For the passengers who are willing to make a cancellation on their bookings with Lufthansa, here are complete details about the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy.
Here are the major pointers of the Lufthansa cancellation policy that will help passengers to void their bookings :
- Lufthansa cancellation can be requested within 24 hours to claim a 100% refund of the ticket value, as it is required that the date of departure must be atleast 7 days before the departure.
- Beyond 24 hours, passengers are liable to pay Lufthansa airlines cancellation fee of 200 USD.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy would be applicable on the restricted and non-restricted fare rules of the purchased reservation.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy covers flights booked via an online portal, over the phone, or at the ticket counter.
- Passengers can claim the unused portion of the ticket to book new flights within 365 days from the date of departure.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation refund would be credited back to the original form of payment within 2-3 business days in the original form of payment.
- In the case of Lufthansa’s canceled flight circumstances, you can obtain a refund free of charge without filling out any refund form.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation policy would be applicable on bookings made at the airline’s portal, Lufthansa reservation helpline, or at the ticket counter.
- If your travel has been impacted by the bereavement of an immediate family member within 4 weeks from the date of travel and you do not intend to travel, you can claim a Lufthansa flight cancellation refund. The refund can be claimed by providing a death certificate and related documents for validation.
- In the case of the Lufthansa canceled flight event, passengers have the right to obtain a full refund without any charge. Depending on the severity of the canceled event, in some cases, passengers would also be eligible for Lufthansa canceled flight compensation.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy within 24 hours
Our travel plans often change without warning. Using the online interface passengers Lufthansa flight booking can be canceled and refunded online within 24 hours of purchase :
- Beyond 24 hours, Lufthansa free cancellation would not apply and refunds of the purchased ticket are dependent on the type of ticket purchased.
- Passengers who cancel within 24 hours would be eligible for 100% only if the departure date must be atleast 7 days or more from the date of cancellation.
- Lufthansa 24 hours cancellation policy would be applicable on all fare types and class of service booked.
- The refund processed for the Lufthansa free cancellation would be credited back to the original payment method in 7-10 business days.
- All the Lufthansa flights purchased with the loyalty club points do not under Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy.
- Lufthansa cancellation policy within 24 hours would not be applied on a group reservation. All the Lufthansa group bookings would be subject to the group fare rules.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
Lufthansa charges a cancellation fee of 200 USD on all fare types and the class of services booked.
- All the refundable fares would be eligible for the Lufthansa flight cancellation refund where after the dedication of the Lufthansa cancellation fee, the rest of the fare value would be credited back to the original payment method.
- Lufthansa cancellation on non-refundable fare would not be eligible for cash refund but after the cancel fee deduction, the rest of the airfare balance would be converted into the travel credit. The travel credit can be used to purchase the new Lufthansa flights provided that the travel has to be completed within 365 days from the date of issuance.
How to cancel a Lufthansa flight?
Via online and offline methods, Lufthansa cancellation can be requested without any hassle. Let’s understand each one of them
Cancel Flight Ticket Online – Here are the following steps that help you with Lufthansa cancellations online :
- Visit the Lufthansa home page and click on ‘My Booking’ to log in with your booking credential.
- Enter your booking reference along with the last name of the passenger. A booking that would be eligible for cancellation/changes will be displayed. A ‘refundable fare’ booking will be highlighted in the booking summary.
- Click on the ‘Cancellation’ button next to the relevant booking and confirm your selection to proceed.
- You will get the information of the eligible refund on your booking. In case of non-refundable fare, you will get the information displayed about the due travel credit on your booking.
- Once the cancellation is done, you will receive an automatic confirmation email.
- Your flight will be canceled and the refund will be transferred to your bank account or credited to your debit/credit card.
Cancel Flight Via Ticket Office – All Lufthansa cancellations can be requested by visiting the airport counter or at the Lufthansa ticket office. All you need is the booking reference details which would be needed while retrieving your reservation. Please note passengers requesting Lufthansa booking cancellation also need to carry their government-issued photo-ID for verification purposes.
Denial of Boarding and Involuntary Cancellation with Lufthansa
In case you have been denied boarding for a reserved seat on Lufthansa, you may be entitled to Lufthansa canceled flight compensation.
Lufthansa canceled flight compensation is only applicable if you denied boarding on the day of travel and not prior to scheduled departure where you would be notified about the rescheduling or rebooking options. Here’s the overview of the boarding priorities that need to be considered due to any unforeseen circumstances –
- If the flight is overbooked (more passengers are booked than the available seats on the plane), and the passenger is denied boarding against his or her will, the traveler would be covered under Lufthansa canceled flight compensation and has the right to obtain a full refund without any charges.
Compensation for passengers who denied boarding on Lufthansa flight:
If you’re denied boarding against your will, you’re entitled to Lufthansa canceled flight compensation from the airlines unless –
- If you have not complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in, and other boarding requirements
- If you’re not fit for boarding under the airline’s usual rules and guidelines.
- If you’re denied boarding because the flight is canceled.
- If you’re denied boarding because you’re re-routed on a smaller capacity aircraft due to safety or operational reasons.
- If you’re denied boarding due to luggage restrictions
- If you’re offered seating in a section of aircraft other than specified in your booking at no extra cost
- If Lufthansa is able to schedule you in another plane which is planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.
Passengers traveling to and from the USA and Canada who have been denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to :
- Zero compensation if Lufthansa offers an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour of the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 200% of the booking value with a maximum value of 675 USD, if the alternate flight planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
- 400% of the booking value with a maximum value of 1350 USD, if Lufthansa couldn’t able to offer an alternate flight that is planned to arrive at the final destination or stopover no later than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival of the passenger’s original flight.
|0 to 1-hour arrival delay||No compensation|
|1 to 4-hour arrival delay||200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)|
|Over 4 hours arrival delay||400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)|
Lufthansa Canceled Flight Compensation In Case of Delayed Flights
Here’s an overview of Lufthansa cancel flight compensation in case of delayed flights :
Lufthansa flight delay occurs when the scheduled departure time is delayed by at least:
- four hours if the distance between point A and B is more than 3500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is 725 USD
- three hours in the case of a flight is between 1500 and 3500 Km from point A and B, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is 500 USD
- two hours in case of flights of up to 1,500 Km, the Lufthansa cancel flight compensation is 300 USD
Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Refund Policy
- Lufthansa flight cancellation refund would be applied to the unused portion of the ticket
- As per Lufthansa cancellation refund policy, the refund would be made either to the passenger named on the ticket or the person who paid for the reservation
- Lufthansa canceled flight refund would be eligible if the flight scheduled is determined, or fails to operate within 2 weeks of the scheduled departure time.
- In the case of Lufthansa cancellations, the refunded values the amount equal to the fare paid minus the Lufthansa cancellation fee of 200 USD.
- The airline would not offer Lufthansa flight cancellation refund if the request is made later than six months after the expiry of the validity of the booking.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)
To check your flight status, click on the ‘My Booking’ section and login with your booking reference and the last name of the passenger. Any booking which is canceled would be displayed.
Lufthansa charges a cancellation fee of 200 USD on all fare types and the class of services selected. To avail of Lufthansa free cancellation, you must cancel the booking within 24 hours of purchase.
Yes, under Lufthansa 24 hour free cancellation policy, you can cancel or change your booking for free. The passengers can also request changes within 24 hours at no extra charge. Only fare difference applies.