Southwest Airlines takes great care to ensure that passengers’ bags reach the destination safely, without being exposed to any theft or damages. As happens in any section and due to any unforeseen circumstances, such as technical disruptions, human error, etc – in rarest of the rarest cases the damages, theft, or any delay may occur to the passenger’s luggage. In this context, we cover the Southwest lost and found situations where –
- Passengers are not receiving their baggage at the end of their journey
- Passengers receiving the baggage in the damaged condition
- Passengers receiving baggage after a considerable amount of time
- Passengers receiving the baggage with missing contents/articles
Southwest Airlines lost and found also cover the instances where the passenger lost their belongings on the plane after your flight.
Southwest Airlines Lost and Found Information and Tips
Here are the certain tips that passengers must apply to travel in order to prevent Southwest lost baggage disruptions or avoid them with minimum loss –
- Southwest lost luggage department recommends not to include any valuable item (jewellery, cash, wallets), critical item (medicine, passport, photo ID), or fragile items (electronic devices, glassware, glasses. contact lenses) in your baggage that you deliver at check-in.
- As per Southwest lost and found policy, avoid travelling with your baggage that was damaged during previous travel. In the case where the damaged area gets enlarged, the baggage might get unusable or your belongings inside may get damaged.
- Use locks that are TSA-approved. In the case where your baggage is opened due to security reasons, your baggage will be prevented from getting damaged.
- Southwest baggage lost and found team recommends the inclusion of a paper note that mentions the passenger’s name and contact which will help the delivery of your baggage in the case when baggage tag comes off.
- If there is not plenty of room left in the overhead cabinet, at times, the carry-on baggage may be taken out of cabin baggage. In case the passenger does not want to take belongings out of cabin baggage, please notify the Southwest Airlines lost and found team about the situation.
For making the lost and found application and following up the older application regarding all the baggage disruption, passengers need to approach Southwest airlines baggage claim and tracking team. Until the Southwest lost baggage application is concluded, passengers need to keep the baggage tag and the boarding pass.
As per Southwest airlines lost and found policy, all the information, and documents provided by the passengers from the beginning due to the baggage disruption are processed within the scope of personal data protection.
Southwest Lost and Found Locations
You can find all the detailed information regarding the Southwest lost baggage disruption here –
If the passengers’ baggage is not received at the destination or stopover point after the flight, they can apply to Southwest airlines lost and found department at the relevant airport. Here is the list of airports where Southwest lost and found office would be available regarding your lost baggage –
|Airport Offices||Airport Codes|
|Dallas Love Field Airport||DAL|
|Los Angeles International Airport||LAX|
|Chicago Midway International Airport||MDW|
|Oakland International Airport||OAK|
|San Diego International Airport||SAN|
|Baltimore International Airport||BWI|
|Denver International Airport||DEN|
|Phoenix International Airport||PHX|
|Houston Hobby International airport||HOU|
|Atlanta International Airport||ATL|
|Orlando International Airport||MCO|
|Las Vegas International Airport||LAS|
|Tampa International Airport||TPA|
In addition, upon the passenger’s application, they would be provided a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) regarding their lost baggage with Southwest airlines.
Passengers are also required to keep the baggage tag and the boarding pass for all further procedures until the baggage will be delivered to them.
How to Apply For Southwest Lost Baggage?
In the case where the baggage is not delivered to them, passengers must necessarily apply to the Southwest lost and found office at the destination airport or contact Southwest airlines customer service lost and found. The Southwest airlines lost baggage report must be issued for your belongings to be searched thoroughly and the process to be maintained and the relevant compensation would be offered in case the airline fails to locate your baggage.
- Southwest baggage lost and found office at the airport – It is the place where you must submit your documents and receive a PIR alongside the lost and found tracking number the moment you fail to receive baggage.
- Southwest lost and found online application – Online application is the alternative where passengers have left the airport without having a report issued, as they must apply for tracking the baggage.
In the instance where the passengers leave the airport without reporting to the Southwest Airlines baggage claim desk, the pecuniary loss that may arise shall be under the responsibility of the affected passenger.
In the case where the passenger is unable to locate their belongings at the baggage conveyors, the passenger must immediately escalate the concern at the Southwest lost baggage desk at the airport.
Expanded Southwest Baggage Tracking Process
Here is the detailed process to fill the Southwest airlines lost and found form –
- As per Southwest airlines baggage policy, the baggage would be tracked by Southwest airlines on the route passengers have travelled during the first five days.
- The search and screening shall be carried out through the Southwest baggage lost and found international tracking system as most of the luggage is identified within 24 hours and delivered to the passengers as soon as possible.
- In the rarest of the rarest cases, the unwanted delay may happen in the delivery of the checked bag due to operational reasons.
- For lost baggage that is unable to be identified within a period of 5 days, passengers would be asked to submit a detailed and priced list of the items covered in the lost baggage shall be requested for further detailed tracking of the baggage.
- In the case where passengers have not been responded to by the airline after 5 days, they may visit the Southwest baggage lost and found online tracking portal and must create a notification.
- In the message section passengers need to add the message alongside attaching the documents for the notification they have created.
- In the message, passengers need to add the details they will provide regarding the appearance and content of the lost baggage that is important for the baggage to be more swiftly identified and delivered.
- Under the pursuit of documents and information you communicate, the passenger’s lost baggage shall be elaborately and intensely tracked by the Southwest lost baggage team in 21 days.
Southwest Lost Baggage Compensation
For all the baggage that was failed to deliver to the passenger, you can apply to the Southwest airlines lost and found office at the airport, receive the reference number generated on your name, and file an application via lost and found portal with the documents related to compulsory expenditure the passenger have made throughout the delivery process.
Add to that, the compulsory expenditures that any affected passenger has made, the passenger must keep the official documents such as invoice, credit card, etc or the documents proving the expenditures in order to submit them during the Southwest lost baggage application.
Here’s the overview of the compulsory reimbursement and compensations offered in the event of lost, damaged, or delayed baggage with Southwest Airlines –
- Southwest lost baggage liability for the loss of, damage to, or delay in the delivery of the checked bag shall not be greater than 3800 USD unless the passenger at the time of check-in declared the value of the lost baggage in excess of the said compensation amount. The compensation
- Add to that the declared value of the baggage at the time of check-in shall not exceed 1250 USD above the 3800 USD limit declared by the airlines.
- Southwest lost and found compensation is not available for money, jewelry, photographic, video, and optical equipment, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, silverware and china, fragile or perishable items, liquids, precious gems and metals, negotiable papers, securities, business or personal documents, samples, items intended for sale, paintings, artifacts, and other works of art and antiques.
Here’s the overview of the lost and compensation offered by the airlines in case of delayed, damaged, or lost luggage in accordance with the fare types –
|Southwest Lost Baggage Claim||Business Select||Anytime||Wanna Get Away|
|Lost Checked Bag||Upto 3800 USD||Upto 3800 USD||Upto 3800 USD|
|Baggage Fee in case of loss of the baggage||Refundable||Non-Refundable||Non-Refundable|
|Delayed Baggage Reimbursement||Compulsory Expenditure up to 100 USD (invoices need to be submitted)||Compulsory Expenditure up to 75 USD (invoices need to be submitted)||Compulsory Expenditure up to 50 USD (invoices need to be submitted)|
|Baggage Fee refund in case of delayed baggage||Refundable||Non-Refundable||Non-Refundable|
How to Submit Southwest Airlines Baggage Claim Online?
Follow these steps to apply for the Southwest Airlines lost and found form in order to get your lost baggage delivered on time –
- Report delayed baggage – If your bags are delayed for a considerable amount of time, escalate the matter to one of the Southwest Airlines representatives. Passengers will receive a File Reference Number that you will need to track and claim the lost bag.
- Get Southwest Baggage Fee Rebate – Passengers may be eligible for the Southwest baggage fee rebate if the checked bag has been delayed by 12 hours since the scheduled arrival time. The rebate would be offered in the form of electronic travel credit for the applicable amount in the event that any passenger did not receive baggage.
- Submit Expense Reimbursement – Choose the ‘Out of Pocket’ expense tab in the Southwest Airlines baggage claim form. The ‘Out of Pocket’ expense is only meant for the reimbursement of incidental expenses incurred while the checked baggage was delayed. Reasonable expenses are determined at 50 USD per day for the first five days if the baggage is delayed. The Southwest lost baggage reimbursement will be deducted from the final claim settlement if the bag is not found.
- Declare Baggage value – Passengers need to submit the receipts that validate the lost baggage value to Southwest airlines for the consideration of Southwest lost and found compensation.
Southwest Lost Baggage Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
My bag went to Baltimore Airport. I came from Tampa did 1 stop to Philadelphia my bag went to Baltimore and stay there I claimed there and next day they sent it to Philly. I would Like to know if still there. thank you
I left my Red (w black zippers) carryon bag possibly in the waiting area at gate C20 flight 1313. Inside the top small zipper pouch is my driver’s license and Boarding pass. I did not have a luggage tag.
I have tried to contact southwest at Orlando airport about my iPad that was left on flight 2627 from Dallas, but no answer or response. Very upset
i did arrive at the Oakland airport at June 4 12.20 am i should have to pick up my 4 luggage but some reason i got my 3 bags and didn’t have my forth bags so claim at airport today 6 days but i have not received my bags please help me what next process i have to do my phone number is 3027722626 please give me a call and help me thank you I’m 63 years old i need help
Hi my name is Cruz Jefferson and I lost a black and red checkered Louis Vouitton wallet with all my credentials