Headquartered in the heart of Tremblay-en-France, Air France is the country’s national flag carrier serving flights to 175 destinations in over 78 countries around the world. Ever since the airline started operations in 1933, its popularity has grown by leaps and bounds owing to several perks including Air France baggage policy.
Air France baggage policy has been particularly designed for passengers to help them stay informed and make a smart travel choice every time. If you are not clear with the policy, we’ve got you covered with the following guide. Stay tuned!
Key Highlights – Air France Baggage Policy
Air France passengers can carry one checked baggage and a carry-on bag without having to pay any additional fee. Air France baggage allowance is pretty generous when it comes to passenger comfort. You can also carry 1-2 standard bags depending on your destination and the type of fare chosen. All the passengers who are traveling with an infant can also carry one additional item such as the diaper bag, baby food item, or anything which belongs to the infant.
If you are traveling with your family or in a group, pooling of the baggage is allowed in the airline. However, pooling of weight isn’t allowed. Moreover, it is not possible to carry more than 10 luggage even in group traveling. Air France baggage policy is easy and convenient, making it one of the best Airlines.
Air France Baggage Fees
Air France Baggage fees vary as per the ticket and the destination that a passenger is flying to. Air France Baggage allowance is flexible and gives the passengers the liberty to carry luggage up to some weight for free. Baggage fees in Air France will only be applied if-
- A passenger exceeds the permitted weight limit per ticket
- A passenger exceeds the permitted dimensions of the baggage (158 cm total height + length + width)
MiNi Fare for short-haul, Intra-Caribbean, Medium-haul & DOM 2, Between USA, Europe, Middle East and India and other Long-haul flights
If a passenger is taking a flight in MiNi fare, they would not be allowed to carry any free items. You will have to pay a small amount of 20 USD (15 EUR) if paid online and approximately 40 USD (30 EUR) if you are adding the baggage at the airport.
For Short-haul and Intra-Caribbean Flights
- If passengers decide to bring second baggage, they will have to pay a small fee of 55 USD.
- For heavy bags of more than 23 kg and less than 32 kg, passengers will have to pay 55 USD.
- For heavy bags exceeding 32 kg, passengers will have to pay 100 USD.
- For oversized bags, more than 158 cm, passengers will have to pay 20 USD.
- You will have to pay 200 USD if you are bringing your pet to Air France.
- If you are carrying any sports equipment such as bikes, tandem, surfboards, scuba tanks, you will have to pay 55 USD. Make sure to check the weight and dimensions of the equipment before taking them along.
For flights between the USA and Europe, the Middle East and India
- If you wish to bring second baggage (If the maximum Air France baggage allowance is 1 piece), you will have to bear a small fee of 75 USD.
- Every baggage you add in addition to the free allowance or after the second paid baggage would cost approximately 285 USD.
- For heavy-weight baggage (more than 23 kg and less than 32 kg), you will have to pay 75 USD.
- For baggage weighing more than 32 kg or exceeding the dimension of 158 cm, passengers will have to pay 300 USD.
- If you wish to carry any sports equipment, you will have to pay 150 USD. Make sure to check the weight and dimensions limit before taking the flight.
- If you wish to bring any pets, you’ll have to pay approximately 200 USD to do so.
For Medium-haul and DOM 2 Flights
- A passenger will have to pay 50 USD for the second baggage fee (If the limit is only 1 bag).
- For luggage weighing more than 32 kg, passengers will have to pay 200 USD.
- For bags weighing more than 23 kg but less than 32 kg, passengers will have to pay approximately 55 USD.
- If you are carrying any sports equipment such as bikes, tandem, surfboards, scuba tanks, you will have to pay 55 USD. (Make sure to check the weight and dimensions of the equipment before taking them along)
- You can carry your pets by paying 75 USD. You might have to bear some additional cost displayed while the time of booking.
For any other long-haul flights, the baggage fees will range from 100-200 USD depending on the type of luggage carried. The fare will be displayed at the time of booking as per the Air France baggage policy.
Air France Baggage Allowance
Any piece of checked baggage should not cross the weight limit of 23 kg or 32 kg (depending on the airfare and type of class chosen). The dimensions of the bag can be 158 cm (height+length+width). Air France baggage allowance as per the type of ticket is mentioned below:
- Passengers of Economy class are only allowed to carry 1 baggage the weight of which should not exceed 23 kg.
- Passengers with a ticket of Premium Economy class are allowed to carry 2 items of luggage of 23 kg each.
- Passengers with Business Class tickets have the liberty to carry 2 items of baggage of 32 kg each.
- All the passengers with La Premiere tickets can carry up to 3 items of luggage of 32 kg.
Club 2000 Skyteam Elite Members
- Passengers with this membership carrying a Premium Economy or Economy ticket are allowed to carry one additional baggage of 23 kg along with their baggage allowance (refer to the baggage allowance mentioned above).
- Passengers with this membership carrying a Business Class or La Premier ticket are allowed to carry one additional bag of 32 kg along with their allowed baggage (mentioned above).
- For all the Seamen buying the tickets of Economy and Premium Economy, the baggage allowance is 2 items each of 32 kg.
- Seamen buying tickets for Business class are allowed to carry 2 baggage of 32 kg without having to pay any additional amount.
- For all the Seamen taking tickets in La Premiere, the airline provides leverage to carry 3 bags of 32 kg each.
US Military on Order
- All the military men travelling on orders will get a ticket either in the Business Class or in the Economy class and are allowed to take approximately 5 bags of 32 kg each for free.
US Military on Leisure
- Passengers in Economy class are allowed to carry up to 2 bags of 32 kg each.
- Passengers in Business class are allowed to carry 5 bags of 32 kg each.
If you are carrying a musical instrument exceeding the following weight and dimension limit which is 32 kg / 70 lb and whose dimensions exceed 158 cm / 70 in (height + length + width), then it must be considered as a special item and will be charged as per the rules of Air France baggage policy.
Air France Baggage Size
Air France baggage policy has a different rule for a different type of baggage carried. Passengers must adhere to some of the policies set by the airline for a hassle-free flight. The limitations of the bags according to their categories are mentioned below:
- If a passenger is carrying any hand luggage or carry-on item, it must not cross the size of 55 x 35 x 25 cm/ 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.9 in (length+height+width). The carry-on item is usually placed in the overhead space which is why it’s important to follow the baggage size rule.
- The passenger can also carry one personal item, the dimensions of which must not cross 40x30x15 cm (length + height + width). The personal item can include anything such as a briefcase, laptop, camera or any other desired item that fits in the dimension and weight limit
- The checked-in baggage must not be more than 158 centimetres
- Musical instruments that are equal to or smaller than 115 cm/ 45 inches can be brought in the flight as carry-on luggage. However, if the dimensions exceed, they will be considered as checked-in luggage.
- If you are travelling with infants, you are allowed to carry a bag for them, the dimensions of which must not exceed 55 x 35 x 25 cm/ 21 x 13 x 9 in
Air France Baggage Claim
If passengers are missing any item, they can make a claim within 24 hours of their arrival. You can either fill a form online and provide your baggage number or inform directly via the app.
If a passenger is making the baggage loss claim online, you can enter your receipt number. You will receive a file number at the end of a declaration process. Make sure to keep the number if you want to track the baggage. You can also claim on necessity purchases such as toiletries and health-related materials. For instance, if you had to buy something due to the late baggage arrival, you can claim for reimbursement and ask the airline to pay you for the purchase made.
Air France Booking is your window to an unforgettable flight experience. From the ground services to the flight services, the airline has got it all covered. And not just the baggage policy, Air France cancellation policy is equally flexible. With an easy Air France flight change policy and top-notch amenities, you are bound to have a memorable trip.
Frequently Asked Questions – Air France Baggage Policy
If your baggage can not be located after 21 days, the airline will use the value you provided during your flight to make compensation. Passengers would get up to €1,607, which is the maximum compensation amount. Air France baggage tracking is done within 72 hours of the received request for the missing baggage. Make sure to go through the Air France Baggage policy before taking the flight.
If you wish to cancel your tickets and make any modifications, you can do so directly by visiting the airline’s website. If you have some special query and you wish to contact the team, you can visit this website and do so.
If your flight has been cancelled due to any mishap, you are entitled to get a 100 % refund from the airline or you will be provided with a ticket for the next flight. The passengers would be provided with the food and beverages till their next flight arrives. However, if they wish to cancel their tickets right away and receive any refund, they can contact the customer service executive.
Air France Baggage policy is as liberal as it can be. However, if you are crossing the weight or dimension rules set by the airlines, you will have to bear a small fee.