China Airlines pet policy allows passengers to travel with their pets as China Airlines recognizes the importance of pets to their owners and offers both cabin and cargo options for pet travel, allowing passengers to choose the best-suited option for their pets’ comfort.
What are the China Airlines options for traveling with pets?
Here’s a comprehensive overview of the choices available to the passengers under China Airlines pets travel service –
- In-cabin pet travel – Small pets that meet size and weight restrictions can travel with you in the cabin. You must secure your pet in an appropriate carrier that fits comfortably under the seat in front of you.
- In the baggage hold – Pets that do not meet in-cabin size requirements can travel in the baggage hold. Your pet will be safely transported in a climate-controlled baggage hold.
- As trained service dogs – Passengers with disabilities can travel with trained service dogs. China Airlines pet fee would not be applicable.
China Airlines pet policy general guidelines
We have outlined the following guidelines under China Airlines travel with pet service –
Pre-flight booking – Contact China Airlines pets booking department at least 12 hours prior to your flight departure to confirm the pet travel. Additionally –
- Download two copies of the Passenger’s Declaration for Live Animals (Baggage), one for check-in and another for the pet container.
- Submit one copy of the declaration at the China Airlines check-in counter and affix the other copy to the pet’s container.
Eligiblility – Pet travel on China Airlines is only applicable to flights directly operated by China Airlines and Mandarin Airlines.
Flight restrictions – Pets are not accepted as checked luggage on B738 aircraft.
Flight cancelation – Pet travel fee is non-refundable upon requesting China Airlines flight cancelation within 48 hours before scheduled departure.
Pet carrier – Each flight can check in a maximum of 8 pet containers. Passengers traveling infants and children can check up to 2 pet carriers.
Age restrictions – Bear in mind these restrictions under China Airlines pet policy –
- Newborn dogs and cats under 10 weeks old cannot be transported.
- Pets emitting strong odors are not allowed as checked or cabin baggage.
- Pregnant pets must not be beyond 40 days of pregnancy.
- Pets that have recently given birth cannot travel within 7 days post-birth.
Airport arrival – Arrive at the airport with your pet 2 hours before departure.
What are the guidelines for pet carriers or crates?
China Airlines Pet Policy defines specific guidelines for pet carriers or crates that passengers need to follow, these are –
Material and design – The container should feature these characteristics –
- Single door for pets to enter and exit.
- Adequate ventilation openings on three sides.
- Ample space for pets to stand, lie down, and turn naturally.
Door and security – Choose a container with only one door for streamlined access.
Comfort – Cover the container floor with absorbent material to manage spills and accidents. Place containers of water and food within the pet container to keep your pet nourished and hydrated.
Identification – Affix a “Live Animal” sticker on the exterior to notify the airlines.
Pet container for snub-nosed breeds – To ensure the comfort and safety of snub-nosed breeds during travel, adhere to the following container requirements:
- The container should be one size larger than standard, providing adequate space.
- All sides of the container must have sufficient ventilation.
- During transport, do not place food in the container. Only water is allowed.
China Airlines pet policy container size and weight limitation
While flying under China Airlines pet cargo service, the maximum dimension of the pet carrier must be within –
|External Height of Pet Container||70 CM|
|External Width of Pet Container||90 CM|
China Airlines requirements for Pet containers
Below is the overview of the table that outlines the maximum number of pets allowed per crate based on flight destination, the weight range for pets, and the maximum weight allowed for each pet.
|Destination||Pet per crate||Weight and Age||Maximum Weight|
|Other Destinations||1||less than 14 kg||14 kg per pet|
|10 weeks – 6 months|
|United States/Canada||1||less than 9 kg||9 kg per pet|
|10 weeks – 6 months|
Which pet breeds are restricted on China Airlines flights?
According to China Airlines pet policy, they do not accept the following fighting breeds or mixed breeds for carriage:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Dogo Argentino
- American Bully
- Fila Brasileiro
- Japanese Tosa
- Mastiffs (Neapolitan Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso, Dogue de Bordeaux)
Restricted Snub-nosed breeds as per China Airlines pet policy
Snub-nosed or brachycephalic dog and cat breeds require special approval from the airlines. China Airlines can accept these breeds under the following conditions –
- Total journey of the flight must not exceed 6 hours.
- Aircraft temperature must not exceed 21°C (70°F).
These snub-nosed dog breeds include –
- Boston Terrier
The above mentioned breeds is not the entire list. Here is the complete list of snub-nosed dogs breeds.
Short-nosed cat breeds include –
- British Shorthair
- Scottish Fold
Restriction on Pet Travel under China Airlines pet policy
– According to China Airlines pet policy, they transport pets only within specific regions and months –
- Allowed regions – Taiwan, Northeast Asia, China/Hong Kong
- Allowed months – January, February, March, and December
When to consider pets as checked baggage on China Airlines?
You can consider the pets as checked baggage in accordance with the following key points –
Dimension of the pet carrier – As per China Airlines pet policy, China Airlines pet fee would be applicable for pet containers with dimensions exceeding 292 cm (115in).
- If the total dimensions surpass the limit, a charge of 2 pieces of excess baggage rate will be applied.
- Refer to the China Airlines excess baggage guidelines section for details on applicable charges.
China Airlines baggage charge for pets under 32 kg
Here’s how the fee structure works. The fee mentioned below applies for pets under 32 kg –
- Please note a double rate would be applied if the pet weighs between 32 kg and 45 kg.
- Please note that a triple rate would be applicable if the pet’s weight exceeds 45 kg.
|Between||Taiwan||Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3||Zone 4||Zone 5|
|Taiwan||–||220 USD||320 USD||320 USD||420 USD||420 USD|
|Zone 1||220 USD||220 USD||320 USD||320 USD||420 USD||420 USD|
|Zone 2||320 USD||320 USD||320 USD||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD|
|Zone 3||320 USD||320 USD||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD|
|Zone 4||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD||–||–|
|Zone 5||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD||420 USD||–||–|
China Airlines baggage charges for pets departing from Canada
Following China Airlines pet fee would be applicable for flights departing from Canada –
|Between||Taiwan||Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3||Zone 4||Zone 5|
|Taiwan||–||286 CAD||416 CAD||416 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD|
|Zone 1||286 CAD||286 CAD||416 CAD||416 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD|
|Zone 2||416 CAD||416 CAD||416 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD|
|Zone 3||416 CAD||416 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD||650 CAD||650 CAD|
|Zone 4||546 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD||650 CAD||–||–|
|Zone 5||546 CAD||546 CAD||546 CAD||650 CAD||–||–|
|Zone 1||Japan / Korea / Palau / Guam / Hong Kong / China / Philippines / Thailand / Malaysia / Singapore / Indonesia / Vietnam / Cambodia|
|Zone 2||Myanmar / Australia / New Zealand / India and Asia(excluding Zone 1 / Taiwan)|
|Zone 3||Los Angeles / Ontario / San Francisco / Vancouver / Hawaii / Middle East|
|Zone 4||North America(excluding Zone 3) / Europe / Africa|
|Zone 5||Central & South America|
What are the consideration for flying with service animals?
To qualify for traveling with a service dog in the cabin –
- The dog must be individually trained to perform tasks for the passenger’s benefit.
- Service dogs must be accompanied by passengers with disabilities (hearing or visual impairments).
- It must be well-behaved in public and follow instructions.
Application – Passengers intending to travel with service dogs must contact China Airlines flying pets hotline at least 48 hours before flight departure.
Rules for acceptance – Adhere to the following rules and requirements when traveling with a service dog.
- Only International operating flights accept service dogs.
- The service dog needs to receive a rabies vaccination and be free of pests and diseases.
- The service dog must not be exposed to rabies.
Restraints – The service dog must:
- Be harnessed, leashed, or tethered.
- Fit in the lap of the passenger or or within the foot space on the aircraft.
- Must exhibit a non-disruptive behavior on board and during the flight.
Seating restrictions – Passengers with service dogs cannot sit in exit rows. If the service dog does not fit within the specified space, they may need an additional seat for the dog.
Required documentation – For flights to and from the United States (Including Guam and Hawaii), the required paperwork include:
- USDOT Service Animal Air Transportation Form
- USDOT Service Animal Relief Attestation Form (This is necessary if the flight’s duration exceeds 8 hours or more)
All itineraries except to/from the United States –
Medical and Psychiatric Assistance for Service Dogs
Under this category, service dogs include guide dogs, hearing dogs, or medical assistance dogs.
- These dogs aid individuals with visual, hearing, or other physical disabilities.
- Allowed in the cabin without charge.
- The cargo hold transports these service dogs.
- China Airlines charges an additional pet fee for handling them as checked baggage.
How to book flight with pets on China Airlines?
Follow this step-by-step guide to avail china airline travel with pet service –
- Reach out to China Airlines pets reservation number at least 48 hours before departure.
- Inform them that you would be traveling with a pet.
- You must have a confirmed reservation. The airline’s representative asks you for the 6-digit booking reference or 13-digit ticket number.
- Provide accurate information about your pet, including its size, weight, and breed.
- You may need to complete the paperwork related to the China Airlines pet travel service. Ensure you have all necessary health certificates, vaccinations, and permits required by your destination country.
- Confirm the type of accommodation your pet will have i.e in-cabin or as checked baggage.
- Pay the required fee.
What is the process to check in pets at the airport?
On the day of travel, you must meet the following requirements –
- You must carry the pet in the IATA approved pet carrier that meets the size, weight and safety standards.
- Arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure.
- Proceed to the China Airlines check-in counter and present your pet’s documentation to the airline staff.
- Once you’ve checked in and prepared your pet for travel, proceed through security.
What are the Health and Vaccination documents required for China Airlines?
Here’s a breakdown of the necessary documentation –
- Health certificate is required from a licensed veterinarian.
- Up-to-date pet’s vaccinations that are compliant with both your departure and destination countries’ regulations.
- For international travel, your pet may require an international health certificate issued by an accredited veterinarian
With China Airlines pet policy, you can enjoy your journey with your furry companion. By understanding the guidelines, requirements, and options, you can ensure a comfortable and safe trip for both you and your beloved pet.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
When checking in for your flight, China Airlines staff will typically weigh your pet and their carrier together. This combined weight must not exceed 15kg.
Yes, China Airlines does allow small dogs and cats to travel, but specific policies and regulations may apply.
Yes, the airline does permit pets to fly internationally, subject to the China Airlines international pet policy.
The cost of pet transportation with China Airlines can vary based on factors such as the size of the pet, the travel destination, and whether the pet is traveling in-cabin, as checked baggage, or as cargo.
The airline accepts a maximum pet weight of 9 kg for travel to/from the United States and Canada. For all other travel destinations, the pet size must not exceed 14 kg.