Delta Airlines baggage policy includes 1 to 2 bags in your ticket depending on the class of service. Delta Airlines charges a pretty reasonable fee for checking bags on US and Canada/Mexico flights and the allowance is complimentary for select routes of domestic flights.
However, you need to be mindful about carrying excess baggage, because Delta Airlines charges a hefty fee for excess baggage, this makes it crucial to go through the vital points of the airlines baggage policy.
Key takeaways from Delta Airlines baggage policy
- No free checked baggage allowance for basic economy fare
- Economy passengers on International flight get 1 free checked baggage.
It is understandable that sometimes dealing with baggage can be a bit of an uphill task. For your convenience we’ve got you covered with all the important details of Delta baggage allowance –
What is Delta Airlines checked baggage policy?
Passengers are allowed for max baggage weight of 50 pounds for economy class and 70 pounds for business class, first class, and Delta One with a combined linear dimensions of 62 inches (Lenght + Width + Height) as per the Delta Airlines checked baggage policy.
Delta Checked Baggage Allowance
- Basic economy – If you’re flying with Basic Economy fare, no free checked baggage allowance is permitted.
- Delta baggage allowance international – Economy Class passengers flying internationally get 1 free checked baggage.
Please Note: The Delta One, Premium Select, or First Class members get 2 free checked baggage. This is applicable to both domestic and international travel.
Delta baggage weight limit for checked bags
- Economy Class – If you’re in Economy Class, each checked bag should not exceed 50 pounds (23 kilograms).
- Elite members – Passengers of Delta One, Premium Select, or First Class cabin get up to 70 pounds (32 kilograms) for each bag.
- Delta Medallion: If you’re a Delta Medallion elite status traveler, you also get the 70-pound limit without extra charges.
Maximum Delta baggage allowance for checked bags
- For direct flights – You can bring up to 10 bags if you’re willing to pay excess baggage fees.
- For connecting flights – On Delta Connection flights, you can have up to 4 checked bags.
Delta checked baggage size
As per the Delta Airlines baggage policy, the total linear dimensions of your checked bag should be no more than 158 centimeters or 62 inches.
Delta SkyMiles benefits
- Delta SkyMiles Medallion members and Delta SkyMiles American Express Cardmembers get first checked baggage free.
Please Note: If you’re traveling to or from Key West, Florida, you’re allowed up to 1 checked bag only. No excess baggage allowed.
What is Delta carry on baggage policy?
Delta carry on baggage policy does not imply any weight restriction for the carry-on items but there is a Delta carry on size limit, as mentioned below –
- You can bring one standard carry-on item with Delta carry on size up to 56 x 35 x 23 centimeters.
- Plus, you can have one personal item, like a purse, laptop bag, camera bag, or briefcase.
Airport specific baggage weight restrictions
Keep in mind that some airports have specific rules other than the Delta Airlines baggage policy. For instance –
|Shanghai Pudong International||22 pounds (10 kg)|
|Beijing Capital International||22 pounds (10 kg)|
|Singapore Changi International||15 pounds (7 kg)|
What is Delta baggage fee for flights within the US?
For passengers traveling within the US, here’s the overview of the baggage fees you are required to pay for the first, second, or subsequent bags –
|Members||First bag in basic economy, Main Cabin, Comfort+||Second bag in basic economy, Main Cabin, Comfort+||First bag in Premium Select, first class, Delta One||Second bag in Premium Select, first class, Delta One|
|Delta Medallion Silver Member||30 USD||40 USD||Included||Included|
|Delta Medallion Silver member||Included||40 USD||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free|
|Delta Medallion Gold member||Included||Included||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free|
|Delta Medallion Platinum||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free|
|Delta Medallion Diamond Member||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free||Included||Free. 3rd checked baggage is also free|
Exceptions to Delta baggage fee
- For travel between the United States and Canada to Panama’s Tocumen International Airport (PTY) or El Salvador International Airport (SAL), you won’t have to pay a fee for your first checked baggage.
- For flights to and from Mexico, extra baggage is not permitted, as per Delta Airlines baggage policy.
What is Delta baggage fee for international flights?
The Delta baggage weight limit is 50 pounds for international travel. For Delta One, Medallion members and First Class passengers, the weight allowance for each baggage is 70 pounds.
How do I pay my Delta baggage fee?
Delta Airlines baggeg policy offers the option to pay for your luggage in advance, and you can do this online starting 24 hours before your flight. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to Delta’s website and sign in to your account.
- Or, you can also download the Fly Delta app and log in.
By doing this, you can take care of baggage fees before you head to the Delta airlines check-in counter at the airport.
What are Delta excess baggage charges?
Passengers traveling within the United States, including places like the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, and your checked bag exceeds the required Delta baggage allowance, you have to pay extra –
For overweight bags
|Bag Weight Range (in pounds)||Excess Baggage Charge|
|51 – 70||100 USD|
|71 – 100||200 USD|
|Over 100||Not Allowed|
For oversized bags – As per Delta baggage policy, passengers must be mindful of the oversize baggage. The fee include –
|Bag Dimensions (in inches)||Excess Baggage Fee|
|63 – 80||200 USD|
|Over 80||Not Allowed|
What is Delta Military Baggage allowance?
As per the Delta Airlines baggage policy, passengers who are currently serving in the United States Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, Navy or Coast Guard – regardless of their reason of travel- you have to pay the same baggage fee as above. However, the Delta baggage allowance vary as mentioned in the table below –
|Basic economy, Main Cabin, and Comfort+||Basic economy, Main Cabin and Comfort+||Premium Select||First class and Delta One|
|Military orders||Include 5 free checked bags. (up to 100 pounds per bag)||Include 5 free checked bags. (up to 100 pounds per bag)||Include 5 free checked bags. (up to 100 pounds per bag)|
|Personal travel||Include 2 free checked bags. (up to 50 pounds per bag)||Include 3 free checked bags. (up to 50 pounds per bag)||Include 3 free checked bags. (up to 70 pounds per bag)|
Please Note – The checked baggage must not exceed. up to 80 inches in combined length, width and height. For personal travel, the size must be within 62 linear inches.
Delta Airlines baggage policy for special items
If you’re planning to check special items like sports equipment, musical instruments, or medical supplies, make sure to check the Delta baggage fees for those items.
- The good news is that many special items won’t cost you extra. You’ll just need to pay the regular checked bag fee for them.
- For example, things like ski and snowboard equipment usually fall under the regular checked bag fee.
How to get complimentary baggage allowance with Delta Airlines?
Delta Airlines does charge for checked baggage, but there are hacks that help you avoid baggage fees –
Be a Delta elite member
Existing elite passengers who are Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond Medallion Members enjoy a privilege of waived checked baggage fees, such as –
- Silver members get 1 free checked baggage
- Gold members get 2 free checked baggage
- Platinum diamond members get 3 free checked baggage
On top of that, up to 8 companions on your reservation can also benefit from your elite baggage allowances on Delta-operated flights.
Get a Delta Affiliated Credit Card
Following credit card offers a 1 or 2 free checked baggage allowance when flying with Delta –
- Delta SkyMiles Gold/Platinum/Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles Gold/Platinum/Reserve Business American Express Card
Book Business/First Class cabin
Delta Airlines baggage policy allows passengers in premium cabins like Premium Select, first-class, or Delta One to get 1 free checked baggage allowance.
Use annual credits
Certain credit cards get annual credits to spend for all sorts of travel purchase.
Redeem Delta SkyMiles
SkyMiles members flying from airports within the US can use their miles to pay for standard checked bag fees.
The Delta checked baggage rules are simple and easy to understand. And, you’ve got some options to avoid paying baggage fees for yourself and your fellow travelers when you fly with Delta.
They also have something called ‘Delta 20 minute baggage guarantee’. This means that if your checked bag doesn’t show up on the baggage carousel within 20 minutes after a domestic flight, you are entitled to get a bonus of 2,500 miles as per the Delta Airlines baggage policy. It’s like a promise from Delta to make sure your bags are on time, and if they’re not, you get some extra miles as a sort of apology.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
The personal items that a passenger is allowed to carry on-board include a purse, a briefcase, a handbag, camera bags, diapers for infants, laptops, etc.
No, Delta Airlines does not charge for carry-on baggage. Every passenger is allowed to take a minimum of one carry-on baggage.
The first baggage at 30 USD, the second baggage at 40 USD, the third baggage at 150 USD and the fourth baggage at 200 USD.
A passenger can carry one carry-on baggage, one personal item and up to 4 checked in baggage (which has to be paid for) while travelling in Delta Airlines.
You can carry one carry-on baggage and one personal item absolutely for free while taking a flight with Delta Airlines. Any checked-in baggage will have to be paid for, if the passenger wishes to take it in the aircraft.
If the baggage weighs more than 50 pounds (23 Kgs), it would be counted as extra baggage and the passengers will have to pay a small amount.