The Spirit Airlines pet policy is to guide you about taking domesticated animals on flights. To carry them, you should know the animals the policy accounts for. In addition to this, the guidelines existing as a part of it are essential. They relate to pets as well as the carriers in which you keep them. Hence, you should follow the rules and also pay a fee accordingly.
- Spirit Airlines Pet Reservations Guidelines
- Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Policy
- Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Requirements
- Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Size
- Spirit Airlines Dog Policy
- Spirit Airlines Emotional Support Animal Policy
- How do I add a pet to my Spirit Flight?
- Spirit Airlines Pet Fees
- Spirit Pet Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Spirit Airlines Pet Reservations Guidelines
The airlines allow the following pets onboard –
- Domestic dogs and cats
- Small household birds
Any poultry farm birds, birds of prey, waterfowl, game bird, and flightless birds are not considered household birds. They are restricted to fly with passengers on board.
Just like that, there are many guidelines that passengers should keep in mind when bringing the pet –
- Except for guests traveling to the US Virgin Islands, the airlines do not require a health certificate for pets traveling in the aircraft cabin.
- When traveling to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, and US Virgin Island, the airlines require a rabies vaccination certificate.
- Onboard, only small domestic dogs, cats, small household birds, and small domestic rabbits are permitted.
- Birds are not permitted to and from travel between cities in Puerto Rico, United States Virgin Islands to the United States.
- Under the Spirit Airlines pet policy, snakes, spiders, rodents, and other exotic pets are restricted to fly.
- Only one pet kennel per passenger is allowed, as passengers are allowed to carry two pets per container.
- The pet must be at least eight (8) weeks old and fully bottle-fed before boarding the flight.
- You need to keep in mind that the carried pet must be odorless, harmless, and seek no attention during the flight.
- Before boarding the flight or at the time of arrival, when the pet causes any disturbance, the passenger’s travel would be discontinued by the airlines. As per Spirit Airlines pet policy, the animal must not be sick, violent, or in any sort of pain.
- While boarding the flight with your pet, no seats would be offered to you in the first or emergency exit rows.
- The pet’s and carrier’s combined weight must not exceed 18kg or 40 pounds.
Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Policy
These guidelines should be considered by the passenger in case they need their pet to travel in the cargo compartment. They also apply for acceptance of animals for international travel, and much more.
- Pets in cargo – Spirit Airlines pet reservation is not permitted for cargo, under any circumstances.
- International travel – The airlines do not accept pets for travel outside the United States, except in the case of trained/emotional service animals.
Depending on the international route, several documents need to be submitted by the passenger before travel. Please contact Spirit Airlines customer service number. And, one of the airline’s executives would be happy to check all the regulations and guidelines for you.
- Security checkpoint – You must present the animal for screening to the security checkpoint gate before boarding the flight. To be aware of any rules in relation to this or similar things, a passenger can go through the Spirit Airlines check-in policy and get help.
Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Requirements
You should know certain requirements like the dimensions of the container (kennel) and as well as the weight limit for the pet before travel.
Spirit Pet Carrier Dimensions
According to Spirit Airlines pet policy, the animal must be kept in a container before or after the flight, that the airlines can inspect and approve. The dimensions of the pet kennel must not exceed 18 x 14 x 9 inches, and it must fit under the seat. The others include –
- The animal must be kept in a container before or after the flight, that the airlines can inspect and approve. The pet will be considered one piece of carry-on luggage.
- The kennel that allows the pet’s head to remain outside, is not permitted in the cabin.
Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Size
The dimensions of the pet kennel must not exceed 18 x 14 x 9 inches, and it must fit under the seat. In addition, the combined weight of the carrier must not exceed more than 40 pounds or 18 kg.
Spirit Airlines Dog Policy
Emotional support animals, comfort animals, companion animals, and therapy animals are not considered service animals and are not allowed to travel onboard with the airlines.
When your pet does not meet the above definition of a trained service dog, it may still be allowed to travel under the Spirit Airlines pet policy.
The requirements include –
- You need to complete the Spirit Airlines pet travel form 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
- Passengers unable to submit the form are permitted to complete the form at the airport counter on the day of travel.
- When the airline is unable to accept your dog as a service animal before departure, you can rebook on the next available flight. Or, you can use the Spirit flight change option and switch to the one on which the pet is acceptable.
- To avoid any potential disruption, passengers need to submit the form by clicking here. This form can be obtained on or after the booking and must include updated vaccination certificates.
- Only two dogs are allowed per guest.
- While travelling with more than 2 service dogs, passengers need to meet up the criteria as per Spirit Airlines pet policy.
- In addition, passengers need to obtain a Credible Voice Assurance with the airline. It assures that your dog is trained to perform a task for a disability.
- No aggressive or disruptive behavior of your dog is allowed on board. In such a case, the airline may cancel or terminate the passenger’s travel. Examples of disruptive or aggressive behaviors include –
- Jumping on other guests
- Having strong odor
Seating Requirements as per Spirit Dog Policy
Trained service dogs are restricted for seating in the first rows and emergency exit rows. This, and more other seating requirements are mentioned below –
- The carried dog must not be older than 2 years old when sitting on the passenger’s lap.
- The animal, or any part of it, must not be placed on the passenger’s seat.
- For the safety of the dog, you must not occupy any seat that has an inflatable seat belt.
- Given that the service dog is seated on the floor, it must not expand beyond the passenger’s foot size.
- The airline provides an additional seating arrangement for a dog in exchange for a fee, if passengers believe their pet needs more space.
- Passengers can also upgrade their reservation to Big Front seats.
- The dog must not extend its foot into another guest’s space.
Spirit Airlines Emotional Support Animal Policy
As per Spirit Airlines pet policy, the carrier accepts psychiatric service animals with proper documents and veterinary approval certificates. Passengers need to submit updated medical documents for the pet, as well as an ID tag.
The following documents must be submitted –
- Verified medical health form
- Mental health declaration form
- Passenger’s acknowledgment form
You can download the above-mentioned form at the Spirit Airlines ESA policy page. These forms must be submitted at least 48 hours before the scheduled arrival. These will be checked by airline coordinators, who will ensure that your documents are in order. In case you are unable to submit the forms on time, you can go for the Spirit Airlines cancellation feature. It should help you understand how the procedure is executed. Later, you can book another flight when the form submission is possible.
How do I add a pet to my Spirit Flight?
Spirit Airlines accepts trained service animals on boards and must be properly vaccinated and accompanied by qualified travelers only. You can add pets to your existing reservation online as well as over the phone.
Pet Reservation Online
All the kennel-covered pets must be properly domesticated and can travel as in-cabin pets with passengers. To add a pet to your booking, visit spirit.com and do the following –
- Download the service animal air transportation form.
- Fill in all the required details and complete the form.
- While you’re traveling with service animals or pets you need to fill out two forms.
- Pay the required fee online.
- Submit the forms at – https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-US/create-case/?srva=true
- The airlines will notify passengers upon the approval via registered email address.
- Download the confirmation receipts as you need to carry them for the entire duration for your trips.
Pet Reservation Over the Phone
Alternatively, you can also call Spirit customer service phone number. Then complete your pet reservation with one of the airline’s executives. You would be asked to submit certain medical and health declarations and other certifications for pet reservation over the phone and are subject to a fee.
Spirit Airlines Pet Fees
You can pay the Spirit pet fee at the airport or by calling the customer service travel desk. The airlines do not accept payments via cash or cheques.
Also, the airlines do not accept the pet fee for other operating airlines on your trip. For that, you need to contact each airline and pay accordingly.
The below-mentioned overview of the pet fee is as per Spirit Airlines pet policy.
|Service||Region||Fee (in USD)|
|Checked pet for U.S. Military||The United States and Canada, Mexico, Central, and South America and the Caribbean, Europe, United Kingdom||200 per kennel150 to/from Brazil|
|Cargo pet||Not allowed||Not applicable|
|Carry-on pet||The United States and Canada, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean||175 per kennel|
|Service animals||All destinations||300 per kennel|