Icelandair check-in process offers a seamless and hassle-free travel experience. Whether you’re embarking on an international destination within Iceland, understanding the intricacies of the check-in can help you fly efficiently and conveniently.
How can you check in for Icelandair flights?
You can do Icelandair check in through the following methods –
- Online check-in
- Mobile app check-in
- Check-in at the airport counter
- Self-service kiosk check-in
What is Icelandair online check in?
Iceland Air check in online is the most convenient method that allows passengers to complete the check-in via the Internet and access the boarding pass in their inbox.
Icelandair online check in is available for all flights, with the exception of Aberdeen and Belfast.
Here’s when you can check-in online –
|Check-in Time for Europe/Canada (Before Departure)||From 36 hours up to 60 minutes before departure.|
|Check-in Time for US (Before Departure)||24 hours up to 60 minutes before departure.|
Iceland Air web check in process
Here are the steps to perform Iceland Air web check in –
- Go to the official Icelandair website.
- Look for the “Check-In” on the homepage. Click on to begin the Icelandair check-in process.
- Enter the Last name and the Booking reference in the required field and hit the check-in button.
- The website will display your current itinerary. Choose the flight for which you want to check in.
- You may have the option to select your seats during the Icelandair online check in process.
- Review all the information you’ve entered, including flight details, passenger details, and seat assignments.
- If you have checked baggage, you need to pay online. The payment would be collected at the checkout process.
- After completing this process, the website will generate the Icelandair electronic boarding pass.
How to request Icelandair mobile check-in?
Icelandair flight check in app allows passengers to accomplish the boarding process using their smartphones or tablets. Follow these to complete the check-in through the mobile app
- Download the Icelandair mobile app and launch it.
- Tap on the “Check-In” section within the app.
- Now enter the booking confirmation and your last name as they appear on your reservation.
- The mobile will display the booking confirmation. Now select the flight segments that need to be checked in.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to choose your preferred seats.
- You may get the option to choose the meal. Add any Iceland Air special assistance service, if required.
- If you have the checked baggage, the Iceland Air web check in app has the option for baggage payment.
- The system will generate your Icelandair mobile boarding pass. Save the boarding pass to your mobile device wallet. You can also receive the boarding pass via email.
Can you check in at the airport for Icelandair flights?
Yes, passengers can request Icelandair flight check in at the airport either through the airport counter or through the automated (self-service) kiosk. Here are the key points to consider –
- Before heading to the airport, make sure you have all the necessary documentation at hand.
- Keep your 6-character booking number handy.
- For international flights, don’t forget your passport. For domestic flights, have a valid form of government-issued photo ID.
Steps to check in at the airport counter
Follow these steps –
- It is recommended to arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure for international flights, and 2 hours before for flights within Iceland.
- If there’s a queue, join and wait for your turn.
- When you reach the counter, present your identification and travel documents to the airline staff.
- Provide your booking confirmation to the Iceland Air flight representative. This will help the airline’s representative to retrieve your booking.
- The airline’s representative will ask you about the seat preference. If you have the checked baggage, inform the airline’s staff, and they will issue you the baggage tags.
- Once you complete the Icelandair check-in process, the airline staff will provide you with the boarding pass.
Steps for Icelandair self service kiosk check-in
Self-service check-in at the Keflavik airport is located at the departure hall. The steps include –
- Make sure you arrive at the airport 3 hours before flight departure.
- Approach the self-service check-in kiosk and touch the screen to begin the process.
- Now scan your passport or enter your booking number to retrieve your booking.
- The kiosk will retrieve your booking information and display your flight details on the screen.
- Now select your seats, and then meal by following the on-screen instructions.
- If you have checked baggage, the kiosk will guide you through the process of printing bag tags.
- After completing the check-in process, the kiosk will offer the option for Icelandair print boarding pass.
Icelandair Self-Service Kiosk availability
At Keflavik, Billund, and Copenhagen airports, you can find self-service check-in stations for obtaining boarding passes and baggage tags. Below is the overview of all other airports where you find Iceland Air check in kiosks –
- Vancouver (YVR)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Montreal (YUL)
- London Heathrow Airport (LHR), located in Zone C in the check-in area
- Frankfurt (FRA) will be available soon
- Seattle (SEA)
- Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS)
- Denver (DEN)
- Edmonton (YEG)
- Oslo (OSL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Stockholm Arlanda (ARN)
- Paris (CDG) will be available soon
What is the Icelandair check in time?
Icelandair check in timings vary with the specific airport and the type of flight you’re taking – domestic or international. Below is the overview of the times –
- Arrival for domestic flights – Icelandair check in time for domestic flights is 45 minutes before departure.
- Arrival for Greenland flights – For those planning a trip to Greenland, plan to arrive at least 90 minutes before departure.
- Arrival for international flights – International passengers departing from Keflavík Airport are advised to complete Icelandair check in at the airport 2 hours before departure.
- Departures from Keflavík International Airport – Iceland Air early check-in is available daily at the Reykjavik International Airport from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
What is the policy for Icelandair check-in baggage?
If you have completed the Icelandair online check in and have carry-on baggage, you can proceed directly to the boarding gate.
For those with checked baggage, visit the Icelandair check in at the airport and present your boarding pass.
Please Note – You must adhere to the Icelandair baggage policy for a hassle-free journey.
Transitional checked baggage at Keflavik airport – If you’re flying with Icelandair between North America and Europe via Keflavík, you don’t need to collect your baggage, provided-
- Your reservation is a single booking.
- You’ve checked in your bags to your final destination.
- Your stopover in Iceland is scheduled to be less than 12 hours.
Arriving from an international destination – If your itinerary includes flying with Icelandair from an international destination to Keflavik, and then taking a connecting flight within Iceland while you have to change airport, here’s what to expect –
- You will need to pick up your bags at Keflavík Airport.
- You’ll then need to transfer your luggage to Reykjavík Airport, which is approximately 50 km (31 miles) away.
How to get Icelandair boarding pass?
Here are the following ways that help you access boarding pass for Icelandair flights –
Online – When you check in online with Icelandair, you have options for receiving Icelandair mobile boarding pass or the electronic version. You can access a boarding pass via SMS or as an email.
Print – If you prefer a hard copy, you can easily download and print your boarding pass from your desktop.
Apple or any other digital wallet – IPhone users can add the Icelandair mobile boarding pass to their Apple wallet. To add or save your mobile boarding pass, follow these steps –
- Open the link provided in the email confirmation after you complete the check-in.
- Your boarding passes will be saved automatically to your Apple Wallet.
Please Note: You can still opt for Icelandair flight change, even after you have issued the boarding pass.
From online and mobile check-in options to choosing how you’d like to receive your boarding pass, Icelandair provides travelers with convenient options that help them streamline the journey. By following the aforementioned step-by-step instructions, you can travel with ease and confidence.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
For flights to Europe and Canada, check-in duration is 36 hours and 1 hour before departure, and for other flights, check-in starts 24 hours before departure up until 1 hour before.
You can also request Icelandair check in at the airport or visit the Icelandair website or mobile app for online check-in and receive your eBoarding Pass
Icelandair online check-in opens 36 hours before departure for all domestic and international routes. For flights to/from the US, the check-in opens 24 hours prior to departure.
Yes. Online check-in is the most convenient option that helps you issue the boarding pass via SMS or email.
No, it is not mandatory but Icelandair online check in is highly recommended to avoid the peak rush or long queue at the airport.
The early check-in is not at all mandatory. But you can still check in early to overcome the potential issues well before your flight.
There are no specific rules, locate the Icelandair check-in counters at the airport. Present your passport to the airline’s staff, obtain your boarding pass and complete the check-in process
The best way to get a boarding pass from Icelandair is through online check-in or mobile check-in. You can choose to receive your eBoarding Pass via SMS, email, or save it to your mobile device.