For youngsters aged 5 to 11 who are flying domestically or internationally without parents or legal guardians, the Avianca unaccompanied minor policy comes into picture. To secure this service, you can make a booking with the Airlines sales office, at the Contact Centres, or with your travel agencies.
Passengers can also make an unaccompanied minor reservation on the day of departure. However, it is advised to do a last minute minor booking unless it is absolutely necessary. It may be subject to availability.
In this post, we will give you comprehensive insight on the unaccompanied minor travel rules, restrictions, fee, and more before you book a trip for them.
- Unaccompanied Minor Service Offered by the Avianca Airlines
- Travel Recommendation for Unaccompanied Minors, and Parents
- Restriction for the Minors Traveling Alone
- Rules for Avianca Airlines Unaccompanied Minor
- Fee for Unaccompanied Minors Flying with Avianca Airlines
- Avianca Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Unaccompanied Minor Service Offered by the Avianca Airlines
The airlines offer peace of mind and hassle-free travel for the kids from the time you book the flight until the travel ends. You must take a note of following services under the unaccompanied minor program –
- Attention at the counters – The airline will screen your travel documents and let you check-in. Passengers must assume that they need to complete the Avianca check-in at the airport. The online check-in for unaccompanied minors would not be available.
- Boarding lounge – The Avianca will offer the free access to the boarding lounge to the unaccompanied minors and answer all the questions they have.
- Boarding the plane – The airline will escort the minor and help them board the flight. The unaccompanied minors are entitled to get the special treatment.
- On-board care – Minors would be provided everything they need on board, and would be looked after by the Avianca crewe staff.
- Baggage collection – Minor passengers travelling with the checked baggage will be guided to the conveyor belt to collect their luggage upon arrival.
- Delivery to the parents/guardian – The Avianca airlines will guide the unaccompanied minors to the airport exit and hand them over to the greeting parents/guardians.
Travel Recommendation for Unaccompanied Minors, and Parents
You must take a note of the following recommendation for the minors, and legal guardians/parents at the time of travel –
- Minor between the age of 5 and 11 who is traveling alone –
- The unaccompanied minors would be responsible for the carry-on baggage and any other electronic devices, and valuables.
- Upon arrival, the minors need to wait for the Avianca crew members to escort them.
- Minors need to wait at the airport until one of the Avianca crew members will help them claim their checked baggage. Also, the minors would be accompanied to the airport exit.
- At the time of check-in, the unaccompanied minors must arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure.
- For the guardian and adult responsible for unaccompanied minor –
- Verify with the relevant immigration authority in each country the specifications and/or authorizations required for the arrival and exit of minors.
- It is advised to bring an extra accredited copy of this authorization in case the connection or destination’s immigration office needs one for entry or exit.
- Find out what documentation your child requires so that they travel without any hassles.
- On the day of travel, arrive at the airport before time so that you can complete the check in and handover the child.
- Inform Avianca who is delivering and greeting the child, their name, ID number, address, and phone number.
- Make sure the parents/guardian accompanying the adult waits at the airport until the flight has taken off.
- The parents/guardian who would be greeting the child at the airport must arrive at the airport at least 1 hour before the scheduled arrival.
Restriction for the Minors Traveling Alone
As per the Avianca unaccompanied minor policy, the services for minors traveling alone cannot be requested under the following circumstances –
- Child is under 5 years of age.
- Minor is receiving medical care or has a disability. The airline is not permitted to give out medicine or any medical aid.
- When the Avianca unaccompanied minor form submitted at the airport has inaccurate information.
- In the event of delay or flight disruption.
- Travel is not allowed if the minor is traveling with more checked bags than allowed.
- Any minor travelling with pets unless he/she is in need of the animal’s company for assistance or emotional support.
- A minor between the ages of 12 and 17 may not accompany another minor aged between 0 and 12 unless the parents of the minor. In this situation, it must be established that the person is the minor’s parent. In that case, both parties may travel without needing the unaccompanied minor service.
- The following circumstances require minors to return to their original airport:
- The documents include contradictions.
- The designated recipient of the child is not present.
- There are more than two connections on the flight, and/or minors have to spend the night at the airport.
Rules for Avianca Airlines Unaccompanied Minor
You must comply to the following terms and conditions under the Avianca unaccompanied minor policy –
- The fee is charged for each route, each child, and flights in Economy and Business Class.
- Discounts would be applied if passengers pay the fee at the airline’s sales office or by contacting the Avianca customer service.
- Each flight is only permitted to a certain number of minors. This is why each leg of your trip requires confirmation of your application.
- Make sure you have the necessary documentation for unaccompanied minors before the flight. At the airport, you will be asked to submit a copy of travel documents.
- You have the option to pre-select the seat for your child at the time of booking. The pre-assignment is made from the back to the front, if possible, adjacent to other unaccompanied minors.
- The minor’s compliance with the Avianca’s instructions is crucial. The paperwork for the transfer of unaccompanied kids must be filled out and signed by parents or guardians in legible handwriting.
- The service is applicable only to flights operated by Avianca, Taca, Avianca Costarica, Avianca Peru, and Avianca Ecuador.
- The unaccompanied minor service does not apply to connections made as a result of code-sharing with other airlines or interline agreements.
Fee for Unaccompanied Minors Flying with Avianca Airlines
When you pay the Avianca unaccompanied minor fee, the service would be applied to each journey for each unaccompanied minor. The fee would remain the same for all the class of service and fare types. Discounts would be applied when you pay for the unaccompanied minor service at the Aviamca’s sales office or by contacting the Customer Service.
|Destinations||Avianca Customer Service [in USD]||Airport [in USD]|
|Domestic flights in Colombia||25||30|
|Domestic flights in Ecuador||40||50|
Your child would be able to fly unaccompanied on Avianca Airlines without risking their safety since extra attention will be given to them during the flight. Their seat would be allocated next or in close proximity to the airline’s staff so they would be looked after constantly.
When travelling, a lot of parents worry about the security of their kids. Our advice will assist you if you’re one of those parents who wants to provide your kids the freedom to travel independently with Avianca Airlines.
Avianca Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The service ensures that the minors who travel without an adult enjoy a secure and convenient trip from check-in to their destination.
Children between the age of 5 and 11 years who are not travelling with an adult on the same flight and in the same class of travel must use the service. Children under the age of 5 years are not permitted to travel alone.
Flights purchased through the Avianca airline’s website do not include the unaccompanied minor service. Simply fill out the unaccompanied minors form and contact your local Avianca Airlines office to let them know you need this service.
Children between the ages of 12 and under 18 are not required to pay the unaccompanied minor service.
You can decide not to use this service if your child is between the ages of 12 and under 18. Once you’ve reserved your child’s flight(s) with the airline, all you need to do is fill out the Avianca Unaccompanied Minors Waiver form and contact the airlines office to let them know about your travel plans.
You will need to provide some additional personal information when booking a flight for your child as an unaccompanied minor. You need to provide the child’s age, as well as your name, address, and phone number, as well as those of the guardian who will be meeting the child at the airport for either the departure or arrival.
With Avianca, you should also draw attention to any unique needs your child might have, including dietary restrictions.
Your child will be greeted by a member of the Avianca at the check-in desk and guided through the procedure. Parents/Guardians who escort the child on the day of travel should stay at the airport until takeoff.
At the time of departure as well as arrival, Avianca will phone the parent or guardian of your child. You must plan for your child’s transportation from the airport and will be informed of the flight’s anticipated arrival time. Up until the time they arrive at the airport to meet you or their guardian, the airline crew will escort your child.
Avianca cabin crew will routinely check on your child to make sure he or she has everything needed for a secure and comfortable flight. They will also provide your child gifts, games, and puzzles to engage.