Is your child travelling alone? This is very exciting for them. The KLM unaccompanied minor policy guarantees the child’s comfort, safety and reliable assistance at the airport as well as on board.
Check out how as a parent/legal guardian you can arrange the travel for your child, and how the unaccompanied minor service works.
Not just that we have also covered the rules associated with the unaccompanied minor program, the documents required by the minors at the time of check-in, the details on the service fee, and more.
- Unaccompanied Minor Service offered by the KLM Airlines
- Guidelines associated with the unaccompanied minor program by KLM
- Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors at the time of departure
- Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors during the trip
- Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors upon arrival
- How to book travel for unaccompanied minors with KLM?
- Booking unaccompanied minor flight online
- Booking an unaccompanied minor flight through other methods
- Documents required for unaccompanied minors flying with KLM
- KLM service fees for unaccompanied minors
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – KLM Minor Policy
Unaccompanied Minor Service offered by the KLM Airlines
Kids when travelling alone, the KLm will make every effort to make sure your child is as comfortable as possible. The airline’s staff will look after them during the flight, ensure they board the right aircraft, and provide assistance if there are any delays or other problems.
Only direct flights are eligible for the unaccompanied minor service offered by KLM. Only flights operated by KLM, Air France, and Delta Airlines permit travel for kids flying alone.
Mandatory for children between 5 and 14 years old – Are you taking a child who is between the ages of 5 and 14 without an adult who is at least 18 years old ? Or is your child travelling in a different class than the adult who is joining them? Please be aware that in addition to the ordinary ticket, you must always purchase the KLM Unaccompanied Minor service.
Options for passengers between 15 and 17 – The Unaccompanied Minor service is not required for children between the ages of 15 and 17 years old. If you decide not to sign up for the service, your child will be treated as an adult passenger.
If your child informs the KLM personnel of their age and their need for assistance in the event of a flight delay or cancellation, we will be pleased to provide support. To ensure diligent attention and care in the event of a flight delay, be sure to reserve the KLM Airlines Unaccompanied Minor program.
Guidelines associated with the unaccompanied minor program by KLM
As per the KLM unaccompanied minor policy, children ages between 5 and 14 must travel mandatorily under the unaccompanied minor service. In addition –
- The KLM airline looks after the minor frequently on board.
- Unaccompanied minor fee is non-refundable.
- If parents/legal guardians cancel the flight for unaccompanied minors, they can choose to rebook.
- While booking the flight, the flight purchase represents that they are either the parents or legal guardians of the minor child.
- All the required information at the time of booking must be accurate in order to facilitate the travel for the unaccompanied minors.
- At the time of check-in, the proof of age must be required. It must be produced in the form of a birth certificate or passport.
- Parents/guardians who would be dropping off and picking up the child must resent a valid government issued photo ID.
- KLM airlines provides the unaccompanied minors travel on the direct flights only.
- Parents and guardians need to escort the child to the departure gate 45 minute before the scheduled departure. They remain in the airport until the flight is taken off.
Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors at the time of departure
As per the KLM unaccompanied minor policy, bring your child to the airport check-in desk at least 2.5 hours before the scheduled departure. In addition –
- Bring a legitimate form of identification for yourself and your child. You must also have 4 completed, signed, and printed copies of the form that specifies the individuals who will be dropping off and picking up your child.
- You can either download and print the PDF version of the form or print the completed version directly from My Trip.
Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors during the trip
The KLM crew member will walk your child to their seat in the aeroplane before takeoff. Our flight attendants will keep a close check on your child the entire time. If they have a lengthy layover, the kids will get complimentary access to the special lounge.
Guidelines applicable for unaccompanied minors upon arrival
Upon arrival, the KLM personnel will escort the child to the arrivals area to meet the person who has been designated to pick them up. They must present a valid photo ID that matches with the details on the unaccompanied minor application.
How to book travel for unaccompanied minors with KLM?
Only the KLM Customer Contact Centre can book a flight ticket with the required Unaccompanied Minor service. Do you wish to purchase a ticket with the unaccompanied minor service option? If the flights are operated by KLM, you can also purchase through the airline’s website. Make sure to make travel arrangements at least 24 hours in advance of departure. You can book the unaccompanied minor travel in two ways –
Booking unaccompanied minor flight online
Here’s how you can book the travel for unaccompanied minors through the airline’s website –
- Visit klm.com and select the advanced search option.
- Change the number of adults to 0 from the default setting of 1.
- Select the number of children that are travelling as unaccompanied minors
- Book the flight, and at the checkout pay the KLM unaccompanied minor fee with the airfare.
- After you complete the booking, you will be asked to fill the KLM minor travelling alone form.
- Take the attested form to the airport counter to complete the check-in process of KLM Airlines.
Booking an unaccompanied minor flight through other methods
Documents required for unaccompanied minors flying with KLM
When you arrive at the airport, head to the KLM check-in counter to complete the boarding process. The unaccompanied minor will receive a batch to wear in-flight. The airline member will create a folder of all the documents and ID for your child to use at the time of travel. At the check-in, the accompanying parents/guardians must provide the following –
- Photo ID such as passport, driver’s licence.
- Mention address as shown in the ID.
- Contact phone number for the greeting parents/legal guardians.
- 4 print-outs of the unaccompanied minor form.
- Parents travel consent form that would be provided at the time of check-in.
KLM service fees for unaccompanied minors
You must purchase an adult ticketed fare and pay a service fee if you want to sign up for unaccompanied minor service offered by the KLM airlines.
The unaccompanied minor service cost is between $150 to $200 for direct flights. A cost of between $250 and $350 applies to the connecting flight.
You will have to pay the price twice for round-trip booking. The KLM unaccompanied minor fee varies for the domestic travel as shown in the table below –
|Direct flight (in USD)||Connecting flight (in USD)|
We hope that by the end of this article, you would have understood the concept of travelling with unaccompanied minors and what KLM airlines has to offer. The airline has brilliant provisions for kids and is known for its customer-centric approach. So why don’t you contact KLM and experience it all firsthand?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – KLM Minor Policy
No. The airline converts the see in the form of the travel credit which you can use to rebook the flight in the near future. The credit remains valid for 365 from the date of cancellation.
Two or more unaccompanied minors who share the same reservation can travel together. The KLM unaccompanied minor fee would be applied per child each way.
The unaccompanied minor service by KLM required the information related to the child and the person who would be escorting the child during departure and arrival. The information must include –
Name, address and phone number of the person escorting the child at both ends
Relationship of the person who would be greeting the unaccompanied minor
The youngster must have all the necessary documents related to travel.
No. KLM unaccompanied minor policy is for the child aged between 5 and 14 years old. Children 15 and older are allowed to travel alone. However they and have the option to sign for the unaccompanied minor service if they are not comfortable with –
Navigating the airport by themselves.
Going through the check-in and boarding process.
Dealing with possible flight delays and disruptions.