned in the booking details.
How to Get Air India Boarding Pass Online?
Getting a mobile boarding pass is a cakewalk, all you need to do is –
- Complete the Air India online check in your booking up to 1 hours before the flight departs
- Click on the ‘Issue Boarding Pass’ link on the airline’s website or through the mobile app.
- Save the pass to your device. Display the digital boarding pass at the baggage counter, security checkpoint, and the boarding gate.
Receiving your boarding pass for Air India – After you’ve finished the Air India online check in, check the preview of the boarding pass. You can store your pass to your iOS Wallet or Google Pay from there. After completing the air india web check-in, tap the Boarding Pass icon in trip details to access and retrieve your pass.
Air India Flight Boarding Pass Issued at the Airport
At the airport, the airline will issue the boarding pass and is subject to a fee. The fee for issuing the Air India check in boarding pass at the airport counters –
- Within 48 hours of scheduled departure , a one-time fee is charged to issue the boarding pass at the time of Check in.
- The fee charged per passenger boarding pass is 15 USD for international flights and 5 USD for flights within Air India.
- The airline reserves the right to adjust the Air India check in fee amount at any time and without prior notification. The fee would be due at the time of service and is non-refundable.
Passengers are entitled for free boarding pass at the Check in desks –
- Passengers flying on the exclusive charter plane operated by Air India.
- Flight booking purchased for premium cabins in Economy, Business and First Class.
- Passengers who paid for the upgrade.
- Travelers who have completed the online Check in for Air India.
- Passengers with a non-confirmed booking status.
Air India Check In Process
With the check-in process, passengers have so many convenient ways to accomplish the travel formalities, and you can start your travel in the smoothest possible way.
Air India Web Check-in
The Air India online check in starts between 48 hours and 30 minutes before departure for domestic travel . For international flights, the Check in starts between 24 hours and 90 minutes before departure for international flights. To complete the air india check in online –
- Visit airindia.com, and click on the web Check in option.
- Enter the 6-digit alphanumeric booking reference and the last name of the passenger.
- Select the flight segments that need to be checked.
- Purchase the baggage, and select the seat preference before you complete the request.
- Choose the preferred boarding pass option – print, digital copy or digital wallet.
Air India Mobile Check-in
Just like the Air India web check in, it can be completed up to 30 minutes before departure for domestic travel, and 90 minutes before departure for international travel. To complete the online check in for Air India –
- Launch the app, and tap the Check in button on the navigation bar.
- Enter the booking credentials to retrieve your flight reservation.
- Select the flight segments and the name of the passenger to proceed.
- Add baggage, seats, meals and any other special request before completing the process.
- Generate the boarding pass, and save the digital copy on your device.
Air India Airport Check-in
To complete the Check in at the airport, you need to keep your flight ticket, and other relevant travel documents handy, in order to obtain the boarding pass.
AS per Air India check-in policy, at all international and domestic airports, it is mandatory for the passengers to complete the self Check in.
- For domestic and international flights – The counter closes 60 minutes before the scheduled departure. The boarding gate closes 30 minutes before departure.
- The airline charges 5 USD as a fee to print the boarding pass for domestic flight, and 15 USD as a fee for international flight.
Air India Self Check-In Kiosk
In just a few simple steps, you may check in, select your chosen seat, and print your luggage tag and boarding card right at the airport. If you have baggage to check in, you can go right to the boarding gate after checking in. If you don’t, you can go straight to the boarding gate.
The Air India self check in kiosk is available at all international airports within India, and all primary international hubs.
The Air India self Check in (kiosk) is not eligible for the following passengers –
- Passengers with special service requests.
- Passengers with a group of 10 or more.
- Travelers between 14 and 16 years old travelling alone.
- Passengers on standby status.
Air India Phone Check-In
Passengers who do not have access to the internet or have not completed the Check in online, can call the customer service phone number at +1-844-673-0381 to request the flight Check in. You can request the flight Check in up to 1 hour before the scheduled departure. Passengers need to pay the Air India check-in fee over the phone to complete the said request.
Air India Check In Time
Here is the overview of the Check in closure time for domestic and international flights –
Air India Domestic Check-In Time
As per the check in policy, the Check in usually starts at 120 minutes before departure and the Check in counter closes 45 minutes before departure for all classes of services.
Due to additional security measures, passengers are asked to arrive 120 minutes ahead of departure time at the Srinagar, Jammu, and Leh airports for Check in. Please notice that passengers on flights departing from Jammu, Srinagar, and Leh will not be permitted to carry any hand luggage.
Air India International Flight Check-In Time
Check in normally begins 3 hours before the flight departs, and closes 60 minute before for all classes of service. Passengers must arrive at the airport sufficiently before the flight’s departure time to complete security formalities and the Air India check in process.
You should be aware of the following timeframe to complete the check in at the airport –
|RECOMMENDED REPORTING TIME||Before Departure|
|Domestic Flights||120 minutes|
|International Flights||180 minutes|
|Departing from Leh/Srinagar/Jammu Airports||120 Minutes|
|Domestic leg of International Flights||120 Minutes|
Air India Flight Check In Fee
As per the airlines check in policy, there is no as such as any fee to complete the Check in process online. However, the airline charges a fee to print the boarding pass at the airport. On the other hand, if you complete the check in through phone, it is subject to a fee.
|Web Check in||Mobile Check in||Airport Check in||Kiosk Check in||Phone Check in|
|Check in Fee for domestic flight (in USD)||Free||Free||5||Free||25|
|Check in Fee for international flight (in USD)||Free||Free||15||Free||50|
|Print boarding pass||Not applicable||Not applicable||Free||Free||Free|
The airlines check in is a smooth gateway made sure by the airline to reduce the long queues at airports, with easy self-Check in option as well. But before you avail the internet/mobile app based Check-in process and make your travel experience comfortable and effortless, it is important that you stay updated with all the information regarding flight services.