Are you looking to cancel the flight without any hassles? With United Airlines cancellation policy, you can change your plans with maximum flexibility and are not required to pay a hefty fee as it used to earlier.
In this post, we will understand all the rules associated with the cancellation policy, how you cancel the flight, the airline’s penalty, and much more.
What are the guidelines for canceling United Airlines flights?
As per the United Airlines cancellation policy, passengers can request flight cancellation up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure for international flights and 2 hours for flights within the United States.
Similarly, there are other policies that passengers should know before making a United Airlines flight cancellation request –
- The cancellation request is subject to the airline’s penalty. The fee may vary with the trip type, cabin class, and the fare rule associated with the booking.
- Under the United Airlines flight cancellation policy, basic Economy bookings are non-refundable and non-changeable outside 24 hours of purchase.
- In case you have marked a no-show for a flight, depending upon the fare rule associated with your booking, the entire booking value may be forfeited. No refund would be offered unless otherwise specified.
- When United cancel flight event, no cancellation fee would be assessed. In case passengers refuse to take the alternate flight, a refund will be processed on the unused portion of the ticket.
- In case of the death of a traveler, traveling companion, or immediate family member, the airline will waive the cancellation fee. The refund would apply to the unused/unflown flight segment.
What is the United Airlines cancellation policy?
United Airlines cancellation policy varies depending on the fare you purchased. Here’s what you need to know –
Basic Economy Ticket
United Airlines imposes restrictions on canceling a basic economy ticket. You can only cancel it within 24 hours from the time of purchase if it was bought at least a week before the departure date.
If more than 24 hours have passed since booking a non-refundable ticket, you still have the option to cancel it. However, instead of a cash refund, you will receive a full refund in the form of a flight credit, which can be used for future travel with United Airlines.
If you’ve purchased a refundable ticket, you have the flexibility to cancel it at any time before your flight’s departure. In this case, the refund will be processed back to your original credit card within 7 days.
What is the United 24 Hour Cancellation Policy?
As per United Airlines cancellation policy, the cancellation has to be done 24 hours from the date of buying a flight, then only United 24-hour cancellation applies, and receives a full refund with no fees. United Airlines will process the refund on your ticket when canceled within 24 hours of purchase.
Terms and Conditions for United Airlines 24 Hour Cancellation –
- United Airlines 24 hour cancellation is also applicable on all Basic economy fares unless you cancel within the timeframe. Your travel date would fall beyond 7 seven days from the date of purchase.
- Beyond 24 hours, should you be holding a refundable fare, then a 200 USD United cancellation fee will be applicable.
- The 24-hour time frame begins the moment the ticket number is generated.
- Except for the flight booking made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in electronic travel certificates, refund requests will be processed in the original payment method.
- Any PNR with more than nine passengers is not covered under the United 24 hour cancellation policy. It would be subject to a group contract.
- Under the United cancellation policy, tickets bought with e-certificates are not eligible.
- Passengers can also request United Airlines flight change within 24 hours of purchase. Fare differences may apply.
How to Cancel a United Flight Ticket?
To cancel a United Airlines booking, you can request online at the airline’s website, through the customer service phone number, and through the airline’s check-in counter at the airport.
Cancel United flight online
You can cancel/change your flight via the My Trip section. You can pay the required fee and process the refund on your flight. Follow these steps to process the cancellation –
- Log in to United.com and go to My Trips.
- It will ask you to enter the six-digit booking reference (composed of letters and numbers) and the passenger’s last name.
- Select the flight segment that you would like to cancel. Select ‘cancel flight’.
- You would be asked to pay a non-refundable cancellation fee.
- At the checkout page, pay the required amount to complete the request. Select ‘Confirm cancellation’.
- The confirmation email will be sent to your registered email address.
Cancel United flight via phone number
In case you are holding a fare that does not support an online cancellation or are not sure about navigating an online cancellation, you can reach the executive.
Please ensure to have your ticket number or booking confirmation handy. You need to pay the United Airlines cancellation fee and additional service charges over the phone.
To cancel a United flight over the phone, you can follow these steps –
- Visit the United Airlines website or check your booking confirmation email to find the appropriate customer service phone number for your region
- Dial the provided phone number and listen to the automated prompts to connect with a representative.
- When connected to a representative, you may be asked to verify your identity for security purposes.
- Provide your name, booking confirmation number, and any other details requested.
- Inform the representative that you wish to cancel your United flight.
- Provide them with the necessary information, such as the flight number and date of travel.
- The customer service representative will inform you about any applicable cancellation fees, restrictions, or refund policies associated with your booking.
- Once you have reviewed the cancellation details, confirm your decision to cancel the flight.
Cancel Flight at the Airport
You can also head to the departure airport and request a flight cancellation up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure. If you have already checked in for your flight, you need to cancel the check-in first to request a refund on your booking.
To cancel a United flight at the airport, you can follow these steps:
- Once you arrive at the airport, locate the United Airlines check-in counter or customer service desk.
- Approach the counter and present your identification, such as a passport or driver’s license, along with your booking confirmation number and flight details.
- Clearly communicate to the United Airlines representative that you wish to cancel your flight.
- The representative will inform you about any applicable cancellation fees, restrictions, or refunds associated with your booking.
- Once you have reviewed the cancellation details, confirm your decision to cancel the flight.
- The United Airlines representative will provide you with a cancellation receipt or a reference number, as proof of your canceled flight.
How to redeem United travel eCredit?
You may have canceled your flight. Now you are looking to rebook your flight. For cancellation, you need to follow the steps
To redeem, follow these steps –
- Locate the eCredit information you received from United Airlines. This typically includes the eCredit code or number.
- Access the official United Airlines website.
- Look for the “Travel eCredits” or “Redeem a Travel Certificate” link on the United Airlines website.
- Enter the required information, including the eCredit code or number and the traveler’s name as it appears on the eCredit.
- After entering the eCredit details, you will typically be directed to a page displaying the available flights eligible for eCredit redemption.
- Browse through the available flights and select the one that best suits your travel plans.
- Provide the necessary passenger details, such as names and contact information, and follow the instructions to complete the booking.
Once you have completed the booking process, you should receive a confirmation page or email that verifies the successful redemption of your United Travel eCredit.
What if United Airlines flight is missed, delayed, or canceled?
As per United Airlines cancellation policy, unforeseen circumstances like weather disruptions, air traffic control issues, or mechanical delays can qualify you for a travel credit or refund for your ticket.
If your flight is significantly delayed, you can request a refund, and the airline is required to rebook you on a different flight.
If your journey involves a connecting flight and you have successfully reached the connecting city, you can inquire about returning to your starting point and receive a travel credit or refund if no other suitable options are available.
Compensation For denied boarding
If you hold a confirmed reservation but are involuntarily denied boarding due to overbooking or other reasons, United Airlines has a compensation policy in place to ensure you are fairly compensated for the inconvenience.
United Airlines claim for canceled flight
Passengers are entitled to United Airlines flight cancellation compensation if they are informed of flight disruption within 2 weeks prior to scheduled departure.
Below is the overview of where passengers are not eligible for United Airlines flight cancellation compensation based on their cancellation notice and re-routing options –
|Cancellation Notice||Re-routing Options||Flight Compensation Entitlement|
|Two weeks to 7 days prior||Departure ≤ 2 hours before||No compensation entitlement|
|Arrival ≤ 4 hours after|
|Less than 7 days prior||Departure ≤ 1 hour before||No compensation entitlement|
|Arrival ≤ 2 hours after|
Below is the overview of United Airlines flight cancellation compensation –
|Flight delayed by 3 or more hours||€600|
|Involuntary denied boarding||€600|
|Offered re-routing with arrival within 4 hours||€300|
What is United Airlines refund policy?
The United Airlines refund policy would be applicable on the unused/unflown portion of the ticket. Just like this, there are several refund guidelines you should consider before claiming a refund for your flight booking –
- Basic Economy tickets are not eligible for changes but are eligible for a full refund within 24 hours of booking. As long as you comply with the United Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy.
- Refunds can be requested for fares that allow refunds, but cancellation fees may apply depending on the fare rules. Most fares are nonrefundable but can be applied toward the price of a new ticket for a fee.
- Ticket validity is typically 12 months from the day of issuance. The exceptions apply for tickets purchased before December 31, 2022, which are extended until December 31, 2023.
- Credit card refunds are processed within seven business days, while other refunds are processed within 20 business days.
- The refund will be credited back to the original form of payment used for the ticket purchase.
How to request a United cancelled flight refund?
If you need to request a refund from United Airlines, you can follow these steps –
- If your travel plans have changed, you can request a refund by filling out the refund form.
- Once you’ve selected your flight, review the available options for refundable items.
- Most purchases related to your reservation will be automatically linked. You can choose which items you’d like a refund for, including tickets, Wi-Fi, food, drinks, and more.
- You can add up to 15 items per refund request. If needed, you can manually enter the receipt details for your purchases.
- Provide your contact information, specifically your email address, so that United Airlines can reach out to you regarding your refund request.
- After submitting your refund request, United Airlines will process it and provide a confirmation of the refund status.
Refunds are processed back to the original form of payment unless you request an electronic travel certificate instead.
Refund request for adverse weather conditions
If complications like adverse weather conditions, air traffic control issues, or mechanical delays arise, you have the option to request a travel credit or refund for a ticket that would typically be nonrefundable or have refund restrictions.
Refund for the tickets that are purchased in Columbia
You have the flexibility to cancel your travel plans up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure. If you decide to cancel your reservation, United will provide a refund for your purchase, but a 10% fare retention may apply as per United Airlines cancellation policy
Refund for the lost ticket
For each lost ticket, a processing fee of $150 USD will be imposed. The refund request may take up to 90 days.
How much is the United Airlines Cancellation Fee?
The airline does not charge a United cancellation fee anymore. Below is the overview –
|Ticket Type||Cancellation Fee|
|Basic Economy||Not permitted|
|Non-Refundable||Free – Flight credit for future travel|
|Refundable||Free – Full refund|
|Canceling with redeposit||Free for all status levels|
|No-Show||$125 for all status levels|
Passengers need to cancel the award fee, must refer to the table below –
|Cancel Fee||General Member||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum||Premier 1K|
|Canceling with redeposit||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
What is the United Covid 19 Cancellation Policy?
Take note of the few below to discover the travel requirements and restrictions for your specific itinerary under the United Airlines cancellation policy –
- When the local government or public health has ordered you to self-isolate or quarantine, you will be denied boarding.
- Passengers who feel Covid-19 symptoms should not travel for at least 5 days, as per CDC guidelines.
- In an instance in which you are denied boarding on a flight within the United States, the airline will rebook you for a flight at least 14 days later. No additional fees will apply.
- Guests who have been denied boarding on international flights will not be rebooked.
- A valid medical certificate stating that you are not infected with the COVID-19 virus must travel earlier.
- Also, a vaccination certificate would be required for international travel according to the United Airlines cancellation policy for COVID.
- You will not be able to board a flight when you have COVID-19 symptoms or are ill.
- Passengers with a medical condition or symptoms similar to COVID-19 will need a health declaration, a doctor’s note, or a medical certificate for hassle-free travel.
Travelers two years of age and older must wear a non-medical mask or face covering to cover their nose, mouth, and chin while traveling to and from the United States. Failure to comply will result in denial of boarding, removal from the aircraft, and penalties under federal law in the United States.
United Airlines cancellation policy covers all aspects that give you the best benefit when choosing the cancellation procedure. Remember, a successful cancellation will lead you to have the best time while traveling with United Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
According to United Airlines cancellation policy, passengers can request flight cancellation up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure for international flights and 2 hours for flights within the United States.
Assuming that you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. United 24-hour cancellation policy allows you to make changes/cancellations within 24 hours of booking without incurring change fees.
You can cancel United flight within 24 hours via the My Trip section online. Alternatively, you can also cancel the flight via the airline’s customer service.
You may purchase an airline’s booking within 24 hours. Later, no cancellation fee will be charged if you decide to void the booking. In other cases, when your flight is delayed for three or more hours, you can cancel your flight booking without any additional fees.
As per the United Airlines cancellation policy, all cancellation requests may be subject to cancellation fees and additional surcharges.
The airline assesses 200 USD as a cancellation fee for the domestic flight, and the cancellation fee may go up to 400 USD for an international flight as per United cancellation policy.
Yes, the First Class tickets are refundable provided the cancellation is requested up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure. The refund would be equivalent to the unused portion of the booking value minus the United Airlines cancellation fee.
You can simply request the refund online My Trip section provided that the fare rule associated with your booking must be non-restricted. You can also call the United Airlines refund phone number to complete the request.
Yes, you can cancel your award reservation through the ‘Manage Booking’ section. The miles will be re-deposited into the MileagePlus account, and you may be asked to pay the United Airlines cancellation fee.
No, if you have already checked in for your flight, you need to cancel the check-in first to request a refund on your booking.
Travel on United, United Express, and partner-operated flights can be booked with future flight credit. You can also use future flight credit to pay for travel essentials like seating, extra legroom seating, baggage fees, and much more. You can book a new flight with the travel credit by calling the airline’s executives.
Yes. Economy Plus seats will be automatically refunded in the event of ticket cancellation.
United charges a 200 USD change or cancellation fee for paid domestic flights, including flights within the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada, and up to 400 USD for international flights. The fee is charged per passenger per booking.
Any refund from the United Airlines reservation takes seven business days for the refund to reflect on your bank statement. The seven day period is only applicable for United 24 hour cancellation.
To cancel a United flight, you can visit the United Airlines website or app, access your reservation through the “My Trips” section, and follow the instructions to cancel your flight online.
You can cancel your United flight up to 3 hours before the scheduled departure time.
If you booked your ticket directly with United Airlines and cancel it within 24 hours of purchase, and the departure is at least one week away, you may be eligible for a waiver of change or cancellation fees.
To request a refund from United Airlines, you can typically do so by visiting their website, accessing your reservation, and following the refund request process.
Except for Basic Economy, United Airlines offers free cancellation on all fare types.
Once you have checked in for your United flight, the ability to cancel the flight online may no longer be available.
Electronic Travel Certificate, Future Flight Credit, and MileagePlus Premier Status Credit.
Miles used for award tickets will be redeposited, subject to applicable fees.
To check the status of your refund, visit the refunds page and click on the “Check status” tab located on the right-hand side.