The WestJet cancellation policy has several provisions to enable online and offline reversals. With each method, certain rules are associated. Once you cancel your confirmed ticket, this policy can help you apply for a refund too. Given that the ticket was involuntarily canceled, compensation benefits can be accessed through this.
- What are the rules to consider when requesting WestJet flight cancellation?
- What is WestJet 24-Hour Cancellation?
- What is WestJet Covid Cancellation Policy?
- How to request flight cancellation with WestJet?
- How much is the fee to cancel the flight with WestJet?
- What are my options if WestJet cancels flights?
- How much is the compensation if the WestJet Cancels flight?
- What is WestJet Refund Policy?
What are the rules to consider when requesting WestJet flight cancellation?
Here are the key rules to consider when requesting a WestJet flight cancellation.
- All Econo, EconoFlex, Premium, and Business fares are allowed a one-time waiver for cancellation. This rule also applies to requesting WestJet flight changes.
- Basic fares are not eligible for a one-time waiver.
- The request for a change or cancellation must be made more than 24 hours before departure.
- After you cancel the flight, the unused portion of the airfare would be returned to your Travel Bank credit.
- The standard WestJet cancellation fee will apply if you cancel within 24 hours of travel.
- In case, the passengers hold a ticket on the same day of the booking then the airline will not charge any WestJet cancellation fee. Such passengers will receive a complete refund from the airline.
- If passengers cancel a WestJet flight online on the same day of the flight, then they will lose the whole amount of the ticket and no refund will be provided by the airline.
- WestJet cancellation policy clearly states that the passengers who are canceling a flight (WestJet) after 24 hours of the purchase of the ticket will have to pay the WestJet cancellation fee. The airline allows passengers to cancel their reservations 72 hours after the departure of the flight.
What is WestJet 24-Hour Cancellation?
WestJet cancellation policy is 24-hour and allows passengers to cancel their flights within 24 hours of booking the flight without incurring any cancellation fees. Here are the conditions where passengers are eligible for free cancellation within the 24-hour window:
- Flight must be operated by the WestJet
- The flight must have a departure time that is at least seven days away at the time of cancellation.
- Passengers who book a flight and then cancel within 24 hours would be eligible for a full refund of the airfare. No WestJet cancellation fee would be applied.
- WestJet 24 Hour Cancellation would be applicable to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.
- Cancel Westjet Flight Within 24 Hour rule would not apply to the group booking (itinerary which has more than 9 passengers).
What is WestJet Covid Cancellation Policy?
The airline has implemented several measures that offer flexibility to passengers when they change or cancel their flights. If WestJet canceled flight today due to Covid, here are the points to note –
- Passengers can change the flight date, and destination and also have the option to retain the value of the unused portions of the flight which is affected. Passengers would be offered credit for future travel.
- No change fee would be levied for the flight which is affected by the Covid 19.
- Passengers are also eligible for a refund if the flight is canceled due to Covid related reasons.
Please note that the aforementioned policies are subject to change based on evolving circumstances and regulations.
How to request flight cancellation with WestJet?
Passengers have the options to request flight cancelation online, through customer service, as well as at the airport –
In case, you do not know how to cancel a WestJet flight online then you can follow the steps mentioned below to cancel your reservations:
- The first action to start with the procedure is to visit the official website of WestJet Airlines.
- Once you arrive at the official website of WestJet Airlines, you need to locate the tab that says “Manage and Plan”.
- Once you see the “Manage and Plan” you need to tap on the drop-down arrow on it.
- Under the Manage Trips option, you will have to select the flight that you want to cancel from the list appearing on the screen.
- Once you have selected the flight for cancellation you have to provide the reservation number along with the last name of the passenger and then hit the option of Search.
- After this step, you need to go to the Manage booking page and there you will have to make a selection on the option of Cancel Flight to continue further.
- To make sure that you cancel the flight successfully you will have to follow the on-screen instructions that appear on the WestJet flight cancellation page.
In case you have any confusion related to the WestJet cancellation policy then visit the official page of WestJet Airlines.
Passengers can reach WestJet customer service in several ways –
- Dial the WestJet Customer Service number. You can find the number on the ‘Contact Us” page.
- Also, you can look for the ‘Chat’ option. You can find it on the ‘Contact Us’ page.
- You can send an email to the WestJet customer service email address, which can be found on the airline’s website.
Once you connect with the WestJet cancelation number, explain to the airline’s representative that you would like to cancel the reservation. And then, follow these steps –
- Provide them with the required details like the booking reference and the passenger’s last name.
- The airline’s agent will guide you through the WestJet booking cancellation process.
- The airline will review your itinerary to check if the reservation is eligible for a refund.
- If the booking is eligible for a refund you are asked to pay the cancellation fee upfront or the airline may give you an option to deduct from the remaining balance.
- Once you agree with the Westjet cancellation, the airline will process the cancelation. Before you end the call, make sure you confirm that your flight has been successfully canceled.
Remember, the WestJet cancelation policy varies with the ticket type, fare class, and any additional services selected by the passengers.
WestJet Cancellation at the airport
Passengers who need to cancel the flight at the airport need to arrive early. Make sure they have ample time before the scheduled departure to request WestJet ticket cancellation at the airport.
When you arrive at the airport, head to the WestJet check-in counter, and follow these steps –
- Ask the WestJet flight executive to cancel the flight and explain the reason for the flight cancelation.
- Provide your booking reference number that helps agents assess the rules associated with your booking.
- Based on your situation you would be offered a refund minus the cancellation fee.
- The airline will guide you through the cancellation process.
Note – Passengers must request the last-minute WestJet cancellation up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure.
How much is the fee to cancel the flight with WestJet?
Just like every airline, the airline also charges a WestJet cancellation fee from the passengers that are canceling their reservations.
The WestJet ticket cancellation fee is the first thought of every passenger that is canceling any reservation.
It is advised by the airline to go through the WestJet cancellation policy before making WestJet reservations.
The WestJet cancellation charges are based on various factors like the destination of travel, the duration between the cancellation timing and the departure of the flight, the type of fare held by the passenger, the time of cancellation, the number of tickets selected for cancellation, and much more.
Below in the table mentioned the WestJet Econo cancellation fee as well as for other fares. To know the WestJet cancellation fee have a glance at the following:
|Ticket Type||Cancellation Fee (CAD)|
|Econo||50 CAD to 59 CAD|
|Econo Flex||25 CAD to 30 CAD|
|Business Flex||100 CAD to 118 CAD|
|Premium||50 CAD to 59 CAD|
Please note that the WestJet cancellation fee is entirely different for the passengers taking the flights to Europe as per the WestJet cancellation policy.
In case you have any kind of queries regarding the WestJet cancellation charge then you can contact the WestJet executive.
What are my options if WestJet cancels flights?
It can be difficult and inconvenient if the flight schedule is interrupted in any way. WestJet will always keep the passengers updated and always reschedule the flight as early as possible to eliminate any hassles.
Passengers are not only eligible for the refund but also qualify for the WestJet flight cancellation compensation if they are refused boarding, their flight is delayed or canceled for at least two hours, or their luggage is lost or damaged.
Let’s understand all the scenarios –
Delay and cancellation outside the airline’s control – At times, passengers’ flights get delayed or canceled for reasons that are outside the airline’s control. It could be due to –
- Bird strike
- Any passengers having a medical issue
- Weather events like snowstorms, hurricanes, etc.
If the flight is delayed for 3 or more hours, you must take note of the following considerations, as per Westjet trip cancelation policy
- The airline will offer an alternate flight operated by Westjet or a non-Westjet airline within 48 hours of the original departure time.
- Passengers are not required to pay any additional fee if the seat is available in the higher class of service.
- If the alternate travel does not meet the passenger’s needs, the airline will process WestJet cancel flight refund the money on the unused portion of the itinerary.
Delay and cancellations within the airline’s control – A passenger’s flight schedule can be delayed or canceled if the reasons for the flight cancellation was under the sole discretion of the airline.
If the flight is delayed for 3 or more hours or canceled within WestJet’s control –
- The airline will offer an alternate flight operated by Westjet or a non-Westjet airline within 9 hours of the original departure time.
- If the reservation cannot be confirmed at this point in time, the airline will offer a confirmed ticket for a flight operated by any airline within 48 hours of the original departure time.
- If the alternate travel does not meet the passenger’s needs, the airline will refund the money on the unused portion of the itinerary.
How much is the compensation if the WestJet Cancels flight?
As per WestJet cancelation policy, passengers who are informed of the cancellation less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure, are eligible for compensation in case of delayed flights, canceled flights, or for passengers who were denied boarding.
|Length of Delay||Compensation (CAD)|
|3 to 6 hours||400|
|6 to 9 hours||700|
|9 hours or more||1000|
Compensation for the denied boarding – Here is a general guideline for compensation based on the Canadian Air Passenger Protection Regulations:
|Time of Arrival||Compensation (CAD)|
|Less than 6 hours after original ticket time||900|
|6 to 9 hours after original ticket time||1800|
|9 hours or more after original ticket time||2400|
What is WestJet Refund Policy?
Passengers of WestJet can cancel their flights and ask for refunds by visiting their website or contacting their customer service line. The WestJet refund policy will vary depending on the class of fare that was purchased, it is vital to remember.
Below is the WestJet Airlines refund policy in accordance with your fares –
- Basic Fares – After the 24-hour cancellation deadline has passed, passengers who paid the Basic Fare will not be qualified for a refund.
- Econo Fares – For Econo Fares, passengers can cancel their flights and get a full refund up to 24 hours after making their booking. Cancellations are not allowed after the first 24 hours, although changes are possible for a fee.
- Premium Fares – Within 24 hours of purchasing, passengers who paid a premium fare may cancel their booking and obtain a full refund. After the 24-hour period, they may be able to cancel their flights and obtain a credit for future travel.
- Business Fares – Passengers can cancel anytime before the scheduled departure to obtain a full refund.
In addition, here are the other important points to consider –
- Non-refundable fares are generally not eligible for a refund.
- In the event of flight cancellations or significant schedule changes initiated by WestJet, passengers may be eligible for a refund.
- The refund will be processed based on the fare rules and will be credited back to the original method of payment in 15-20 business days.
- Fees for optional services like seat selection, baggage fees, or in-flight services are generally non-refundable, even if the flight itself is eligible for a refund.
WestJet cancellation policy is subject to the type of WestJet ticket type, fare class, and specific circumstances. Non-refundable fares may be eligible for future travel credits or changes, while refundable fares can provide refunds. Contact WestJet for detailed and up-to-date information.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, WestJet allows passengers to cancel the reservation within 24 hours from the date of booking. No cancellation fee would be charged.
WestJet offers a refund for the circumstances of flight cancellation which are not under their control.
For eligible refunds, such as flight cancellations by the airline or significant schedule changes, WestJet aims to process the refund in 7-10 business days.
Navigate to the ‘Contact Us’ page where the airline offers various options to contact them – phone numbers, email, and live chat.
Check the status of your flight using the WestJet Manage booking tab. By simply entering the booking details, you should be able to see if any schedule change or flight disruption has occurred.
Yes. If you have a refundable ticket, you may be able to cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and receive a full refund.
In that case, if you have a non-refundable ticket there would be restrictions as passengers are not entitled to get any refund but the future travel credit for the unused portion of the journey.
Passengers holding a refundable ticket can get a refund minus the cancellation fee. In the case of a non-refundable ticket, refunds may not be available.
WestJet cancellation fees range between 50 USD and go up to 250 USD. The fee varies with the class of service and the fare type.