Latam Airlines provides options for bringing your beloved companion along. Whether it’s your pet’s first time flying or they’re experienced travelers, Latam pet policy provides you with all the necessary information and guidelines regarding pet travel in the cabin, as checked baggage, or in the cargo area.
Additionally, this article will cover the associated fees for each pet travel service offered by Latam Airlines, provide instructions on how to book pet transport and more.
What are the Guidelines Under Latam Airlines Pet in Cabin Travel?
As per Latam pet policy, only dogs and cats are to travel in the Economy or Premium Economy Class. The other guidelines include –
|Weight Limit||The combined weight of the pet and container must be within 7 kg (15 lb).|
|Pet Limit||Only 1 pet is allowed per passenger|
|Booking Deadline||The service can be booked up to 4 hours before scheduled departure. The said rule would not apply for travel to/from Brazil.|
|Kennel Dimensions (Transportation Container)||36 cm x 33 cm x 19 cm (Length x Width x Height)|
|Transport Bag Dimensions||If using a transport bag, it must be within 36 cm x 33 cm x 23 cm.|
|Ticket Class||Economy or Premium Economy Class ticket.|
|Acceptance||Acceptable on flights operated by LATAM|
Pet Carrier Requirements for Travel in Cabin – As per Latam Airlines pet cabin policy, if the kennel does not meet the specified pet in-cabin requirements set by Latam Airlines, your pet will not be permitted to fly. Some general considerations to keep in mind are:
- The container or kennel should not have any tires attached to it.
- It must be able to fit horizontally under the seat in front of you. For safety reasons, the airline will not assign seats in the front row or near the emergency exit.
- The kennel must be made from a durable material that your pet cannot easily damage.
- It should be spacious enough for your pet to move around naturally without touching the walls or roof.
- Your pet should be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.
- The kennel should have an airtight and absorbent base to contain any messes.
- It should also provide sufficient ventilation
Travel Restrictions for Pet Travel in Cabin – As per Latam Airlines pet policy, the service is not available
- To and from the United States, Australia, New Zealand, England, and the Galápagos Archipelago.
- Between Brasilia and Asunción on flights operated by Paranair.
- On flights that share a code with another airline and other interline agreement flights.
Note – The service is for dogs coming from countries with a high risk of rabies. The restriction is limited between the United States and Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, and Colombia due to restrictions in place.
Fees for Latam Pet in Cabin Travel – Below is the overview of the Latam Airlines pet in cabin fee –
|Route||In cabin fee(in USD)|
|In-cabin fee(in USD)||40|
|Within Chile (except Easter Island)||55.5|
|South America and Europe – North America – Africa – Asia||250|
Please note –
- For some countries, the tax would be applicable in addition to the fee.
- If your flight includes a layover that allows you to leave the airport, passengers are required to pay the Latam pet travel fee for each flight segment.
- Any Latam flight change or cancellation is subject to fare rules or conditions of the ticket. It must be requested up to 24 hours before scheduled departure.
How to book – You can request in-cabin pet travel with Latam Airlines by following these steps –
- Reach out to Latam Airlines directly through their customer service
- Inform the customer service representative that you would like to request in-cabin pet travel.
- Be prepared to provide information about your pet, such as its size, weight, breed, and any other relevant details related to your reservation.
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for in-cabin pet travel, such as having an Economy or Premium Economy Class ticket.
- Follow the instructions provided by the customer service representative to make the reservation.
- They will guide you through the booking process and inform you of any associated fees
Prior to your travel date, make sure you have all the required documents for your pet, such as health certificates, vaccination records, and any other documents specified by Latam Airlines
Required documents – When traveling with your pet on Latam Airlines, it’s important to have all the necessary official documents. Here’s what you need to know:
Veterinarian Certificates – Your pet must have two copies of veterinarian certificates. One copy will be retained at the airport. These certificates should be obtained no more than 10 days before the flight’s departure and must include the following details:
- Pet’s name
- Vaccine certificate
- Health declarations
As per the Latam pet in cabin policy, to be allowed to board, you must provide a certificate from a veterinarian. The health organization of the destination country must establish the certificate’s validity. Additional documents necessary for some routes are applicable such as –
Domestic travel – If you’re traveling domestically from Santiago to Easter Island, you’ll need an Animal Export certificate issued by the Agriculture and Livestock Services (SAG). In addition –
- Colombia – The vaccination record should include the veterinarian’s license number.
- Brazil – A current rabies vaccination certificate is required for animals older than 90 days. Please note that there is a 30-day waiting period after the initial vaccination before your pet can fly.
International Travel Requirements – As per Latam Airlines’ international pet policy, an animal export certificate must be issued by the origin airport. Furthermore –
- Dogs and pets must be registered under the National Registry of Pets and National Registry of potentially dangerous dogs.
- Obtain a Certificate of Sanitary Inspection (CIS) from the Colombian Agricultural Institute (ICA). This certificate is necessary for both leaving and entering Colombia.
What are the Rules for Pet Travel on Hold with Latam Airlines?
As per Latam Airlines pet policy for checked baggage, the following conditions may apply –
|Weight Limit||The combined weight of the pet and container must be 45 kg. It must be within 32 kg for flights to and from Argentina or Europe.|
|Pet Limit||2 pets are allowed in the hold|
|Connecting flights||Pets will only be accepted on itineraries that have 1 connection. The layover time must not exceed 7 hours.|
|Restricted breeds||Brachycephalic and dangerous breeds|
|Booking Deadline||The service can be booked up to 48 hours before scheduled departure. For Brazil, the service needs to be booked up to 48 hours before scheduled departure.|
|Kennel Dimensions (Transportation Container)||300 linear cm. (sum of width + height + length) with a maximum height of 115 cm|
|Transport Bag Dimensions||If using a transport bag, it must be within 36 cm x 33 cm x 23 cm.|
Specification and Requirement for Kennel/Container – Here are the key factors to consider –
- The maximum weight for pets and their kennels in the aircraft hold is 45 kg, as per Latam Airlines’ pet policy.
- For flights to, from, or connecting through Europe and Argentina, the weight limit is 32 kg.
- The kennel/container must have ventilation holes on all four sides, with one side ensuring complete airflow.
- The ventilation apertures must be designed in a way that prevents your pet’s nose or paws from entering or escaping.
- Spacers are required on all three sides of the kennel/container to provide ample space for your pet’s comfort.
- The kennel should include food and water bowls that can be filled without opening the door.
- Two separate bowls should be affixed to the kennel/container door.
To travel with Latam Airlines, you must download this and adhere to all the specific conditions. The most crucial factors you need to consider when selecting the kennel are outlined below –
Restrictions for Latam Pet Travel in the Hold – As per the Latam Airlines pet policy, this service is only available on flights run solely by LATAM. Additionally –
- Traveling to or from New York or Boston -Between December 15 and April 15 due to low temperatures, your pet will not be allowed to travel in the hold of the plane.
Note – If you have requested our in-hold service for your pet, please note that you will not have access to the bus service between John F. Kennedy Airport in New York or between Guarulhos (GRU) and Congonhas (CGH) in São Paulo.
Fee for Latam Airlines Pet Travel in the Hold – The fee would be charged in accordance with Latam Airlines checked baggage allowance.
|Route||0-23 kg (in USD)||24-32 kg (in USD)||33-45 kg (in USD)|
|Within Chile (except Easter Island)||45||60||75|
|South America and Europe – North America – Africa – Asia||150||225||300|
Please note –
- The applicable tax will be levied on the Latam Airlines pet travel fee in some countries.
- You are responsible for paying for each leg of the journey if your flight has a connection
- Changes or refunds must be requested prior to the flight’s departure and are subject to the terms of the ticket (price) you bought.
- Dogs that embark on humanitarian missions to find survivors of disasters and have their conditions certified in advance can fly for free.
Required documents – Simar documents are required for in-cabin pet travel. It is mentioned in the ‘Pet In Cabin’ section.
How to book –
Restricted Breeds – Below is the overview of the restricted breeds –
What are the Conditions for Pet Cargo with Latam Airlines?
Animals exceeding the cabin limit must be transported in the cargo. As per the Latam Airlines pet cargo policy, the following conditions may apply –
|Pets allowed||Horses, livestock (including cattle, goats, pigs, lambs, deer, lamas, alpacas, and vicunas), fertilized chicken eggs, live fish,|
|Pet Limit||1 pet is allowed per crate|
|Age limit||Minimum age must be 16 weeks old|
|Kennel Dimensions (Transportation Container)|
Requirement for service animals as cargo – Pets (cats and dogs) will only be allowed for transport if the cargo compartments of the aircraft are suitable for live animal transportation. The following conditions apply:
- Possess all required official documents from relevant countries
- Be in good health and fit for travel
- Females near the end of pregnancy or having given birth within the last 48 hours are not accepted
- Latam airlines Check-in should be completed within 4 hours prior to departure
A veterinary certificate is required stating that the pet does not exhibit brachycephalic characteristics.
Required documents – For international travel, each animal must possess a Sanitary Certificate. Additionally –
- The certificate is not required for domestic travel.
- Must complete and sign the IATA Shipper’s Certification For Live Animals in English
The following documents are required for pets traveling to the US –
For dogs or cats traveling, a Certificate of Anti-Rabies Vaccine is required. The certificate should be valid within 90 days but not less than 30 days before the scheduled departure.
- If it’s the first rabies vaccination for a dog, it must be administered at least 4 weeks (28 days) before the travel date.
- The rabies certificate should include the puppy’s age or date of birth.
Pet Carrier requirement – These requirements include –
- The size of the pet carrier must be within 300 cm (linear dimension)
- The cage should have ventilation holes on all sides, with each side ventilated from end to end
- Spacers must be present on all three sides except the door’s side.
- The kennel should be made of sturdy, rigid plastic or fiberglass.
- The door should be made of a single piece of metal with two locks.
- Wooden doors are acceptable for kennels made entirely of wood.
- The kennel’s roof must be solid without any doors or ventilation openings.
- Kennels should not have wheels.
- The kennel’s top and bottom doors should have metal double locks connecting them to the kennel.
- Kennels must have attached dishes for food and water inside the metal door.
What is Latam Pet Policy For Assistive Animals?
As per Latam pet policy, passengers can travel with service costs without paying any fee.
For service animals – The reservation for service animals needs to be booked up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure. A maximum of 2 service pets are allowed per passenger per reservation.
For service animals, the following requirements must be met for these destinations –
|Chile||– Animal Export Certificate (Certificado Zoosanitario de Exportación, CZE) issued by SAG.|
Must be registered with the National Registry of Pets
Fill out the DOT Air Transport Form.Complete the DOT Attestation Form if the flight duration exceeds 8 hours
|Brazil||Latest anti-rabies vaccination card|
Fill out the DOT Air Transport Form. Complete the DOT Attestation Form if the flight duration exceeds 8 hours
|Australia||Passengers need to obtain necessary approvals and an import permit.|
|London||For travel to London’s Heathrow Airport, you must obtain entry authorization for your dog at least 72 hours prior. |
The government-issued authorization document for England must be presented at the airport
|Other Countries||The service dog should have an official symbol or carry documentation indicating its status as a trained assistance animal. In Chile, only accredited/certified guide dogs can board. |
How to book – You can request this service through LATAM Airlines Contact Center at least 48 hours prior to your flight departure.
For Emotional Support Animals – As per Latam emotional support animal policy, the service is accepted for flights to and from Mexico, Colombia, and inside Colombia.
Following are the routes that accept emotional support animals:
|Dogs||Allowed to travel to and from Mexico and Columbia|
|Cats||Allowed on domestic flights within Colombia|
Guidelines – As per the Latam pet policy, you can only bring 1 support animal. Add to that –
- The emotional support animal must be at least four months old.
- Boarding permission will be given at the airport counter to ensure safe transportation.
- If your dog misbehaves, you must restrain it.
- Bring sanitary mats/diapers to maintain cleanliness.
- Your support dog should be well-behaved, clean, healthy, and leashed. Arrive 1 hour before departure time.
Below is the overview of all other guidelines –
|Allowed Routes||To/from Mexico – To/from and within Colombia||Only to/from and within Colombia|
|Maximum Number per Flight||6 dogs||6 cats|
|How They Travel||On a leash or harness||Inside a kennel or transport container|
|Prohibited Breeds||Potentially dangerous dogs||–|
How to book – You must fill out the requirements form and submit it via the contact form up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure. The conditions and restrictions required for traveling with your emotional support animal must be specified there. In addition –
- The Latam emotional support animal requirements form is valid for 1 year, from the date the veterinarian signs it. You need to submit for all flight legs during the trip.
- However, you must have all of the original documents because the airport may ask for them.
For a smooth and enjoyable pet travel experience, follow Latam Airlines pet policy guidelines. New travelers should keep their pets in carriers under the cabin or in their lap, while experienced pets can sit in the passenger cabin.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Only small dogs and cats are permitted in the cabin, and they must weigh no more than 7 kg overall (pet + kennel/container). The animal must spend the entire flight time in its kennel.
Visit the following website for information on traveling with service or emotional support animals.
Only cats and dogs. Your pet may fly in the passengers’ hold or with Latam pet cargo service , depending on the combined weight of the pet and the kennel.
Some dog breeds, aggressive cats, or brachycephalic cats cannot be transported in the airplane’s hold for the safety and well-being of your pets, as per the Latam pet policy. To know more about the specific breeds of cats and dogs that are restricted, visit the airline’s website.
Latam Airlines pet fee varies with the travel routes as well as for in-cabin and checked baggage travel.