For the passengers who are willing to make a cancellation on their bookings with Lufthansa, here are complete details about the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy. Here are the major pointers of the Lufthansa cancellation policy that will help passengers to void their bookings :
- The cancellation can be requested within 24 hours to claim a 100% refund of the ticket value, as it is required that the date of departure must be at least 7 days before the departure.
- Beyond 24 hours, passengers are liable to pay Lufthansa airlines cancellation fee of $200 USD.
- Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy would be applicable on the restricted and non-restricted fare rules of the purchased reservation.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy covers flights booked via an online portal, over the phone, or at the ticket counter.
- Passengers can claim the unused portion of the ticket to book new flights within 365 days from the date of departure.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation refund would be credited back to the original form of payment within 2-3 business days in the original form of payment.
- In the case of canceled flight circumstances, you can obtain a refund free of charge without filling out any refund form.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation policy would be applicable on bookings made at the airline’s portal, reservation helpline, or at the ticket counter.
- If your travel has been impacted by the bereavement of an immediate family member within 4 weeks from the date of travel and you do not intend to travel, you can claim a Lufthansa flight cancellation refund. The refund can be claimed by providing a death certificate and related documents for validation.
- In the case of the canceled flights event, passengers have the right to obtain a full refund without any charge. Depending on the severity of the canceled event, in some cases, passengers would also be eligible for Lufthansa canceled flights compensation.
- To request Lufthansa cancel non refundable tickets, only taxes and airline surcharges would be offered as a refund and is subject to cancellation fees.
- Lufthansa cancel return flight request would be automatically applied if the passenger fails to board the outbound flight and is marked as ‘no-show’.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation rules would only be applicable on the flights operated by the airlines. In the case of multiple carriers involved in a booking, the most restrictive fare rules would be applicable at the time of flight cancellation.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy within 24 Hours
Our travel plans often change without warning. Using the online interface passengers flight booking can be canceled and refunded online within 24 hours of purchase :
- Beyond 24 hours, Lufthansa free cancellation would not apply and refunds of the purchased ticket are dependent on the type of ticket purchased.
- Passengers who cancel within 24 hours would be eligible for 100% only if the departure date must be at-least 7 days or more from the date of cancellation.
- Lufthansa 24 hours cancellation policy would be applicable on all fare types and classes of service booked.
- The refund processed for the Lufthansa free cancellation would be credited back to the original payment method in 7-10 business days.
- All the Lufthansa flights purchased with the loyalty club points do not under Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy within 24 hours would not be applied on a group reservation. All the group bookings would be subject to the group fare rules.
- Lufthansa cancel within 24 hours request would be applicable on the refundable as well as non-refundable fare rules applied to the passenger’s ticket
- Lufthansa airlines ticket cancellation within 24 hours would not be applicable on the flights booked with airlines miles and reward bonus
- Passengers can cancel Lufthansa flight within 24 hours barring any additional fees and taxes if the scheduled departure date is at least 7 days at the time of cancellation
- To cancel Lufthansa flight within 24 hours, passengers need to visit “Manage Booking’ online in order to complete their requests.
Lufthansa COVID Cancellation Policy
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy for COVID-19, due to the ongoing pandemic the airlines offers the flexibility so as to make the travel plans more flexible. Also, no change/cancel fee is assessed. If you are flying in the next few days – in the event wherein the flight is canceled – then your ticket remains valid. It can be used up to 3 years from the date of cancellation. Rebooking within the same travel class is free of charge.
You can rebook the flight through the Lufthansa Manage Booking section.
If you like to postpone your travel plans – The airlines will rebook you free of charge to an alternate flight to the same flight destination and in the same travel class as originally booked. In most of the cases, the airlines would not be able to book an alternate flight option instantly. However, you need to book the flight within the ticket validity period.
- The Lufthansa COVID cancellation policy guides that in case the passenger has already submitted the refund request via online, phone or email, he/she may not re-submit. It may delay the process.
- In case the flight ticket is completely unused, the airline will refund the unused portion in the original form of payment.
If a passenger wants to make a new booking – Passengers need to make a new booking with the travel credit without paying any change fees. You can also alter the origin and destination point. If the new fare is more expensive than the existing one, a fare difference may apply. The fare condition must adhere to the Lufthansa cancellation policy due to COVID.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
The airline charges a cancellation fee of 200 USD on all fare types and the class of services booked, as per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
- All the refundable fares would be eligible for the Lufthansa flight cancellation refund where after the dedication of the Lufthansa cancellation fee, the rest of the fare value would be credited back to the original payment method.
- Lufthansa cancellation on non-refundable fare would not be eligible for cash refund but after the cancel fee deduction, the rest of the airfare balance would be converted into the travel credit. The travel credit can be used to purchase the new flights provided that the travel has to be completed within 365 days from the date of issuance.
Passengers who do not wish to be charged cancellation fees can go for changing their booking. This is presented through the features of the Lufthansa flight change policy. When changed in accordance with the policy’s terms, free changes may be availed of.
How to cancel a Lufthansa flight?
Via online and offline methods, Lufthansa cancellation can be requested without any hassle. Let’s understand each one of them
Cancel Flight Ticket Online – Here are the following steps that help you with Lufthansa cancellations online :
- Visit the Lufthansa homepage and click on ‘Manage Booking’ to log in with your booking credential.
- Enter your booking reference along with the last name of the passenger. A booking that would be eligible for cancellation/changes will be displayed. A ‘refundable fare’ booking will be highlighted in the booking summary.
- Click on the ‘Cancellation’ button next to the relevant booking and confirm your selection to proceed.
- You will get the information of the eligible refund on your booking. In case of non-refundable fare, you will get the information displayed about the due travel credit on your booking.
- Once the cancellation is done, you will receive an automatic confirmation email.
- Your flight will be canceled and the refund will be transferred to your bank account or credited to your debit/credit card.
With the help of the Lufthansa cancellation policy due to COVID, when you are reversing your flight, this method is suggested. It aims to cancel your flight in less time as you can execute it yourself with all the speed.
Cancel Flight Via Ticket Office – All Lufthansa cancellations can be requested by visiting the airport counter or at the Lufthansa ticket office. All you need is the booking reference details which would be needed while retrieving your reservation. Please note passengers requesting Lufthansa booking cancellation also need to carry their government-issued photo-ID for verification purposes.
Denial of Boarding and Involuntary Cancellation with Lufthansa
In case you have been denied boarding for a reserved seat on Lufthansa, you may be entitled to Lufthansa cancelled flight compensation.
Lufthansa canceled flight compensation is only applicable if you are denied boarding on the day of travel and not prior to scheduled departure where you would be notified about the rescheduling or rebooking options. Here’s the overview of the boarding priorities that need to be considered due to any unforeseen circumstances –
- If the flight is overbooked (more passengers are booked than the available seats on the plane), and the passenger is denied boarding against his or her will, the traveler would be covered under Lufthansa canceled flights compensation and has the right to obtain a full refund without any charges.
Compensation for passengers who denied boarding on Lufthansa flight:
If you’re denied boarding against your will, you’re entitled to Lufthansa cancelled flight compensation from the airlines.
Passengers traveling to and from the USA and Canada who have been denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to :
- Zero compensation if Lufthansa offers an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour of the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 200% of the booking value with a maximum value of $675 USD, if the alternate flight planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 400% of the booking value with a maximum value of $1350 USD, if Lufthansa couldn’t able to offer an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
|0 to 1-hour arrival delay||No compensation|
|1 to 4-hour arrival delay||200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)|
|Over 4 hours arrival delay||400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)|
Lufthansa Cancelled Flight Compensation In Case of Delayed Flights
Here’s an overview of Lufthansa cancel flight compensation in case of delayed flights :
Lufthansa flight delay occurs when the scheduled departure time is delayed by at least:
- If the distance is more than 3500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $725 USD.
- In case of a flight is between 1500 and 3500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $500 USD.
- two hours in case of flights of up to 1,500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $300 USD.
Passengers need to fill up the Lufthansa cancelled flight compensation form to claim the above-mentioned amount.
Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Refund Policy
- As per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy, the flight cancellation refund would be applied to the unused portion of the ticket
- As per Lufthansa cancellation refund policy, the refund would be made either to the passenger named on the ticket or the person who paid for the reservation
Processing this refund or claiming it may be difficult when the name is incorrect. To avoid the trouble, please use the Lufthansa name change policy and get the needful done.
- Lufthansa canceled flight refund would be eligible if the flight schedule is determined, or fails to operate within 2 weeks of the scheduled departure time.
- The refunded values the amount equal to the fare paid minus the Lufthansa cancellation charges of $200 USD.
- The airline would not offer Lufthansa flight cancellation refund if the request is made later than six months after the expiry of the validity of the booking.
- All refunds for the voluntary cancellations to be claimed via Lufthansa canceled flight contact number at +1-844-673-0381
Lufthansa COVID Refund Policy
As the airline enables you to cancel your flights during the pandemic. It also gives you the flexibility to claim refunds. For the claims to be made by you and settled by the airline, following certain conditions is necessary. These conditions are based on time and restriction-related factors during the coronavirus crisis.
Owing to the Lufthansa COVID refund policy, to make a claim, the following conditions need to be met:
- Your flight must be cancelled or there must be a schedule change for more than 5 hours.
- The flight must be operated and the validating carrier must be Lufthansa.
- There must be a travel advisory issued that causes a flight disruption or flight delay.
- Ensure that the departure or arrival point has state-imposed travel restrictions.
- See to it that the destination country has issued 14-day or more airport quarantine norms.