JetBlue Airlines will do everything to make sure that your baggage arrives with you at the final destination or stopover point. In this post, we will cover the JetBlue lost and found policy as what you will need to know, and what steps you should take in case of delayed, missed, or lost luggage. Let’s get started –
JetBlue Baggage Lost and Found Desk
No matter the baggage concern is, here are the following Jetblue baggage-related concerns addressed by the airline –
Damaged Baggage – JetBlue Airlines always strive to handle the checked baggage with care. However, despite the best efforts, the luggage may get prone to major or minor damage during transit. If you notice damage to your luggage on arrival, JetBlue’s lost and found team is ready to help you, as passengers need to escalate it at the JetBlue baggage claim counter as soon as they arrive. Follow these steps –
- JetBlue Baggage Lost and Found Desk at the Airport – Proceed to the JetBlue lost baggage desk to inform about the incident. A Property Irregularity Report (PIR) would be issued along with the JetBlue lost baggage status reference. With these credentials, passengers can track and access all the information concerning damage repair and they will also receive the associated grievance redressal number. At selected airports, the JetBlue lost baggage team may offer replacement baggage before the passenger leaves the airport.
- JetBlue Baggage Claim Online – In case the passenger left the airport, they have 7 days from the date of baggage’s receipt to make a claim with JetBlue airlines lost and found compensation team as they need to complete the form online by contacting JetBlue lost luggage phone number.
In both scenarios, passengers need to submit the following original documents to the JetBlue airlines lost and found team –
- Boarding pass receipt and flight ticket printout
- Baggage tags
- A detailed baggage damage estimate
Please note passengers must receive written authorization from the JetBlue baggage lost and found team before all exchanges and repairs. Without this authorization, JetBlue airlines will not be responsible for any additional charges or fees incurred. Passengers are required to retain the originals of the required documents as they may be requested at a later stage.
Missing Baggage – As per JetBlue airlines lost and found policy, passenger’s baggage will be declared missing after a period of 7 days of scheduled arrival for a domestic flight, and 14 days for the international flight. The JetBlue baggage claim team may ask for the following documents –
- Copy of the passenger’s passport or government-issued photo ID
- Copy of passenger’s bank statement
- SWIFT/TBN/BCB code international transaction
- An authorization letter if the JetBlue flight booking was purchased from a travel agency
In such a case, passengers would be contacted by the JetBlue lost baggage office staff for further action.
Here are the list of airports for JetBlue lost baggage inquiries –
|List of Airports for JetBlue lost and found baggage office||Airport Codes|
|John F. Kennedy International Airport||JFK|
|Los Angeles International Airport||LAX|
|Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport||FLL|
|Boston Logan International Airport||BOS|
|Orlando International Airport||MCO|
|Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport||DCA|
|Newark Liberty International Airport||EWR|
|San Francisco International Airport||SFO|
In such case, passengers have two options to declare the missing baggage – online escalation to JetBlue lost and found within 48 hours of arrival or at the JetBlue baggage claim desk before leaving the airport –
Declare Missing Bags with JetBlue Lost and Found Team – Passengers can declare the missing baggage by completing the form available on JetBlue.com or through the airline’s mobile app within 48 hours of arrival. Passengers need to submit the JetBlue baggage claim receipt number.
- Passengers can find the JetBlue baggage claim receipt number the baggage drop-off counter. If passengers print the baggage tag and boarding pass online, the JetBlue baggage claim receipt number is indicated on the baggage receipt link provided at the passenger’s registered email address.
- All you need to do is enter the receipt number in the JetBlue lost and found form available online. In the end, passengers will receive the JetBlue lost baggage status number. Passengers need to keep this number to track the progress of the search for the baggage on the website.
Declare Missing Baggage at the JetBlue Lost Baggage Desk at the Airport – if passengers are still at the airport, they need to proceed to the JetBlue baggage claim desk. A Property Irregularity Report (PIR) would be issued along with the JetBlue lost and found status reference. With these credentials, passengers can track and access all the information concerning the missing baggage.
- Track JetBlue lost baggage status – Passengers can track the baggage status in real-time with JetBlue airlines lost and found tracking link. Use the PIR number received after submitting your declaration form online or at the airport.
- Claims on necessary items purchased – As per JetBlue airlines lost and found policy, passengers making any necessary purchases such as toiletries, or clothing due to the missing or delayed baggage, can submit a reimbursement request via the JetBlue baggage lost and found online declaration form.
Delayed Baggage – The JetBlue lost and found team couldn’t load your baggage on the flight you took, normally due to safety or technical obligations. Here is what the passengers need to do in case of delayed baggage –
Step1 – As soon as the baggage stops from the carousel, the passengers should immediately approach one of the executives from the JetBlue baggage claim desk.
Step 2 – Passengers need to provide their current reservation details and the baggage tag which was provided at the time of check-in to enable the JetBlue airlines lost and found department to track the lost baggage.
Step 3 – A Property Irregularity Report (PIR) will be provided to the passenger, and upon completion, they would be given a JetBlue baggage lost and found status number.
If the baggage was found, the JetBlue baggage lost baggage tracking department will arrange the delivery to the local address provided in the PIR.
Step 4 – After the receiving of the respective luggage, passengers can file a claim or escalate the matter regarding the delay of the checked baggage, and must notify the airlines within 21 days from the date the baggage has been received by the passenger.
What to Do If the JetBlue Baggage is Not Found?
If your baggage is not located by the JetBlue lost baggage team within 72 hours of declaration, passengers need to log in with their PIR credentials to the JetBlue baggage lost and found baggage search tool in order to fill out the inventory and JetBlue lost baggage compensation form.
Passengers need to describe their missing baggage or the items as precisely as possible, and to indicate the value of each lost item, pair of shoes, or any other item. An accurate and complete description of the lost baggage content is essential for JetBlue lost and found team to track the baggage.
Passengers need to file a complaint in writing via the JetBlue com lost and found portal, as they need to click on the ‘Chat with JetBlue’ icon or the chat bubble located in the bottom-right corner of the page. In case the passenger is using the JetBlue mobile app, then click on the JetBlue baggage claim support – live chat assistance.
Once the chat pops out, follow these steps to submit your complaint with the JetBlue baggage lost and found team –
- From JetBlue’s main menu, click JetBlue airlines lost and found report query
- Select the type of query – Complaint or Question
- Select the subcategory that is related to your query – e.g JetBlue lost baggage service
- Type in your subject e.g – Checked Baggage is missing
- Type in your Booking Reference as well 13-digit e-ticket number
- Type in your email address
- In case the passenger has multiple trips in their reservation PNR, they need to select the journey or the flight segment in order to raise the missing baggage complaint. Please note that passengers can select one journey per case submission.
- Click at the given link to draft the complaint, and attach all the supporting documents to validate the claim and compensation for the missing item or luggage.
- Click on the given link to submit the attachment.
- At the end of the declaration, passengers would be receiving a reference number. Passengers may use the reference number to activate the My Cases account to follow up with your submitted feedback.
JetBlue Lost Baggage Compensation
As per the JetBlue Airlines lost and found policy when travelling on the domestic itinerary, the maximum JetBlue baggage claim compensation on the checked baggage is 3800 USD.
For all international travel, the JetBlue lost baggage claim is 10 USD per pound for the checked bag and up to 400 USD for the carry-on/hand luggage.
In case the passengers’ travel insurance covers the JetBlue lost luggage module, the compensation would be reduced to 1288 USD.
|Type of Liability||Liability Limits|
|Domestic Travel||3800 USD|
|International Travel||10 USD per pound|
|International travel if the missing baggage is covered by the travel insurance||1288 USD|