British Airways baggage policy offers the most generous baggage allowance with multiple items of hand luggage and abundant checked baggage options. In addition, there’s plenty of room for wheelchairs, strollers, car or bassinet seats, skis, and all musical instruments. Here are the important considerations from the British Airways baggage rules –
- Passengers should not carry fragile or perishable items such as money, jewelry, electronic gadgets, and precious metals in their checked bags.
- Upon submitting the checked baggage, the passengers would be issued British Airways baggage tracking code to help identify, in case it is misplaced.
- British Airways checked baggage would be transported to the same aircraft as you are scheduled to travel.
- If you’re traveling with sporting or musical equipment, the dimensions of the particular article must be in adherence to the British Airways baggage policy. It should be transported as checked baggage.
- As paper British Airways baggage policy, there is no weight limit and overweight charges for medical equipment. However, there is a capping on the number of articles as these items would be considered as British Airways checked baggage. All medical supplies need to be supported by an official medical letter.
- Passengers are required to pay British Airways additional baggage fee if the weight limit surpasses in excess of the free baggage allowance.
British Airways Baggage Allowance
With British Airways passengers can have a generous baggage allowance where passengers can carry up to two hand luggage and numerous checked luggage. In addition, there’s plenty of room for wheelchairs, pushchairs, musical instruments, golf kits, and much more.
British Airways Checked Baggage Allowance
Depending upon the fare condition, and the class of service selected, each checked item must be within 90 x 75 x 43 cm including handles, pockets, and wheels. The weight limit of the British Airways checked baggage item must not exceed 23 kg for domestic travel and 32 kg for international travel.
|Ticket Type||Baggage Allowance|
|British Airways Domestic (Economy)||1 bag at 23kg|
|British Airways International (full-fare Economy)||2 bags at 23kg each|
|British Airways Premium Economy||2 bags at 23kg each|
|British Airways Business||2 bags at 32kg each|
|British Airways First Class||3 bags at 32kg each|
British Airways Hand Baggage Allowance
As per British Airways baggage policy, all passengers, regardless of travel type, fare rules, and class of service, are entitled to carry one piece of hand luggage on board and one personal item. British Airways baggage limit for the carry-on bag must not exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm, and 40 x 30 x 15 cm for a small item. The combined weight of hand luggage and a small item must be within 10 kg.
British Airways Baggage Fees
Here’s the complete overview of the British Airways baggage requirements and the fees associated with them –
|Baggage Type||Size Restrictions||Weight Allowance||British Airways Baggage Fees||British Airways extra baggage fees|
|Cabin Baggage||56 x 45 x 25cm||10 kg||No Charge||Airport restrictions apply if oversized or overweight|
|Checked Baggage||90 x 75 x 43cm||23kg – 32kg depending on route/ticket type||50-100 USD depending on route/ticket type||*see excess baggage*|
|Excess Baggage||90 x 75 x 43cm||32kg||100 USD per bag||N/A|
British Airways Additional Baggage Policy
Regardless of domestic and international travel, as per British Airways baggage policy, passengers are entitled to get free baggage allowance depending on the class of service and ticket type selected.
As per British Airways’ extra baggage policy, passengers are entitled to take extra weight or pieces of luggage for a charge. In most circumstances, passengers can save money by purchasing extra baggage allowance online at a discounted price. As per British Airways baggage policy –
- As per British Airways carry-on baggage limit allowance, if your hand luggage goes over the allowance included with the ticket price, it would be transported as the checked baggage, and passengers need to pay as per the airlines’ checked baggage policy.
- If the British Airways checked baggage allowance exceeds the allowance included with the ticket price, a passenger needs to pay British Airways extra baggage charges of 100 USD per overweight article each way.
- British Airways baggage limit is per bag, and can’t be split between multiple bags.
- As per British Airways baggage policy, the airlines would not accept any checked bag over 32 kg
British Airways Lost Baggage Policy
The airlines take pride in carrying passengers’ luggage safely and speedily to their stopovers/final destinations. Any lost or damaged baggage could be distressing as the airlines would do anything in power to ensure hassle-free travel. As per British Airways baggage policy, the airlines return the lost luggage to their owners in hours.
Here’s everything you need to know about how to track lost baggage with British Airways –
Report a missing bag – If you’re still at the airport you need to report your baggage to a British Airways baggage staff. If you’ve left the airport, you can report your bags online. Add to that, you can call British Airways baggage lost contact number at . Passengers must report a lost/damaged baggage within 8 days of the bag going missing.
Receiving a text – If your baggage is lost and is under the airline’s information, they will send you an email or text message with a British Airways baggage tracking number that will help you trace your lost luggage.
Trace your missing baggage – After receiving the British Airways baggage tracking number, you can log into the airline’s baggage tracing portal to –
- Check the status of the missing bag
- Add additional details that help the airline identify your baggage
- Update your contact details and forwarding address
Report a damaged bag – It includes missing or damaged contents as well as a damaged suitcase. If you’re still at the airport you need to report your baggage via the ‘damaged baggage claim British Airways’ counter. If you’ve left the airport, you can report your bags online. Add to that, you can call British Airways baggage lost contact number at . Passengers must report a lost/damaged baggage within 7 days of receiving their checked bags.
British Airways Baggage Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As per British Airways baggage policy, the airlines would not accept any checked bag over 32 kg. If the British Airways checked baggage allowance exceeds the allowance included with the ticket price, a passenger needs to pay British Airways extra baggage charges of 100 USD per overweight article each way.
There aren’t any baggage limit or overweight charges for medical supplies and the related equipment. However, there is a limit to the number of checked bags for medication or medical supplies.
All British Airways checked baggage that contains medical supplies or equipment needs to be supported by a medical letter and must be authorized when you check-in at the airport.
As per British Airways interline baggage agreements, if your journey includes a connection with other interline or codeshare agreement flights, you’ll enjoy the most significant airline’s allowance. Passengers can normally check bags –
1- All your flight are under a single booking reference
2 – All your flights are with one-world alliance members and under a single booking reference.
An infant on a lap can have British airways checked baggage allowance of 23 kg, regardless of the class of service and the fare type selected. Children and infant with a seat have the same free baggage allowance as adults.