Delta Airlines allows small pets to travel in cabin and if your pet is too large to go in cabin, it can travel in the cargo hold. Delta Airlines pet policy dictates a few restrictions and requirements that you must be aware of before traveling with pets on the flight so, understanding Delta’s guidelines will ensure a stress-free travel experience.
What is Delta Pet In Cabin Policy?
Delta Airlines allows small cats, dogs, and household birds. to travel in the cabin for a one-way fee that needs to be paid during the Delta Airlines check-in.
Important rules under Delta pet policy for pet in cabin
- Exceptions to the one-pet-per-kennel rule include allowing a female cat/dog with an unweaned litter (10 weeks to 6 months old).
- No limit on the number of animals in the litter.
- 2 pets of the same breed and size (10 weeks to 6 months old) may travel together in one kennel if they can fit in and They will be charged as one pet.
- As per Delta Airlines baggage policy, the pets in the carrier would be counted as carry-on baggage. In addition to this, passengers are permitted to bring 1 personal item.
Here is the overview of the Delta pet age requirement –
|Requirement||Domestic Travel||Travel to the U.S.||Travel to the European Union|
|Minimum Age of Pet||10 weeks||16 weeks||15 weeks|
What are Delta pets in cabin restrictions?
As per Delta pets in cabin policy, passengers are not allowed to accommodate pets on the following seats –
- Bulkhead seats
- Emergency exit
- No stowage seat
- Flatbed seats
- Rows 46-51 on the A330-200 aircraft
- Rows 54-59 on the A330 -300 aircraft
- Center seats on the B757-200 aircraft
- Delta One Cabin
Please Note: Pets are not permitted to travel in the First Class and Delta Comfort Plus cabins.
The pets are not permitted as Delta pets in cabin service for the following destinations –
|Republic of Ireland||Australia||Hong Kong|
|New Zealand||United Kingdom||Dubai|
|Jamaica||United Arab Emirates||Dakar|
Please Note – Household birds are not permitted on flights to/from Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands.
How to book Delta pets in cabin service?
If your pet fits all the above mentioned requirements, call Delta Reservation at 800-221-1212 to make advance arrangements.
While contacting the Delta pet travel team, please have the kennel dimensions (length, width, and height) ready.
What is Delta pets in cabin fee?
Below is the overview of the Delta Airlines pet fee for the following destinations –
|To/from Destination||Pet Travel Fee (in USD)|
|US/Canada/Puerto Rico/US Virgin Island||$95|
What are the Delta pet carrier requirements for pets in cabin?
Ensure your pet can comfortably fit in a small, ventilated carrier under the seat in front of you. It must meet the following requirements –
- The pet must fit in well with enough space to move.
- Be suitable for placement under the seat in front of you.
- Soft or hard-sided carriers should be leakproof with three sides of ventilation (4 for international travel).
- Recommended Delta pet carrier size 18″ x 11″ x 11″ as it fits most planes.
- During boarding, deplaning, in Delta boarding areas, airport lounges, and while on board, pets must remain inside the kennel with the door securely closed.
Does Delta pet policy allows pets in cargo?
Yes, Delta allows pet travel in cargo hold. Pets that do not fulfill the in cabin requirements must travel as Delta pet cargo.
When traveling with pets as checked baggage, you must arrange the travel up to 48 hours before scheduled departure as pet the Delta pet policy
Do You Know?
As per Delta pet policy, the airline exclusively allows animals as checked baggage for active U.S. military personnel or active U.S. State Department Foreign Service Officers (FSO) and their spouses who have active transfer orders.
An overview of pets as checked baggage under Delta pet policy
Below is the overview of the accepted pets as checked baggage on Delta Airlines flights –
|Pets Accepted||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Cats (excluding snub-nosed breeds)||Yes||Yes|
|Dogs (excluding snub-nosed breeds)||Yes||Yes|
|Rabbits, hamsters, household birds, guinea pigs||Yes||No|
|Compliance with Federal Regulations||Required||Required|
What is the Delta pet fee for travel in cargo?
Delta Airlines significantly dropped pet travel fees with effect from Feb 28, 2022 which costs 95 USD/CAD for travel within the USA.
Here is the table highlighting the new Delta pet fee as checked luggage –
|To/from U.S./U.S.V.I/Puerto Rico||USD 95|
|International (incl. Canada or the Caribbean)||USD/CAD/EUR 200|
What are Delta Pet carrier requirements for pets in cargo?
Delta requires that pet carriers for pets traveling in the cargo hold must be made of a rigid material, such as hard plastic, wood, or metal. The carrier must provide enough space for the pet to stand up and turn around comfortably. Additionally, you must label the carrier with the pet’s name, your name, and your contact information.
What are the USDA pet carrier requirements for pets in cargo?
USDA crate requirements for Delta pet cargo include –
- Constructed with rigid materials (no cardboard) such as plastic, wood, or metal.
- No wheels allowed.
- Ventilation openings on three sides, covering the upper 2/3 of the crate.
- Functional handles on the exterior to prevent tilting.
- Secure closure with zip ties for transit safety, along with labels indicating “Live Animal” and upright arrow position.
- Bedding or absorbent material inside the crate.
- Two dishes for food and water, attached to the crate door and easily accessible.
What are the requirements for Delta pet travel as cargo?
Passengers requesting the Delta pet travel as cargo must meet the following requirements –
|Connecting flights||Delta pet cargo service is available for 1 connecting flight|
|Age requirement||Dogs and cats must be at least 12 weeks old, fully weaned, self-feeding, and capable of safe travel.|
|Restriction||Mother and young animals cannot travel together in the same kennel for safety reasons.|
|Restricted breeds||Delta and Delta Connection flights do not allow brachycephalic (snub-nosed) dogs, cats, and their mixes.|
What are the required documents for Delta cargo pet travel?
You need to submit the following paperwork for Delta cargo pets travel –
- A health certificate is necessary. The health certificate, issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of transport, must include:
- The shipper’s name and address
- Animal’s identification
- Confirmation of good health
- Details of administered inoculations if applicable
- The veterinarian’s signature and date of the certificate
How to book Delta pet travel in cargo?
- Call Delta’s dedicated Reservations team at 800-221-1212 to inquire about pet travel and make a reservation.
- Confirm with the agent that your flight allows pets to travel as checked baggage.
- Ensure you have all the necessary documentation for your pet.
- Obtain an approved pet crate or kennel that meets Delta’s size, material, and ventilation requirements.
- On the day of your flight, arrive at the airport early to allow sufficient time for the check-in process.
- Inform the Delta agent at the Special Service Counter that you are checking your pet as baggage.
- Pay the applicable Delta Airlines pet fee.
- Adhere to Delta Airlines pet travel guidelines.
- Adhere to Delta’s guidelines for preparing your pet for travel.
What are the Delta pet carrier dimensions?
Below is a list of crate sizes, associated costs, and compatible aircraft types. Prices listed are exclusive of tax and are subject to modification.
|Crate Type||Dimensions||Weight||Cost of Crate||Aircraft|
|SML/100 Series||21 x 15 x 16||6 lbs (3 kg)||$75||Any Delta Aircraft*|
|MED/200 Series||27 x 20 x 19||12 lbs (5 kg)||$90||Any Delta Aircraft*|
|MED/300 Series||32 x 22 x 23||18 lbs (8 kg)||$125||Any Delta Aircraft*|
|LRG/400 Series||36 x 24 x 26||24 lbs (11 kg)||$145||Any Delta Aircraft*|
|XLG/500 Series||40 x 27 30||31 lbs (14 kg)||$160||Any Delta Aircraft*|
Exceptions for XLG/500 Series –
XLG/500 Series is allowed on any Delta Aircraft except 767-300-300ER-400ER, A330-200, 717-200, CRJ-200-700-900, ERJ-145-170-175.
What are the Delta pet in cargo restrictions?
Delta Airlines does not allow crates made of welded mesh, wire mesh, wicker, cardboard, or collapsible materials. Moreover, they prohibit crates with extra openings on the top or sides and those secured with plastic latches instead of hardware, such as metal nuts and bolts.
Weather restriction for Delta Airlines pet cargo –
As per Delta Airline pets policy, animals cannot be accepted as checked baggage during extreme weather conditions, such as temperatures exceeding 80˚F (26.5˚C) or falling below 20˚F (-6.5˚C).
Live Birds –
Regarding live birds, pets and tropical birds kept indoors are at risk if the temperature at any point of the itinerary drops below 50˚F (10˚C). When temperatures range from 50˚F (10˚C) to 20˚F (-6.7˚C), transportation is at the shipper’s own risk.
Restricted Aircraft – Delta Airlines does not permit passengers with pets in Business Class, Delta Premium Select, or Delta One, and Delta does not accept animals as checked baggage or cargo on any Delta 767 aircraft or Delta A330-200 Aircraft.
What are the breed restrictions under Delta pet policy?
Delta Airlines no longer accepts snub-nosed or pug dogs and cats as checked baggage.
Which dog breeds are restricted under Delta pet policy?
|Boerboel||Dogue de Bordeaux|
|Boston Terrier Bull Terrier||English Toy Spaniel|
|Boxer (all breeds)||Japanese Chin (Japanese Spaniel)|
|Brussels Griffon (Petit Brabancon)||Lhasa Apso|
|Bulldog (all breeds)||Mastiff (all breeds)|
|Chow Chow||Pit Bull|
Which cat breeds are restricted under Delta pet policy?
Delta Airlines pet policy does not allow certain snub-nosed cats in the baggage hold. These include –
- British Shorthair
- Exotic Shorthair
- Scottish Fold
What are the Delta International Pet Travel Guidelines?
Delta Airlines allows pets to travel internationally in the cargo hold but not in cabin and the pet must be at least 8 weeks old and fully weaned. The other requirements depend on the country you are traveling to.
Here’s a table summarizing the regulations for Delta traveling with pets to various destinations –
|Destination||Cabin/Baggage Restrictions||Pet Travel Requirements|
|Hong Kong||Not allowed in cabin or baggage||Special permit/import permit or quarantine permit required.|
|South Africa||Pets are not allowed in cabin/baggage.|
Only Service Animals are allowed
|Not allowed as checked baggage. |
Service animals are allowed in the cabin.
|Australia & New Zealand||Not allowed in cabin/baggage.|
Only Service Animals are allowed
|Must travel via cargo.|
|European Union||Not allowed in cabin/baggage||Specific requirements vary by country.|
|London (Heathrow & Gatwick) and Manchester||Allowed with proper documentation||Contact the Animal Reception Center for specific instructions.|
How to book Delta international pet travel?
Here are the important steps to prepare for the Delta Airlines International Pet Travel service –
- Get in touch with the embassy or consulate of the country you’re traveling to.
- Make sure you obtain all the necessary paperwork for your pet’s travel.
- Schedule a visit to your local veterinarian for international health requirements.
- If you’re traveling to the United States or from the US, check the importation and export regulations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Be prepared for additional fees and charges that may apply during your pet’s travel.
Does Delta pet policy allow service dogs?
Delta Airlines allow disabled passengers to travel with service dogs. The airlines no longer consider Emotional support animals (ESA) as service animals.
What is the Delta service dog policy?
As per Delta service dog policy, here are the important points to consider –
- Trained service animals on Delta flights must be seated below the passenger’s seat or in their lap.
- They are not allowed to occupy seats.
- Service animals travel for free and should not exceed the size of the passenger’s seat.
- Associated items, such as kennels, blankets, and food, are permitted.
- Trained service animals are limited to dogs trained to assist individuals with disabilities.
- 2 service animals are allowed per passenger.
What are the required documents for Delta Service Dogs?
These documents include –
- Must complete the U.S. DOT Service Animal Air Travel Form to validate their animal’s health, training, and behavior.
- For flights lasting 8 hours or more, customers must also submit the DOT Relief Attestation Form
For last-minute bookings, the U.S. DOT Service Animal Air Travel Form can be presented at the check-in counter or departure gate.
Additional information about Delta service dog policy
- The airlines reserve the right to refuse transportation only if the animal displays disruptive or aggressive behavior.
- Certain locations, including Hawaii, the U.K., and other island nations, have specific requirements and quarantine laws
- If you are traveling with a trained service animal, please note that no additional pets are allowed in the cabin.
Other guidelines under Delta pet policy
The other Delta flying with pets guidelines include –
- Large pet crates are required to be transported as cargo.
- Primates and reptiles must be shipped as cargo.
- Delta Pet fee will apply per pet during airport check-in and at each layover.
- Exceptions may be made for routes with connections lasting over 6 hours.
- Pets/animals are not counted in the free baggage allowance.
- There are no additional charges for excessive size or weight.
Delta Airlines Pet Policy prioritizes the health and welfare of pets throughout the travel process. It is important for pet owners to familiarize themselves with the policy and adhere to the guidelines to ensure a stress-free and enjoyable experience for their furry companions.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, you can bring your pet on a Delta flight, but there are certain regulations and guidelines you need to follow.
Yes, Delta Airlines allow small pets and service dogs in cabin.
Delta Airlines may have specific regulations regarding transporting pregnant pets.
Delta does not allow snub-nosed breeds either in cabin or in the baggage hold.
The pet travel fee ranges between $100 USD and $250 USD and it varies with the destination, and the transportation type.
The requirements may include up-to-date vaccinations, health certificates, and other supporting documentation.
Delta Airlines transports pets in the cargo hold of the aircraft and follows specific guidelines and procedures to ensure their safety and comfort.
The airline will take necessary measures to ensure your pet’s well-being during the journey.