Emirates pet policy guarantees a specialized service aimed at providing the utmost care for your pets, regardless of the chosen class of service or travel itinerary.
Emirates’ dedicated pet travel team will ensure a seamless travel experience for your pet, whether they are traveling in the cabin or as checked baggage.
In this article, we will explore the various aspects of the Emirates pet travel service, including the requirements and restrictions for pets traveling in the cabin, cargo service, and more.
- What is the Emirates Pet Policy for Animals in Cabins?
- What are the Emirates Pet as checked luggage policy guidelines?
- Does Emirates accept service dogs in the cabin for travel?
- Do Emirates offer pet cargo services for pet transportation?
- Which breeds are not allowed on the Emirates pet cargo service?
- What documents are required for the Emirates pet cargo service?
- How to book a reservation for pets traveling under cargo service?
What is the Emirates Pet Policy for Animals in Cabins?
Emirates pet travel policy states that animals are not permitted in the cabin, except for guide dogs for the blind and falcons traveling on the Dubai to Pakistan route.
What are the Emirates Pet as checked luggage policy guidelines?
As per the Emirates pet policy, falcons, cats, dogs, and pet birds can be transported as checked baggage in the hold for itineraries departing from Dubai and going to nations that permit animals to enter as excess baggage.
The guidelines include –
- To transport an animal, you must obtain prior approval from Emirates.
- The animal must be properly contained.
- Passengers need to submit valid health and vaccination certificates at the Emirates check-in counter.
- You may need to pay charges for Emirates Pet Carrier unless it is a service animal.
- Emirates is not responsible for any loss, injury, or death of the animal, except for negligence on the airline’s part.
The other restrictions and conditions include –
|Flight Duration||Must be within 17 hours|
|Check-in||Flight Connection of more than 6 hours|
|Animal Delivery||Around 1 hour at the destination’s arrivals hall|
|Flight Connection more than 6 hours||Animals must be transported as cargo|
If you don’t have all the required certificates, Emirates will have no liability, and you’ll be responsible for any fines or costs.
Travel restriction for pets flying with Emirates – As per Emirates Pet policy, these restrictions include –
- Emirates allows an unrestricted number of dogs to be brought on their flights.
- However, there are certain guidelines to follow depending on the animals’ living arrangements.
- Two animals can travel together in the same container, provided they are at least 4 months old, of similar size and weight, and each weighing up to 14 kg.
- However, if an animal weighs more than 14kg, it must travel in its own container.
It’s important to note that certain countries have restrictions on the number of animals allowed for import or export. For example, Europe has a limit of two pets per person for animal imports. We recommend checking the regulations of your destination before your trip.
Emirates pet travel cost as excess baggage – Emirates charges a fee for pet travel as excess baggage. The specific fee and requirements for the pet carrier depend on the weight and size of the animal. These fees apply even if you’re not checking any additional baggage. Keep in mind the following limitations regarding the size and weight of animals checked as luggage.
|Animal + cage||Price (in USD)|
|If the total weight of the animal and cage is under 23 kg and the dimensions are within 59 inches,||500|
|If the combined weight of the animal and cage falls between 24-32 kg and the dimensions are between 59-118 inches||650|
|If the total weight of the animal and cage exceeds 32 kg and the dimensions are between 59-118 inches||800|
|If the dimensions of the cage exceed 118 inches||Cargo|
|When traveling into Dubai||Cargo|
|If the total duration of the journey is over 17 hours||Cargo|
|When traveling to a country that does not permit live animals as check-in baggage.||Cargo|
Please be aware that animal transportation has different rates, documentation needs, and prices than standard excess baggage.
Additional guidelines for transporting animals with Emirates – Please make a reservation and payment for Emirates Airlines pet travel service as checked luggage before your departure date. Additionally, note the following:
- Emirates has certain limitations on the types of animals that can be transported as checked baggage.
- Pets and animals listed under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) must be transported as cargo.
- Specific breeds of cats and dogs may have additional restrictions, including import prohibitions. Contact your nearest Emirates office for more information on restricted breeds.
- During layovers in Dubai, pets will be kept in an air-conditioned area. Passengers, ground handlers, and airline representatives will not have access to the pets during this time.
- Except for a few falcons, birds cannot be transported via Dubai between May and September due to extreme heat and humidity in the UAE.
- All animals allowed for transportation by Emirates must have a current health certificate and import permission issued by the destination country, including relevant vaccination records.
- According to Emirates Airways’ pet policy, pregnant animals that are one-third or more through their typical pregnancy or have given birth within 48 hours of the scheduled departure will not be accepted for transportation.
How to book – To book Emirates pet travel as checked baggage, follow these steps –
- Reach out to Emirates Airlines customer service either through their website, email, or phone to inquire about the availability of pet travel as checked baggage and to make a reservation.
- Work with the Emirates Airlines representative to select the most suitable flight for your pet’s travel.
- Obtain all the required documentation for your pet.
- Purchase an airline-approved pet carrier that meets Emirates Airlines’ guidelines for size, ventilation, and security.
- On the day of travel, arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure.
- Emirates Airlines may have specific fees for transporting pets as checked baggage.
- Listen carefully to any instructions or guidelines provided by Emirates Airlines regarding the handling and preparation of your pet for the journey.
Ensure that your pet is securely placed in the carrier and that all required identification tags are attached.
Does Emirates accept service dogs in the cabin for travel?
Emirates offers two options depending on the route. Your beloved pet can either join you in the cabin or be transported as cargo in a dedicated area of the aircraft hold.
Flying with a service dog in the cabin – Under the Emirates pet travel policy, pets are allowed to fly directly from Dubai to countries in the European Union. This same condition applies to flights between Dubai and the US/Canada route. Additionally –
- It’s important to note that dogs traveling in the cabin must not obstruct aisles or emergency exits.
- For safety reasons, Emirates does not offer exit row seats to passengers traveling with pets in the cabin.
How to book a flight for a service dog – If you need to book a flight for a service dog to travel in the cabin, it is necessary to inform Emirates at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure.
You can contact Emirates directly, and their staff will guide you through the booking process and provide you with the necessary details.
Travel to and from the US – For travel to and from the US with a service animal, passengers are required to bring the following:
- US Department of Transportation Service Animal Form which includes details about the animal’s health, training, and behavior.
- If the flight duration exceeds 8 hours, passengers must also submit the US Department of Transportation Service Animal Relief Attestation Form. This is to certify that the dog can do so in a hygienic way and will not relieve itself in the aircraft.
After downloading and completing the forms, you can submit them for inspection by Emirates’ pet transport team. The airline will review the forms and may contact you to verify the information before your trip.
Do Emirates offer pet cargo services for pet transportation?
Emirates SkyCargo provides temperature-controlled facilities to ensure the safe transportation of live animals, including pets traveling to and from Dubai and those with connecting flights through Dubai.
For pets that require feeding, watering, or medication administration during transportation, Emirates’ pet cargo service requires them to be scheduled as cargo. Additionally, a minimum 6-hour connecting flight is necessary for this service.
Key features of Emirates pet transport service as cargo – Pets traveling on Emirates flights are accommodated in the temperature-controlled hold of the aircraft. To provide them with the utmost care and protection from the weather, Emirates ensures that pets are the last to board and the first to be unloaded upon arrival.
- At Dubai Airport, there is a dedicated transit area specifically designed for pets traveling under the cargo service.
- A dedicated 24/7 Emirates pet travel service team is available to thoroughly review all details regarding the pet, including pet kennel information, as well as medical and veterinary reports.
- Professional transit care is provided to ensure the comfort and safety of pets during their journey.
- Additionally, a 24/7 veterinary service is available at Dubai Airport to address any pet-related concerns or emergencies that may arise.
Emirates cargo service – To ensure that the transportation of pets meets the appropriate travel guidelines, here’s what the Emirate cargo team offers –
|At Origin||Emirates Pet||Emirates Pet Plus|
|Collection from home||No||Yes|
|Local travel documents, including import/export permits and veterinary certificates||No||Yes|
|Vet support/assistance at Animal Care area in Dubai||Yes||Yes|
|Boarding (if required)||No||Yes|
|Kennels (if required)||No||Yes|
|Kennel cleaning (if required)||No||Yes|
|At Destination||Emirates Pet||Emirates Pet Plus|
|Import customs clearance, local authority registration||No||Yes|
|Boarding (if required)||No||Yes|
|Delivery to selected end-destination||No||Yes|
Which breeds are not allowed on the Emirates pet cargo service?
Emirates pet policy specifies that certain cat and dog breeds are not allowed for transport on Emirates SkyCargo.
This policy aims to ensure that your pet has an opportunity to relax, receive hydration, stretch, and receive proper supervision before the flight departure.
|Affenpinscher||King Charles Spaniel|
|American Cocker Spaniel||Lhasa Apso|
|Bulldog (all types)||Pekingese|
|Bullmastiff||Pit Bull Terrier|
|Cane Corso||Presa Canario|
|Cavalier King Charles Spaniel||Pug (all types)|
|Chihuahua (apple headed)||Shar-Pei|
|Chow Chow||Shih Tzu|
|Dogo Argentino||Staffordshire Bull Terrier|
|Dogue de Bordeaux||Tibetan Spaniel|
|Exotic Shorthair||Selkirk Rex|
|Exotic Fold (Foldex)|
Travel restrictions under Emirates pet service as cargo – The following travel restrictions apply to the dogs and cats under the Emirates pet travel policy –
|Age requirement||Any dog or cat must be 15 weeks old or older.|
|Traveling to/from high risk nation||If a pet is departing from a nation classified as ‘high risk’, there is a possibility that the age restrictions will be extended up to 27 weeks..|
What documents are required for the Emirates pet cargo service?
According to Emirates’ pet policy, for every shipment, the airline mandates an attested copy of the Customer Acknowledgement Form. In addition to fulfilling the travel requirements for the origin and destination points, passengers are required to submit the following documents:
- Dedicated form for acceptance and authorization
- Medical and veterinary health certificates
- Microchip information
- Fly-to-fly statements
Furthermore, it is necessary to provide the Emirates pet cargo crew with a 24-hour emergency contact number, which should be prominently displayed on the animal’s transport container.
Emirates pet cargo cost – For all travel routes, the Emirates pet cargo prices, and pet carrier will depend upon the weight and size of the animal. Please be aware of the following size and weight limitations for animals under cargo travel :
|Animal + cage||Price (in USD)|
|If the cage dimensions are larger than 118 inches||750|
|When traveling into Dubai||900|
|If the total duration of the journey exceeds 17 hours||1050|
|When the destination country does not permit live animals as check-in baggage||1200|
How to book a reservation for pets traveling under cargo service?
To book a pet reservation under the cargo service, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of Emirates SkyCargo at skycargo.com.
- Alternatively, you can email your concerns and booking inquiries to [email protected].
- If you prefer a more direct approach, contact the local Emirates SkyCargo office for further assistance and detailed information on the booking process.
By following these steps, you will be able to book your pet’s reservation under Emirates’ cargo service.
Emirates pet policy guarantees a secure and smooth travel experience for your beloved furry companions. It is essential to familiarize yourself with the rules and adhere to them strictly to prevent any complications while traveling with your pet.
Take the necessary time to thoroughly read and understand all the information regarding travel guidelines and the specific pet travel services available.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
As per Emirates Airways pet policy, falcons are authorized to fly in-cabin between particular places, however, domestic cats and dogs are not allowed inside the cabin. Passengers can also transport the pet under the baggage hold as well as in the cargo.
Yes, under Emirates Sky Cargo, your pets can travel on their own. To fly by itself, your pet must be in a pet container that has been authorized. Emirates does sell kennels in Dubai if you’re having problems finding one on your own.
No. If the animal is certified as a service dog or a guide dog, it can travel in the cabin without paying any Emirates pet travel cost.