The Avianca name correction policy gives flexibility to passengers to fix any spelling errors. In addition to this, it has several other purposes that help in correcting name-related errors. The airline understands the importance of the information being correct for various processes. Hence, with the creation of this policy, it ensures that the fliers are able to fly with accurate information on all documents. For using it, you need to be familiar with its rules, name change processes, applicable fees, and more.
Rules Associated with Avianca Name Correction Policy
Before making a flight booking, the name of the passenger must match the name on the government-issued photo ID. This can include a passport for international travel and a photo ID for domestic travel. As per the name correction policy, passengers may be denied boarding when the name does not match the corresponding photo ID.
Just like the above, there are other conditions that you should know –
- The airlines allow minor name corrections such as misspelled names. It also facilitates any correction due to legal obligations such as married/maiden name change.
- In some cases, you have to cancel your existing booking and rebook the flight with the correct name.
- Avianca name change policy does not allow the transfer of the tickets to another traveler or any different passenger.
- To correct the name on your flight booking may be subject to a name change fee and the fare difference in case there is any.
- Passengers need to complete the name correction request up to 3 hours prior to the departure for an international trip. For all travel routes within Colombia, passengers need to complete the said request for up to 2 hours.
- The name correction request would only be eligible on the unused portion of the ticket.
- Only one name correction request is allowed per booking.
- Any correction to the first name, middle name, or last name must not exceed more than 3 characters.
As per this policy, it is vital that you fly with correct details on your tickets and documents. Particularly speaking of the documents, ensure that your name is rightly spelled. Otherwise, for the other related processes of the airline like Avianca flight change, you may encounter difficulties.
Requests for Avianca Change Name on Ticket
Besides requesting to correct the misspelt name, the passenger can also request to alter the first or last name to be inverted. He/she may add or eliminate the first and the last name due to any legal circumstances. We will discuss what type of name change request any passenger can apply for, under the Avianca name correction policy.
1. Inverted First and/or Middle Name
Knowing that the first name and the middle name are reversed during booking, passengers can request the correction upon the submission of passport/ID. It may lead to an Avianca name change fee. An example of such type correction would be –
When the first and middle names are reversed. The name after correction must be Michelle Barrack Obama. Here, Michelle is the first name and Barrack is the middle name.
Correction from – Obama/Barrack Michelle to Obama/Michelle Barrack
2. Last Name reversed
Sometimes a passenger has two last names and they need to be reversed or inverted as per the photo ID. Passengers need to submit the photo ID for validation and are subject to name change fees. Examples of such type of correction would be –
The two last names are Obama and Junior. The name after correction would look like Barrack Obama Junior. Barrack is the first name and Obama and Junior are the two last names.
Correction from – Junior Obama/Barrack to Obama Junior/Barrack
3. First Name and Last Name reversed
The passenger may have mistakenly reversed the first and the last name on the ticket. Passengers need to submit the photo ID for validation and are subject to name change fees. Examples of such type of correction would be –
Here the passenger’s first name is Jonny and the last name is Walker. But, it appeared on the ticket as Walker Jonny. The name after correction must be Jonny Walker
Correction from – Jonny/Walker to Walker/Jonny
Other Permitted Aviana Name Correction
As per the Avianca name correction request, passengers can request the elimination or addition of the names.
Add to that, you can request to alter the nicknames, duplicate names, hyphenated names, and much more.
The following name change/correction requests mentioned below are subject to name change fees. Fare differences may apply. All changes are included as per the guidelines mentioned in the Avianca name correction policy.
1. Delete or Addition of Middle and/or Last Name
When the passenger’s middle name or second surname is not included in the travel.
Passenger’s name appeared on the ticket is James David Carter Smith. But, the passenger has two last names Carter Smith and needs to delete the ‘Smith’ out of it. Similarly, the passenger has a middle name ‘David’ that needs to be eliminated too. The name after correction must be James Carter.
Correction from – Carter Smith/James David to Carter/James
When you change your nickname to the name that appears on your legal document.
Correction from – Jos to Joseph
3. Duplicate last names
When you have inserted the same last name more than one time.
Correction from – Carter Carter/Jimmy to Carter/Jimmy
4. Hyphenated first or last name
Passengers can correct the hyphenated names as long as the names and surnames remain the same.
Correction from – Cameron/Brenda to Cameron-Diaz/Brenda
5. Name change due to marriage/divorce
When the last name on the legal marriage/divorce document differs from the last name on the passenger’s ticket.
Correction from – Gilmore Ann/Julia to Ann/Julia
How to Change the Name on the Avianca Flight Booking?
You can simply request the name correction over the phone with the Avianca Airlines flight executives. Along with this, you may navigate to the airline’s website.
Avianca Name Correction Online
Passengers must know that the online name correction is not available for online –
- Tickets purchased within 24 hours of booking
- Reservation whose validity has expired
- Bookings that are made with LifeMiles
You can request the name correction on the unused portion of the ticket. All you need to do is go to the airline’s website. Retrieve your booking with your PNR. Then pay the required name change cost and the name correction confirmation would be sent to your registered email address.
You can follow these steps to get a better idea –
- Go to avianca.com and log on to the Manage Booking section.
- Enter the booking reference and the last name of the passenger.
- Select the name of the passenger that needs to be changed.
- As per Avianca name correction policy, the correction must not exceed up to 3 characters.
- Next, you need to attach a passport or government-issued photo ID.
- Verify the total summary of the name change where the total amount to be paid is specified.
Aviana Name Correction over the Phone
When you have a hard time making the name correction online, you can simply call the Avianca customer service phone number at +1-844-673-0381. You can pay the name change fee over the phone. Add to that, you would be asked –
- To send the passport or government-issued photo ID to email@example.com
- It takes 4-12 hours to authorize your request
- Your ticket would be re-issued with the correct name.
Avianca Name Change Fee
Passengers are not required to pay any name change fee if they request the change within 24 hours from the date of purchase. Beyond 24 hours, the Avianca name change fee would be –
|Booking Time Window||Economy Class (in USD)||Business Class (in USD)|
|60 days before departure||100||75|
|30 days before departure||150||100|
|15 days before departure||200||125|
|24 hours before departure||250||150|
Passengers’ name correction must be done after the booking. The passport or ID for the passenger named on the ticket will be required when requesting a name change. The maximum number of characters must not exceed more than 3, including spaces. After that, Avianca reserve the right to refuse your name correction request with no refund or re-issue your ticket with an additional charge