Whether you have a sudden change in plans, encounter unforeseen events, or simply need to modify your travel arrangements, having a clear understanding of Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy will enable you to make informed choices and ensure a hassle-free experience.
- What are the terms and conditions of the Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy?
- How to request a flight cancellation with Virgin Atlantic?
- What is the fee for canceling a flight with Virgin Atlantic?
- What is the refund policy for flights with Virgin Atlantic?
- What if the Virgin Atlantic flight has been canceled?
What are the terms and conditions of the Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy?
In this guide, we bring to you all aspects of Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy to help you cancel your tickets without any hassles whatsoever.
- Cancellation is applicable on Virgin Atlantic operated flights only
- In case of a flight delay which is more than 3 hours, passengers are entitled to get a full refund on the affected flights.
- As per Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy, if the flight is canceled due to bad weather, passengers can request flight cancellation and can reschedule on another flight.No additional cost will apply.
Virgin Atlantic Cancelation for Economy Light fare – For passengers who booked Light fare –
- Economy Light fares are non-refundable and are highly restricted fares.
- If you decide to cancel your flight, you may not be eligible for a refund.
- Passengers can only request flight cancellation within 24 hours of booking.
- Only Government and Airport Taxes are refundable.
Virgin Atlantic Cancelation for Economy Classic fare – Here are the key point to consider under Virgin Economy Classic cancellation policy –
- Economy Classic fares generally offer more flexibility compared to Economy Light fares.
- Passengers can request flight cancellation up to 3 hours before departure.
- Refund is applicable minus the cancellation fee.
- A cancellation fee would be applied as a percentage of the base fare and as a percentage of the fuel surcharge.
- No cancellation is permitted after the scheduled departure.
Virgin Atlantic Cancelation for Economy Delight fare – For passengers who booked Delight fares –
- Economy Delight fares generally offer more flexibility when it comes to cancellation.
- A flat cancellation fee will apply.
- A no-show penalty may be applicable, and the refund would be applied in the form of travel credit.
Virgin Atlantic Cancelation for Premium fare – For passengers who booked Premium fare
- Premium fares offer more flexibility compared to economy fares.
- It offers free cancellations or the ability to request Virgin Atlantic flight changes to your booking without incurring significant fees.
Virgin Atlantic Cancelation for Business fare – For passengers who booked Business fare –
- No cancelation fee is applicable
- It is a fully flexible fare, and all taxes will be refundable.
- Passengers can cancel anytime before or after the scheduled departure.
Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Policy on No-Show – If a passenger fails to show up for their flight without canceling or changing their reservation in advance, they may be considered a no-show by Virgin ATlantic. Add to that –
- For non-refundable fares, if you are a no-show, the ticket loses its value, and you will not be eligible for a refund or credit.
- For partial flexible fares, if classified as no-show, only Government and Airport Taxes are refundable.
- For fully flexible fares, a no-show penalty may be applied, and the remaining balance would be processed for refund.
Virgin Atlantic Cancel Flight Amid Coronavirus – Virgin Atlantic have ended the waivers and exceptions under COVID-19 flexible booking policy. The policy now says –
- For all flight bookings that are booked after June 24, 2022, the cancellation would be applied as per fare rules.
- Any passengers who test positive for Covid-19 can request Virgin Atlantic flight change for free.
But it’s always a good idea to check with Virgin Atlantic to make sure you know what the rules are for your specific ticket.
Virgin Atlantic Cancellation Due to Illness – We often have a situation when we get ill a few days before the trip, as the illness progresses, it becomes clear that we are not fit enough to stand, let alone shuffle halfway across the globe.
We understand that it is a one-off uncertain situation where you want to initiate Virgin Atlantic ticket cancellation without paying a hefty penalty at all. Do the following :
- You could waive the Virgin Atlantic cancellation fee and could be eligible for a refund on your non-refundable ticket if you provided a doctor’s note.
- Keep all the medical-related bills, documents and receipts with you, as maintaining the whole paper trail is really helpful in waiving Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation charges.
- Always contact Virgin Atlantic to assess what documents would be required to file a booking claim.
- Provide a relevant medical certificate or Doctor’s letterhead that mentions the medical reasons for not able to travel.
- Also, be in touch with your doctor, as the airline can validate your claim with the institute so that they can vouch for you.
Virgin Atlantic Reward Flights Cancellation Policy – Any passenger booked reward tickets, as promoted by Virgin Airlines, would be charged Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee of 50 USD only. In addition –
As per Virgin Atlantic rewards flights cancellation policy, if any passenger opts to cancel flight Virgin Atlantic reward ticket for any reason outside 24 hours of departure, 100 percent of the miles would be re-credited back to the flyer’s account.
Plus, a cancellation fee of 50 USD would be charged if the flights were originating from the US. If the taxes paid upon booking a Virgin Atlantic reward flight are less than 50 USD, then the cancellation would be waived rather the taxes levied at that time would be applied as Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee.
|Travel Route||Cancellation Fee (in USD)|
|Flights originating in the UK||41|
|Flights originating in the US||50|
Note – Once tickets for reward booking are issued, no Virgin Atlantic name change is allowed.
How to request a flight cancellation with Virgin Atlantic?
To request a flight cancellation with Virgin Atlantic, you have a few different methods available. Here are the step-by-step guides for each method:
- Online Cancellation –
- Visit the official Virgin Atlantic website.
- Look for a tab or link that says “My Booking” or something similar. It is usually located on the homepage or in the top menu/navigation bar.
- You can retrieve your reservation through a booking reference or e-ticket number.
- Enter the booking reference alongside the First and Last name of the passenger.
- Click on ‘Go to My Booking’ to proceed.
- Select the flight that needs to be canceled.
- Follow the prompts to request the cancellation.
It is best to review the Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy to understand any fees or restrictions that may apply.
- Call Virgin Atlantic Customer Service:
- Visit the airline website and click on Help and Support at the bottom of the page.
- Here you can chat with Amelia, the Virgin Atlantic help bot.
- Or simply fill out this form
- The airline will call you within 1 hour from the time you make the request.
- Explain the reason for cancellation.
- See with the Virgin Atlantic representative that you are eligible for flight cancellation.
- Confirm the cancellation and ask about any applicable fees or refund processes.
- Visit Virgin Atlantic Ticketing Office
- Find the nearest Virgin Atlantic ticketing office location and visit the office during working hours.
- Provide your booking details, including the booking reference number and any necessary identification documents.
- Inform the staff at the ticketing office that you would like to request a flight cancellation.
- The agent will review the Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation and see if any specific conditions apply to your ticket before requesting a cancellation.
- If you are eligible for a refund, ask the agent to proceed with the cancellation process.
What is the fee for canceling a flight with Virgin Atlantic?
One of the advantages of booking a flight with foreign airlines like Virgin Atlantic is they often have more reasonable cancellation fees compared to many US-based commercial carriers. Virgin Atlantic cancellation charges, irrespective of class of service are as follows :
- For flights originating in UK is 36 USD
- For flights originating in US is 50 USD
- For flights originating in any other region is 50 USD
Disclaimer: The above-mentioned Virgin Atlantic cancellation fee may not be accurate as it may vary with the new updates with Virgin Atlantic. To know the up-to-date information, speak directly to the Virgin Atlantic representative.
What is the refund policy for flights with Virgin Atlantic?
Passengers need to contact Virgin Atlantic directly to request cancellation. Refund varies with the type of fare booked by passengers and the fare condition associated with the booking.
Here are the key points to consider when requesting the flight cancelation as per Virgin Atlantic refund policy –
- Refunds would be permitted to a person who paid for the ticket.
- On canceling a non-refundable fare, you will receive taxes and fees as a refund, and is subject to 41 USD as a cancellation fee. This is applicable for all flights originating in the UK.
- Passengers requesting flight cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances which are outside their control, can request a refund even on a non-refundable fare. The following conditions would not be considered under Events Beyond Your Control –
- A pre-existing medical condition that passengers have been known of before booking the flight.
- Not having valid travel documents at the time of check-in
- Cancellation for personal or business reasons
- Refunds would be offered in the same currency that was used at the time of booking.
What if the Virgin Atlantic flight has been canceled?
If your flight has been canceled by the airline, and the reason for cancellation is within the under the airline’s control, you are entitled to –
- Rebook – You can choose an alternate flight under the similar benefits, amenities and services applied to your existing fare. No additional fee would be applied. Passengers can also rebook the flight to another destination. Fare difference may apply.
- Refund – You can apply for a refund on the unused flight segment. No cancellation fee would be assessed.
Virgin Atlantic Flight Cancellation Compensation – Passengers are entitled for Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation compensation if informed of flight delay or other disruption within 14 days of scheduled departure –
- Flight cancellation – The compensation amount varies for the long haul and short short haul flight. Here is the table:
|If new flight arrives within 4 hours (in USD)||If new flight arrives > 4 hours (in USD)|
|If new flight arrives within 3 hours (in USD)||If new flight arrives > 3 hours (in USD)|
|If new flight arrives > 2 hours (in USD)|
- Flight delay – The compensation amount varies for short haul and long haul flight. Below is the table for the compensation that passengers are entitled to for flight delay –
|If delayed flight arrives > 3 hours (in USD)||If delayed flight arrives > 4 hours (in USD)|
Please be aware – If the airline informs of the flight cancellation less than 7 days before departure, the airline will rebook the passenger on another flight that will –
- Depart no more than 1 hour before the original flight was supposed to leave.
- The new flight gets to the destination no more than 2 hours after the original flight was supposed to arrive.
It is important for passengers to check the specific terms and conditions of their ticket and review the Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy to understand any applicable fees, restrictions, and refund eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes absolutely! All you need to do is call your Virgin Atlantic cancellation phone number and we will tell you whether your flight qualifies for the compensation and how much you would be receiving as compensation or if is there any additional compensation offered to you other than the ticket value.
It depends upon the type of fare you hold! If you have a non-refundable fare, Virgin Atlantic ticket cancellation would not be permitted on that. Any refundable fare would still be eligible for cancellation after paying the Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation fee of 50 USD if the flight originates from the U.S. and Canada.
Follow these steps to initiate cancellation on your existing itinerary online :
1. Visit Virgin Atlantic official website.
2. Go to the ‘My Booking” section and enter a six-digit airline confirmation number along with the last name of the passenger. In case you don’t have your booking reference handy, you can enter an e-ticket number that starts with 932 and is 13 digits long.
3. Always ensure that the details you are entering in the ‘My Booking’ section exactly match your Virgin Atlantic flight reservation details.
4. Choose the reservation on which you want to initiate the cancellation and hit the ‘cancel’ button.
5. Any possible refund would appear on the screen before it asks you to confirm the Virgin Atlantic cancellation.
6. Once the cancellation is done, you will get the cancellation receipts on your registered email.
If your flight is disrupted or canceled, then it is Virgin Atlantic’s responsibility to get you the required compensation. Unless any flight is canceled due to ‘extraordinary circumstances’, only then a flyer is not eligible for Virgin Atlantic flight cancellation compensation. Extraordinary circumstances may include severe weather conditions, political unrest, natural calamity, etc.
Any compensation upon ‘Virgin Atlantic cancel flight’ situation, would be calculated by the distance between the origin point and the final destination. For instance,
1. A compensation of 275 USD would be provided if the distance is up to 1500 KM
2. A compensation of 430 USD would be provided if the distance ranges between 1500-3500 KM
3. A compensation of 430 USD would be provided if the distance is more than 3500 KM
We understand your travel needs and providing all sorts of related information is our job. That’s why our dedicated team of travel resolution specialists would be available 24*7 to answer all your queries, concerns, and doubts in regard to Virgin Atlantic cancellation policy. If you have a delayed or cancelled Virgin Atlantic flight, for your compensation you aren’t required to fill out any forms. All you need to do is call your Virgin Atlantic cancellation phone number and we will tell you whether your flight qualifies for the compensation and how much you would be receiving as compensation or is there any additional compensation offered to you other than the ticket value.
Yes you may. The cancellation depends on the type of fare you booked – refundable or non-refundable. In case of non-refundable fare only taxes are refunded.
You can contact the Virgin Atlantic flight representative who reviews the terms and conditions associated with your fare, and notify you about any possible refund.
Yes, you can cancel Virgin Atlantic flights.
Yes. Virgin Atlantic has a specific 24-hour cancellation policy and applies to flights originating in the US and Canada.
Passengers who booked flexible fares are eligible for a full refund.
It may take 7-10 business days, depending on various factors such as the payment method used and the volume of refund requests.
Yes. The rewards are refundable and are subject to a 50 USD fee per passenger. The unused rewards would be credited back to the frequent flyer account.