As per the United Airlines baggage Policy, the United airlines basic economy baggage allowance includes:
- Carry-on baggage
- One carry-on item: Free of cost
- One small personal item: Free of cost
- Checked baggage: Charges and fee applicable as per the terms and conditions
- Oversize baggage: Fees and charges applicable as per the size of the weight
- Overweight baggage: Charges applicable depending on the weight limit
- Sports equipment: Fees apply on some items
The United Airlines baggage allowance and requirements are different for the carry-on and checked baggage, you must gain complete knowledge of the United Airlines baggage policy to avoid any end-time hassle. Read below the full article and prepare accordingly for your travel with United Airlines.
United Airlines carry on baggage rules and requirements
The United Airlines carry on baggage rules and requirements state that the passenger can carry along one personal item (hand purse, laptop bag, camera bag, briefcase, etc) and one carry-on bag without paying any fees or charges.
United Airlines baggage weight and size/dimensions limit for carry-on bags
- The United Airlines baggage dimensions (maximum allowed) for a piece of carry-on baggage are 56*36*23 centimeters (115 centimeters) or 22*14*9 (45 linear inches) including the wheels and handles of the bag.
- The carry-on bag must fit properly under the seat in front of the passenger or the overhead bin.
- The dimensions of personal items must not exceed 41*28*20 centimeters (89 centimeters) or 16*11*8 inches (36 linear inches).
- The personal item should fit completely under the seat in front of the passenger or in the overhead bin.
- The items such as a diaper bag, jacket, duty-free items, umbrella, and assistive devices (strollers, wheelchairs, child restraint seats, crutches, walkers, etc.) do not count as a piece of carry-on baggage.
Do remember that the bulkhead seats are without any under the seat storage so, the passengers will have to store their carry-on baggage in the overhead bin while taking-off and landing of flight.
United Airlines checked baggage rules and requirements
As per the United Airlines checked baggage rules and requirements, passengers can carry along 2 bags as checked baggage (fees and charges apply for the Economy class).
United checked baggage size/dimensions and weight limit
- The United Airlines baggage dimensions (maximum allowed) for checked baggage are 157 centimeters or 62 inches (length+width+height).
- The weight of checked baggage must not exceed 23 kilograms or 50 pounds.
United Airlines baggage fees
There is a fee applicable for the carry-on baggage and checked baggage with United Airlines. The United Airlines baggage fees depend on the purchased fare type, the destination mentioned on the ticket, the passenger is an active U.S military personnel and/or dependent, membership of United airlines frequent flyer program, membership of any partner airlines, or if the passenger has a sponsored charge card/credit card of United Airlines. You can find below the United Airlines baggage fees complete structure.
United Airlines checked baggage fee
- First baggage- $30USD
- Second baggage- $40USD
- Third baggage and more: $150USD per baggage
The United Airlines checked baggage fee for the international flights to/from the U.S is free for the first checked baggage and $100USD for the second checked baggage. The International basic economy checked baggage fees are $60USD for the first checked baggage and $100USD for the second baggage. For some of the routes, United Airlines allows two checked baggage as standard. You can visit the official website of the United airlines and use their service of “Baggage Calculator” to get the estimate of baggage fees as per your requirement.
United oversize baggage fees
The United oversize baggage fees are applicable to all the baggage having the dimensions ranging between 160 to 292 centimeters or 63 to 115 linear inches. Checked baggage of more than 292 centimetres or 115 inches in dimensions are not permitted.
United overweight baggage fee
The United overweight baggage fee is applicable for the baggage that has weight more than the set standards (23 kilograms or 50 pounds). Read below and find the United overweight baggage fee for the different weight ranges.
- 24 to 32 kilograms or 51 to 70 pounds- $100USD per extra baggage
- 33 to 46 kilograms or 71 to 100 pounds- $400USD per extra baggage
- United Airlines will not accept any bag exceeding the weight of 46 kilograms or 100 pounds as checked baggage
- The fee range is $200USD to $400USD for the flight to/from the U.S. You can use the United Airline’s service of “Baggage Calculator” to get the estimate of baggage fee
United airlines extra baggage fee
The United Airlines extra baggage fee is applicable from the third bag and the fee range starts from $150USD. We suggest you visit the official website of United Airlines and use the service of “Baggage Calculator” to know the baggage fees already as per your requirements and routes.
Please note that sometimes, there are embargoes on the excess baggage allowance for a specific time period or maybe permanent for the flights to/from Central America, Mexico, Europe, South America, the Caribbean, and the Middle East. You can check the “baggage embargoes” on the official website of the United Airlines (www.united.com).
For any further information regarding the United Airlines baggage policy, baggage fee, etc, just give a call on the United Airlines baggage phone number +1-855-284-6735.