Ethiopian Airlines, a renowned carrier with a rich history, has its own set of rules for altering passenger names on tickets. Let’s dive into the details and uncover how you can make the most of Ethiopian Airlines name change policy.
What are the acceptable circumstances for Ethiopian Airlines name change?
If you’ve encountered an error in the name on your booking or if your name has been legally changed since making the reservation, here are the acceptable situations where airlines allow name correction/changes.
- Reservation was made using a spouse’s family name instead of the maiden name, or vice versa.
- When a passenger possesses more than one given name the reservation only reflects the first name.
- Amendments within the same family (e.g., Mr. X to Mrs. X) are permitted.
What changes are accepted?
You can fix the following discrepancies as per Ethiopian Airlines name correction policy
- Transposition errors in the first name, last name, and middle name.
- Changes of up to 3 letters in the names.
- Adjustment of customer titles (e.g., Mr. to Mrs./Ms.).
Reservations that are not accepted
As per Ethiopian Airlines name change policy, the following reservation is not entitled to any name correction –
- Codeshare agreement flight where flight is operated by other than Ethiopian Airlines.
- Passengers traveling under Ethiopian Airlines unaccompanied minor service.
- Passengers who are traveling under Ethiopian Airlines pet travel guidelines and have a confirmed reservation are not permitted to request a name change.
- The airline might not allow changes if your ticket falls under a non-refundable or non-changeable fare class.
Transferring tickets to another name – Ethiopian Airlines generally does not allow the transfer of tickets between passengers.
How to request an Ethiopian Airlines name change on a ticket?
If the name on your reservation doesn’t match your identification documents due to a typo or a legal name change, follow these steps –
- Reach out to Ethiopian Airlines through their customer service. You can call them at one of the following numbers –
|United States, California||+1 909 328 612|
|United States, Florida||+1 352 436 190|
|United States, Oregon||+1 458 204 1425|
- Explain the situation and provide your booking reference number.
- Depending on the circumstances, you might need to provide documentation to support your name change request.
- Make sure you initiate the name change well in advance of your flight.
- The airlines often have specific deadlines for name change requests. Passengers need to complete the request up to 24 hours before scheduled departure.
- Pay the required Ethiopian Airlines name change fee. A fare difference may apply depending on the circumstance where the airline will reissue the flight ticket in a similar or higher class of service.
- Once the name change is processed, you should receive confirmation.
Documents required for name change
Here are the documents that might be required while requesting Ethiopian Airlines name correction or name changes –
- Copy of marriage certificate – If your reservation was booked using your spouse’s family name instead of your maiden name, or vice versa, a copy of your marriage certificate is required.
- Passport copy – If you have legally changed your name after making the reservation, a copy of your updated passport or any other legal document is required as supporting documentation.
- Legal name change document – A court order, and a copy of the legal document confirming the name change are necessary.
- Identification documents – A valid government-issued identification document, such as a driver’s license or national ID card, might be requested for validation.
- Reservation details – Providing your reservation confirmation number, booking reference, and travel details help the airline locate your booking.
- Request form – You are required to complete the Ethiopian Airlines name change request form. This form gathers essential details about your reservation and the requested name change.
- Service fee payment – In some cases, a name change fee is applicable for processing name change requests.
What is the name format for Ethiopian Airlines tickets?
Here’s a general guideline for the required Ethiopian Airlines name format –
- First name – Enter your first name as it appears on your government-issued identification document (e.g., passport). Use your full first name without abbreviations or nicknames.
- Middle name – Include your middle name if it appears on your identification. If your identification doesn’t have a middle name, you can omit it.
- Last name – Enter your last name or surname exactly as it appears on your identification. If you have multiple last names, use all of them if they are on your identification or passport.
- Titles, suffixes, and prefixes – Avoid using labels like “Mr.”, “Mrs.”, “Dr.,” or suffixes like “Jr.” or “II” on the ticket unless they are part of your legal name and it appears on your identification.
What is the Ethiopian Airlines name change fee?
The Ethiopian Airlines change name on the ticket is subject to a fee of 50 USD per passenger. This amount must be accompanied by the valid documents required for name change such as a marriage certificate or passport.
Ethiopian Airlines only allows name correction under specific circumstances and fare difference would be applicable too.
The Ethiopian Airlines name change is designed to provide convenience to travelers who need to modify their passenger tickets. This policy serves as a helpful reference when uncertainties arise regarding name adjustments due to errors made during ticket booking.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
To change the name on Ethiopian Airlines, you need to contact the airline’s customer service phone number at +1 909 328 612, +1 352 436 190, +1 458 204 1425.
The airline charges for name correction due to operational reasons. Changing a passenger’s name requires updates to booking systems and such a process consumes time.
The airline allows name correction/changes only once per ticket. It’s recommended to contact the airlines in case passengers are required to make changes at multiple instances.
The description or the outline of the name change cost is not mentioned on the Ethiopian Airlines official website. To know the accurate charges, contact the airlines directly.
No, the name on the ticket must be exactly identical to the name that appears on the passport or the government issued photo ID, as per TSA guidelines.
Yes, the airline reserves the right to refuse passengers a name change request. It could be the case where the fare rules of the flight ticket restrict name change.