We all know how stressful sometimes a flight cancellation could be. However, Cathay Pacific cancellation policy makes it easy for you with its passenger-friendly clauses and other benefits. Cancellation occurs for many reasons. The latest being the Coronavirus scare that is forcing people to cancel their pre-planned trip. Or, the recent closure of Cathay Pacific Vancouver base, which led to several flight cancellations originating to and from Canada.
There are two ways to cancel a Cathay Pacific flight: voluntary and involuntary. Any cancellation initiated by the passengers is said to be voluntary while if Cathay Pacific cancels the ticket then it is counted as an involuntary cancellation.
If you are experiencing any issue related to Cathay Pacific Cancellation or you’re unaware of how to cancel Cathay Pacific booking, then this post is very useful for you. In addition, you will get all your answers on what you can do to avoid airline penalties while cancelling your flight or what your compensation would be during airline delays and other situations.
What is a Cathay Pacific Cancellation Fee?
Cathay Pacific cancellation fee always remains 150 USD, irrespective of the type of the ticket. If passengers have opted for a refundable fare, after the deduction of 150 USD as cancellation charges for Cathay Pacific, the remaining fare balance is refunded. Cathay Pacific flight cancellation fee does not apply to non-refundable fares as the whole ticket amount would be forfeited. Thus, travellers are not entitled to any refund.
Highlights of Cathay Pacific Cancellation Policy Under 24 hours
Cathay Pacific 24 hour cancellation policy applies to all the refundable and non-refundable fares promoted by Cathay Pacific. In addition :
- To be eligible for a full refund, the cancellation has to be initiated within 24 hours from the date of booking.
- Also, the travel date has to be 7 or more days from the date of booking.
- Cathay Pacific 24 hour cancellation is only eligible for the flight originating to and from the U.S and Canada.
- Any cancellation refund to be processed, as per Cathay Pacific 24 hour cancellation policy, in 7-10 business days in the original model of payment.
- Cathay Pacific cancel within 24 hours policy does not apply to any partner or codeshare agreement flight unless the 16 digit e-ticket number generated by partners start with 160.
Changes, Cancellations, and Refunds on Cathay Pacific
The Cathay Pacific ticket cancellation policy is subjected to the following terms and conditions :
- If the airline informs you at least 14 days before the scheduled departure, then you are not entitled to get any compensation. In such cases, you can prefer to take a full refund or reschedule a flight to the next day.
- In case you have been marked as a no-show on a flight, you are not entitled to get any refund. But you can re-issue your ticket to a new date and destination. The ticket cost would be converted into a travel credit. Upon redemption, the Cathay Pacific ticket cancellation fee of 150 USD will be applied along with a no-show fee of 50 USD. The validity of the travel voucher is two years from the date of cancellation.
- As per Cathay Pacific cancellation rules, all fares types, irrespective of the class of service, are eligible for changes as well as cancellations.
Cathay Pacific Flight Cancellation Compensation
Many passengers are not aware of their right to compensation for any unsatisfactory services offered by an airline. Usually, Airlines’ have many excuses to avoid paying any compensation to their passengers due to severe weather, employee strikes or any other issues. In such cases, passengers must know the nitty-gritty behind the compensation and what they can do above their ticket cost. Therefore, we did comprehensive research to help you with the Cathay Pacific flight cancellation compensation. It goes like this:
Delayed flights – Any passenger who booked a flight with the Cathay Pacific is entitled to get compensation if the flight is delayed for 3 or more hours. Such as :
- 275 USD compensation if the trip distance is 1500 KM or more
- 450 USD compensation if the trip distance ranges between 1500-3500 KM
- 675 USD compensation if the trip distance is 3500 KM or more
If the flight delay occurs for 6 or more hours, then passengers can choose to abandon their trip, as per Cathay Pacific cancellation policy.
Cancelled flights – If Cathay Pacific cancel flight and passengers were not provided with any information regarding that within 14 days of departure, they are qualified under Cathay Pacific cancel flight refund policy for the whole ticket amount.
Overbooked flights – Cathay Pacific cancellation may occur due to overbooked flights when they sell more tickets than seats available onboard. As a result, passengers are denied boarding. In such cases, the airline would arrange any alternate flight for the affected travellers. If the next available flight is after three hours, then passengers can claim the compensation of 675 USD in case they opt out to travel on the alternate flight in addition to the airfare refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cathay Pacific flight tickets can be cancelled online on their portal. Follow these steps to initiate cancellation:
1. Visit www.cathaypacific.com
2. Go to the ‘Manage Booking’ section on the site for any cancellation or changes.
3. Insert your six-digit airline confirmation number or 16 digit e-ticket number along with the first and the last name of the passenger.
4. Click on the ‘cancel my booking’ button.
5. After initiated the cancellation, a confirmation email would be directed to the travellers along with the receipt of cancellation by Cathay Pacific.
Cathay Pacific flight cancellation refund would be initiated in full, without any penalty, if you prefer to cancel the reservation within 24 hours from the date of purchase. Besides that, a refund would be initiated without any penalty under the following circumstances :
If your reservation status is overbooked.
Death of the passenger.
If there is a delay in Cathay Pacific flight for 6 or more hours
If Cathay Pacific flight is cancelled at the last minute, take note of the following tips that can help you claim the compensation.
1. Do not trash your boarding pass and travel-related documents.
2. Always seek a written confirmation with the airline citing the reason behind it.
3. Always stay at the departure gate until you hear from the airline about compensation, refunds and next available flight.
4. Upon last-minute cancellation, always check the last-minute deals, there are chances that you may get a cheaper flight.
If you have any other queries related to Cathay Pacific cancellation policy, feel free to reach us on our 24*7 support desk. You can also chat with our travel experts. Our job is not only to guide you but if you are struggling to book or cancel your reservation online, we will help you with that as well. Our travel resolution specialists always take pleasure in managing your reservation in an efficient manner so that you can add a style to your travel. Bon Voyage!