There are times when things do not go as planned with our travel-related matters. When it comes to changes or cancellations, it is always a tedious thing to do. Fortunately, the airlines which have made the flexible provisions for its passengers is Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy and has been designed to keep in mind the comfort and convenience of the passengers. Moreover, Virgin Atlantic cancellation charges are not as hefty as charges of any other airlines.
Everything You Need to Know about Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Policy
Virgin Atlantic, the UK based airlines, that operates in North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Australia, and Asia from its primary hub in London–Heathrow as well as Gatwick airports. In this guide, we bring to you all aspects of Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy to help you cancel your tickets without any hassles whatsoever.
Virgin Atlantic Cancel Flight Amid Coronavirus
The new development arises with Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation policy, which allows a waiver for on cancel or change fee for all the March bookings. It comes in the wake of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19), which was recently declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO). In addition :
- Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee would be waived for the flyers who booked the flights with them from Wednesday, March 4 until Tuesday, March 31.
- Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation charges would be waived for all the trips booked on or before September 30th, 2020.
- The waiver would be applied to all the flights originating to and from London Heathrow (LHR), London Gatwick (LGW), Belfast (BEL), Manchester (MAN) and Glasgow (GLA).
Virgin Atlantic Flight Cancellation Fee
One of the advantages of booking a flight with foreign airline like Virgin Atlantic is they often have more reasonable cancellation fees compared to many US based commercial carriers. Virgin Atlantic cancellation charges, irrespective of class of service is as follows :
- For flights originating in UK is 36 USD
- For flights originating in US is 50 USD
- For flights originating in any other region is 50 USD
Moreover, as per Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy, it doesn’t charge any cancellation fee to your existing reservation if the taxes and fees associated with it are below 50 USD.
Virgin Atlantic Reward Flight Cancellation Policy
Any passenger booked reward tickets, as promoted by Virgin Airlines, would be charged Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee of 50 USD only. Any passenger who is redeeming its miles with Virgin Atlantic pays 37,500 in miles plus the taxes on each ticket.
As per Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy, if any passenger opts to cancel their Virgin Atlantic reward ticket for any reason outside 24 hours of departure, 100 percent of the miles would be re-credited back to the flyer’s account. Plus, a cancellation fee of 50 USD would be charged if the flights were originating from the US. If the taxes paid upon booking a Virgin Atlantic reward flight are less than 50 USD, then the cancellation would be waived rather the taxes levied at that time would be applied as Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee.
Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Policy 24 hours
Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy under 24 hours allows passengers to cancel the reservation within the required time to claim a full refund on their existing reservation. Here are some points to keep in mind under Virgin Atlantic 24 hour cancellation policy:
- Virgin Atlantic cancellation must be initiated within 24 hours from the date of booking.
- In addition, the departure date has to be 7 or more days from the date of booking
- ‘Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy 24 hours’ rule should be applied for the flights originating for the flights to and from the U.S and Canada only.
If the above-mentioned points are fulfilled upon cancellation, then only passengers would be eligible for Virgin Atlantic cancellation refund.
Besides that, under the Virgin Atlantic 24 hour cancellation policy, passengers can also make the changes to their flight for free. The changes include pre-planned or prepone travel schedules and modifications to departure and arrival points.
Any refunds generated upon cancellation would be processed automatically in the customer’s registered mode of payment in 7-10 business days.
Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Due to Illness
At times we prefer to shell out more money to buy a flexible ticket with Virgin Atlantic to cover the cancellations. But what if you own the non-refundable ticket with Virgin Airlines? Cancellation can happen for numerous reasons, as it could be a prolonged illness. We often have a situation when we get ill a few days before the trip, as the illness progresses, it becomes clear that we are not fit enough to stand, let alone shuffle halfway across the globe. We understand that it is a one-off uncertain situation where you want to initiate Virgin Atlantic ticket cancellation without paying a hefty penalty at all. Do the following :
- You could waive the Virgin Atlantic cancellation fee and could be eligible for a refund on your non-refundable ticket if you provided a doctor’s note.
- Keep all the medical-related bills, documents and receipts with you, as maintaining the whole paper trail is really helpful in waiving Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation charges.
- Always contact Virgin Atlantic to assess what documents would be required to file a booking claim.
- Provide a relevant medical certificate or Doctor’s letterhead that mentions the medical reasons for not able to travel. Also, be in touch with your doctor, as the airline can validate your claim with the institute so that they can vouch for you.
Virgin Atlantic Flight Cancellation Compensation
Did you experience any delay, cancellation or an overbooked issue with your Virgin Atlantic reservation? Then your rights are served under Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy, which says that you can claim up to 675 USD in compensation. We have curated this post to help you out with all the relevant information you require, in order to support your claim. Here are some important points to keep in mind before claiming compensation for Virgin Atlantic ticket cancellation:
- Any passenger is eligible for compensation on Virgin Atlantic flights that takes off or arrive in an EU member state.
- Any flight which is delayed for 3 or more hours upon departure, or you arrive at your destination with a delay for more than 3 hours, you are eligible for Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation compensation.
- Any passenger can claim the desired compensation up to 6 years post departure or arrival date.
To help you on how you can claim your Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation compensation, you should do the following:
- Do not trash your travel document as you should always keep handy your e-tickets, boarding pass, booking confirmation, airport transfer receipts, etc.
- Always take a note of your flight number, flight schedule and the length of the delay.
- Always ask for the reason behind flight delays and cancellation. In addition, always ask Virgin Atlantic to document in writing about the possible delay or cancellation that occurred.
Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Policy – Frequently Asked Questions
Yes absolutely! We All you need to do call your Virgin Atlantic cancellation phone number and we will tell you whether your flight qualifies for the compensation and how much you would be receiving as compensation or is there any additional compensation offered to you other than the ticket value.
It depends upon the type of fare you hold! If you have a non-refundable fare, Virgin Atlantic ticket cancellation would not be permitted on that. Any refundable fare would still be eligible for cancellation after paying Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee of 50 USD if the flight originates from the U.S and Canada.
Follow these steps initiate cancellation on your existing itinerary online :
1. Visit www.virginatlantic.com
2. Go to the ‘My Booking” section and enter a six-digit airline confirmation number along with the last name of the passenger. In case you don’t have your booking reference handy, you can enter an e-ticket number that starts with 932 and is 13 digits long.
3. Always ensure that the details you are entering in the ‘My Booking’ section exactly match with your Virgin Atlantic flight reservation details.
4. Choose the reservation on which you want to initiate the cancellation and hit the ‘cancel’ button.
5. Any possible refund would appear on the screen before it asks you to confirm the Virgin Atlantic cancellation.
6. Once the cancellation is done, you will get the cancellation receipts on your registered email.
If your flight is disrupted or cancelled, then it is Virgin Atlantic’s responsibility to get you the required compensation. Unless, any flight which is cancelled due to ‘extraordinary circumstances’, only then a flyer is not eligible for Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation compensation. Extraordinary circumstances may include severe weather conditions, political unrest, natural calamity, etc.
Any compensation upon ‘Virgin Atlantic cancel flight’ situation, would be calculated by the distance between the origin point and the final destination. For instance,
1. A compensation of 275 USD would be provided if the distance is up to 1500 KM
2. A compensation of 430 USD would be provided if the distance ranges between 1500-3500 KM
3. A compensation of 430 USD would be provided if the distance is more than 3500 KM
We understand your travel needs and providing all sorts of related information is our job. That’s why our dedicated team of travel resolution specialists would be available 24*7 to answer all your queries, concerns and doubts in regards to Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy. If you have a delayed or cancelled Virgin Atlantic flight, for your compensation you aren’t required to fill any forms. All you need to do is call your Virgin Atlantic cancellation phone number +1-855-568-1951 and we will tell you whether your flight qualifies for the compensation and how much you would be receiving as compensation or is there any additional compensation offered to you other than the ticket value.