There are times when passengers may misplace or lose their belongings while traveling with the airline. This is where the Lost and Found department comes into play.
With a dedicated team of professionals, WestJet Lost and Found works tirelessly to reunite passengers with their lost items and ensure that their travel experience with the airline remains positive and hassle-free. In this article, we will explore the airlines’ take to help passengers recover their lost belongings.
- An Overview of the Lost and Found Policy
- What is the West Lost and Found Policy for the Damaged Baggage?
- What is the West Lost and Found Policy for the Delayed Baggage?
- What to do if the checked baggage is misplaced by WestJet airlines?
- What is the responsibility of WestJet Airlines if the baggage is declared missing?
- Missing Items on board with WestJet Airlines
- How do I report lost items with WestJet Airlines?
An Overview of the Lost and Found Policy
WestJet Airlines has a lost and found policy that aims to ensure the timely return of lost items to their rightful owners. In addition –
- If you lose an item on a WestJet flight or at a WestJet-operated airport or facility, you should immediately notify a WestJet agent or visit the WestJet Lost and Found office. You can also submit a lost item report online through the WestJet website.
- The WestJet lost baggage team will make every effort to locate and return your lost item to you. The airline will search it’s lost and found database and work with its employees to try and locate the missing item. If the item is found, WestJet will contact you to make arrangements for its return.
- If the item is not found within the first 30 days, it will be disposed of or donated to charity. WestJet does not assume responsibility for lost or damaged items, and it is recommended that passengers keep important items such as passports and medication with them at all times.
- If you find a lost item on a WestJet flight or at a WestJet-operated airport or facility, you should turn it in to a WestJet agent or to the WestJet lost luggage office. If the owner of the item is not found within 30 days, you may be able to claim the item as your own.
What is the West Lost and Found Policy for the Damaged Baggage?
WestJet policy for damaged baggage is as follows:
- If your baggage is damaged while in the care of WestJet, you should report the damage as soon as possible at the airport baggage services office before leaving the airport.
- You will need to fill out a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) and provide a detailed description of the damage.
- WestJet will evaluate the damage to determine if it is repairable or if the baggage needs to be replaced.
- If the baggage can be repaired, the airlines will pay for the cost of the repair.
- If the Westjet checked baggage needs to be replaced, the airlines will offer a replacement of similar value and quality.
- If a replacement is unavailable, WestJet lost and found will offer a refund for the damaged baggage.
It is important to note that WestJet’s liability for damaged baggage is limited by the Montreal Convention, depending on the origin and destination of the flight.
What is the West Lost and Found Policy for the Delayed Baggage?
WestJet has guidelines in place to address delayed baggage:
- If your baggage is delayed upon arrival, report it to the WestJet check-in counter or the airline’s customer service as soon as possible.
- You will need to provide your baggage tag number, flight information, and a description of your baggage to the WestJet representative.
- WestJet will provide you with a tracking number so you can monitor the progress of your delayed baggage online.
- WestJet will make every effort to reunite you with your baggage as soon as possible. However, in some cases, it may take a few days for your baggage to arrive.
- If your baggage is delayed for an extended time, the WestJet customer service lost baggage team may offer you reimbursement for any essential items you need to purchase, such as toiletries or clothing.
- If your baggage is lost or permanently delayed, WestJet may offer you compensation up to a certain amount, depending on their policy.
It’s always a good idea to check with the airline’s customer service or consult their website for more detailed and up-to-date information.
Compensation for the Delayed Baggage
According to WestJet’s lost and found policy, the airline will provide compensation for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred due to delayed baggage such as –
- For the first 48 hours that your baggage is delayed for domestic flights within North America, you can be entitled to reimbursement of up to 100 CAD/USD. You might be eligible for an additional 150 USD after 48 hours, bringing your total to $250.
- You will be compensated for your flights into Europe up to a maximum of 100 CAD/USD.
You can ask WestJet for reimbursement for out-of-pocket costs associated with a delayed or damaged luggage issue that was under the airline’s control.
What to do if the checked baggage is misplaced by WestJet airlines?
If your baggage is missing while traveling with WestJet Airlines, you should follow the following guidelines:
- Report the issue – You should report the missing baggage to the WestJet lost baggage counter at the airport as soon as possible. They will create a report for the missing bag and provide you with a reference number to track the status of your bag.
- Provide details – You will need to provide information about the missing bag, including the tag number, description, and contents. You should also provide your contact information, including a phone number and email address.
- Check the status – You can check the status of your missing baggage using the reference number provided by the WestJet representative. You can track the status of your bag on the WestJet website or by contacting their baggage services department.
- File a claim – If your baggage is not found within 21 days, you can file a compensation claim. You will need to provide proof of the value of the missing items and receipts for any expenses you incurred as a result of the missing baggage.
- Follow up – It’s important to follow up regularly with airlines until your baggage is found. Keep all documentation related to the missing baggage, including receipts for any expenses you incurred, in case you need to file a claim for Westjet lost baggage compensation.
- Prevention – To prevent lost luggage in the future, you should make sure your baggage is properly tagged with your contact information, use a luggage lock, and avoid packing valuable or important items in your checked baggage.
What is the responsibility of WestJet Airlines if the baggage is declared missing?
Here are some general guidelines of what you can expect from WestJet Airlines in case of missing baggage:
- WestJet Airlines will provide assistance to help locate your missing baggage. They will try to track the location of your baggage and keep you informed of any progress.
- If your baggage is not found, WestJet Airlines will compensate you for the loss based on their policy. The amount of compensation will depend on the type and value of the items that were lost.
- WestJet Airlines will continue to work with you until your missing baggage is found, or until the compensation process is completed.
It is important to note that WestJet Airlines liability for lost baggage is limited by international conventions and their policies.
Compensation for the Lost Baggage
WestJet will reimburse the appropriate expenses for that baggage if it is determined to be lost, lost for longer than 21 days, or damaged. Unless a higher value was disclosed in advance, WestJet’s liability for lost and damaged baggage is restricted to 2300 CAD per passenger.
Missing Items on board with WestJet Airlines
If you have left an item on a WestJet flight, you should contact the WestJet Lost and Found team as soon as possible to report your lost item. You can do this by filling out an online form on the WestJet website, or by calling WestJet directly.
When reporting your lost item,
- Be sure to provide as much detail as possible about the item, including
- Date and flight number of the flight you were on
- Seat number you were in
- Any identifying features of the item.
This will help the WestJet lost baggage team locate your lost item more quickly.
If your lost item is found, WestJet will make every effort to return it to you as soon as possible.
How do I report lost items with WestJet Airlines?
To report the missing baggage, fill out the Lost Item Report Form, or you can call the WestJet Lost and Found team directly. Here’s how to do both:
Fill out the Lost Item Report Form: Do the following –
- Go to the WestJet website at www.westjet.com.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Contact Us”.
- Click on “Lost and Found”.
- Click on “Submit a Lost Item Report”.
- Fill out the form with as much detail as possible about the lost item and click “Submit”.
Dial WestJet lost and found contact number: All you need to do is –
- Dial the WestJet Customer Service number at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET).
- Follow the prompts to reach the Lost and Found team.
- Provide the details of your lost item to the agent.
It’s important to report your lost item as soon as possible, as it may take some time for WestJet to locate and retrieve it.
In conclusion, WestJet Airlines has a comprehensive lost and found policy that prioritizes the timely return of lost items to their rightful owners.
Passengers should take care to keep important items with them at all times, and if an item is lost, they should immediately report it to a WestJet agent or through the online form. If you find a lost item, you should turn it in to a WestJet agent or the Lost and Found office.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
You can contact the airlines at 1-888-937-8538 where you can report the lost items.
Go to the WestJet website and click on “Contact Us”. Select “Email Us” and fill out the contact form with your inquiry. Submit the form and wait for a response.
WestJet will hold lost items for a minimum of 30 days after they are found.
As soon as you realize your luggage is lost, report it to a WestJet baggage agent at the airport or by calling the WestJet baggage department.
As soon as you realize you have left an item on a WestJet flight, report it to the WestJet Lost and Found team as soon as possible.
You can also report a missing item by calling the WestJet Customer Service team directly at 1-888-937-8538.