When it comes to air travel, checking in for your flight is an important and necessary step. In this article, we’ll explore the check-in process for British Airways. From online check-in to airport kiosks and bag drop-off, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make your British Airways check-in experience as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Whether you’re a frequent flyer or a first-time traveler, read on for all the tips and information you need to know.
Is there an online check-in option with British Airways?
Yes, The airlines offer online check-in for their flights. Passengers can request British Airways check-in online through the airline’s website or mobile app.
NOTE: During online check-in, passengers can select their seat, print their boarding pass or download it to their mobile device, and sometimes even pay for additional baggage or choose their meal preference.
What conditions must be met before using Online Check-in?
There are several conditions that must be met before using online check-in for British Airways –
- Your flight must not be departing within the next 90 minutes.
- Have a valid form of identification, such as a passport or government-issued ID, that matches the information provided during booking.
- Requires necessary travel documents, such as a visa, if required for your destination.
- Do not have any special assistance requests, such as wheelchair assistance or the need for oxygen during the flight.
- Must not be traveling with an infant or a pet that requires special handling.
If all of these conditions are met, you should be able to use the British Airways online check-in service for your flight.
What time does check-in open for British Airways flight booking?
Check-in online with British Airways usually opens 24 hours before the scheduled departure time and closes either 1 hour or 90 minutes before departure time, depending on the airport and destination.
However, the closing time varies with the airport, such as –
|Airport||Check-in close times|
|Long haul international airports||At least 60 minutes before all flights departCheck Mana|
|Other UK airports||45 minutes before all flights depart|
|London City||20 minutes before all flights depart|
|Short haul European airports||45 minutes before all flights depart, except at:Amsterdam, Amman, Antalya, Berlin (Brandenburg), Dalaman, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Lisbon, Madrid, Milan (Malpensa) and Palma de Mallorca – 1 hour|
|London Gatwick||60 minutes before long haul flights depart60 minutes before short haul flights depart|
|London Heathrow||60 minutes before long haul flights depart45 minutes before short haul flights depart|
I have luggage to check; can I use online check-in?
Yes. You must drop your British Airways checked-in baggage at the airport’s Fast Drop or Self-Service Check-in Kiosk before the cut-off time.
How can I check in online?
To request British Airways check-in online, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the British Airways website.
- Click on the “Manage My Booking” tab on the homepage.
- Enter your booking reference and last name in the given fields and click on “Find booking.”
- Your booking details will be displayed.
- Click on the “Check-in” button.
- Follow the prompts to complete the check-in process, including selecting your seat and printing your boarding pass.
Why is British Airways not letting me check in online?
There could be several reasons why British Airways won’t let me check in online in 2022. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Due to technical issues with the website or app.
- Certain restrictions, such as destination or departure airport regulations, or the type of ticket you purchased.
- Passengers who purchased British Airways unaccompanied minor service.
- Require British Airways special assistance due to a disability.
- Online British Airways check-in may only be available within a certain time frame before the scheduled departure. If you are outside this window, you will need to check in at the airport.
It’s recommended to contact British Airways customer service for more information on the specific reason why you are unable to check in online.
How to cancel online check-in for a British Airways reservation?
To cancel British Airways check-in online for any existing reservation, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the British Airways website and click the “Manage” tab.
- Enter your booking reference and last name to access your booking.
- Once you have accessed your booking, you should see the option to cancel your check-in. Click on the “Cancel check-in” button.
- Follow the prompts to confirm that you want to cancel your check-in.
Alternatively, you can also contact British Airways customer service and ask them to cancel your online check-in for you. You can reach them through their website or by phone.
Can I select/change my seat when I check in online?
Yes, you can choose or modify your seat at online check-in. Starting a day before departure, everyone can choose their seat. If you are a Bronze member, you can reserve your seat starting 7 days before your trip. You can secure a seat at the time of booking if you are a Silver or Gold member. To learn more about selecting your seat, visit here.
Is there a mobile check-in option with British Airways?
Yes, British Airways offers mobile check-in options for their flights. You can check in for your flight using the British Airways app on your mobile device or by visiting their website on your mobile browser.
To request the British Airways web check-in app –
- Download and install the British Airways app on your mobile device.
- Open the app and log in to your account.
- Tap on the “Check-in” button, which can usually be found on the home screen of the app.
- Enter your booking reference number, last name, and flight details when prompted.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the check-in process.
Once you have completed the check-in process, you will be able to access your mobile boarding pass, which you can save on your device or print out.
Can I request the check-in with a BA Customer Service executive?
You can request to check in with British Airways over the phone by calling their customer service center.
NOTE: This service may not be available for all flights or all airports, and there may be additional fees for using this service.
What time should I set aside if I intend to check in at the airport?
British Airways recommends that you arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure time for long-haul flights and 2 hours before for short-haul flights.
This will give you enough time to check in, drop off your luggage (if required), clear security, and make your way to the boarding gate.
Can I request British Airways check-in at the airport?
Yes. If you prefer to request British Airways check-in at the airport, you should be able to do so, but you may need to arrive earlier to allow enough time for the check-in process, security, and boarding.
Follow these steps to complete the check-in at the airport –
- Locate the check-in area
- Join the queue at the check-in counter.
- Make sure you have your passport, visa, and any other required travel documents ready.
- A British Airways representative will ask for your booking details.
- If you have any checked baggage the British Airways representative will tag it and send it to the baggage handling system.
- Once you have completed the check-in process, the British Airways representative will give you your boarding pass.
- You will need to proceed to security, where your carry-on luggage and personal belongings will be screened.
What is the required paperwork to complete the check-in at the airport?
Here are the documents that need to be kept handy when check-in with British Airways –
- Passport or other government-issued identification
- Boarding pass
- Visa or travel authorization
- Customs declaration forms
- COVID-19 related documents
How do I print my British Airways boarding pass?
To print your British Airways boarding pass, you have a few options:
- You can check in for your flight and print your boarding pass online through the British Airways website or mobile app.
- You can also use a self-service check-in kiosk at the airport to print your boarding pass.
- You can do so at the check-in counter at the airport. You will need to present your passport and provide your booking reference or e-ticket number. The representative will print your boarding pass for you.
What time do I need to arrive at the boarding gate?
British Airways recommends that you arrive at the boarding gate at least 45 minutes before your scheduled departure time for short-haul flights within Europe, and at least 60 minutes before for long-haul flights.
How do I know my boarding group for a British Airways flight?
After you complete the British Airways flight check-in, refer to this table to learn about your boarding group –
|Group number||Long haul customers||Short haul customers|
|Priority Group 1||FirstExecutive Club Gold Membersoneworld Emerald members||Business (Club Europe)Executive Club Gold Membersoneworld Emerald members|
|Priority Group 2||Business (Club World)Executive Club Silver Membersoneworld Sapphire members||Executive Club Silver Membersoneworld Sapphire members|
|Priority Group 3||Premium economy (World Traveller Plus)Executive Club Bronze Membersoneworld Ruby members||Executive Club Bronze Membersoneworld Ruby members|
|Groups 4 – 9||Economy (World Traveller)||Economy (Euro Traveller)|
When does boarding close for a British Airways flight?
The boarding gate usually closes 20-30 minutes before the scheduled departure time for short-haul flights and 45-60 minutes before the scheduled departure time for long-haul flights.