Can you request a name change on the Westjet Airlines ticket? Many travellers have questioned this, whether a companion unexpectedly couldn’t attend the flight. Or, a terrible spelling mistake on a boarding permit is discovered at the last minute. With Westjet name change policy, there are systems in place that help passengers handle such situations.
There are deciding factors such as how close or how many characters you’ll be able to make change – and how much it will cost. Plus, there are certain rules and guidelines that need to be complied to in order to be eligible for the Westjet name correction request.
To answer all, here’s a rundown of everything you should know before requesting a name change on your Westjet Airlines booking.
- Rules and Conditions to Change name on the WestJet Booking
- How to Correct/Change the Name on the Westjet Flight Ticket?
- Fee to Change Name on Westjet Ticket
- Criterias to Correct the Name on the Westjet Reservation
- Change the Name on the Westjet Flight Ticket for Free
Rules and Conditions to Change name on the WestJet Booking
It is possible to request a name change under the Westjet Airlines name change policy, depending on the ticket type you purchased or are planning to purchase. The rules include –
- The name change is allowed on the completely unflown flight segments and the passenger’s type [child, adult, senior] is not changeable,
- Westjet change name on the ticket is only permitted if the ticket issued is a Westjet document. The booking only consists of flights operated and marketed by Westjet.
- Westjet flight booking would be re-issued in the similar or higher class of service. If no tickets in the original booking class exist, the passenger is responsible for the cost of upgrading to the next available booking class.
- In case the name has been misspelt, you can correct up to 3 characters on the first name, middle name or last name. A Westjet name change fee of 150 USD would be applicable.
- The infant is excluded from the name change fee if the name that needs to be altered applies to an adult travelling with an infant.
- As per the Westjet name change policy, the airline offers name change due to divorce or marriage by presenting the official documents. The documents must confirm that name change occurred after the booking was issued.
- Online change/correction requests can be submitted no later than 24 hours before the scheduled departure.
How to Correct/Change the Name on the Westjet Flight Ticket?
The airline does not allow the name change online, but passengers via the manage booking section can correct the name up to 3 characters. However, you can also correct or change the name on the Westjet booking by calling the customer service.
Method 1: Change Name on Westjet Ticket Online
Passengers flying with Westjet can request the name correction up to 3 characters to their first name, middle name and last name. While correcting the name, they are required to submit the legal travel document such as passport or any government issued photo ID. Follow these names to correct the name on the airline’s website –
- Visit westjet.com, and go to the ‘Manage Booking’ tab.
- Enter the booking reference and the last name in the required field. And click on the Confirm button, you will be redirected to the booking summary page.
- Choose the flight segment, and the name of the passenger that needs to be altered.
- Click on the ‘Change’ tab. Enter the correct name in the field.
- You are only allowed to correct up to 3 characters to the first name, middle name or last name.
- On the checkout page, pay the required fee. Review your name correctly, and ensure that it matches exactly as it appears on the government issued photo ID.
- The Airline will send a new flight confirmation and e-ticket with the correct name.
Method 2: Change Name on Ticket over the Phone
The name change cannot be supported online, Therefore, you can call customer service and request the name change only on legal considerations. You can request the name change due to following reasons –
- Inverted name correction
- Name change due to marriage or divorce decree
- Change to the title or gender.
- Correction to the date of birth.
Note – At the time of making changes with Westjet, you need to submit a copy of the valid photo ID that justifies the name change.
Fee to Change Name on Westjet Ticket
The following is a list of the fees connected with changing the passenger’s name. If you’d like to change or correct your name, check the list below –
|Name change fee for:||Econo fare [in USD]||EconoFlex fare[in USD]||Premium fare[in USD]||Business fare[in USD]|
|Travel within Canada||125-150||125-150||125-150||125-150|
|Travel between Canada and all destinations||125-150||125-150||150-175||150-175|
|Travel between Canada and Europe||175-200||175-200||175-200||175-200|
Criterias to Correct the Name on the Westjet Reservation
To correct the name on the Westjet flight booking, the following criteria must be met –
- Westjet must be a validating carrier.
- All flights must be operated and validated by the Westjet Airlines, and interline agreement partners.
- If booked with the travel agency, they need to contact the Westjet for approval on the name correction request.
- If the airline refuses to correct the name, the request would be considered under the name change, and is subject to Westjet name change policy.
- Only 1 reissue is allowed for the name correction. Additional name correction would be considered under the Westjet name change request.
- Change to the flight date, destination, time or fare basis code is not permitted.
- As per the Westjet name correction policy, the minor name corrections are permitted mid-travel. It must match with the passenger’s passport or a valid photo ID.
- The date of birth and gender change are not permitted under the name correction policy.
- Making a change to the date of birth would be considered as the name change, as is subject to Westjet name change policy.
Change the Name on the Westjet Flight Ticket for Free
There are scenarios and circumstances that allow passengers to request the name change or correction without paying the Westjet change fee. Such as –
- Minor correction – Any typo or minor correction that is under the 3 characters can be requested for free. Up to 3 characters passengers are required to pay the airline service fee. Fare difference may apply.
- 24-hour of booking – If a reservation is purchased within 24 hours of booking, you can cancel the flight for free, and claim a full refund. Now you can rebook the flight with the correct name.
- Westjet flight cancellation – At times, cancelling a flight is cheaper than paying the fee. Also, sometimes buying a second ticket is also cheaper than requesting the name change.
- Make a name change due to marriage or divorce – As long as you have the right paperwork and give yourself enough time at the airport for it to be scrutinised, you’re in compliance with the law. The name on your ticket only needs to match the passenger’s identification on the day of travel, according to the Westjet name change policy. No fee would be charged. Here the Department of Transportation page explains your concern.
Westjet Airlines is generally understanding when it comes to changing or correcting the name on the flight tickets. However, you need to approach the airlines, and address your concern sooner rather than later.
It is also important to notify that the Westjet name correction requests work differently than changing an entire name of the passenger. With Westjet, the name change is possible and transferable, and you can give your flight ticket to someone else.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, as per the airline’s policy you can change the last name on the following grounds –
If the last name mentioned in the marriage certificate
If you’re making a last name change due to divorce decree
Any other legal consideration where one of the valid ID has the same last that you need to update on your Alaska Airlines reservation.
Yes, the name change is permitted and is subject to the name change fee. Provided the ticket issued is a Westjet document. The reservation would be re-issued in the similar or higher class of service. If no tickets in the original booking class exist, the passenger is responsible for the cost of upgrading to the next available booking class.
The online airlines portal would allow passengers to alter the name. An airline’s name change fee, and fare difference would be applied.
Call the executive to alter the name on your skywards account. A copy of any legal travel documents such as passport or government issued photo ID would be required to complete the changes.