Can you change the name on a plane ticket? This is a very common issue we face after making the booking. There are many reasons for making changes to the flight booking – typo error, adding another last name to the ticket, a name change due to legal considerations, and more.
In this article, we will discuss if it is possible to change the name on an existing flight ticket and what the terms and conditions apply for name change requests for all US-based airlines.
Can You Change the Name on a Plane Ticket Delta?
As per Delta Airlines name change policy, passengers are only allowed to correct the name on the ticket. In this case, Delta Airlines allows you to fix up to 3 characters on the first name, middle name, or last name.
In case there’s a typo error for more than 3 characters, name correction can be done at the sole discretion of the airline.
Under any circumstances, the airline does not allow name change on the ticket.
Also Read: Can you take flowers on a Plane?
Exploring Name Change Policies with Other Major Airlines
Each airline has its own set of terms and conditions when it comes to naming change or name correction. When you correct the name with one of these airlines, you must have these documents –
- Government-issued ID
- Marriage certificate
- Legal divorce decree
Can you change the name on a plane ticket Southwest? –
Southwest flight tickets are non-transferable. Hence, passengers cannot change the ownership of the ticket. The airline only allows you to fix typos or spelling mistakes. You cannot change the complete name. The airline allows name correction up to 4 characters.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket Spirit –
The airline allows correction with misspellings or legal name changes. Contact the airline at this link to request a Spirit Airlines name change. In the event of a legal name change, you may be asked to present supporting documents.
Also Read: Can You Bring A Hair Dryer On A Plane?
Can you change the name on a plane ticket Allegiant Air –
Allegiant Air does not allow the transfer of ownership of the flight ticket. Passengers who are unable to use the airline ticket have the option to cancel the reservation online.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket Frontier –
Frontier Airlines allows name change due to legal considerations or fixing the typo error and is subject to a 75 USD fee per passenger.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket JetBlue –
As per JetBlue Airways name change policy, the airline allows one name correction per passenger. These correction requests include misspellings, new legal names, and mid-travel name corrections.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket United –
The airline allows simple name correction requests such as fixing the spelling of first name and last name, changing a name to/from nickname, and correcting the title or prefix. United Airlines name change policy also allows significant name change requests like a marriage license, divorce decree, legal name change, and government-issued photo identification.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket American –
The airline allows name correction of up to 3 characters or less. The name correction request must be made 2 hours before the scheduled departure.
Also Read: Can Planes Fly in Snow?
Addressing the Last Name Change on a Plane Ticket
At times, passengers come with the request to alter the last name or add another last name to the flight ticket. Here are the possible reasons to change the last name –
- Due to marriage
- Divorce decree
- Passengers who forgot to add another last name to match the full name identical to the passport or government-issued photo ID.
International Flights and Name Changes
For all international flights, regardless of the carrier, the name on the ticket must appear identical to the government-issued photo ID.
Several international airlines do not allow name changes on international flight tickets, such as –
- American Airlines
- Air India
- Air Astana (Name change not applicable within 72 hours of scheduled departure).
- Aegean Airlines
- Swiss Air
- Aer Lingus (Name changes won’t be accepted within 2 hours of departure).
Why Can’t You Change the Name on a Plane Ticket?
Here are the following reasons why several major carriers deny name changes for the existing reservation –
- Security concerns – One of the prime reasons why major carriers do not want to entertain name change requests is due to security reasons. They have to ensure that the passenger boarding the flight matches the information on the ticket. This practice is critical for maintaining the security and safety of passengers.
- Airline ticketing system – The airline ticketing platforms are very complex and handle a vast amount of passenger data. However, these systems have limitations when it comes to making name change requests. Few airlines are equipped with technology that allows name changes.
- Impact on airline revenue – Frequent name changes have a sizable impact on the airline’s revenue. Airlines rely on a structured revenue system to manage their operations. Allowing name changes could lead to ticket scalping and other fraudulent activities.
Undertaking the aforementioned reasons helps you understand the complexities involved with an airline’s ticketing system.
Tips to travel during your name change
Can you change the last name on a plane ticket? Yes, you can! Here are 7 tips you should know while traveling during the name change –
- Married people always book travel in their maiden name. It takes at least 15 days for the marriage certificate to be issued. Married passengers will travel based on the name appearing on the government-issued photo ID.
- TSA does not accept marriage certificates as the source of identification. You must carry a driver’s license or passport.
- Always opt for travel insurance, if you feel your spouse or co-traveler will make a mistake on the name while booking the flight.
- The State Department takes at least 5 weeks to reissue a new passport. Always plan your travel accordingly.
- If you have booked a flight in your married name, you can use the ticket as proof of validation to reissue your new passport at a regional passport center within 24 hours.
The question is, can you change the name on the flight ticket with the airline? Yes, airlines across the globe allow correcting typos for legal name changes. The reasons for making these requests are diverse.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you change the name on a plane ticket to Expedia?
Passengers who booked flight tickets with Expedia may have to face restrictions due to the airline’s policy or the type of ticket they purchased. It is always advisable to check with Expedia customer support to understand the applicable fees and conditions for name changes.
Can you change the name on a plane ticket internationally?
Most international flights have strict regulations when it comes to name changes. However, you can still correct the typo error on your name. A name change fee may be applicable.
Why can’t you change the name on a plane ticket?
Most airlines do not permit a change of ownership of the flight ticket due to security and misuse of the ticket which may pose a security risk. When you purchase a ticket, always review the terms and conditions regarding the name change.