Here, we delve into KLM Pet Policy, aiming to provide you with all the essential information you need to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey with your pet.
From the types of animals permitted on board to the necessary documentation and guidelines, we’ll help you navigate through the policies and procedures set forth by KLM, enabling you to make informed decisions and plan your travels accordingly.
Are pets allowed to fly in the cabin with KLM Airlines?
As per the KLM pet policy, passengers can bring 1 cat or dog in the cabin when flying in Economy Class, or traveling in Business Class within Europe. In addition –
|Pet Travel Carrier||Maximum size: 46 x 28 x 24 cm (L x W x H)|
|Maximum Weight of Travel Bag or Kennel (with pet inside)||8 kg|
|Restriction||Pet must fit comfortably within the kennel; removal during the journey is not allowed|
|Pets allowed||Small cat or dog in the Economy Class cabin|
|Pet Policy in Premium Comfort and Business Class||Pets are not allowed|
|Check-in||You must arrive at the KLM check-in counter at least 3 hours prior to departure|
|Reservation deadline||You must complete the pet booking up to 24 hours before scheduled departure|
How to book – As soon as you book your flight, make a reservation for your pet to fly in the cabin. You may do so through the My Trips tab. Follow these steps –
- Access the airline’s website and navigate to the “My Trips” tab.
- Log in to your account using the provided credentials. If you don’t have an account, create one by providing the necessary information.
- Locate your booked flight under the “My Trips” section. This will typically involve entering your reservation or confirmation number.
- Look for the option to add a pet reservation. It may be labeled as “Add Pet” or something similar. Click on it to proceed.
- Provide the required information about your pet, such as their breed, size, and name. Make sure to enter accurate details to ensure a smooth experience.
- Review and confirm the details of your pet reservation, including any applicable fees or requirements.
Documents Required – The following documents are commonly required –
- A valid health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian
- Proof of up-to-date vaccinations, including rabies vaccination
- Some countries may require a pet passport
- Import or export permits may be necessary
Pet Travel Fee – The fee information for bringing your cat or dog to the cabin is not mentioned anywhere on the airline’s website. Please the KLM airlines directly for more information.
Pet Carrier requirements – KLM Airlines pet carrier must meet the following requirements –
- It is important that your pet can move comfortably within the carrier or kennel, allowing them to sit, stand, turn around, and lie down without any restrictions.
- The total weight of your pet, including the carrier, should not exceed 18 pounds or 8 kg.
- During the flight, your pet must remain inside the kennel and be placed under the front seat.
- Please note that passengers accompanied by pets are not permitted to occupy exit row seat
Are pets allowed to fly in the hold with KLM Airlines?
As per the KLM pet travel policy, you can bring up to 3 pets in the hold per itinerary. Pets traveling together may share the same carrier provided that the combined weight of the pet and carrier must not exceed 14 kg. In addition –
|Minimum Age and Same Breed||Pets must be at least 15 weeks old|
|Pet Allowed||Up to 3 pets in the hold. You can bring|
2 adult animals of the same size
3 animals up to 6 months old from the same breed
|Restricted aircraft||Pets are not permitted on Boeing 787-9 or 787-10 aircraft.|
|Weight limit||Up to 3 pets in the hold. You can bring|
2 adult animals of same size
3 animals up to 6 months old from the same breed
|Restrictions||Pets are not allowed if you have a flight connection of 3 hours or more|
|Combined Weight of Pet and Kennel||Total weight must be within 75 kg (pet + kennel)|
|Flight connection in Paris||You need a flight connection of at least 4.5 hours at Charles DeGaulle Airport to be allowed onto the next flight|
|Pet Carrier Dimensions for KLM Airlines||Maximum dimensions: 122 x 81 x 89 cm (L x W x H)|
|Pet Carrier Dimensions for KLM Cityhopper (Embraer)||Maximum dimensions: 102 x 69 x 76 cm (L x W x H) – Applicable on Embraer aircraft|
KLM pet carrier requirement – The pet kennel for in-hold reservations must meet certain requirements:
- The kennel should provide enough room for the pet to comfortably turn around, lie down, and stand up without its head hitting the roof.
- The exterior of the kennel must be made of durable materials such as strong plastic or fiberglass.
- The kennel’s wheels should be either removed or securely taped over to prevent any movement or rolling during transportation.
- A centralized locking mechanism is necessary to fasten the locks on both the top and bottom of the door. The horizontal extrusions positioned above and below the door opening should be at least 1.6 cm away from the hinge and locking pins.
- The kennel must be rigid enough to prevent the pet from escaping through any openings in the seams or joints.
- Either two empty bowls or a single bowl with two separate sections for food and drink should be provided inside the kennel. These bowls must be easily fillable from the outside and sealed or linked to the kennel.
- The bottom of the kennel should be covered with a suitable material like a blanket, newspaper, or another absorbent substance to manage any spills or accidents.
How to book – To book a reservation for pets flying with KLM Airlines in the hold, you can follow these steps –
- Reach out to KLM Airlines directly through their customer service channel to make a reservation.
- Verify with the airline if there is space available for pets in the cabin on your desired flight.
- Provide the necessary information about your pet, including its size, weight, breed, and any required documentation.
- Be prepared to pay any applicable KLM checked baggage fees associated with traveling with pets in the hold.
- KLM Airlines may charge a pet transportation fee, which can vary depending on the route and the size of the pet.
- Double-check the reservation details provided by the airline representative, including flight dates, times, and any specific instructions related to traveling with your pet.
- Arrive 3 hours early on the day of departure and bring your pet to the KLM flight check-in counter.
Pet Travel Restriction – According to KLM pet policy, the following restrictions would be applicable –
- Restrictions apply if the combined weight of the pet and kennel exceeds 75 kg
- If the size of the pet carrier exceeds 122 x 81 x 89 cm.
- Additionally, if your pet is traveling on a different flight or if the destination country only permits animal shipment as cargo, you must use KLM’s pet cargo services.
Travel Documents for Pet Travel with KLM Airlines – As per the KLM pet policy, it is necessary to have the pet’s passport or health certificate in English. In addition –
- It is advisable to attach copies of these documents to the kennel while keeping the original documents with you during check-in.
- A health certificate with a blood test may be required if you are traveling from a country categorized as high risk for dog rabies.
- The kennel should have a tag with the passenger’s name (on KLM airlines), address, and phone number, and a label displaying the animal’s name must be affixed to the side of the kennel.
Pet Travel Fee – To travel with your cat or dog, there is a fee associated with it, ranging from EUR 75 to EUR 400 per one-way trip.
Restricted breeds – The restricted breeds include
Cat breed – Persian, Burmese, Himalayan, and Exotic Shorthair cats are not permitted in the hold.
Dog breed – Affenpinscher, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Bulldog, Brussels Griffon, Cane Corso, Chow Chow, Great Dane, Lhasa Apso, Mastiff, Pekingese, Small Brabant, Pug, Shar-Pei, Shih Tzu, Japanese Spaniel, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier are among the breeds that are prohibited to travel with KLM.
What are the guidelines for traveling with a trained service dog on KLM Airlines?
As per KLM Airlines pet policy, the following conditions may apply –
|Pets Allowed||Trained service dogs only|
|Requirement||Dogs must have undergone qualified training and hold a valid certificate.|
|Pet fee||Your service dog can accompany you in the cabin free of charge.|
|How to book||online booking process or contact KLM directly|
|Reservation Timeline||Complete the application form and submit it to KLM CARES with a minimum of 48 hours prior to departure.|
|Required paperwork||Include a copy of the pet’s passport stating breed, weight, and size.|
|Age limit||Pets must be at least 8 weeks old|
|Restricted breeds||The airline do not service animals other than dogs|
Behavior in Public Spaces – Passengers traveling with trained service dogs must meet the following requirements –
- Trained service dogs are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior in public places.
- KLM flight representative agents may request additional information to verify that your dog is trained.
During the flight – For safety reasons, your service dog should –
- Not obstruct aisles
- Not occupy emergency exit seats. (Passengers traveling with trained service animals are required to choose any other seat).
- Dogs should wear a (car) harness and be tied to your seatbelt.
- If your dog’s size prevents them from fitting in the reserved seat, an alternative seat in the same travel class will be provided.
Please note – In case of limited accommodation options, you may be asked to take a later flight or have your service dog travel in the hold with an appropriate kennel.
Flight duration of 8 hours or more – For flights lasting 8 hours or more, additional documentation may be required to ensure that your service dog will not create health or sanitation issues onboard.
Flying to or from the US – In addition to the application form, please complete the U.S. Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation Form. Remember to print and bring both forms at the time of check-in.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
As per the KLM pet policy, snub-nosed breeds are not allowed to travel in the cabin as well as in the hold.
Yes, the KLM pet travel service only allows domesticated cats and dogs to travel on board, provided that the passengers who are accompanying the pet must be on the same flight.
KLM welcomes pets and provides pet shipping for a variety of cats and dogs. There are limitations with some taller breeds of dogs because the KLM airlines won’t ship pets who need travel kennels beyond the height of 33 inches.
No, KLM does not allow emotional support animals in the hold as well as in the cabin. But passengers can transport the emotional support pet through KLM pet cargo service.