Southwest change flight policy allows you to change your flight without any fees or penalty. You can change to a different flight on the same day or on a different date and you can also fly to a completely different itinerary.
In case there is a difference between the ticket prices, you will get the difference amount credited to the original payment method but it comes with a list of terms and conditions which makes it crucial to understand the Southwest change flight policy.
Southwest 24 hours flight change rule
A passenger is eligible for a full amount refund if he cancels or makes changes in the flight within 24 hours of purchase. The airline provides you 24 hours window for changing and canceling flights without any penalty or charges. For any refund, you will have to fill up a short refund request form.
How to change Southwest flight online?
You can change Southwest flight online through their official website or mobile app, over the phone, or at the airport counter at least 10 minutes before your scheduled departure as per Southwest Airlines change flight policy.
Follow this step-by-step process to change Southwest flight –
Visit the official Southwest Airlines website and log in to your account
Click on the Change/Cancel flight option
Enter your confirmation number, first name, and last name
Now choose from “Change Flight” or “Cancel Flight” according to your requirement and then click on “Search”
- Search for the Flights You Want to Change
- Check the boxes next to the flights you want to change or update
- You can also search for new cities and new dates if you want to avail of better prices on the same day
- Select for New Flights
- Choose the option of “Select New Flights” and click on the continue button.
Once you are complete with all the above-mentioned steps, select the new flights and recheck the pricing. Now click on “Continue” and then “Purchase ”.
Please Note: If you change you have checked baggage the applicable fees will be adjusted as per the Southwest Airlines baggage policy.
How much does it cost to change a flight on Southwest?
Zero. There are no Southwest flight change fee but you may be asked to pay the difference in the amount of the new flight ticket and if the difference is positive, you will get the amount credited to your original payment method.
Can you change Southwest flights for free?
Yes, Southwest Airlines welcomes your flight changes and they provide maximum flexibility by not charging any Southwest change fee.
- If you wish to make changes in Southwest Airlines itinerary, then you just have to pay the fare difference.
- No further change charges or hidden charges are applied.
- The Airline does not charge you for your sudden plan changes or emergency situations.
The Airline says – “So you can rest assured when booking your next Southwest Airlines flight that change fees do not fly with us.”This Quote was taken from www.southwest.com
Do you get a refund for Southwest change flight?
Yes, the difference in the price of your new and old tickets is fully refundable but all fare types are not refundable under Southwest Airlines change flight policy.
Key Points of Southwest change flight refund policy
- All of the unused refundable tickets can be used for future travel or they get refunded within 1 year of the date of issue.
- You will get the refunds in the same payment terms which you used for payment.
- The refunds of tickets purchased through a debit card/credit card will be credited in the same debit card/credit card within seven days of raising the refund request.
- Your bank may take up to 10 days approximately to credit the refund amount in your account.
Do You Know?
If the delay of flight occurs due to bad weather, the airline offers a new seat in the next flight to its passengers or refunds for the unused ticket balance or travel credit for future travel.
Southwest change flight refund time
The Refunds Department processes all of the refunds within 7 business days to the account of passengers from the date of refund request.
Please Note: Depending on your bank, it may take up to 10 days to get the amount credited to your bank account.
Which Southwest flight change are fully refundable?
Anytime and Business Select fare types and flights booked with points are fully refundable. If you bought one of these tickets, the unused amount will be refunded in full to you or the airline will credit the balance to your future travel account (the reason may be any Southwest change reservation).
Different scenarios to avail refund
If your outbound flight has not departed till now, you can raise a refund request –
- The official website of Southwest Airlines
- You need to cancel your flight ticket first to start this process
- You can also cancel your reservation by calling on Reservation Department number
- You can also write an email to the airline’s refund department
But, if your outbound flight has already departed, you can submit your refund request –
- By calling on Reservation Department number
- You may also call customer service managers for this request
If you canceled a reservation online with Southwest Airlines but did not request a refund at the same time, you can submit afterward –
- By calling on Reservation Department number.
- You may also call on Customer Relations Number.
- By writing an email to the Refunds Department.
Exceptions to Southwest flight change policy for refund
- If a passenger has combined the refundable fares with Wanna Get Away or a non-refundable fare and fails to travel without informing the airline at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time, then the airline does not refund any amount.
- You can only request a refund if your ticket is valid and has not expired.
Which Southwest flight change are non-refundable?
Wanna Get Away fare type tickets are non-refundable in cash or credit card payments but the passengers can use the amount as travel credit for future travels.
How does Southwest same day flight change work?
Southwest provides the best service for making same day changes in flights –
- You can ask for a flight change on the same day of your reservation
- The airline allows its passengers to make changes in their flight and does not charge any Southwest change fee.
- You may choose from the online or offline method of changing flights with Southwest Airlines.
- The online method involves the official website of the airline and the mobile app.
- The offline method means requesting flight change or cancellation through a call or mail to the reservation department.
Southwest change flight policy offers the most straightforward are customer-friendly flight change services. The airlines do not charge for any change of plans and you will get your refund in the original form of your payment. For refund requests after 24 hours, the amount of non-refundable tickets will be transferred into your travel credit account for future travel, but remember that all tickets are not refundable in cash or credit/debit cards.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Southwest Airlines allows passengers to change flights up 10 minutes before the scheduled departure.
Yes, you can change you flight the latest by 10 minutes before the scheduled departure as per the Southwest change flight policy.
No, Southwest does not charge any fees for flight changes
You can contact the Southwest reservation department to change flights.
Yes, you are allowed to change the Southwest Airlines reservation up to 10 minutes before the flight departure without any Southwest change fee or penalty.
Yes, as per Southwest change flight policy you can change your flight after check in as long as there are at least 10 minutes to you scheduled departure.
Yes, Southwest change flight policy allows passengers to change flights for free, but you may be asked to pay a fare difference if you’re changing to a flight that costs more than your existing Southwest Airlines itinerary.