British Airways understands that travelers may need to cancel their tickets due to unavoidable circumstances. To make the process easier, the airline has introduced a traveler-friendly British Airways cancellation policy.
The terms and conditions of ticket cancellation are also based on EU aviation guidelines. It will be easier to cancel your flights if you understand the policy applies and how you can use it.
- What are British Airways Ticket Cancellation Guidelines?
- What is British Airways Cancelation Policy According to Fare?
- What is British Airways 24-Hour Cancellation Policy?
- What is British Airways Holidays Cancellation Policy?
- What is British Airways No Show Cancellation Policy?
- How to Cancel British Airways Flights?
- How does British Airways Help with Delays, Cancellations, and Refunds?
- What is British Airways Refund Policy?
- How much are the British Airways Cancellation Fees?
What are British Airways Ticket Cancellation Guidelines?
The BA flight cancellation policy can be used in most situations, but there are some rules to follow.
- One important rule is to be aware of the risk-free period, during which cancellations are easy to make.
- There are also additional rules to be aware of, such as the cancellation fee, which varies depending on whether the flight is domestic or international.
- You can cancel your ticket up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight.
- If you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking, you will receive a full refund. The risk-free cancellation policy covers all types of tickets.
- If British Airways cancels your flight, you are entitled to a full refund. To cancel a British Airways flight, you can visit the ‘Manage My Booking’ portal on the British Airways website.
What is British Airways Cancelation Policy According to Fare?
When searching for the most suitable ticket, the airline offers two types of fares. Here is the overview of the British Airways cancelation policy for the following fares –
- Lowest price – These fares may have restrictions regarding changes and refunds. In some cases, modifications or cancellations may not be permitted. The fare would be on the lower side.
- Flexible ticket – The fare allows flyers to cancel and change British Airways flights without incurring any penalty fees.
What is British Airways 24-Hour Cancellation Policy?
British Airways passengers are eligible for a full refund without any penalty within 24 hours of making the original booking. The exception applies to the following booking –
- British Airways Holidays Booking
- Reservation booked with miles.
- Group reservation (which includes 10 or more passengers)
- Discount or promo fare which is not available to the general public.
If you have any questions or need assistance with cancellation and refund processes, reach out to British Airways’ contact centers for prompt support.
What is British Airways Holidays Cancellation Policy?
As per British Airways cancelation policy, the following conditions may apply –
- If you cancel more than 28 days before travel, no refund would be provided.
- If you cancel more than 72 hours but less than 28 days before travel, you will lose 60% of the total package price.
- If you cancel within 72 hours of travel, you will lose 100% of the booking value.
Please be aware that there will be no refund payable if your vacation package includes a hotel. This would have been made clear throughout the booking process on the room selection page.
You can view/print your hotel voucher in Manage My Booking (see the ‘Print non-flight voucher’ link in the Quick Links section at the bottom of the page).
How to request a refund – You can request a full refund for a British Airways Holidays booking if your flight has been canceled, your booked accommodation has been closed, or new major travel restrictions have been imposed. More information can be found here.
How much is the cancellation fee applicable? – Here is the overview of the British Airways cancelation fees for the Holiday Package –
For Flight + Hotel and Flight + Car Package
|Cancellation Timeframe||Refund Policy|
|More than 28 days before travel (short haul)||Loss of deposit|
|More than 35 days before travel (European ski resorts)||Loss of deposit|
|More than 7 weeks before travel (long haul)||Loss of deposit|
|More than 72 hours before travel (short haul)||Loss of 60% of the total package price|
|More than 72 hours and up to 7 weeks before travel (long haul)||Loss of 60% of the total package price|
|Less than 72 hours before travel||No refund due|
For Hotel Only, Car Only
|Cancellation Timeframe||Refund Policy|
|More than 72 hours before travel||Loss of 20%|
|Less than 72 hours before travel||No refund due|
|Non-changeable/non-refundable hotels||No refund due|
How to request a refund for the British Airways Holiday Package – To cancel the vacation package and request a refund, you can fill out this form. And do the following –
- Enter your details and the reason for the refund.
- Please note that passengers are only eligible for a refund if the booking meets the cancelation criteria.
- Then select one of the following eligible reasons.
- Review the terms and conditions.
- Please tick the box to confirm, and then hit the ‘Submit’ button.
What is British Airways No Show Cancellation Policy?
Passengers who fail to inform us in advance about any required changes and decide not to travel on one of the flights are referred to as a “no-show”.
Once a passenger is marked a no-show, all the remaining unused flights in your itinerary will be invalidated and automatically canceled.
How to Cancel British Airways Flights?
As per the convenience of a customer, The airline offers2 ways to cancel a ticket – online as well as through customer services.
Method 1: Cancel Flight Ticket Online
In case of online flight cancellation, a customer is required to access the official website. It provides you with the Manage Booking option once you access your account on this site.
In the process, the complete details of the traveler will be required. Additionally, you will have to pay certain charges, if applied under the policy.
- As the first step, a customer is required to browse through the British Airways / BA website.
- Next, the “Manage” option is to be clicked on in order to navigate to the My Booking Page.
- Enter the Booking reference and the last name of the passenger.
- Then go to the “Find My Booking” segment.
- Enter into the “Trips” section.
- There, the option to cancel flights is to be selected.
- In the payment segment, you have to pay the cancellation charges.
Method 2: Cancel Flight via Customer Service
At times, due to certain complications, a customer may require the guidance of customer service. The offline method is available for such customers. Once in contact with the customer care executive, you have to provide the booking details.
The executive will then be able to cancel the flight ticket on your behalf. He/she may further assist you in the processes related to ticket canceling and refund. Follow these steps –
- You can reach British Airways customer service through their dedicated phone line. There is a detailed table mentioned below that specifies the number for the countries where you calling from.
- When you connect with a customer service representative, provide them with your booking information.
- Ask the customer service representative about the fees, and refund options based on your ticket type.
- Express your intention to cancel the flight.
- Double-check with the customer service representative to ensure that the cancellation has been successfully processed.
- Confirm any refund or credit information.
- Take note of any reference numbers or confirmation details provided by the customer service representative.
Passengers calling from the following countries may refer to the respective number as mentioned in the table below –
|Country||Flight Cancelation Phone Number||Operating Hours|
|USA||Telephone: 1-800-AIRWAYS||Daily, 7am – 1am: EST|
|United Kingdom||Telephone: 0344 493 0787 option 1||Daily: 06:00-20:00|
|Turkey||Telephone: +49 4211 462 1911||Monday – Friday: 10:00-19:00|
|Sweden||Telephone: +46 (0)770 110 020||Monday – Friday: 09:00-18:00|
|Argentina||Telephone: 0800 222 0075 (local calls)||Monday – Friday: 06:00-17:00|
|Canada||Telephone: 1800 – AIRWAYS||Daily: 07:00-23:00 EST|
|China||Telephone: 400 881 0207||Monday – Friday: 09:00-18:00|
How does British Airways Help with Delays, Cancellations, and Refunds?
As per British Airways cancelation policy, if the flight is canceled, or delayed, passengers are eligible to claim the compensation.
When can you claim compensation – Under the following circumstances, passengers can request British Airways flight cancellations compensation –
|If the flight is delayed at the final destination by 3 hours or more||Compensation may be provided|
|Passengers have been informed of flight cancellations within 2 weeks of departure||Compensation may be provided|
|If British Airways informs you of a flight cancellation between 7 and 13 days before your scheduled departure. Provided, the alternate flight departs no more than 2 hours before the originally scheduled time. And, an arrival time that is less than 4 hours after the originally scheduled time||Compensation may not be provided|
|Cancellation informed less than 7 days before scheduled departure, the alternative route offered with departure no more than 1 hour before the scheduled time and arrival less than 2 hours after the scheduled time||Compensation may not be provided|
When can you not claim compensation – Passengers are not eligible for British Airways canceled flight compensation under the following circumstances –
- Passengers are informed of flight cancellation 14 days or more before the scheduled departure date.
- Any delays that last no more than 3 hours.
- If you reschedule a flight to a different destination or change the departure airport.
- If the flight cancellation or delay was affected by any extenuating circumstances. Refer here to know what these extenuating circumstances would be.
How much compensation will passengers receive – Below is the overview of the British Airways canceled flight compensation –
|Flight Distance||Compensation Amount||Compensation Amount (with alternative route)|
|Up to 1,500km||250 EUR||125 EUR|
|More than 1,500km within the EU||400 EUR||200 EUR|
|More than 1,500km and up to 3,500km||400 EUR||200 EUR|
|All other flights||600 EUR||300 EUR|
Please note – The compensation amount would be reduced to 50% if an alternate flight would be taken by the passenger.
What is British Airways Refund Policy?
As per British Airways refund policy, the following conditions will apply –
- The General Guidelines include –
- Refunds will generally be issued to the individual who made the payment for the ticket.
- To qualify for a refund, you must provide sufficient evidence that you are the person who paid for the ticket.
- The refund amount varies with the fare, carrier-imposed charges, and surcharges, as well as any unused portion of the ticket and applicable taxes, fees, and charges.
- Involuntary Refunds – British Airways offers refunds under the following circumstances:
- Flight cancellation
- A significant change in a flight time that is not acceptable to you
- Flight delay of 5 hours or more
- Failure to stop at your destination or stopover
- Missed connecting flight due to our fault or pursuant to these conditions
- Refusal to carry you due to a banning notice or other reasons as mentioned in these conditions.
- Voluntary Fare Refunds – British Airways offers refunds under the following circumstances:
- If no part of the ticket has been used, the refund will be equal to the fare minus the British Airways cancellation fee.
- If part of the ticket has been used, the refund will be the difference between the fare minus the airline’s cancellation penalty.
- Refunds for Lost Tickets – If you lose your ticket, the airline will issue a refund upon satisfactory proof of the loss and payment of an administration fee, provided that:
- The lost ticket must be unused, used, and refundable.
- The recipient of the refund agrees to reimburse us if fraud is later discovered. The exception to this clause applies where fraud or use by someone else resulted from the airline’s negligence.
- Right to Refuse Refunds – No refund is possible under the following circumstances –
- If you cancel a non-restricted fare
- Passengers requesting British Airways flight cancellation after the ticket validity period has ended.
- if you presented your ticket as evidence of your intention to leave the country upon arrival.
- Currency and the method of payment – Refunds will be issued in the same currency and method of payment used for the ticket. For instance, if the ticket was purchased in USD s using a credit card, the refund will be processed in USD to the same credit card account.
- COVID Refund – Airlines understand that people need to cancel tickets during a pandemic. British Airways is one of them that offers refunds along with cancellations. So, if you need to cancel your flight due to a COVID-19 outbreak or a positive test result, you can expect a refund. To request a refund under the COVID refund policy, you can call the airline.
- Flexible Tickets – A refund is obtained easily without any cancellation fees.
- How to Request a Refund from British Airways – This airline suggests that when you wish to apply for a refund, first ensure that your booking is assuredly canceled. As you obtain the confirmation for this, you can contact the airline. A request for the same is to be placed via the Contact Us page of the carrier. On this page on its site, you can find several ways to connect with the British.
- Of all, it is preferable to dial BA customer service. For both personal and professional aid, the airline shall employ its representative for the task. On the Contact Us page, you can also find ways to ask for a refund through social media.
Note: For those who hold any membership with the carrier, special contact numbers may be available. As you head to its website, you can have access to these. There are chances of getting quick responses and aid with such numbers.
How much are the British Airways Cancellation Fees?
Passengers who do not meet the eligibility criteria for free flight cancellation or changes, may not be entitled to a refund. There could be an additional service fee that needs to be paid. The specific amount of the British Airways cancellation fee can be calculated on the British Airways website. Generally, the standard service fee for cancellations varies between 10 and 25 USD per passenger per flight segment.
The British Airways cancellation policy is simple and easy to understand. The airline’s years of experience in the aviation sector have enabled it to develop the policy to be highly customer-centric. Its cancellation and refund policies are, therefore, made at the convenience of the customers.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
A customer is at first required to cancel the flight ticket booking. Once he/she receives a cancellation confirmation, the customer can then place a refund claim by filling up a form provided on the website.
Passengers can request the flight cancellation online as well as through customer service.
Yes, as per the British Airways refund policy, refunds are offered to customers. However, the amount is absolutely based on the terms and conditions of the cancelation and refund policy.
Customers may cancel a ticket within 24 hours of booking without incurring any cancellation charges. However, the tickets that are canceled after 24 hours of booking are subject to a cancellation fee.
In case a flight gets canceled by the British, the company will offer reimbursement or compensation to a passenger. Also, compensation is made when the replaced flight schedule is delayed for more than 2 hours.
The tickets are refundable depending on their terms and conditions. The tickets can be of two types: refundable and non-refundable. Refundable tickets can either be wholly or partly refunded, depending upon the time and mode of booking. A ticket is fully refundable if you go for BA 24-hour cancellation.
Yes, any flight ticket of the airline that is reserved and canceled within 24 hours of its booking can assure you a full refund. On canceling a ticket, the passenger will receive a confirmation as well.
The BA flight cancellation policy comprises certain guidelines or rules. These ticket cancellation rules are to be abided by for reversing your flights. The guidelines can vary as per the ticket purchased.
The airline can cancel flights when it is not safe to fly. This can occur due to unlikely weather, the risk of any natural calamities, aircraft issues, etc. You can be notified when cancellations are made by BA.
Usually, refunds can take time to be credited to your account upon flight cancellation. Should you still not be satisfied or have other related issues, please connect with the team of the airline.
British Airways offers Flexible Ticket fare that allows flight cancellation for free. The ticket tends to be on the higher side.
Visit the British Airways website. Go to the Manage My Booking section. Follow the on-screen instructions to submit your refund request.
To cancel a British Airways flight within 24 hours of booking without any penalty, you can follow the same cancellation process mentioned in the above question.