Do your youngsters travel by themselves? Don’t worry! Iberia unaccompanied minor policy ensures their safety and well-being beginning with the time the airline picks them up at the departure airport up until the end of the journey. Whether your child is alone or in a small group of other kids, they will be with the airline’s staff members all the time.
Additionally, the airline will take care of the kids if they have to transfer to another Iberia flight. The airline will stay at their side and keep the parents/legal guardians updated in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.
The Iberia Airlines will transport your child to a dedicated minors lounge while they wait for their connecting flight so they can relax, play computer games, watch kid-friendly movies, use the restroom and access unlimited WiFi.
View the complete Iberia airlines unaccompanied minor service description here. The seats are limited, in that case, unaccompanied minor service needs to be booked in advance.
- Who can Use the Iberia Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
- How to Book Iberia Minor Traveling Alone Service?
- How Does Unaccompanied Minor Service Work with Iberia?
- Buy the child’s ticket
- Book and Pay the Unaccompanied Minor Fee
- Iberia Unaccompanied Minor Form
- Identification Required for Minors at Iberia
- Arrival Time at the Airport
- Unaccompanied minor on board
- Minor Arrival at the Destination
- Iberia Identification Requirements for Minors
- Unaccompanied Minor Fee for Traveling Alone on Iberia
- FAQs – Iberia Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Who can Use the Iberia Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
For Children aged 5 and 11
If your youngster is traveling alone or in a separate cabin from you, you must sign up for the service. If a youngster is not accompanied by a person who is 16 years of age or older, they are said to be traveling alone. In addition –
- The service is available on the flights operated by Iberia, Iberia Express, and Iberia Regional Air Nostrum.
- All children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult who is 16 or older on flights operated by British Airways and IB26XX operated by Iberia for LEVEL.
Youngsters between 12 and 17 years
As per the Iberia unaccompanied minor policy, this service is optional, not mandatory for the children aged between 12 and 17. In addition –
- If your son or daughter is traveling unaccompanied, the airline service staff accompany them from the departure to the arrival, including during transit if any stopovers are involved.
- For flights to and from Italy, the service is mandatory for minors under the age of 14.
- If an unaccompanied minor requests this service and their trip includes flights on another airline, including codeshare flights, the airline will not accept their bookings or tickets.
How to Book Iberia Minor Traveling Alone Service?
After you book the flight for your minor, you need to call the Iberia airlines to pay for the Iberia unaccompanied minor fee.
Over the phone – You can book the service up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure. Similarly, the airline allows you to sign up for the unaccompanied minor service until Friday evenings for flights on Monday morning.
Parents/legal guardians need to book the flight over the over by calling the Iberia customer service.
At the airport – If you are unable to add the unaccompanied minor service for up to 48 hours, you can reach the airport on the day of departure up to 150 minutes before the scheduled departure. Parents must ensure to carry all the required documentation.
How Does Unaccompanied Minor Service Work with Iberia?
Here is a step by step process when the passenger avail for Iberia airlines unaccompanied minor service, from buying the ticket to the arrival at the destination.
Buy the child’s ticket
You can purchase the ticket for the child under the age of 12 online or by calling the Iberia customer service.
Book and Pay the Unaccompanied Minor Fee
If you reserve the service at the same time as your flight, the fee will be added to your ticket. In case you decide to cancel the minor travel, the fee would be kept with the airline until you rebook the flight for the later date.
Iberia Unaccompanied Minor Form
The Release of Liability form is mandatory for the unaccompanied minors traveling with Iberia Airlines. Parents/legal guardians need to arrive at the airport up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure. The details required are as follows –
- The names listed on the form must match the people who will be picking up the child at the arrival airport and escorting them at the departure airport.
- The parents at both ends need to produce a valid form of identification.
- Name, address, and phone number of the person greeting the unaccompanied minor at the destination airport.
Identification Required for Minors at Iberia
Minors under the age of 14 are not required to carry any identification on domestic flights, but it will be easier for them to verify their identity if they do.
There is no set clause for international flights, but all children, regardless of age and whether they are traveling with an adult or not, must have their national ID card or passport with them. The unaccompanied minors traveling outside Spain must meet the travel condition of the destination country.
Arrival Time at the Airport
On the day of the flight, bring your child to the check-in desk at the airport. Parents and unaccompanied minors must report at the airport up to 3 hours before takeoff. In this case, the staff can validate all the paperwork and process they check-in. Children traveling alone are not eligible for mobile or online check-in of Iberia Airlines.
Iberia will provide the child a waist pouch containing all the necessary paperwork (ticket, passport, unaccompanied minor form, etc. These documents must be kept handy all times until the child arrives at the destination.
Unaccompanied minor on board
The child will board the Iberia flight and be placed in close proximity to the crew, who will look after them the whole journey. In addition –
- The airline’s entertainment system on board offers kid-friendly movies, cartoons, and audio program. It is available to the unaccompanied minors on the short-haul and long-haul flights.
On international flights, minors under the 12 years of age would be offered complimentary meals. When you make the reservation for the kids traveling alone, be sure to add the meal request.
Minor Arrival at the Destination
The minor will disembark last when they arrive. They will be escorted to the person authorized to collect them. The parents picking up the child at the airport need to produce a valid photo ID. They must sign the consent form accepting responsibility for the child after their information is verified. In addition –
- The airline will retrieve the child’s checked luggage from the baggage claim area.
- The Iberia airline unaccompanied minor service staff will pick up the youngsters if they have a connecting flight in Madrid, and help them escort to the Iberia business lounge at the airport.
- The airline crew member will take care of the child until it’s time to board the next plane.
Note – We will promptly get in touch with the people specified on the Iberia unaccompanied minor form in case the flight is delayed or canceled. The child will be constantly helped and attended over during this period.
Iberia Identification Requirements for Minors
If the kid is traveling alone or with someone who is not their parent –
For domestic flight – Children under 14 without a passport or national identity card may be required to present one of the following documents:
- A certificate signed by a notary public that includes the minor’s name, address, and picture.
- Formal authorisation documents obtained from a police officer. The letter must be obtained by the father, mother, or guardian personally appearing on behalf of the unaccompanied minor during the trip.
For Europe and other international travel – All minors must comply with the criteria of the destination country. They must carry a passport as per Iberia Airlines unaccompanied minor policy. In addition –
- If the unaccompanied minor does not have a passport, then parents or guardians must present their other ID.
- Legal guardians of foreign minors residing in Spain must visit the consulate to complete the required paperwork in accordance with Spanish law.
Unaccompanied Minor Fee for Traveling Alone on Iberia
As per the Iberia unaccompanied minor policy, following is the fee for the said service –
|Travel Route||Domestic flights (without Canary Islands)||Europe, Canary Islands, Middle East||America, South Africa and Asia|
|Unaccompanied minor fee (in USD)||55||85||145|
|Travel Route||National Connection (without Canary Islands)||National/Canary Islands/Europe connection,||National/Long radio connection|
|Unaccompanied minor fee (in USD)||85||120||180|
Note – When you reserve the service, kindly keep the fluctuating exchange rates in mind. Depending on the laws in each country, there can also be extra fees, taxes, or levies.
We hope this guide helped you learn more about Iberia unaccompanied minor policy. We tried to include all the information that you need to know so that your child can travel safely. However, if you still have questions, feel free to contact Iberia and they will be happy to help you. Moreover, do visit their website for other important details.
FAQs – Iberia Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Yes, children between 5 and 12 years of age are allowed to fly alone as per the Iberia unaccompanied minor policy.
To travel within Spain, Europe , and the Middle East, the airline charges 85 USD as the Iberia unaccompanied minor fee. To travel on flights to and from Asia, South Africa and North America, the unaccompanied minor service fee is 145 USD.
Passengers have the option to book the flight online, and pay the fee on the day of departure at the airport. Passengers can also book the flight for minors via Iberia customer service, and pay the service fee with the airfare.
Yes, youngsters who are 15 years or older can travel unaccompanied. However, it is not mandatory to sign up for Iberia unaccompanied minor service.
Yes, unaccompanied minors need to produce an attested copy of the consent form alongside the passport, birth certificate or any government issued photo ID. For travel outside Europe, a passport is mandatory for unaccompanied minors flying with Iberia airlines.