We think everyone deserves to experience flying in safety and comfort regardless of their age. So, with Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minor service, the airline manages to take care of our young travellers from check-in to arrival.
In this post, we will understand the age requirement for minors to travel alone, the travel restrictions, the service fee, and more.
- Who is Eligible for Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
- Travel Permission/Restrictions Imposed by Singapore Airlines for UMNRs
- Guidelines for Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minors
Who is Eligible for Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
The service is eligible for any passenger –
- Between 5 and 17 years of age.
- The said passenger is not travelling with an adult who is 18 years or older on the same flight and class of travel.
- The airline does not permit any passenger to travel alone who is under the age of 5.
Note – The Singapore Airlines minor travel is mandatory for children.
- Compulsory for children aged between 5 and 12 years of age.
- Optional for the passenger aged between 12 and 17 years old.
Travel Permission/Restrictions Imposed by Singapore Airlines for UMNRs
As per the Singapore Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the said service is not applicable to children under 5 years of age. In addition –
For children aged between 5 and 12 years of age
- The unaccompanied minor service is mandatory.
- To make a booking call the Airline’s customer service. And, submit the unaccompanied minor form.
For children aged between 12 and 17 years of age
- The UMNR service is optional.
- To make a booking call the Airline’s customer service, and submit the unaccompanied minor form.
- If the passenger does not opt for the UMNR service, then passengers need to submit the Singapore Airlines unaccompanied minor waiver form.
- This minor travel waiver form needs to be filled out at the time of check-in.
Restrictions/conditions for minors travelling from Russia
Children who are under 18 and travelling alone must present a notarized authorization letter declaring that they are travelling alone. However, the letter is not required in the following cases –
- If the child is travelling with a parent but has a different family name a birth certificate is required to confirm the link.
- If a trustee or guardian is accompanying a child on a trip, the necessary paperwork must be shown to immigration officials.
- The child holds a diplomatic or a seaman’s passport.
Restrictions/conditions for minors travelling from France
Children under the age of 18 who are leaving France unaccompanied and without their legal parents or guardians must have the following documents –
- Exit Territory Authorization Form. It must be filled by the child’s parents/legal guardians.
- A copy of a government-issued photo ID.
Restrictions/conditions for minors travelling from South Africa
For child passengers under the age of 18, the South African Department of Home Affairs requires extra travel documentation.
Guidelines for Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minors
Below is the travel process for unaccompanied minors from booking to paperwork, boarding, and arrival –
Documents required for UMNRs
Call the airline’s customer service, and provide the following information –
- Child’s name is as per the government-issued photo ID.
- Age of the UMNR.
- Address and contact details of the parents/legal guardians accompanying the child at the time of check-in.
- Child’s special requests such as meals, and seat preference.
Fill out the Singapore Airlines unaccompanied minor form, and carry the following documents –
- A passport in case of an international travel or birth certificate.
- A valid visa.
- A re-entry permit.
- Health declaration.
Boarding and takeoff
The parents/legal guardians who accompany the child must –
- Arrive at the airport at least 2.5 hours before the scheduled departure.
- A valid ID proof by the parents/legal guardians.
- Parents need to stay at the airport until the child is airborne.
At the time of the security, immigration, and boarding, an unaccompanied minor will receive priority.
On the flight
Singapore Airlines’ flight staff will check on your child on a regular basis. The airlines will also provide puzzles, presents, and activities to ensure that your child has a pleasant voyage. An unaccompanied minor must make sure that –
- Inform a flight attendant if he/she requires any assistance.
- After landing, wait for a Singapore Airlines crew member to take him/her to the gate.
Arrival and pick-up
After the child arrive at the destinations airport –
- The ground personnel will collect your child’s appropriately labelled baggage.
- Your child will be escorted with bags through customs until he or she reaches the approved guardian at the airport, and you will be notified by phone.
- Parents/legal guardians need to reach the airport well before the flight’s scheduled arrival time.
- Parents must carry a valid photo ID.
- Prepare to meet your youngster at the gate.
If you have any doubts about unaccompanied minors, do not wait and contact the airlines before your trip. This policy for unaccompanied minors is a gesture to the responsibility that Singapore Airlines has for the life of the minors in its care.
To maintain Singapore Airlines’ impeccable standard, it has created the option to offer solo travel for the UMNRs. These are just a few of the excellent services by Singapore Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
How do I request the Singapore Airlines unaccompanied minor service?
Flights purchased through the official website do not include the unaccompanied minor service. Simply fill out the Unaccompanied Minors Handling form and contact your airline’s customer service. For the service, there can be additional fees for children between the ages of 12 and under 18.
What information do I need to provide when booking a child for unaccompanied minors?
Purchasing a flight for your child as an unaccompanied minor is the same as booking a flight for yourself, with the exception of some additional personal details.
Simply notify the airlines of your child’s age, as well as the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the guardian who will be accompanying the child at the point of departure or arrival.
You should also emphasise any specific needs your child may have, such as meal preferences.
What are the documents required for unaccompanied minors on Singapore Airlines?
Your child needs a passport that is valid for at least six months. He/she must also have a valid visa to enter the destination country and a re-entry permit to return to his/her home country if required. Additionally, your child must have received all necessary immunizations and medical examinations, with the proper documentation serving as confirmation.
How will a child be assisted through immigration procedure?
Your child will be given preference in the lines for immigration, security, boarding, bag drop, and customs clearance both on the way in and out. The airline’s staff will also assist your child with completing forms required by the destination cities/immigration countries and customs.