Icelandair unaccompanied minor policy helps children travel in a safe and comfortable manner as the cabin crew welcome the child on board.
The airline handles the child’s travel sensibly and in a deliberate manner as the cabin crew will look after the child through the flight.
When it comes to seating your child traveling with Icelandair would be seated near the back of the plane as an extra safety measure so that the crew is always easily accessible.
In this post, we will help parents/guardians with all the important information and guidelines related to unaccompanied minor travel. Not just that, we have covered how you can book the flights, fee associated with the service, and more.
- Unaccompanied Minor Policy for Domestic and International Travel
- Booking a Flight for Unaccompanied Minor with IcelandAir
- Guidelines Under Icelandair Unaccompanied Minor Travel
- Important Information for Parents of Unaccompanied Minors
- Fee for Unaccompanied Minor Service with Icelandair
- FAQs Related to Icelandair Minor Policy
Unaccompanied Minor Policy for Domestic and International Travel
The Icelandair unaccompanied minor policy is available now for international travel. Any child between 5 and 11 years of age who is not accompanied by a traveler older than 12 years old, can avail for the unaccompanied travel and is subject to a fee.
For travelers between the ages of 12 and 15, unaccompanied minor service can be provided if required. The same restrictions and charges are in effect as for passengers using the Icelandair unaccompanied minor service.
For domestic travel, the unaccompanied minor service is not available for children above 11 years of age. The unaccompanied minor travel is only permitted for the children aged between 5 and 11 years.
Booking a Flight for Unaccompanied Minor with IcelandAir
Under the Icelandair minor policy, international travel cannot be booked online. For flights within Iceland, passengers can book the unaccompanied minor travel online as well as through the airline’s customer service.
Booking a flight within Iceland
You can reserve a domestic flight for an unaccompanied minor online or over the phone. For domestic tickets, the service fee for unaccompanied minors is already included in the flight ticket. While booking a flight for child who is traveling alone, all you need need to do is –
- You need to select the child, and select 0 for adult passengers on the booking platform.
- Pick number of unaccompanied minor for the required trip.(maximum four unaccompanied minors on each flight is allowed)
- Fill out all required fields.
- When checking in at the airport, keep in mind that the child would be assigned a seat number.
Booking an international flight
Booking a flight for minors who are traveling alone can be done by contacting the airline’s customer service agents. Parents/guardians of the unaccompanied minors need to complete the booking up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
It is not possible to book an unaccompanied minor’s flight through the airline’s website. When parents/guardians book the flight for minors, they need to provide the contact details and address of the person who would be dropping off and picking up the child.
In addition –
- Icelandair minor service allows a maximum of 4 unaccompanied minors carried on each flight.
- The airline only accepts unaccompanied minors on Icelandair operated flights. The codeshare/interline connections with other airlines are not permitted to travel for unaccompanied minors.
- The airline offers priority boarding to the unaccompanied minors.
- The Icelandair unaccompanied travel cannot be booked if the connecting time in Iceland is more than 3 hours.
- Parents/guardians must fill out the form and print 4 copies. The form along with the minor’s identification must be submitted during the Icelandair check-in process at the airport.
Guidelines Under Icelandair Unaccompanied Minor Travel
Unaccompanied Minors must be accompanied by an adult guardian who must help them check in and provide photo identification, contact information, and proof of the child’s relationship.
Until the plane takes off, the responsible guardian must stay at the airport. It is mandatory to stay at the airport for at least 15 minutes under the guidelines of Icelandair unaccompanied minor policy. In addition –
- Upon arrival at the destination airport, the airline staff will verify the identity of the guardian who would be picking up the child.
- The Unaccompanied Minor’s travel documents must be stored in a special Icelandair wallet. The wallet needs to be worn by the child throughout the trip.
- Icelandair unaccompanied minor travel needs to confirmed at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
- At the time of check-in, an unaccompanied minor needs to submit four copies of the unaccompanied minor form.
- Unaccompanied minors ages between 2 and 11 receive a complimentary kid meal and the beverages on board.
- Additionally, the child traveling alone is welcome to bring food with them.
Important Information for Parents of Unaccompanied Minors
Parents/guardians who are booking a flight for their unaccompanied minor must keep in considerations the following information –
- Any allergies that unaccompanied kids may have must be disclosed to airlines.
- Any notification/information regarding the flight delay or disruption would be sent to the phone number and email address registered at the time of booking.
- The only purpose for which the guardians’ information is used is to safeguard unaccompanied minors.
- On board, a flight attendant would be in charge of looking after children ages 5 to 11 years.
- Guardians are given paperwork to fill with the contact details for unaccompanied minors when they check in.
- After a flight, the registered guardian who would be greeting the child at the airport must provide identification at the terminal before picking up.
Fee for Unaccompanied Minor Service with Icelandair
Under the Icelandair unaccompanied minor policy, the fee is non-refundable if the fare rules do not permit.
For instance, if you cancel a non refundable fare, the Icelandair unaccompanied minor fee cannot be refunded under any circumstance. But if you cancel a fare like Economy Flex, the fee is refundable.
Please note – Only one fee is charged if up to 2 minors are traveling together on the same reservation.
Below is the overview of the Icelandair unaccompanied minors fee for the following international route –
|Travel routes||Between Iceland and Europe||Between Iceland and United States/Canada||Between Europe and United States/Canada|
|Unaccompanied minor fee (in USD)||85||150||250|
Icelandair cares for its customers and so, it is one of the airlines that has put in place a dedicated policy for unaccompanied minors. It knows the importance of ensuring that the child is comfortable and safe at all times. You do not have to worry about anything because Icelandair takes care of everything.
FAQs Related to Icelandair Minor Policy
Yes, as long as there is a nonstop flight, unaccompanied minors are allowed to travel to any of our overseas locations.
When you arrive at the airport, you need to head to the Icelandair check-in counter. For unaccompanied minors, the online, mobile and kiosk check-in is not available.
No, the Icelandair will accompany your child to the security and the boarding gate area.
Yes, unaccompanied minor reservations can be made through third-party provided that the flight must be operated by Icelandair. The travel agency needs to contact Icelandair so that the airline can add the required travel information to the child’s reservation.