Under the Sun Country unaccompanied minor policy, children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult. One traveller 15 to 17 years old may fly within the United States and Puerto Rico, with up to one child 5 to 14 years on the same itinerary.
Age Restrictions for Children on Sun Country Flights
As per the Sun Country unaccompanied minor policy –
- Children travelling to and from Central America, Mexico, or the Caribbean must travel with a passport.
- Children under 14 years of age can book travel within the US and Puerto Rico provided they must be accompanied by an adult who is between 15 and 17 years.
- Children between 15 and 17 years can travel alone within the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Any child between 5 and 14 years of age must fly with adult passengers at least 15 years of age.
- Children Travelling with Adult Passenger –
- Young Adults (15–17 years old) who are travelling with children between the ages of 5 and 14 are not required to pay the Sun Country unaccompanied minor fee. Provided the minor is in the same cabin as the young adult.
- Unless they are the child passenger’s parents, passengers must be at least 18 years old in order to be accountable for a minor accompanying them.
Infants on Lap travel with Sun Country
Passengers travelling with an infant on lap can add the information of the same by booking a flight on Sun Country Airlines. You can also add the infant on lap by calling the airline’s customer service.
Rules for international travel
As per the Sun Country minor policy, passengers must be at least 18 years old in order to be accountable for a kid passenger. In addition –
- Passengers flying with lap infants from any international airport to the United States (with the exception of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will be charged an infant fee.
- Please be aware that a child’s fare varies depending on the country of origin. If a customer is flying roundtrip, the cost will be applied accordingly.
- A certified letter of authorisation is required for children travelling with an adult who is not their parent or legal guardian, as per the Sun country unaccompanied minor policy.
- Special documentation is needed for each country. For more information, we advise getting in touch with the nearest embassy or consulate.
ID requirements for minors
Sun country airlines still require proof of age. Sun country ID requirements for minors include –
- Birth certificate
- Immunization record
- Additionally, a note from the baby’s doctor granting permission to travel is required for infants between 3 and 14 days days old.
As per the Sun country minor policy, the following criteria must be met –
- Infants must be transported in the company of an adult passenger who is at least 15 years old.
- During takeoff and landing, the baby must be placed on the adult’s lap.
- Per passenger, one lap infant is permitted.
- Infants on laps are not permitted in rows near emergency exits.
Baggage allowance for minors
As per the Sun country minor policy, adults travelling with child/infant can bring –
- One diaper bag
- One stroller
- One car seat
- Lap infants do not qualify for checked baggage allowance under the Sun country baggage policy.
- There is no cost associated with checking a child safety seat. However, crib mattresses, strollers, and other infant sleepers will count as checked luggage and must adhere to size and weight restrictions.
Minor Services offered by the Sun Country Airlines
For unaccompanied minors, Sun Country Airlines does not offer child escort services.
Child/infant travelling with 1 parent – A certified Sun Country unaccompanied minor travel consent form signed by both parents/legal guardians must be carried by children travelling with just one parent.
The form must include –
- the names of the child, the parent, and any other people travelling with the kid.
- signature(s) of the non-accompanying parent
- Travel dates
- Origin and destination details
- Reason of travel
- Name, address and phone number of the parents/legal guardian travelling with the kid.
FAQs Related to Sun Country Minor Policy
Sun Country does not mandate car seats. However, FAA-approved child restraint devices are strongly advised for youngsters who are occupying seats but are unable to sit up straight and cannot be adequately restrained with a seatbelt.
Booster seats are allowed on board for a fee and would be considered as checked baggage.
Yes minors who are flying with parents/legal guardians or travelling alone require an ID at the time of check-in. The legal travel documents include –
Passport or birth certificate. Please note that a passport is mandatory for travel outside the United States.
Sun country minor travel consent from.
As per Sun country unaccompanied minor policy, children under the 14 years of age are not allowed to travel alone. They must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 15 years of age.
Yes, infants must be transported in the company of an adult passenger who is at least 15 years old. Per passenger, one lap infant is permitted.
You might think about purchasing a seat option in advance if you wish to sit with your family or travelling buddies. Sun Country will attempt to seat youngsters with at least one adult on the reservation. This condition applies if you are travelling with children and do not select your seat before check-in.