Lufthansa Unaccompanied minor policy offers the very special support to the children between the ages of 5 and 11 years travelling alone. There are certain regulations and conditions that you need to know before booking the flight.
In this post, we will cover all the rules and requirements for the minors flying alone, the fee associated with their travel, the documents requirements and much more.
- Lufthansa Rules For Unaccompanied Minors
- Age Restrictions for Unaccompanied Minors
- Guidelines for Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minors
- Booking a Flight for Unaccompanied Minor
- Check-in for Unaccompanied Minors
- Required Travel Documents
- Carry-on Baggage Allowance
- Unaccompanied Minor Escort at the Airport
- Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minor Fee
- Lufthansa Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Lufthansa Rules For Unaccompanied Minors
As per the Lufthansa Unaccompanied minor policy, children between the ages of 5 and 11 years can travel alone using the unaccompanied minor service. Before booking a child flight for your minor, here are some things that you should know –
- Unaccompanied children must have all of the documents handy in both the city of origin and the city of destination.
- Unaccompanied minor service is not available for connecting flights if he/she is booked on the final flight schedule. The exception would be applied if the scheduled flight is the only flight available from the departure or connecting point.
- Minors travelling alone are not allowed to travel with pets.
- For safety and security of children, the airline limits the requirement to 10 seats on each flight.
- Lufthansa will not accept the unaccompanied minors if weather or other factors are likely to interrupt the travel.
- The guardian will be asked to approve rebooking in the event of an unforeseen travel interruption.
- At the time of travel if the child becomes seriously ill, medical personnel will be contacted.
- Unaccompanied minors suffering from a special medical condition will not be permitted unless they provide a doctor consent form authorizing the travel.
- The airline will not be in charge or personal medication of the child passenger.
- Person who would be escorting the child must produce a valid photo ID to validate he/she is the same person as identified on the form.
Age Restrictions for Unaccompanied Minors
As per the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor policy, passengers aged between 5 and 11 years who are not travelling with someone who is at least 12 years old are considered as ‘unaccompanied minors’.
Parents can reserve the minor service for their children travelling alone from the age of 12 to a maximum of 17 years. This guarantees that the youngster is supported, particularly if their flight is disrupted, such as by a delay or cancellation.
Here are the conditions of travelling for unaccompanied minors with Lufthansa Airlines for the following age groups –
- Under the age of 5 years – Not allowed to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- Between 5 to 11 years old – It is mandatory to avail the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service.
- Between 12 and 17 years old – It is optional for parents/guardians to book their child’s flight under the unaccompanied minor service.
Guidelines for Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minors
Here is the practical checklist and requirement from the Lufthansa Airlines. It will help you and the unaccompanied minor making their journey on their own as well prepared as possible.
Booking a Flight for Unaccompanied Minor
Unaccompanied minors flight tickets can only be purchased by calling the customer service number or by airline’s ticket counter. You must book at least 24 hours before your departure to ensure that you receive the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service.
- It is recommended that you pay the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor fee at the time of booking. However you can also pay the fee up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure.
- You can order a seat and/or a special children’s meal up to 24 hours before departure.
- Parents/guardians need to provide contact details so Lufthansa can notify in case of any flight disruption.
- After you retrieve your booking online, it is essential to update your via ‘Lufthansa Manage Booking’ section.
- Simply go to the passenger’s section, and click on ‘Edit Contact Details’ to update your number and the email address.
Check-in for Unaccompanied Minors
Complete the check-in for your unaccompanied minor online via lufthansa.com or by calling the Lufthansa customer service starting 23 hours before the scheduled departure.
Alternatively, you can complete Lufthansa check-in for the unaccompanied minor at the airport desk at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure.
Note : Parents/guardians need to stay at the airport until the child’s aircraft has taken off. This assures that if the flight is cancelled at the last minute, you will be able to reclaim custody of your child.
Required Travel Documents
As per the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor policy, you need to bring the following documents at the time of check-in – z
- Boarding pass.
- A print out of e-ticket or booking confirmation.
- Receipt for the fee.
- Duplicate copy of completed Lufthansa unaccompanied minor form.
- A valid ID card or child’s passport
- All the documents related to travel such as visa, vaccination, and birth certificate.
- A valid photo ID card of the person who is escorting the minor to check-in
Carry-on Baggage Allowance
A child should be able to carry the hand luggage comfortably and the weight must be within 8 kg and the dimension must not exceed 55 x 40 x 23 cm. As per the Lufthansa baggage policy, the child carry-on luggage must contain the following –
- Warm clothing
- A favorite toy
- A small amount of cash
- Medications that need to be taken during the flight or at the destination, if necessary.
- Fee checked baggage allowance and is included in the price of the ticket.
Unaccompanied Minor Escort at the Airport
As per the Lufthansa unaccompanied policy, the person listed on the unaccompanied minor form under ‘Escort on arrival’ is the person who will pick up the child at their destination. In addition –
- A person who would be picking up the child must present a valid photo ID before the child is released into their care.
- Unaccompanied children are normally picked up behind the ‘Baggage Reclaim’ area for the applicable flight at their destination airport.
Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minor Fee
As per the unaccompanied minor policy, in addition to the adult ticketed fare the service charged for the children travelling alone applies per person per route, such as –
|Zone/Route||Unaccompanied minor fee (in USD) per person per route|
|Within Germany, Switzerland, and Austria||95|
|Europe including flights within Germany, Switzerland, and Austria||95|
|North Africa and flights within Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan||105|
|The Middle East, Central Africa, and Arab region including Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Iran, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia, Bahrain, Oman, and Kuwait||130|
|Medium haul and intercontinental flights including US East Coast, Canada East Coast, India, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Tanzania, Angola, and Maldives||140|
|Long Haul intercontinental flights including US West Coast, Canada West Coast, South America, Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, South Africa, and Seychelles||170|
Lufthansa is one of the very few airlines in the world that offers a service for unaccompanied minors travelling alone. To be able to avail the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service, it is necessary for you to inform the airline about such travel in advance. You also need to fill out the form and follow all the regulations and guidelines mentioned above. Only then your child can have hassle-free and convenient travel.
Lufthansa Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Lufthansa Unaccompanied minor policy allows children aged 5 to 11 to fly alone if they are not accompanied by another person aged 12 or older. Unaccompanied youngsters aged 12 to 17 can also use such a service if their parents choose.
Unaccompanied minor form is available online on the lh.com and must be filled out 23 hours before the start of travel.
Before filling the form, review the checklist of documents that you and your child needs at the time of travel.
Yes, the airline allows passengers aged between 5 and 17 years to travel unaccompanied. The airline limits the requirement to 10 seats on each flight for minors travelling alone. Also, the airlines will not accept the unaccompanied minors on the connecting flights.
The Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service varies with the travel route and is applied per passenger each way. For instance, if unaccompanied minors are travelling within Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland they need 90 USD each way. On the other hand, if the passenger is flying on long-haul international flights such as to the US or Canada, they need to pay between 140 and 170 USD. To know the minor fee for specific regions and routes, check the fee section mentioned above.
Yes, the service fee is refundable. If you cancel the Lufthansa Airlines booking and the minor does not travel, or of your flight is cancelled and you refuse to opt for an alternate flight.
Yes, the standard checked and carry-on luggage policy will apply to the unaccompanied minors.
Once you reach the airport, go to the Lufthansa counter and show a valid photo ID alongside the copy of your child’s e-ticket, and request for an ‘Escort permit’. This will allow you and your child to pass through the security.