RyanAir baggage policy allows priority boarding passengers to take one small bag of dimensions 40cm x 20cm x 25cm, and a larger cabin bag of sizes – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm for free in cabin with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg. Whereas, non-priority customers can bring only one small bag that must fit in the sizer.
What is RyanAir Baggage Policy?
All fares covered under the RyanAir Baggage Policy feature a small personal bag that can be carried on board, such as a handbag or laptop bag of RyanAir baggage size – 40cm x 20cm x 25cm (Length x Width x Height)
If you need to carry more baggage, you have the following options –
RyanAir carry on size
If you choose the priority & 2 RyanAir carry on option, you can bring an additional small personal bag.
RyanAir Baggage Size for 2 carry on option –
- 40x20x25cm (Length x Width x Height)
- 55x40x20cm (Lenght x Width x Height), 10 Kg
RyanAir Checked baggage Size
- You can add a 10kg checked bag to your booking
- You can choose a 20kg bag option if you need a larger baggage allowance
You can buy up to three checked bags weighing 20kg each on your booking, You need to drop off your bags at the airport Ryan Air check-in desk before going through security, and they will be stored in the aircraft hold.
Please Note: The RyanAir checked baggage size of the 20 kg checked bag must be within 80cm x 120cm x 120cm.
Infant baggage –
- The airline allows you to carry two items free of charge per child. Infants (up to 23 months of age) cannot check a cabin bag.
- Passengers traveling with infants on a lap can bring a baby bag weighing up to 5 kg. The RyanAir baggage dimensions of the bag must be 45x35x20 cm.
What if carry-on bags exceed the RyanAir baggage dimensions?
Your cabin bags will be checked and put on the aircraft hold after being tagged if the dimensions or RyanAir baggage weight exceeds the baggage sizes for RyanAir allotted for your reservation. In this case, passengers need to pay the RyanAir baggage fees.
How much would the excess baggage fee be for RyanAir?
Below is the overview of the excess baggage fee –
|At the airport
|Excess Baggage Fee (in USD)
|10 USD per kg
|12 USD per kg
Please Note: You can add excess baggage online up to 2 hours before departure or at the time of RyanAir check in.
Excess luggage can be purchased online up to 2 hours before departure for 10 USD per extra kg. The RyanAir baggage cost is 12 USD per kg at the airport, contact center, or kiosk.
If the checked bag exceeds the weight limit specified for your booking (10kg or 20kg), you will have to pay an excess weight fee per additional kilogram. Passengers need to pay the fee mentioned above.
Can you buy excess baggage with RyanAir?
Yes. You can add 20kg bags to your current RyanAir baggage allowance when you check in online for your journey.
Please Note: Passengers may pay for excess baggage to add up to 3kg of excess luggage to each 20kg checked bag during online check-in up to 2 hours before departure.
Excess baggage cannot be purchased online for flights departing from the following airports –
If you need to purchase extra luggage and your flight is out of one of these airports, you can do so at the airport check-in counter.
Does RyanAir allow bag pooling?
Yes, it is acceptable for travelers with the same reservation who have checked bags to pool their luggage together.
As per RyanAir baggage policy, if your reservation calls for two check-in bags that together weigh 20 kg (40 kg), one of them can weigh 15 kg and the other 25 kg. However, it’s crucial to remember that no single bag can weigh more than 32kg.
How does a checked baggage special declaration of value work with RyanAir?
It is advised that you request a specific RyanAir baggage policy called “Checked Baggage Special Declaration of Value” if you are traveling with valuable items or mobility aids.
By doing this, you’ll be able to guard your possessions against any loss or harm while traveling. In case of an unforeseen incident, the airline’s liability cap will be increased from roughly 1776 USD to 3100 per person (or from 1,288 to -2,262 Special Drawing Rights in accordance with the Montreal Convention 1999).
What are the items that are prohibited as checked baggage?
The following cannot be allowed in your checked luggage, as per RyanAir baggage policy –
|Precious metals, jewelry, or other goods.
|Laptops, cell phones, and tablets, or extra lithium batteries
|Contact lenses, sunglasses, or glasses
|Tobacco, and Cigarettes
|Documents related to business
|Passport and other identification
What are the prohibited items that are not allowed as checked as well as carry-on bags?
Ryanair has a list of prohibited items that are not allowed in both checked and carry-on baggage for safety and security reasons. The prohibited items under RyanAir baggage policy include:
- Explosive or incendiary substances and devices, such as fireworks, flares, and grenades.
- Compressed gasses, such as butane, oxygen, and propane.
- Flammable liquids and solids, such as gasoline, lighter fluid, and matches.
- Poisonous, toxic, or infectious substances, such as insecticides and infectious materials.
- Radioactive materials, such as isotopes for medical or commercial use.
- Corrosive materials, such as mercury, acids, and alkalis.
- Firearms, including any components or replicas, and ammunition.
- Stun guns, tasers, and other similar devices.
- Self-defense sprays, such as pepper spray or mace.
- Lithium batteries with more than 160 watt-hours of power.
How much is the RyanAir baggage fee?
Below is the overview of the Ryan Air baggage fee for checked luggage –
|At the time of booking
|At the airport
|Priority & 2 Cabin Bags
|Between 8 – 35 USD
|Between 8 – 40 USD
|10kg Check-in Bag
|Between 15 – 30 USD
|Between 25 – 40 USD
|20kg Check-in Bag
|Between 20 – 55 USD
|Between 45 – 65 USD
|Fee for Special Declaration of Valuable Baggage
How do I add the excess baggage at the airport for my RyanAir flight booking?
If you need to add extra baggage for Ryanair flight, you can do it at the airport. Do the following –
- Ensure you leave enough time to go to the airport before your trip
- It’s best to give yourself enough time to avoid any delays because adding extra baggage can take some time
- Go to the Ryanair check-in counter and inform the agent that you need to add more baggage to your reservation
- Your bags will be weighed by the attendant, who will also inform you of the applicable over-baggage fee. This RyanAir bagagge cost is payable in cash or by credit card
- You would be issued a boarding pass and baggage tags for your excess baggage thereafter
- Make your way to the baggage drop-off location and place your bags there, making sure the excess baggage tags are on them
Please Note: It’s crucial to keep in mind that adding extra baggage at the airport have cost of baggage on RyanAir more than adding it online.
What is RyanAir baggage policy on E-devices?
Passengers can take e-cigs and vapes on board but cannot use them. In addition –
- Passengers are allowed to carry ‘Smart Bags’ as hand luggage.
- You must remove the lithium battery before placing the bag in the overhead storage.
- The battery must always be carried in the personal item which must be kept under the seat in front of you.
- You are allowed to bring up to 20 lithium batteries and up to 15 electronic devices on the airline.
Can I bring sports equipment on board with RyanAir?
RyanAir baggage policy has guidelines regarding the sports equipment that can be carried on board. Here’s what you need to know –
Small sports equipment –
As long as the equipment complies with the RyanAir size baggage and weight requirements, you are permitted to bring small sports equipment. These items include –
- Tennis rackets
- Golf clubs
Large sports equipment –
These items include –
- Dive tanks
How can I add sports equipment on a RyanAir flight?
In addition to your own checked Ryan Air baggage allowance, passengers are permitted to check up to 20 kg of sporting equipment in the aircraft’s hold. To add sports items –
- Scroll down to the booking extras section and choose “Sports equipment” to add equipment.
- Choose the equipment type, the number of items, and the number of sectors from the drop-down menu.
- Click the plus sign and follow the on-screen directions if you plan to check in more than one type of equipment.
How to travel with sports items on a RyanAir flight?
When traveling with sports items on a Ryanair flight, there are several things to keep in mind –
- Bicycles must be kept in a protective bag and weigh no more than 30 kg in order to be accepted for travel.
- RyanAir does not allow e-bikes either as a cabin or checked bag.
- Any sporting equipment that won’t fit in your cabin luggage must be checked in the baggage hold.
- Sports items that exceed 20 kg will incur an excess baggage fee.
- Make sure to label your sports equipment with your name, address, and contact information.
- Arrive at the airport early to give yourself plenty of time to check in your sports equipment.
How to add a musical instrument to RyanAir flight booking?
Go to the Ryanair check-in counter at the airport and let the employees know you are bringing a musical instrument. You will receive a tag to attach to the instrument. Alternatively, you can add musical instruments online –
- Go to the RyanAir Manage Booking section, and select ‘Booking Extras’.
- Choose “Musical equipment” from the list.
- Select the number of items and directions (if it is a return or a one-way flight).
How much is the fee for carrying musical instruments?
Any musical instrument that weighs more than the permitted 20 kg will incur a Ryanair overweight baggage fee of 14 USD per kg.
NOTE: You must check any musical instruments in the hold that won’t fit as a carry-on bag.
How do I report my checked bags if it is lost or damaged?
You should notify RyanAir right after your arrival if your checked bag is lost or damaged. Follow these steps –
- When you reach the airport at your destination and discover that your bag is missing or damaged, go straight to the airline’s baggage service desk and report the loss or damage
- When you checked your bag in, the airline personnel gave you a baggage tag, which they requested. The airline can trace your bag using the special identification number on this tag
- Provide a thorough description of your bag, mentioning its dimensions, color, and any special characteristics or markings
- Alternatively, please provide a list of the items that were in your bag in the event that it is misplaced
- Passengers are required to complete a baggage claim form. Your contact information, flight information, and a description of the bag’s contents are all requested on this form
- Keep a copy of the baggage claim form for your records
- Follow up with RyanAir frequently to find out the status of your claim if your bag is missing
Please Note: Checked baggage on RyanAir that is lost, delayed, or damaged must be reported to the RyanAir lost and found desk at the airport of your destination.
How and when can I find out the status of my bag claim?
If your checked baggage gets lost, delayed, or damaged, you need to inform the Lost Property Desk at the airport where you arrived. Afterward, you must submit your claim to Ryanair within specific time frames.
- In case of damaged baggage, you need to report it at the arrival airport and file the claim with Ryanair within 7 days from the date when the damage occurred.
- For misplaced baggage, the claim must be submitted within 21 days from the date on which it was lost and reported at the airport.
RyanAir baggage policy is in place to make sure the passengers have a pleasant and uncanny experience while flying with the airlines. Ryan allows one small baggage and one large size baggage to the priority boarding customers and it also allows non-standard baggage such as musical instruments and sports equipment as carry on and as checked baggage.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What will happen if my checked bag exceeds the size limit at the check-in desk?
If the dimensions of your checked luggage are larger than RyanAir baggage allowance, you have to check it in at the oversized baggage desk and pay the applicable fee.
How and when can I find out the status of my bag claim?
Claims for damaged or delayed baggage will be handled within 15 working days, while claims for lost baggage will be handled after 28 working days.
What are my options if priority and 2 cabin bags are no longer available?
You can still book a 10kg Check-in Bag if the Priority & 2 Cabin Bags option is not available. But before going through security, you must pay for the 10 kg bag at the airport check-in counter.
Can you take a handbag as well as hand luggage on RyanAir?
No, your handbag must be inside your carry-on as they only allow one piece of hand baggage.
How strict is RyanAir with cabin baggage size?
RyanAir only permits you to bring 1 personal bag for free and it must fit under the seat in front of you.