Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor policy is designed for youngest solo travelers to arrange safe transportation to their destination with maximum convenience and minimal cost. The Hawaiian will look after them from the moment the child boards our plane until handing them off to the adult you choose at the end of their flight.
Read on for all you need to know about the restriction, guidelines, and each step of the unaccompanied minor travel.
- Age Required for Unaccompanied Minor Flying
- Restrictions and Exemption for Unaccompanied Minors
- Hawaiian Airlines ID Requirements for Minors
- Hawaiian Airlines Minor Travel – Dropping Off and Picking Up The Child
- Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee
- FAQs – Hawaiian Airlines Travelling with Minors Policy
Age Required for Unaccompanied Minor Flying
As per the Hawaiian Airlines minor policy, children aged between 5 and 11 years who are not accompanied by an adult who is at least 15 years of age are considered as unaccompanied minors.
How old does a child have to be before he or she can fly alone? The guidelines vary with the destination.
On flights within the State of Hawaii –
- Passengers who is 12 years old and above can travel unaccompanied
- Children between 5 and 11 years of age may only travel with an adult passenger who is at least 15 years of age.
International Flight –
- Passengers between 12 and 18 years of age can travel unaccompanied. They may require an additional document.
- Children between 5 and 11 years of age are not permitted for international travel.
- Passengers under the age of 12 must travel with an adult companion who is at least 18 years old on the same aircraft and in the same cabin.
Restrictions and Exemption for Unaccompanied Minors
The Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor policy may impose certain travel restrictions such as –
- The unaccompanied minor travel would not be permitted on the flight that may be diverted to another airport.
- Also, the children are not allowed to travel alone on the flight that has the chance of getting delayed.
- The airline will not accept Hawaiian Airline unaccompanied minor service between 9.00 pm and 5.00 am unless the request flight is the last flight of the day or the travel is on a flight operating out of Honolulu.
- The airline will not accept unaccompanied minors where the connection time is greater than 2 hours or less than 1 hour, except the requested flight is the last flight of the day.
- The airline will not book unaccompanied minors on the flight that includes an overnight connection.
- The minor travel is not possible on codeshare or interline agreement flights.
- Unaccompanied minors will not be accepted on extra-comfort fare. They can only be booked in economy or first-class in addition to the unaccompanied minor fee.
Hawaiian Airlines ID Requirements for Minors
As per the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the parents must complete the required paperwork and furnish the following documents –
- Unaccompanied minor form
- Parents consent form
- Child’s birth certificate or passport under the ‘Hawaiian Airlines ID for minor’ clause.
- A copy of a valid government issued photo ID of an individual who will pick the child.
- Name, phone number and the address of the parent who greeted the child at his/her destination.
Click here to obtain the unaccompanied minor form. You need to complete the form and submit the form at the airport at the time of check-in.
At the airport, the parents and child must complete the Hawaiian Airlines flight check-in together. Also complete the paperwork and pay the required unaccompanied minor fee at the airport.
Children travelling alone will not be permitted to check in through the airline’s website or at an airport kiosk.
Hawaiian Airlines Minor Travel – Dropping Off and Picking Up The Child
When you entrust your children to the Hawaiian, follow these procedures to ensure a smooth and secure trip. A child’s parent/guardian must:
Drop Off – Do the following when you drop off your child –
- Bring unaccompanied minors between the ages of 5 and 11 to the airport.
- Complete the unaccompanied minor form.
- Keep your child’s ID and documents handy. The documents must comply with the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
- Provide the name, address, and the contact number of the person who would greet the child at the destination airport.
- Escort the child to the boarding area and remain there until the flight has taken off.
Pick Up – Keep following information in mind when you greet the child at the airport –
- When you arrive at the destination airport, pick up the child from the authorized area. You must obtain a gate pass, and to do that you must arrive at the airport up to 90 minutes before the scheduled departure.
- Only the individuals specified on the document will be allowed to greet the child.
- Person picking up the child must carry a valid government issued photo ID.
Below is the list of the pick-up location for the unaccompanied minors at various airport –
|Airport||City||Unaccompanied Minor Pick-up Location||Gate Pass Required|
|HNL||Honolulu, Oahu||Terminal 1, Lobby 2 or Lobby 3.||Yes|
|OGG||Kahului, Maui||Baggage claim, located at the far end of baggage carousel.||Yes|
|JHM||Kapalua, Maui||Airline ticket counter.||No|
|ITO||Hilo, Hawaii Island||Airline ticket counter.||No|
|KOA||Kona, Hawaii Island||Exit door of the holding area.||No|
|LIH||Lihue, Kauai||Baggage Service Office.||No|
|LNY||Lanai City, Lanai||In front of the main terminal entrance next to the Security Desk.||No|
|MKK||Ho’olehua, Molokai||Meet at the arrival gate in the baggage claim area.||No|
|LAS||Las Vegas, NV||Report at airline ticket counter 1 hour prior to arrival .||Yes|
|LAX||Los Angeles, CA||Baggage Service Office.||No|
|SMF||Sacramento, CA||Baggage Service Office.||Yes|
|SFO||San Francisco, CA||Report at Security checkpoint||Yes|
|SAN||San Diego, CA||Baggage Service Desk near carousel 3||No|
|OAK||Oakland, CA||Parents or responsible adults must wait outside of security.||No|
|PHX||Phoenix, AZ||Parents or responsible adults must wait outside of security.||Yes|
|PDX||Portland, OR||Hawaiian Airlines ticket counter. Please contact to obtain a gate pass||Yes|
|SJC||San Jose, CA||Parents or responsible adults must wait outside of security.||No|
|SEA||Seattle, WA||Baggage claim area near carousel 1||No|
|BOS||Boston, MA||Carousel 1 near the Dunkin’ Donuts.||No|
|JFK||New, York, NY||Baggage Service Office.||No|
Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee
As per the Hawaiian Airlines minor travel policy, passengers can pay a single fee for up to two children between 5 and 11 years of age. The children must be a part of an immediate family and must travel on the same itinerary.
Hawaiian Airline minor travel fee must be paid at the time of check-in by the parent/guardians dropping off the child.
Below mentioned is the overview of the unaccompanied minor service fee in conjunction with the different travel routes and the age group –
|Age||Unaccompanied Minor Service||Route|
Hawaiian Airlines Mandatory Fee
|1 – 4||Not Permitted||N/A|
|5 – 11||Required||Within the State of Hawaii|
|35 per flight segment|
|Between North America and Hawaii|
|100 per flight segment|
|12 – 17||Optional (with fee)||Within the State of Hawaii|
|35.00 per flight segment|
|Between North America and Hawaii|
|100.00 per flight segment|
Note – If you are travelling with more than two children from the same family, you will be charged for each additional child by the airlines.
The Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minors may allow your kids to fly alone without compromising their safety, as special care would be offered during the travel. Their boarding passes will indicate a seat next to the caregiver and this will be their designated seat until arrival.
Many parents worry about the safety of their children when travelling. If you are one such parent and would like to give your children the freedom to travel alone, our guide will help you achieve that.
FAQs – Hawaiian Airlines Travelling with Minors Policy
Yes, at the time of check-in passengers need to submit a copy of birth certificate or passport alongside the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor form.
Passengers can book the unaccompanied minor travel by calling the Hawaiian Airlines customer service number. After you complete the booking, the airline’s executive will send the booking confirmation alongside the unaccompanied minor form on your email. Complete and submit the form at the time of check-in, alongside the minor travel fee at the airport.
Yes, there are flights that are off-limits and does not allow unaccompanied minors to travel under the Hawaiian airlines unaccompanied minor policy –
1. Flight departing between 9.00 pm and 5.00 am
2. International flights including flights to and from Samoa
3. Flights that requires an overnight connection
4. Any codeshare or interline agreement flight
5. Connecting flights from other airlines.
Only children that are 12 years and above can fly alone on international flights. Children between 5 and 11 years of age are not permitted for international travel. Passengers under the age of 12 must travel with an adult companion who is at least 18 years old on the same aircraft and in the same cabin.