Aeromexico has a kid-friendly travel policy in place when your child is traveling alone under the designation of an unaccompanied minor. The Aeromexico unaccompanied minor service allows your child to fly alone once they turn 5-years old.
Here’s a rundown of all the restrictions and guidelines under the unaccompanied minor service. But, we’re also talking about the important stuff – the actual tips that help your travel alone hassle-free.
- Rules and Restrictions For Unaccompanied Minor
- Documents You Need for Unaccompanied Minors
- How You Can Book a Flight for Unaccompanied Minors?
- How Much is the Fee You Need to Pay for an Unaccompanied Minor?
- What to Pack for a Child Traveling Alone with Aeromexico?
- Aeromexico Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Rules and Restrictions For Unaccompanied Minor
Passengers who have already signed up for unaccompanied minor or going to do one, have to comply with the following guidelines –
- Aeromexico unaccompanied minors require confirmation via the airline’s customer service, 48 hours before the scheduled departure.
- Minors between the age of 0 and 4 years are not eligible for this service.
- The service is mandatory for children aged between 5 and 14 years of age.
- Minors who are 15 years or older do not require the service if traveling without a parent or guardian. However, parents/guardians can opt for one for their younger children.
- The parents/guardian must arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before the flight departure. This is mandatory to complete the paperwork and the boarding process on time.
- The parent or guardian must stay at the origin airport until a member of the Aeromexico personnel informs them that the flight has taken off.
- It is recommended to wait for at least 15 minutes after the child is airborne in case the flight needs to return.
- The person escorting the kid to and from the airport must have a valid photo ID.
Flights Departing from the United States
Parents/guardians who are dropping off or picking up the child from the US must arrive at least 3 hours before the departure.
- Parents/Guardians need to be available while dropping off/picking up the unaccompanied child. In this case, they must obtain a boarding pass at the ticket counter.
- It is advised that you arrive at the airport prepared to go through the security check.
Documents You Need for Unaccompanied Minors
The parents/guardian must present the 3 copies of the following documents –
- Aeromexico Unaccompanied Minor Form (UMNR) – Staff from Aeromexico will hand you this paperwork at the counter. It must be filled in a readable font.
- Official ID or Passport of the Parents/Guardian – It could be any valid photo ID – passport, driver’s license, or voting credentials.
- Minor Exit Form (SAM) – This document is provided by the National Immigration Institute (NII). This document allows airline staff accompanying the child to function as legal guardians under civil law. This document can be obtained through the INM’s website or from the relevant immigration office at the departure airport.
- An Attested Document – This document indicates the minor’s departure, stating the mode of transportation, the destination, and the date of travel. This document must be translated into Spanish if it was issued outside of the United States.
How You Can Book a Flight for Unaccompanied Minors?
Call Aeromexico customer service to arrange a flight for a youngster traveling alone.
In order to sign up for the Aeromexico unaccompanied minor service, you must call and book the flights up to 24 hours before scheduled departure.
You must have all relevant information in hand before calling the airlines, such as –
- Passenger’s first and last name as per passport or government-issued photo ID.
- Child’s date of birth
- Person’s full name who would at the point of origin and arrival
- For departure and arrival, a mobile number is required.
How Much is the Fee You Need to Pay for an Unaccompanied Minor?
Aeromexico unaccompanied minor fee varies with the travel within Mexico, to and from the United States, and international destinations. For a full overview of fees check the below list:
|Route||Price (in USD)||Terms and conditions|
|Flights within Mexico||35||The fee is inclusive of all taxes.|
|International destinations||155||For each kid, this rule applies to Aeromexico flight duration within 24 hours. The fee applies per child regardless of whether they are flying with the other minors on the same itinerary. These prices include all applicable taxes.|
|Flights to/from the United States||150||For each kid, this rule applies to Aeromexico flight duration within 24 hours. The fee applies per child regardless of whether they are flying with the other minors on the same itinerary. These prices include all applicable taxes.|
What to Pack for a Child Traveling Alone with Aeromexico?
As per the Aeromexico unaccompanied minor policy, children between 5 and 14 years of age are allowed to travel alone, and they must carry the following items for seamless travel.
- Cell phone – Provide them a pay-as-you-go phone, which is a convenient way to communicate in an emergency.
- Gift cards – Invest in 25 or 50 USD prepaid gift cards, which will allow your child to buy meals or cover any unforeseen expenses along the route.
- Family/friends contact information – Give your child a detailed list of the individuals who will be picking them up, and the emergency contact number of parent/family/relatives.
- Photographs – Give your child a photo of the person he or she will be meeting at the airport. Also, add the person’s contact information on the back of the photo.
- Copy of passport or other ID – A photocopy of the child’s passport and other ID should always be carried in the hand luggage.
- Medication – Ensure that your child has all of the medicines he or she requires.
- Details of the flight itinerary – Verify that your child understands what to do in the event of an emergency. Provide guidance on how to handle airline delays or cancellations, for example. Make at least two copies of this information and keep them in the bag.
- Snacks box – Bring some snacks and a water bottle for your child to fill up.
- Entertainment – Pack something to keep him or her occupied on the plane. Include books and toys, pencils, books, and an iPad with TV shows and games.
You may be worried that your child will be flying miles above the ground without an adult chaperone. But there are occasions when there is no other option. Eventually, your child may be the one pressing you to overcome the fear. With Aeromexico unaccompanied minor policy, your child is in safe hands.
Aerimexico acknowledges and understands that each child’s travel circumstances are unique. The airline drafted the laws and guidelines that make the minor travel safe and seamless. It is up to you to decide what is best within those restrictions.
Aeromexico Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Aeromexico unaccompanied minor service is mandatory for children aged between 5 and 14 years of age who are not accompanied by adults at least 16 years of age.
Minors between the age of 0 and 4 years are not eligible for this service.
In addition to the airfare, the Aeromexico unaccompanied minor fee would be –
> 34 USD per child each way for the flights within Mexico.
> 155 USD per child each way for the flights to and from the United States.
> 150 USD per child each way for international travel.
Please note that the flight duration must not be longer than 24 hours.
For minors who are 15 years or older do not require unaccompanied minor service if traveling without a parent or guardian. However, parents/guardians can opt for one for their younger children.
The unaccompanied minor service is only applicable for the flights operated and marketed by Aeromexico. In addition, the service applied to flights operated between 08:00 AM and 06:00 PM.
Call Aeromexico customer service to arrange a flight for a youngster traveling alone. In order to sign up for the Aeromexico unaccompanied minor service, you must call and book the flights up to 24 hours before scheduled departure.
The parents/guardian of unaccompanied minors must arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before the flight departure. This is mandatory to complete the paperwork and the boarding process on time.