Southwest Airlines name change policy allows passengers to correct their names on the ticket up to four characters. Also, no third-party travel agents are allowed to create a new PNR with the hope that change name on flight reservation with the airlines is actually possible.
Moreover, passengers are allowed to process Southwest change name on ticket in the form of name correction up to four characters on the first, middle, or last name. All the Southwest name change requests can only be accomplished via the airlines customer service number.
The airlines do not allow the change in ownership of the travelers in the existing PNR. In such a case, passengers need to cancel booking, claim a refund, and book a flight with a different traveler name and are subject to availability. Here are the following approaches that would be applicable while processing name change request –
- Southwest Airlines name correction – Up to 4 characters of the passenger’s first name, middle name, or last name should be corrected. The inclusions of the 4 characters shall not be misunderstood as each for first, middle, and last name rather a combination of all.
- Southwest Airlines change name on ticket – As per name change policy, only name changes would be applicable in the case of legal circumstances, such as Southwest change name after marriage or divorce, or legal name change on airlines ticket.
Here are the important highlights from the Southwest Airlines name change policy –
- Southwest name change on the ticket cannot be requested for rapid reward members and is subject to a frequent flyer contract.
- No transfer of ownership on the existing PNR is permitted.
- Once the name change on Southwest ticket is completed, the airline ticket would be sent for ticket issuance. A name change fee along with any applicable fare difference would be collected.
- Reservations that include flights from interline or codeshare agreement partners, the name change request would only be permitted on the flight segment.
- In the case of multiple fare rules on the ticket, the most restrictive fare rules will apply while processing the name change on Southwest Airlines booking.
- After the name correction request is completed, passengers need to select seats again and it is not possible to swap seats between the old and the new PNR.
- As per the Southwest name change rule, the name correction policy, flight segments associated with the wrong name need to be canceled to avoid no-shows, and an e-ticket can be claimed for a refund.
Southwest Airlines Change Name on Ticket
Here are the following points to consider before requesting the Southwest Airlines name correction on your ticket –
Before The Ticket Is Issued
- As per Southwest Airlines name correction policy, the passenger’s first name and middle name can be corrected up to 4 characters. The count of 4 characters is combined total and shall not be understood as the 4 characters each for the first name and last name.
- The title and the correction of space between the first, middle, or last name would be counted under the 4 characters correction, as per Southwest Airlines name change policy
- The change of Passengers Type Code (PTC), date of birth (DOB), gender, or adding an infant would not be requested under name change policy and would be considered as the regular re-issuance request.
- All the name correction requests in excess of the 4 characters can be requested at our Southwest Airlines reservation phone number.
- All Southwest change names after marriage requests can be supported by a valid legal document.
After The Ticket Is Issued
- As per Southwest Airlines name change policy, tickets once issued are non-transferable, and names cannot be changed except in the case of the legal name change, for example, but divorce or marriage
- Only Southwest change name on the ticket under the legal purview may be submitted via Southwest Airlines contact number. Passengers would be asked to provide the Rapid Rewards account number along with photocopies of legal documentation or any other information may request that reflects the new legal name.
Southwest Name Change Fee
Southwest Airlines name correction fee of 150 USD would be collected if the name correction was requested within 24 hours of booking. The representatives may ask for photocopies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the correct name.
After 24 hours, only name correction up to 4 characters is allowed for a Southwest Airlines name change fee of 200 USD. After the name correction, the ticket would be sent for re-issue, and to be rebooked in the same available class or higher class in the same cabin. In case of ticket re-issuance in the higher class of service, the fare difference may apply.
How to Change a Name on a Southwest Airlines Ticket?
Here’s how you can request the Southwest Airlines name change online as well as over the phone –
Southwest Name Change Online
Follow these easy steps to proceed with the Southwest change name on ticket –
- Visit southwest.com, click on the ‘Manage Booking’ tab to proceed.
- Enter the six-digit booking reference along with the last name of the passenger, and click on the ‘Retrieve booking button to proceed.
- On the next page, click on the ‘Change name’ button to request the name correction for your booking.
- Name change can be requested on the Anytime and Business Select fares.
- Enter the correct name, as you can modify up to 4 characters on the first, middle, or last name. The count of 4 characters is combined total and shall not be understood as the 4 characters each for the first name and last name.
- You would be asked to pay the name change fee alongside fare difference if there is any.
- Once the request is completed, passengers would be sent a new confirmation, and it requires passengers to complete Southwest check-in and seat selection again.
Southwest Name Change Over The Phone
Apart from the name correction, all the name change requests can be completed by calling us at the customer service number.
- Keep your six-digit booking reference handy while you get connected to the airlines representatives.
- In order to change your name, the agent will ask you to submit photocopies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the correct name of the passenger.
- You can request the name correction up to characters on the first, middle, or last name. The count of 4 characters is combined total and shall not be understood as the 4 characters each for the first name and last name.
- You would be asked to pay the Southwest Airlines name change fee alongside fare difference if there is any.
- Once the request is completed, passengers would be sent a new confirmation, and it requires passengers to complete check-in and seat selection again.
FAQs Related to Change Name on Southwest Ticket
How to change misspelled name on the Southwest ticket?
If there’s a typo or misspelling error on your first, middle or last name, you can easily fix it yourself via the Southwest Airlines website or via mobile app.
Here are the eligible reservation for Southwest Airlines name correction request –
Name correction after check-in
A completely unused flight segment
Any Southwest Airlines reservation booked over the phone
Southwest Airlines flight reservation with EarlyBird check-in
How do I change my name on the Southwest rapid rewards ticket?
All the Rapid Rewards account tickets can be fixed for a spelling mistake via Southwest Airlines customer service phone number. You would be asked to send a copy of one of the following –
Old government-issued photo ID plus new government-issued photo-ID
Does Southwest let you change the name on the ticket?
As per Southwest Airlines name change policy, the change of name on the ticket is not allowed. In case if the passenger has entered the incorrect name or you want to change the name of the passenger, you can cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking, and claim a full refund.
Can you change the name on the Southwest Airlines ticket within 24 hours?
Southwest Airlines name correction fee of 150 USD would be collected if the name correction was requested within 24 hours of booking. Southwest Airlines representatives may ask for photocopies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the correct name.
How to change the passenger name on Southwest Airlines reservations online?
If there’s a typo or misspelling error on your first, middle or last name, you can easily fix it yourself via the Southwest Airlines website or via mobile app. Click on the “Manage Booking’ tab and enter the booking reference on the flight reservation. Click on the ‘Change name’ tab and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the name change request.