For the passengers who are willing to make a cancellation on their bookings with Lufthansa, here are complete details about the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy. Here are the major pointers of the Lufthansa cancellation policy that will help passengers to void their bookings :
- Passengers can request cancellation within 24 hours to claim a 100% refund of the ticket value, but the date of departure must be at least 7 days before the departure.
- Beyond 24 hours, passengers are liable to pay a Lufthansa airlines cancellation fee of $200 USD.
- Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy would be applicable on the restricted and non-restricted fare rules of the purchased reservation.
- Lufthansa’s cancellation policy covers flights booked via an online portal, over the phone, or at the ticket counter.
- Passengers can claim the unused portion of the ticket to book new flights within 365 days from the date of departure.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation refund amount would be back to the original source of payment within 2-3 business days in the original form of payment.
- In the case of canceled flight circumstances, you can obtain a refund free of charge without filling out any refund form.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation policy applies on bookings made at the airline’s portal, reservation helpline, or at the ticket counter.
- In the case of a canceled flight event, passengers have the right to obtain a full refund without any charge. Depending on the severity, passengers would also be eligible for Lufthansa cancel flight compensation.
- To request Lufthansa cancel non-refundable tickets, only taxes and airline surcharges would be offered as a refund and is subject to cancellation fees.
- Lufthansa cancel return flight request would be automatically applied if the passenger fails to board the outbound flight and is marked as a ‘no-show’.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation rules would apply on the flights operated by the airlines. In the case of multiple carriers involved in a booking, the most restrictive fare rules would be applicable at the time of flight cancellation.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy within 24 Hours
Our travel plans often change without warning. Using the online interface passengers’ flight booking can cancel and refund online within 24 hours of purchase :
- Beyond 24 hours, Lufthansa free cancellation would not apply and refunds of the ticket are dependent on the type of ticket passengers have.
- Passengers who cancel within 24 hours would be eligible for a 100% refund only if the departure date must be at least 7 days or more from the date of cancellation.
- Lufthansa 24 hours cancellation policy would be applicable on all fare types and classes of service booked.
- The refund amount for the Lufthansa free cancellation would back to the original payment method in 7-10 business days.
- All the Lufthansa flights purchased with the loyalty club points do not under Lufthansa 24-hour cancellation policy.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy within 24 hours would not apply to a group reservation. All the group bookings would be subject to the group fare rules.
- Lufthansa cancel within 24 hours request would be applicable on the refundable as well as non-refundable fare rules applied to the passenger’s ticket.
- Lufthansa airlines ticket cancellation within 24 hours would not be applicable on the flights booked with airline miles and a reward bonus.
- Passengers can cancel a Lufthansa flight within 24 hours barring any additional fees and taxes if the scheduled departure date is at least 7 days at the time of cancellation.
- To cancel a Lufthansa flight within 24 hours, passengers need to visit `Manage Booking’ online in order to complete their requests.
Lufthansa COVID Cancellation Policy
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy for COVID-19, due to the worldwide pandemic, the airlines offer flexibility so as to make the travel plans more flexible. Also, no change/cancellation fee will apply, if you are flying in the next few days.
If your flight is canceled – then your ticket remains valid for free schedule change. It can be used up to 3 years from the date of cancellation. Rebooking within the same travel class is free of charge.
You can rebook the flight through the Lufthansa Manage Booking section.
If You Like to Postpone Your Travel Plans
The airlines will rebook your flight ticket free of charge to an alternate flight to the same destination and in the same travel class as originally booked.
In most cases, the airlines would not be able to book an alternate flight option instantly. However, you need to book the flight within the ticket validity period.
- The Lufthansa COVID cancellation policy guides that in case the passenger has already submitted the refund request via online, phone, or email, he/she may not re-submit. It may delay the process.
- In case, the flight ticket is completely unused, the airline will refund the unused portion in the original form of payment.
If a passenger wants to make a new booking
Passengers need to make a new booking with the travel credit without paying any change fees. You can also alter the origin and destination point. If the new fare is more expensive than the existing one, a fare difference may apply. The fare condition must adhere to the Lufthansa cancellation policy due to COVID.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
The airline charges a cancellation fee of 200 USD on all fare types and the class of services booked, as per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
- All the refundable fares would be eligible for the Lufthansa flight cancellation refund after the deduction of the Lufthansa cancellation fee. The rest of the fare value would be back to the original payment method.
- Lufthansa cancellation on a non-refundable fare would not be eligible for a cash refund.
- After the cancel fee deduction, the rest of the airfare balance will convert into the travel credit.
- The travel credit can be used to purchase the new flights provided that the travel has to be completed within 365 days from the date of issuance.
Passengers who do not wish to be charged cancellation fees can go for changing their booking. This is presented through the features of the Lufthansa flight change policy. When changed in accordance with the policy’s terms, free changes may be availed of.
How to cancel a Lufthansa flight?
Via online and offline methods, Lufthansa cancellation can request without any hassle. Let’s understand each one of them
Cancel Flight Ticket Online
Here are the following steps that help you with Lufthansa cancellations online :
- Visit the Lufthansa homepage and click on ‘Manage Booking’ to log in with your booking credential.
- Enter your booking reference along with the last name of the passenger. A booking that would be eligible for cancellation/changes will be displayed. A ‘refundable fare’ booking will be highlighted in the booking summary.
- Click on the ‘Cancellation’ button next to the relevant booking and confirm your selection to proceed.
- You will get the information about the eligible refund on your booking. In the case of non-refundable fare, you will get the information displayed about the due travel credit on your booking.
- Once the cancellation is done, you will receive an automatic confirmation email.
- Your flight will cancel and the refund amount will be back to your bank account or credited to your debit/credit card.
With the help of the Lufthansa cancellation policy due to COVID, when you are reversing your flight, this method is suggested. It aims to cancel your flight in less time as you can execute it yourself with all the speed.
Cancel Flight Via Ticket Office
All Lufthansa cancellations can be requested by visiting the airport counter or at the Lufthansa ticket office. All you need is the booking reference details which would be needed while retrieving your reservation. Please note passengers requesting Lufthansa booking cancellation also need to carry their government-issued photo ID for verification purposes.
Denial of Boarding and Involuntary Cancellation with Lufthansa
In case you have been denied boarding for a reserved seat on Lufthansa, you may be entitled to Lufthansa canceled flight compensation.
Lufthansa canceled flight compensation is only applicable if you are denied boarding on the day of travel and not prior to scheduled departure where you would be notified about the rescheduling or rebooking options. Here’s the overview of the boarding priorities that need to be considered due to any unforeseen circumstances –
- If the flight is overbooked (more passengers are booked than the available seats on the plane), and the passenger is denied boarding against his or her will, the traveler would be covered under Lufthansa canceled flight compensation and has the right to obtain a full refund.
Compensation for passengers who denied boarding on Lufthansa flight:
If you’re denied boarding against your will, you’re entitled to Lufthansa canceled flight compensation from the airlines.
Passengers traveling to and from the USA and Canada who have been denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to :
- Zero compensation if Lufthansa offers an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 200% of the booking value with a maximum value of $675 USD, if the alternate flight is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 400% of the booking value with a maximum value of $1350 USD, if Lufthansa couldn’t able to offer an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
|0 to 1-hour arrival delay||No compensation|
|1 to 4-hour arrival delay||200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)|
|Over 4 hours arrival delay||400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)|
Lufthansa Cancelled Flight Compensation In Case of Delayed Flights
Here’s an overview of Lufthansa cancel flight compensation in case of delayed flights :
Lufthansa flight delay occurs when the scheduled departure time is delayed by at least:
- If the distance is more than 3500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $725 USD.
- In case of a flight is between 1500 and 3500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $500 USD.
- For flights of up to 1,500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is $300 USD.
Passengers need to fill up the Lufthansa canceled flight compensation form to claim the above-mentioned amount.
Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Refund Policy
- As per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy, the flight cancellation refund would be applied to the unused portion of the ticket.
- The refund would be made either to the passenger named on the ticket or the person who paid for the reservation – as per Lufthansa cancellation refund policy,
Processing this refund or claiming it may be difficult when the name is incorrect. To avoid the trouble, please use the Lufthansa name change policy and get the needful done.
- Lufthansa canceled flight refund would be eligible if the flight schedule is determined, or fails to operate within 2 weeks of the scheduled departure time.
- The refunded values and amount are equal to the fare paid minus the Lufthansa cancellation charges of $200 USD.
- The airline would not offer Lufthansa flight cancellation refund if the request is made later than six months after the expiry of the validity of the booking.
- All refunds for the voluntary cancellations are to be claimed via Lufthansa’s canceled flight contact number.
Lufthansa COVID Refund Policy
As the airline enables you to cancel your flights during the pandemic. It also gives you the flexibility to claim refunds. For the claims to be made by you and settled by the airline, following certain conditions is necessary. These conditions are based on time and restriction-related factors during the coronavirus crisis.
Owing to the Lufthansa COVID refund policy, to make a claim, the following conditions need to be met:
- Your flight must be canceled or there must be a schedule change for more than 5 hours.
- The flight must be operated and the validating carrier must be Lufthansa.
- There must be a travel advisory issued that causes a flight disruption or flight delay.
- Ensure that the departure or arrival point has state-imposed travel restrictions.
- See to it that the destination country has issued 14-day or more airport quarantine norms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy
To check your flight status, click on the ‘My Booking’ section and log in with your booking reference and the last name of the passenger. Any booking which is canceled would be displayed.
Lufthansa charges a cancellation fee of 200 USD on all fare types and the class of services selected. To avail of Lufthansa free cancellation, you must cancel the booking within 24 hours of purchase.
Yes, The airline has a risk-free policy (24-hour cancellation policy). Through the Lufthansa 24-hour cancellation policy, the airline allows passengers to cancel their flights for free. If you cancel within the risk-free period, you will not be charged any cancellation fees.
Yes, under Lufthansa 24 hour free cancellation policy, you can cancel or change your booking for free. The passengers can also request changes within 24 hours at no extra charge. Only the fare difference applies.
As per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy, If the Lufthansa flight is canceled and the reason is attributed directly to the airlines, passengers are not only entitled to get a refund but also Lufthansa canceled flight compensation.
Lufthansa canceled flight compensation is only applicable if you are denied boarding on the day of travel and not prior to scheduled departure where you would be notified about the rescheduling or rebooking options.
Yes, passengers have the right to cancel the Lufthansa flight ticket up to three hours prior to the scheduled departure and are subject to the Lufthansa cancellation fee.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy 24 hours after booking rule would be applicable where the passengers will get the refund on the remaining value of the booking.
If your Lufthansa flight is canceled, passengers are entitled to get a refund, as well as Lufthansa, canceled flight compensation depending upon the flight distance and the delay length in relation to the passenger’s waiting time.
If your Lufthansa flight is canceled passengers would be notified via email, text, or call. It is recommended to provide your updated contact details at the time of booking. Passengers can also update their contact number via the Manage Booking section in the ‘My personal information tab.
As per Lufthansa Cancellation Policy, the Lufthansa air ticket cancellation charges of 200 USD would be applicable after 24 hours of booking if passengers opt to cancel the flight. Depending upon the fare rule purchased, passengers either get a refund on the remaining value of the fare or in the form of taxes and fees only.
Lufthansa flight cancellation refund would be credited back to the original form of payment within 2-3 business days in the original form of payment.
You have the option of canceling your flight and getting a refund during the pandemic. To claim your Lufthansa COVID-19 refund, you can ensure that the cancellation of your flight is confirmed. Then you can contact the airline’s team and place the refund request.
The Lufthansa COVID cancellation policy enables you to undo your booking. On observing the extreme consequences of coronavirus, the airline has ensured the benefit of free cancellations.
Yes, you can claim a full refund on your Lufthansa ticket provided you request the flight cancellation within 24 hours of purchase and the departure date must be at least 7 days at the time of cancelation.
I had made my bookings with Lufthansa Airlines. Prior to the departure of my flight, I met with an accident and was declared unfit to travel. I had to cancel my bookings. I spoke to representatives and told him about my medical conditions. He asked me to provide a medical certificate and informed me about the Lufthansa cancellation policy. Though the airline charged my cancellation fee, I got the rest of the amount back into the bank account.
Airlines like Lufthansa are well-known for being luxurious. Our knowledge of the airline’s customer service is limited. I bought the tickets a few months in advance since I do not wish to pay more. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am unable to attend the event. So I phoned the customer service team and asked the assigned agent to handle my tickets. The agent asked me to pay USD 400 as a cancellation fee while demonstrating clauses of the Lufthansa cancellation policy. I made the payment and secured my refund.
Considering my agent was out of the country, I was relieved to learn how to cancel my planned tickets. I started my investigation for this near the bottom of this page. They helped me remember the customer support number, and they were able to assist me with the cancellation procedure. I paid the Lufthansa cancellation fees and quickly received my reimbursement mail on the same day.
Actually I bought a ticket on Lufthansa business class in 14 August 2022. For obvious reasons I could not fly and I had cancelled my flight under Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation rules but almost 3 weeks are gone, I have been chasing them for a refund & they just don’t care. The airline does not respond to emails & the customer service is rude & has no knowledge. Can you help to solve this problem of mine, your help will be appreciated.
Lufthansa airlines canceled my flight without giving any proper reasons. We booked the flight from Munich to Boston. After check in they announced it is delayed by 7 hours. 3 hours before boarding time they announced as flight cancelled. First they told technical issues, then they told weather issues. Flight had 123 passengers and they planned to shift passengers in multiple days to fill those days flight.
Thanks to your assistance and support, instead of schedule change I got full refund against cancellation.