Traveling with pets is an important consideration for many of us, which is why we have curated a comprehensive Air France Pet Policy.
Whether you prefer to have your furry friend accompany you in the cabin, transport them as checked luggage, or arrange for their travel in air cargo, Air France offers solutions that suit your preferences. Thus well-being and safety of your pet throughout the trip.
- What’s Covered Under Air France’s In-Cabin Pet Policy?
- What is Air France Pet Policy As Checked Baggage (In the Hold)?
- What is Air France’s policy regarding pets being transported as cargo?
- What are the Travel Guidelines for Air France Service Dog Policy?
- What are the Rules for Transportation for Air France Emotional Support Animals?
What’s Covered Under Air France’s In-Cabin Pet Policy?
As per the Air France in-cabin pet policy, the airline allows small dogs and cats to travel with adult passengers in the cabin. Below is the overview of the guidelines –
|Pet Travel with Air France||Restrictions and Guidelines|
|Allowed Pets||Cats and dogs only|
|Age Requirement for Pets||– Minimum age of 8 weeks for flights within France, Guadalupe, Reunion Island, and Martinique.|
Minimum age of 15 weeks for flights intercontinental flights
|Timeline||Request must be made at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure|
|Check-In||Air France Online check-in for pets is not permitted.|
|Maximum weight allowed||Must not exceed 17 lbs/8 kg combined with the pet|
|Air France pet carrier dimension||must be within 46 x 28 x 28 cm.|
|Maximum Pets Allowed||Only 1 pet carrier is allowed|
|In the Business Cabin||The airline does not allow pet travel in the Business Class|
|Breeds Allowed||Certain breeds are not permitted: pugs, bulldogs, boxers, Pekingese, Shih Tzu or Persian cats. To view a list of all breeds, click here.|
Air France pet carrier requirement for in-cabin travel – Here are some important points to consider:
- Travel Bag Requirements
- Your dog or cat must travel in a special closed travel bag.
- The bag dimensions should not exceed 46 x 28 x 24 cm / 18 x 11 x 9 in.
- Air France recommends using a soft bag that can easily fit under the seat in front of you.
- Must be spacious and well-ventilated.
- Conditions – The following conditions will apply for in-cabin pets on Air France –
- A Pet Travel bag should fit unearth the seat.
- Animals must remain inside the seat in front of you.
- One animal is allowed in each Air France pet bag.
- Each passenger is permitted to travel with only one animal.
- Air France unaccompanied minor service allows in-cabin pet travel.
- Additional Baggage Policy – As per Air France Baggage Policy, the Air France pet bag would be considered additional baggage and will incur a fee.
Buy a travel container for your pet with Air France – You can purchase the carrier for Air France Pet Transport service on the airline’s website. You can also earn miles with each purchase. The pet carrier is available for delivery in the following countries –
|Country||Pet Carrier Delivery Available?|
Air France Pet Fee for In cabin Travel – Below is the overview of the Air France Pet Travel Fee for in-cabin pets –
|Destination||Carry in Cabin Fee|
|Flights in metropolitan France||€70.00|
|Flights within the Caribbean||€125.00|
|Flights in Europe or between Europe and North Africa||€125.00|
|Flights between metropolitan France and Cayenne, Fort-de-France, Pointe-à-Pitre, Saint-Denis de la Réunion||€125.00|
How to add pets to your travel – must follow these step-by-step instructions
- Go to the official Air France website and go to the My Booking Tab.
- Once you click on that, you will get a screen like this –
- Click on the ‘Log in with my booking reference’ tab and enter the Booking Reference and the passenger’s Last Name in the required field
- Once you have accessed your booking, navigate to the add-ons section. Look for the “Add Pet Travel” option.
- This will open a new page or section specifically dedicated to pet travel.
- Provide the necessary details about your pet, such as its breed, name, and weight.
- Take a moment to review the information you entered. Ensure that the information you have provided is accurate and up-to-date.
- Proceed to the payment section to pay the additional fee associated with the pet-in-cabin travel option.
Once payment is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation of your pet’s travel inclusion in the cabin.
What is Air France Pet Policy As Checked Baggage (In the Hold)?
You need to complete this checklist to accept pets as checked baggage under the Air France pet policy.
|Pet Weight||Dogs or cats weighing more than 8 kg / 17 lb up to a maximum of 75 kg / 165.3 lb are allowed.|
|Maximum Number of Pet Allowed||You are allowed to transport a maximum of 3 animals in the hold per passenger.|
|Snub-Nosed Animals||Snub-nosed animals such as pugs, boxers, bulldogs, Shih Tzu dogs, Persian cats, and Burmese cats cannot be transported|
|Age Limit||They must be at least 15 weeks old|
|Health Record||Must be fully vaccinated|
|Check-in||Intercontinental flights – Passengers must complete the check-in at least 3 hours before departure.|
Domestic Travel or flights within Europe – Check-in must be completed at least 2 hours 30 minutes before departure
|Minimum layover||Ensure you have sufficient time for your stopover or connection at 4 hours and 30 minutes for Paris-Charles de Gaulle3 hours for Paris – Orly2 hours connection for other travel route|
|Restriction||Passengers may be denied boarding if the|
Air France pet transport carrier – Here are all the conditions related to the transport container –
- The container must be composed of fiberglass or hard plastic.
- If the container has wheels, they must be removed.
- The container’s door must have a central locking system that locks in two places: at the top and bottom of the door.
- The door hinges should extend beyond the horizontal extrusions by at least 1.6 cm.
- The crate must have an empty, open-topped bowl attached to the screen door.
Air France Pet Fee – Below is the overview of the Air France Pet Travel Fee for In The Hold Pet Travel service –
|Destination||Carry in Hold Fee|
|Flights in metropolitan France||€100.00|
|Flights within the Caribbean||€200.00|
|Flights in Europe or between Europe and North Africa||€200.00|
|Flights between metropolitan France and Cayenne, Fort-de-France, Pointe-à-Pitre, Saint-Denis de la Réunion||€200.00|
How to book the In the Hold service for pets – After you book the flight with Air France, contact the customer service representative. Inform them of your intention to transport your pet to the hold. Do the following –
- Provide them with your booking reference number.
- Let them know that you require the In the Hold service for your pet.
- During your conversation with the customer service representative, confirm the availability of the In the Hold service for your chosen flight.
- Provide the necessary information about your pet. This includes the breed, size, weight, and other relevant information.
- They will also inform you of the associated fees for transporting your pet in the hold.
Once you have completed the booking process and payment, you will receive an email confirmation about your pet’s reservation.
What is Air France’s policy regarding pets being transported as cargo?
As per Air France Pet Policy, the following conditions may apply –
|Pet Transport Options with Air France||Restrictions and Guidelines|
|Pet Allowed||Zoo or Exotic Animals, Insects, Hatching Eggs, Cattle, Horses, and Ornamental Fish. Cats and Dogs are not permitted.|
|Weight Restrictions||Must be more than 75 kg/165 lbs including the weight of the carrier|
|Age Limit||The pet must be at least 10 weeks or older.|
|Destination Restrictions||If the destination country only permits animal transport by freight, cargo transport will be required.|
|Online Booking||Eligible booking are available for online reservation|
|Restricted Breeds||Pug, Bulldog, Boxer Terrier, Shih Tzus, Persian or Burmese cats|
|Eligible bookings are available for online reservation||Must not exceed 85°F/29°C or be below 10°F/-12°C|
|Pets traveling within the EU region||Must be vaccinated, electronically chipped and obtain a European passport.|
Air France cargo pets documents – You need to obtain the following certificates for cargo travel –
- Health certificate obtained no later than 10 days old.
- Vaccination proof for dogs, and cats.
- A pet passport or any legal travel documents
- Attested Shipper’s certification for live animals.
How to book the Air France Pet transport as Cargo service – Contact Air France Customer Support to book the cargo travel for pets. Follow these steps –
- When contacting Air France Cargo, be ready to provide essential details about your pet, such as its breed, size, weight, and any specific requirements.
- Inquire about the availability of the Pet Transport as Cargo service.
- Once confirmed, proceed to make the necessary reservations and payment.
- Prior to the travel date, gather all the necessary documentation required for pet transport as cargo. This may include health certificates, vaccination records, and any other documentation specified by Air France Cargo
- On the day of travel, ensure that you arrive at the airport with sufficient time before the scheduled departure.
Follow the instructions provided by Air France Cargo regarding check-in procedures, required paperwork, and any additional guidelines specific to pet transport as cargo.
What are the Travel Guidelines for Air France Service Dog Policy?
As per the Air France pet policy, only trained service dogs are allowed. And, the following requirement must be met for pet travel.
- Submit Your Request – At least 48 hours before your flight’s departure.
- Service Dog Requirements – The service dog must meet the following criteria –
- Be well-trained and exhibit exemplary behavior
- Comply with the health requirements of your departure, arrival, and connecting countries.
- Wear a harness at all times.
- Not occupy any passenger’s seat.
- Visibly indicate their service dog status
- Medical Requirements – Please be aware of the following medical travel requirements –
- For flights longer than 8 hours, a veterinary certificate is required
- If your service dog requires medication onboard, remember to bring their medical prescription for reference.
- Carry your dog’s service training certification
- Flights to/from the United Kingdom – Submit your request to travel to the UK with your service dog at least 96 hours before your flight’s departure. The other conditions include –
- Only service dogs that are affiliated with the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) are accepted for entry into the UK.
- Assistance dogs must meet the criteria defined by Assistance Dogs International (ADI).
- Upon arrival in the UK, you and your service dog must remain onboard until the Pet Checker from the airport screening company performs identity and documentary checks on your dog.
- Flights to/from the United States – As per Air France Dog Policy, for service dogs to travel to and from the US, you must submit the following documents –
- Download and complete the two official US Department of Transportation (DOT) service dog travel request forms. You can download these forms
- You must submit a copy of your passport. It contains the pet’s breed, weight, and height information.
- You need to send these documents to the appropriate email address based on your travel routes –
|Flight Origin||Contact Email|
|United States||[email protected]|
|All other countries to the United States||[email protected]|
What are the Rules for Transportation for Air France Emotional Support Animals?
As per the Air France Emotional Support Animal policy, the airline does not allow such pets to be transported in the cabin. To know more, contact the airline’s Customer Support.
Air France pet policy provides valuable guidelines and options for travelers who wish to bring their beloved pets along on their journey. By following the specific requirements, preparing your pet for the journey, and complying with the necessary documentation, you can embark on a seamless and hassle-free adventure with Air France.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, Air France allows pets to board their flights, subject to certain conditions and restrictions.
Yes. They offer options for passengers traveling with pets and strive to accommodate their needs during the journey.
Yes, Air France allows dogs to travel on their flights. They need to comply with the specific requirements and restrictions for traveling with dogs.
Yes, Air France allows dogs in the cabin on certain flights, provided they meet the airline’s specified criteria as mentioned in this article.
Yes, Air France offers pet transportation services for animals that exceed the size or weight limits for traveling in the cabin.
Air France accepts dogs and cats as long as the combined weight of the animal and carrier is under 17 lbs. Pets must be older than 10 weeks to fly in the cabin on Air France flights.
As per the Air France dog policy, the airline accepts psychiatric assistance dogs inside the cabin.
Check the aforementioned fee section to know the Air France pet travel fee.
Passengers need to call customer service to book their pet reservation. The request must be completed up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure, as per the Air France pet policy. In-cabin booking for pets can be requested via the Air France manage booking section.
Air France pet carrier size must be within 46 x 28 x 28 cm. The carrier must be water-proof and properly ventilated. It must fit under your seat.