Passengers may sometimes need to make changes to their airline reservations due to personal reasons or changes in their travel plans. Delta Airlines does not want you to worry about this situation, as they believe in providing complete flexibility to their customers/passengers to make any changes to their flight reservations.
Before requesting the changes to their existing booking, passengers must be familiar with the Delta flight change policy and its terms and conditions.
- What are the rules and guidelines to change Delta Airlines flight?
- How Does Delta Change Flight Within 24 Hours Work?
- What is Delta Same Day Flight Change?
- What is the Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy According to the Fare Types?
- What are the terms for Ticket Validity for Delta Airlines?
- What is Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy for Award Tickets?
- How to Change Delta Flight for an Award Ticket?
- What are Delta Airlines Schedule Change Policy?
- What is Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy For Vacation Package?
- How to Change Delta Flight?
- How to Rebook Delta Flight with eCredits?
- How much is the Delta Flight Change Fee?
What are the rules and guidelines to change Delta Airlines flight?
As per Delta Airlines flight change policy, the following conditions will apply –
- No Change and Cancellation Fees for Main Cabin and Above Tickets –
- Tickets purchased in the Main Cabin or above class from eligible origins do not incur change or cancellation fees.
- When you change your ticket, any price difference between the original and new flights will be required to be paid.
- Unused ticket value will be converted into an eCredit, which can be used before the ticket expires, typically within one year from the purchase date.
- Flexibility for Ticket Changes:
- Date, time, or location changes can be made to your trip before departure using the My Trips feature.
- Basic Economy tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable in most cases.
- Basic Economy Tickets:
- Delta 24-Hour Risk-Free Cancellation policy allows you to cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking and receive a full refund with no change or cancellation fees.
- Canceling a Basic Economy ticket before departure results in an eCredit minus a cancellation charge, which can be applied to a future Delta ticket.
- Basic Economy Award Tickets are also non-changeable and non-refundable.
- Trips Originating in the United States, Canada & the Caribbean:
- Change and cancellation fees are waived for Main Cabin or above tickets originating from the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean, regardless of the destination.
- Basic Economy tickets are not permitted for flight change requests.
- Trips Originating Outside of the United States, Canada & the Caribbean:
- Restrictions for flight apply on Basic Economy Fare
- The Change and Cancel Waiver is still in effect for flights originating from Asia, Oceania, India, and Israel, allowing customers to change or cancel their flights without incurring fees.
How Does Delta Change Flight Within 24 Hours Work?
All Delta airline tickets come with a 24-hour change/cancellation window. Passengers can enjoy this service without any hassle. It states that you can change or cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking if the ticket is at least 7 days ahead.
|Ticket Type||Flight Change Policy|
|All Tickets||Delta’s flight change policy applies to all tickets, including Basic Economy fares, purchased directly from Delta|
|Easy Change Process||To change your flight, visit the Delta website and access the “My Trips” section|
|Award Tickets||Delta’s 24-hour flight change policy does not apply to award tickets|
What is Delta Same Day Flight Change?
When making same-day flight changes, Delta provides two options to cater to different needs and preferences:
- Same-Day Confirmed – If there is availability in your original fare class, you can change your ticket to a confirmed seat on a different flight. Here are the key details –
- Same-day confirmed fee starts at $75 USD
- Diamond, Platinum & Gold Medallion Members enjoy free same-day confirmed changes
With the same-day confirmed option, you can secure a confirmed seat on a different flight. Here are the key details to keep in mind:
- Same-day confirmed changes apply to travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The service is not available for international flights.
- Changes can be requested within 24 hours prior to the original flight’s departure time.
- Same-Day Standby – If the same-day confirmed option is not available or suitable, you can opt to wait for a seat on an earlier flight than your original ticket. Consider the following:
- Same-day standby is a complimentary service provided by Delta.
- Your original flight remains confirmed until you are assigned a seat on an earlier flight.
- Main Cabin ticket holders can only be rebooked in the same fare class, subject to availability.
- Origin, destination, and same-city changes are not possible for same-day confirmed changes.
- Basic Economy fares (E) are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.
- Changes can be requested within 24 hours prior to the original flight’s departure time.
- Silver Medallion Members, General SkyMiles Members, and non-members may only standby for an earlier flight.
- Same-day standby is not available for flights to/from Canada.
- For specific flights and routes, the airline offers the Same-Day Standby upgrade option, allowing you to upgrade your flight for a small fee
|Flight Routes||Eligible for Same-Day Standby Upgrade|
|Within North America||Yes (excluding JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO)|
|Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)||Yes|
|Los Cabos (Mexico)||Yes|
|Montego Bay (Jamaica)||Yes|
|Providenciales (Turks and Caicos)||Yes|
|San Juan (Puerto Rico)||Yes|
|St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)||Yes|
|Atlanta – Costa Rica||Yes|
|Atlanta – St. Maarten||Yes|
|Atlanta – St. Lucia||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Atlanta||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Cincinnati||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Detroit||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Indianapolis||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Memphis||Yes|
|Cancun (Mexico) – Minneapolis||Yes|
What is the Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy According to the Fare Types?
Here are the details for the Delta Airlines Change Flight Policy as per the following fares offered by Delta Airlines –
- Non-Refundable Fare – Passengers have the option to change their flight by paying a change fee, which typically ranges from $0 to $400, depending on your travel route.
- Refundable Fare – Delta allows you to change your flight without incurring any change fees, provided that you meet all the guidelines, and is subject to availability.
- Changing an Award Ticket – The airlines have eliminated change fees for Award travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) as well as for international travel originating in the United States and Canada.
What are the terms for Ticket Validity for Delta Airlines?
When you opt to change your ticket, the airlines will ensure that the remaining value of your original ticket is applied to your new trip. This is applicable for –
- Travel within Canada, United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. Travel must be completed within 1 year from the original date of booking.
- The aforementioned policy applies for international travel as well.
What is Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy for Award Tickets?
The airline does not charge Delta Airlines a change fee for an award ticket. Fare difference may apply. The residual value can be paid in miles. The details include –
- Date/Destination Change Fee – For travel within the U.S. and international travel originating in North America, no fee would be applicable. For all other routes, there is a fee of $150 USD applicable for date or destination changes.
- Exclusions/Waivers – The above-mentioned fees for date changes, cancellations, and redeposit of miles are waived for Platinum and Diamond Medallion members.
- Same-Day Confirmed or Standby Charge – In situations where you need to change to a different flight on the same day, Delta applies a charge of $75 for same-day confirmed or standby services. The waiver of the fee would be applicable to Gold, Platinum, and Diamond Medallion members.
How to Change Delta Flight for an Award Ticket?
Award ticket passengers are allowed to make changes and amendments to their flight reservation, but remember that the changes are only allowed at least 72 hours after the scheduled departure. The change fee for this category is $150 and free for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members.
- Enter your credentials and log in through the official website of Delta Airlines.
- Find the option of “My Trips” and select the flights you wish to change.
- Click on the option of ”Modify Flight”.
- Now click on “Start Flight Change”.
- Make a selection for a new flight.
- Follow the further website-guided checkout process and pay all the change fees and fare differences.
- Make sure to get the new flight confirmation.
What are Delta Airlines Schedule Change Policy?
Passengers who have schedule changes can call Delta Airlines to request the flight changes for free, provided –
- A flight delay of 120 minutes or more.
- A change in travel route that adds one or more connections to the existing itinerary.
- Aircraft change from Delta Mainline to Delta Connection.
- Delta Flight cancellation with no comparable options available
Passengers have the option to request a new flight on the same day as their originally scheduled flight. The new flight must have the same origin, destination, and class of service.
In addition to flight changes, the above scenarios may also unlock the possibility of receiving a full refund on a non-refundable ticket.
Here are the options for changing your flight –
- When you need to rebook your flight, Delta allows you to choose a new flight within the same origin and destination or select alternates within a 100-mile radius of your original flight.
- When rebooking, the airline aims to provide the same class of service as your original flight.
- For Main Cabin fares, if the same class of service is not available, Delta allows you to rebook in the next available class of service, up to Y Class.
- Delta allows you to rebook your flight up to two days before or two days after the original flight date (+/- 2 days).
What is Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy For Vacation Package?
As per Delta Airlines flight change policy, the following conditions may apply –
- Airfare –
- There is no Delta Airlines change fee for tickets purchased for travel from the U.S. and Canada to any destination worldwide.
- The exception to the change fee would not be applicable to the Basic Economy fares.
- Hotel –
- Changes to the booking do not require an additional fee.
- Passengers can upgrade or switch rooms within the same hotel 4 days prior to scheduled departure. The Delta Airlines flight change fee would be waived.
Please note – No changes or refunds would be applicable to the train tickets, event or show tickets, theme park passes, and other similar experiences.
How to Change Delta Flight?
Passengers have the option to request the flight change online as well as over the phone.
Online – To make changes online, follow these steps –
- You need the Booking Reference or Record Locator number. Look for the email titled “Your Flight Receipt” in your inbox.
- Visit the Delta website and navigate to the “My Trips” section. Enter your name and confirmation number, credit/debit card number, or ticket number from the Flight Receipt email to locate your trip.
- Once you have found your trip on the Trip Details page, click on the “Change or Add Flights” button.
- You will be presented with a list of new flight options to choose from.
- You will need to pay the price difference, if any, between your original flight and the new flight, along with any applicable change fees.
- The system will display the additional amount due, which may include change fees, if applicable.
- The confirmation of the new flight itinerary would be sent to your registered email address.
If the new flight costs less than your original flight minus the change fees, the remaining difference will be issued to you as a Delta eCredit.
Phone – Follow these steps to change the Delta flight over the phone –
- Call Delta Airlines’ customer service or reservations line.
- You can find the phone number on their official website or your original booking confirmation.
- When connected to a representative, provide your booking information and state that you would like to change your flight.
- Explain the reason for the change and discuss your preferred new flight options with the representative.
- Inquire about any applicable change fees or fare differences for the new flight.
- Once you have selected a new flight and agreed to any associated fees, confirm the changes with the representative.
- If there are any fees or fare differences to be paid, follow the representative’s instructions for making the payment.
Once the changes are processed and payment, if applicable, is confirmed, the representative will provide you with a new confirmation number and any updated travel documents.
How to Rebook Delta Flight with eCredits?
Here is the step-by-step guide to rebook your Delta Airlines reservation with eCredits –
- If you had a SkyMiles account associated with your booking when you canceled your flight, log in to your Profile on delta.com to find your eCredit.
- If you need assistance to find your eCredit, follow these steps –
- To locate your eCredit, use the credit card that was used for the original ticket purchase. You can also use your SkyMiles account number, or the ticket number from your cancellation email.
- In that email, find the “Flight Receipt” section. The ticket number will be the first item listed.
- Visit delta.com/redeem and enter your ticket number, credit card, or SkyMiles account information.
- Click the “Look Up” button to search for your eCredit.
- Validate your eCredit by entering the first and last name of the original ticket holder and clicking “Add.”
- After validating, your eCredit will be displayed under “Manually Entered Certificates and eCredits.”
- Check the box to select your eCredit.
- Scroll down and click “Continue” to proceed to the flight search page.
- Your eCredit will be applied to the price of the new flight.
- Select your desired flights and review your selections on the Trip Summary Page.
- The right side of the page will show the price calculation, including the application of your eCredit.
- On the Checkout page, review your selection and provide payment information.
- If the new flight costs more than your eCredit, you will need to pay the price difference to complete the purchase.
- Once the purchase is complete, you will see a summary of your transaction on the Confirmation page.
How much is the Delta Flight Change Fee?
Delta Airlines change fee depends on the fares and membership purchased by the customer and the time period in which the change is demanded. The complete Delta flight change fee structure which shows all the costs to change Delta flight is described below in the table.
|Time Period||Basic Economy||Non-refundable ticket||Refundable ticket|
|Within 24 hours of booking||Free||Free||Free|
|After 24 hours of purchase||Not Permitted||0 – 400 USD as change fee + Fare difference||Only Fare difference|
|Within 24 hours of flight departure||Not Permitted||From 75 USD. Subject to availability.||From 75 USD. Subject to availability.|
Please note – Basic Economy tickets originating from Europe, Africa, and other international markets may be changeable for a fee, which can be up to $200.
Delta Airlines Flight Change policy not only demonstrates Delta’s commitment to customer satisfaction but also acknowledges the ever-changing nature of travel. By providing clear guidelines and procedures for flight changes, Delta aims to streamline the process and ensure a smooth experience for its passengers.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
You can either visit the Delta website or call Delta Reservations to initiate the flight change process.
Basic Economy tickets and certain international tickets may incur change fees, which can range up to $200 or more. No non-refundable fare, the change fee mat varies between 0 and 400 USD per passenger.
Book a refundable fare, or join Delta’s loyalty program to make changes without fees.
Yes, Delta offers same-day flight change options, subject to availability and certain conditions.
The process of changing a flight for a single passenger on Delta is similar to changing a flight for multiple passengers. You can request changes online or through customer service.
Yes, you can typically change your flight date on Delta, subject to availability and fare rules.
Yes, Delta generally allows passengers to change their flights to a different day, subject to availability and fare rules. There may be a fee depending on the type of ticket you have purchased.
Yes. Contact Delta or access your booking online to review your options and make the desired date changes.
Yes, it is possible to change the return flight date on Delta, subject to the terms and conditions of your ticket.
Yes. Delta has eliminated change fees for most tickets purchased for travel originating from the U.S. and Canada to all destinations worldwide.
Yes, it is possible to change a Delta flight, provided it is permitted based on the fare rules associated with your ticket.