All Nippon Airways (ANA) strives to make your travel experience as smooth as possible. To ensure that you have a comfortable and stress-free journey, it is important to be familiar with All Nippon Airways baggage policy.
In this guide, you will find detailed information on what items you are allowed to bring on board, the size and weight limitations for checked and carry-on bags, and any fees that may apply. Whether you’re a first-time traveler or a frequent flier, this guide will help you understand the ANA baggage policy and make the most of your journey.
- What is the carry-on baggage allowance for All Nippon Airways?
- What is Checked Baggage Allowance from ANA?
- What is the Additional Baggage Allowance for ANA Mileage Club Members?
- Children Baggage Allowance for Infants
- Baggage Drop Machines
- Passengers on ANA Using Wheelchairs
- Passengers Using Electric Wheelchairs
- Describe an Overview of the ANA Extra Baggage Fee
- Excess Baggage Fee on Domestic Flight
- Excess Baggage Charges on International Flights
- Prepaid Excess Baggage
- How to Proceed if Your Baggage on ANA Is Damaged or Lost?
- What is allowed or restricted under ANA Sports Equipment Policy?
- ANA Baggage Policy for Musical Instruments
What is the carry-on baggage allowance for All Nippon Airways?
As per the All Nippon Airways baggage policy, the cabin/hand luggage allowance includes 1 personal item and 1 carry-on bag. In addition –
The maximum allowed weight for each passenger is 22 lbs./10 kg, including personal items.
The table below illustrates All Nippon Airways carry-on size that apply to aircraft with 100 seats or fewer.
|Carry-on Baggage |
|1 Carry-on Bag Max. Dimensions for |
100+ seat aircraft (115cm/45in )
Less than 100 seat aircraft
|1 Personal Item |
Must fit under your front
seat or in the overhead bin
Carry-on Baggage Allowance for lap Infants
If your baby stroller fits inside your luggage size limit when folded, you can bring it on board. In addition –
- You are not permitted to bring a second carry-on bag if your youngster is traveling in a stroller.
- You are permitted to bring a personal item, such as a handbag, an umbrella, or a camera, onboard.
- Before passing through the ticket gate, you must fold and pack your baby stroller inside a case.
What is Checked Baggage Allowance from ANA?
ANA allows 2 to 3 bags, weighing 50 or 70 pounds each, per passenger, depending on your travel class, as stated below. The details mentioned below are in compliance as per All Nippon Airways checked baggage policy.
|Travel Class||Weight Limit||Number of Pieces||Size Limit|
|First Class||70 lb/ 32 kg per bag||3 pieces||158/62 linear inches|
|Business Class||70 lb/ 32 kg per bag||2 pieces||158/62 linear inches|
|Premium Economy Class||50lb/23 kg per bag||2 pieces||158/62 linear inches|
|Economy Class||50lb/23 kg per bag||2 pieces||158/62 linear inches|
Checked Baggage Rule
As per All Nippon Airways baggage policy, the combined linear dimension of the weight must be within 158 cm/62 linear inches. In addition –
- All checked bags must be checked in at a self-service kiosk or an check-in counter.
- If you are flying domestically within Japan on a Premium Economy fare, you are eligible for the First Class baggage allowance.
- Checked baggage allowance for ANA unaccompanied minors would be the same as adult ticketed fare.
What is the Additional Baggage Allowance for ANA Mileage Club Members?
Members of the ANA Mileage Club (AMC) are permitted to travel with more luggage on both domestic and foreign flights.
|Membership Tier||Domestic Routes (Japan)||International Routes|
|ANA Mileage Club Bronze||Not applicable||1 additional bag based on fare type|
|ANA Mileage Club Diamond||44 lbs/ 20 kg (Primary member)||1 additional bag based on fare type|
|ANA Mileage Club Platinum||44 lbs/ 20 kg (Primary member)||1 additional bag based on fare type|
|Super Flyer Cardholders||44 lbs/ 20 kg (Primary member)||1 additional bag based on fare type|
Children Baggage Allowance for Infants
You are permitted to bring one additional piece of luggage over and above your allotted baggage while traveling with a lap infant (under 2 years old) who does not occupy a seat. In addition –
- The weight and dimensions of the extra luggage must adhere to the usual baggage regulations that are applicable to your ticket.
- Children traveling in their own seats on ANA Airlines are given the same baggage allowance as the accompanying adult passenger.
Baggage Drop Machines
At a few airports, you can utilize a self-service bag drop machine. You can head straight to a self-service machine to check in your luggage if you’ve checked in for your flight and have a boarding pass.
In order to check in for an overseas trip, the following passengers must visit an ANA check-in desk; they are not permitted to utilize a self-service luggage drop machine:
- Passengers who require assistance boarding.
- Passengers who must pay extra luggage charges.
- Passengers who will check in fragile, risky, or unusual luggage.
- Passengers who availed ANA pet travel service.
- Passengers who will be checking in golf bags, surfboards, skis or snowboards, strollers, tripods, or umbrellas.
- If you’ve used a self-service baggage drop machine to print a baggage tag, affix it to your bag before checking it in.
- There are self-service baggage drop machines at:
|Destination Airport||Baggage check-in time|
|Tokyo (Narita) Airport (only for flights to the United States and Mexico)||2.5 hours before departure|
|Hong Kong International Airport||2.5 hours before departure|
Passengers on ANA Using Wheelchairs
You should check in your wheelchair at the check-in desk and utilize ANA’s wheelchair due to space restrictions. Add to that –
- An attendant will be assigned to you and assist you in finding your seat.
- Wheelchairs are available for use in the ANA planes’ cabins.
- Please let ANA know if you plan to bring your own wheelchair with you onto/off the plane.
- Consult the ANA officials at the airport for information on size limitations and flight eligibility.
- Only one folding manual will be accepted on foreign flights by ANA.
Passengers Using Electric Wheelchairs
When you book your flight with ANA, give them the following information:
- Dimensions and weight of the wheelchair.
- The type of battery or batteries utilized.
- Check in at least two hours before your flight.
Describe an Overview of the ANA Extra Baggage Fee
All Nippon Airways baggage policy, if your free baggage allowance is exceeded, you will be charged an excess baggage fee. The baggage fee and currency will be determined by your itinerary, the airport where the costs will be paid, and the aircraft sectors where the bags will be checked in. ANA will accept up to 220 lb/100 kg of baggage per aircraft for domestic flights inside Japan.
Excess Baggage Fee on Domestic Flight
You are permitted to bring up to 220 lbs (100 kg) on domestic routes after paying the appropriate ANA extra baggage fees per flight, as given in the chart below.
|Travel Route||1 – 10 kg (in USD)||11 – 20 kg (in USD)||21 – 30 kg (in USD)||Each additional 10 kg (in USD)|
|Tokyo–Hachijojima, HokkaidoFukuoka–Tsushima/GotoFukue/MiyazakiNagasaki–Tsushima/Goto Fukue/IkiOkinawa (Naha) –Miyako/Ishigaki||15||20||30||10 USD for 10 Kg each|
|Remaining routes within Japan||20||30||35||10 USD for 10 Kg each|
Excess Baggage Charges on International Flights
The following factors determine how much ANA Airlines extra baggage fees on international routes:
- North America, Central America, South America, and Hawaii comprise Area 1.
- Area 2 includes Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Russia (West of the Urals).
- Area 3 includes Russia (East of the Urals), Japan, and Oceania in Asia.
|Travel Route||Extra Piece (in USD)||Overweight Price (in USD)||Oversized Piece (in USD)|
|23 – 32 kg||32 – 45 kg||158 – 292cm (62 – 115 inches)|
|Between Areas 1, 2, and 3||200||60||200|
|Within any of Area 1, 2 and 3||100||60||200|
Please keep in mind the following consideration under All Nippon Airways excess baggage allowance –
- You will be charged for both the weight and the size of your bag.
- There may be a consumption tax on flights within Japan’s domestic territory.
- If the regulations of the United States or Canada apply to your route, different fees can be charged.
- If subject to Canadian or American restrictions, there might be a different extra baggage cost.
- Will not accept any checked bags that are more than 292 cm long (L + W + H) or 45 kg heavy (99 lb).
- Some aircraft/routes may not accept checked bags due to space limitations, even if their total linear dimensions are less than 292 cm.
- On the Boeing B787-8 and B787-9, the maximum linear dimensions are 250 cm. The A320’s height is 260 cm.
Prepaid Excess Baggage
You can prepay for excess luggage on ANA website up to 6 hours before departure.
You can accomplish this by using the following link to access your flight reservation on ANA’s website:
- Visit the ANA’s Reservation Search page.
- Click here to access the Reservation Details page:
- Enter your reservation number, first and last name, and email address, if applicable.
- Select the Search icon.
- When choosing your flight and adding extra baggage, adhere to the on-screen instructions.
- Confirm and pay
- By logging into your ANA Mileage Club account, you can also pay in advance for extra luggage.
How to Proceed if Your Baggage on ANA Is Damaged or Lost?
If your luggage on an ANA aircraft is damaged when it arrives, you must
- Inform the ANA airport employees right away.
- You have seven days from the time you claim your luggage to file a Damaged Baggage Declaration Form (by fax or postal mail) if you discover the damage after leaving the airport.
- Please attach a copy of the following when submitting the form:
- Ticket receipt
- Boarding pass
- Tag for baggage claim
After receiving the form, ANA checked baggage claim damage form will let you know what comes next. You might not be reimbursed for relatively modest harm, including but not restricted to:
- dirt stains, scratches, dents, or cuts.
- Wheels, pockets, handles, or other projecting parts getting damaged.
- Items that are improperly packed in overloaded bags.
You must inform ANA’s airport officials right away if your luggage doesn’t show up.
- A reference number will be provided to you, and if it cannot be located, you will need it to submit a claim.
- By entering this reference number on the Baggage Tracing System website, you can check the status of your luggage.
- If the bag cannot be located, you may be requested to complete a Missing Property Questionnaire, which will be used as a guide for ANA lost baggage compensation. The due process can take 30 to 45 days.
Liability of ANA for Lost and Damaged Bags
ANA will only be liable for 15 USD per kg or 1000 USD per passenger for lost or delayed checked bags and 5,000 French Gold Francs for lost or delayed unchecked bags per passenger, as per All Nippon Airways baggage policy. In addition –
- The passenger will only be held liable for the higher declared value if they have declared a higher value and paid for it.
- There are greater rates of compensation for wheelchairs, mobility aids, and assistive devices damage.
What is allowed or restricted under ANA Sports Equipment Policy?
Sport goods are considered to be part of your free baggage allowance by ANA. Sport goods with combined linear dimensions up to 292 cm/115 in are exempt from the overweight baggage fee.
All Nippon Airways checked baggage allowance states that Sports equipment that you are permitted to bring on board for free as checked luggage include, but are not restricted to:
- golf slings
- diving gears
- fish-catching gear
You will be responsible for paying the appropriate ANA extra baggage fees if your athletic equipment weighs more than your free baggage allowance.
Exceptions – If your athletic luggage’s total linear dimensions are greater than the ones shown below, it won’t be considered oversized luggage.
|Dimension for sports equipment||Additional information|
|158cm/62in – 292cm/115in||ABA extra baggage fee waiver applies|
|Exceed 292cm/115 in||Not accepted under ANA checked baggage allowance|
Points to remember – here are the important points to consider as per All Nippon airways baggage policy –
- If your athletic goods’ total linear dimensions are greater than 203 cm/80 inches, you are required to call ANA. In order to avoid delays, make your inquiry as soon as you can.
- Your sporting equipment needs to be carefully packed.
- Tennis and badminton rackets may be checked in or brought on board as long as they don’t exceed the baggage size restrictions.
- Electric bicycles are allowed as long as you adhere to the rules for lithium batteries, but electric automobiles are not permitted on flights.
ANA Baggage Policy for Musical Instruments
All Nippon Airways baggage policy varies for domestic and international flights.
For International Flights
You are permitted to bring musical instruments as free baggage on ANA flights. Excess baggage fees will be assessed if your musical instrument weighs more than the permitted amounts for free luggage. The size (total linear dimensions) is treated differently than standard luggage, though.
- Musical instruments with total dimensions up to 203cm/80in will not incur overweight baggage fees.
- There will be extra baggage fees for musical instruments that are between 203cm/80in and 292cm/115in in length. Passengers must notify ANA in advance.
- Checking in musical instruments longer than 292cm/115in is not permitted.
- For large or delicate musical instruments, you are permitted to purchase an additional seat.
|Size of the Musical instrument||Additional information|
|158cm/62in – 203cm/80in||Oversized baggage fee waived.|
|203cm/80in – 292cm/115in||Subject to excess baggage charges|
|More than 292cm/115in||Not permitted as all nippon airways checked baggage|
For Domestic Flights
Musical instruments are permitted as checked baggage as long as they don’t exceed your free baggage allotment. If it takes up more space than your carry-on allows, you can check it in or pay an additional passenger fee to buy a seat for it. Additionally, ANA offers specialized cases for musical instruments like guitars and violins.
- If the total linear measurement is less than 115 cm:
- Your musical instrument is acceptable as carry-on luggage.
- This applies to aircraft having 100 or more seats.
- The total linear dimensions cannot be greater than 100 cm if your aircraft has fewer than 100 seats.
- For aircraft fewer than 100 seats, the dimension of the musical instrument must be within 45 x 35 x 20 cm.
- Your musical instrument must be kept in the overhead bin.
- If the total linear dimensions are greater than 115 cm:
- All musical instruments must go as ANA check-in baggage.
- If your aircraft has fewer than 100 seats, any musical instruments longer than 100 cm must be checked.
- Large or delicate instruments may be transported on a paid seat for an additional fee:
|Class of service||Excess baggage fee for musical instruments (in USD)|
In conclusion, the All Nippon Airways baggage policy allows passengers to bring a certain amount of luggage on board, based on the ticket class and route, with the option to purchase additional baggage allowances if needed.
The airline strives to provide a convenient and hassle-free travel experience to its customers by offering various baggage services and options. It is advisable to review the baggage policy in advance and to familiarize oneself with the regulations and restrictions to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
1 piece of carry-on baggage weighing up to 10 kg (22 lbs) and with dimensions up to 115 cm (45 in) (sum of length, width, and height).1 piece of checked baggage weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs) and with dimensions up to 158 cm (62 in) (sum of length, width, and height).
ANA allows passengers in Economy class to check in up to two pieces of baggage, with each piece weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs) for most routes. Passengers in Business and First class may be allowed to check in more bags or heavier bags, depending on the specific route and fare type.