When choosing the best New York Airport, it’s essential to consider your needs. There are three major airports in the area: JFK, Newark (EWR), and LaGuardia (LGA). If your destination is mainly in the outer boroughs of New York City, like Brooklyn or Queens, it’s convenient to use JFK or LaGuardia.
Newark Airport is a good choice if you’re arriving on a late-night flight from Europe because it tends to have better options for red-eye flights.
Each airport, from LGA to JFK, has its own advantages depending on where you’re going, so consider your location and travel schedule to pick the one that suits you best.
Best New York airport for Business Travelers
For business travelers heading to New York City, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is often the best New York airport.
Here’s why –
- It is conveniently located, with easy access to Manhattan’s business districts.
- JFK offers plenty of international flights, making it a global hub for business connections.
- Inside the airport, you’ll find comfy lounges and workspaces.
- Getting to the city is a breeze with various transportation options.
- JFK even has business centers for meetings.
Best New York airport for Tourists
For tourists coming to NYC, the best New York airport to choose depends on where you plan to go and what you prefer.
- JFK Airport – It’s great for international travelers because it has many flights from around the world.
- LaGuardia Airport – It is mainly for domestic travel and if you want to get to the city center quickly, LaGuardia is convenient. Traveling from JFK to LaGuardia is pretty straightforward, with various transportation options available.
- Newark Airport – Newark is useful if you’re heading to the western part of Manhattan or New Jersey.
Best New York airport for Frequent Flyers
For frequent flyers in New York City, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is often considered the most ideal because of the following reasons –
- International connectivity – The airport offers a vast network of international flights
- Airlines and alliance – FK serves as a hub for numerous major airlines and is a focus city for various international carriers making it the best New York airport for international travel.
- Amenities – JFK boasts dedicated business lounges, priority security lines, and expedited customs designed to cater to frequent flyers.
Related – Here is the Frontier Airlines check-in methods at the airport.
New York Airport Map
The New York airport map will help you navigate the city’s multiple airports effectively.
JFK vs LaGuardia – Unveiling Best New York Airport
While we are at JFK vs LaGuardia, we can say LGA is like the express lane – it’s right around the corner from Manhattan, so you can dive into the city faster. On the other hand, JFK is perfect if you’re jetting in from abroad or craving an international adventure.
Your choice depends on whether you’re in a hurry to hit the city streets or eager to explore destinations near and around.
Security wait times at JFK
- According to the JFK security wait times on the JFK’s official website Passengers wait about 16 minutes in security lines at JFK Airport. When it comes to a comparison of the wait times putting LaGuardia vs JFK, it is almost the same.
- The quickest times are usually on Tuesdays, especially between 11 am and noon.
- However, if you’re traveling between 2 pm and 3 pm on Friday or Saturday, be prepared for potentially longer waits, up to 35 minutes.
How to get from LGA to JFK?
If you need to know how to get from LGA to JFK Airport, you can take a taxi or use a shuttle service. Here is the direction map from LGA to JFK –
Average security wait times LaGuardia (LGA)
- The security wait times LaGuardia is an average of 17 minutes in security lines at LGA.
- The shortest wait times usually happen on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays, especially between 10 pm and 11 pm.
- If you’re traveling on a Sunday between 5 pm and 6 pm TSA wait times LGA is up to 32 minutes
Please Note – To estimate TSA wait times at LaGuardia (LGA), you can check online for real-time updates.
Newark vs JFK Airport
Deciding between Newark vs JFK Airport is like picking a neighborhood to live in. Newark is like the cozy home on Manhattan’s west side – perfect for those who prefer close proximity and convenience.
JFK is the bustling city center, offering a world of international attractions for globe-trotters.
So, whether you want to be close to home or explore the world, your choice depends on the kind of adventure you’re seeking.
JFK to EWR directions
Here are the directions to travel from JFK to EWR –
Newark vs LaGuardia Airport
When it comes to Newark Airport (EWR) and LaGuardia (LGA), think of them in terms of proximity as both the airports are parted between the Brooklyn Bridge.
EWR is preferred by passengers who prefer to remain closer to nature as there are plenty of options for sustainable travel. LGA is right at the heart of the city if you embrace the local experience, in the form of bustling nightlife, savor local delicacies, and browse through the historic landmarks.
LGA to EWR directions
Here are the directions to travel from LGA to EWR –
Amenities at JFK that makes it the best New York airport
JFK offers a range of amenities and services that make it stand out among other airports –
- Dining options – JFK Airport has your taste buds covered, you’ll find Starbucks, The Local, and a Martini Bar. Over in Terminal 4, it’s Shake Shack and many other food joints.
- Shopping – Duty-free stores offer great deals and unique finds like fresh flowers and high-end stationery at Mont Blanc make shopping here memorable.
- Lounges – At JFK Airport, Terminal 1 offers a diverse selection of airline lounges catering to various travelers. From Air France’s luxurious offerings, and Korean Air’s space-available lounge access, to Lufthansa’s premium lounges, there’s a lounge experience for everyone.
How to reach JFK Airport from the New York city center?
Below is the direction map from New York city center to JFK Airport –
Amenities you can find at LGA
- LaGuardia has four distinct terminals hosting airlines like JetBlue, American, and Delta, LGA is your ticket to hassle-free journeys to provide the best New York airport experience,
- Unwind in lounges like American Airlines Admirals Club or Delta Sky Club, perfect for American Express Platinum cardholders and the relevant frequent flyer members.
- The 4-star hotel on the terminal, Sheraton LaGuardia East welcomes you with pet-friendly rooms, free Wi-Fi, and Club Lounge perks.
- Terminals B and C are shopping and dining havens, offering everything from souvenirs to tasty burgers at Five Guys or mouthwatering tacos from La Chula.
How to reach LaGuardia from the New York city center?
Below is the direction from New York city center to LaGuardia Airport –
Amenities you can find at Newark Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is a top-notch travel hub with three terminals, each offering a diverse range of services which makes it a tough competitor for best New York airport.
- Terminal C’s United Polaris Lounge pampers premium travelers, while Terminal A’s Art & Lounge is perfect for relaxation.
- The on-site Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott Hotel offers modern comfort.
- Dining options range from fine dining at Saison to quick bites at Chick-fil-A and Dunkin’.
- You can shop duty-free, grab essentials at Hudson News, or indulge in luxury at Hermes and Tumi.
- With charging stations, free Wi-Fi, and ample seating, EWR ensures a comfortable and enjoyable travel experience for all passengers.
How to reach EWR Airport from the New York city center?
Below is the direction map from New York city center to EWR –
Which is the closest airport to Staten Island?
If you’re heading to Staten Island, it’s best New York airport to use is Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). It’s the closest big airport and makes your trip easier. Newark Airport is in Newark, New Jersey, and it’s just 17.5 miles from Staten Island. You can easily get to Staten Island from there using cars, taxis, or shuttles.
JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport are other options, but they’re in Queens, and it takes a bit longer to get to Staten Island from there.
Concluding which one is the best New York airport
When it comes to picking the best New York airport, it’s difficult to strike a perfect balance. JFK Airport suits business travelers with its strategic location and global connections. If you’re a tourist exploring the city, JFK is great, but LaGuardia’s proximity to Queen’s and Manhattan makes it a quick choice for families. If you want to explore the countryside of New York and beyond, Newark Liberty is the ideal choice that gets you close to Staten Island, Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington DC.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Newark Airport (EWR) is approximately 24 miles away from JFK Airport, so plan your travel time accordingly.
JFK is the largest and the preferred choice for international travelers. LaGuardia, on the other hand, is closer to Manhattan and may be more convenient for domestic flights.
JFK Airport typically offers some spectacular views as you approach or depart from the airport, especially if you’re seated on the window seat facing Manhattan.
JFK is about 15 miles (24 kilometers) from Times Square, while LaGuardia is even closer at around 8 miles (13 kilometers). Your choice of the best New York airport will depend on your airline and other travel preferences.
The three major airports serving New York City are John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), LaGuardia Airport (LGA), and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is often considered the easiest airport to get to if you’re staying in Manhattan. It is the closest airport to the city and is accessible by public and private transport.