Our life swirls around uncertainty as always, when the last minute changes in our travel plan led to the cancellation, and going through that with any airlines is one such tedious and long process unless you opt for United Airlines flight cancellation policy. United Airlines gives you immense peace of mind to cancel or alter your reservation if you are making one within the timeframe and you will not be charged for that. Isn’t it so convenient and comfortable? This includes free cancellation while you can also request a full refund of the ticket price.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
In case you have a change of mind, there are options to cancel your while availing for a full refund. But there’s a hitch! There are two types of fares: Refundable and Non-refundable. You must go through these points carefully before you book your next trip with United Airlines.
- Once the United 24 hour cancellation window purges, there would be a cancellation fee of 200 USD.
- The United Airlines cancellation policy varies for domestic and international routes.
- United Airlines maintains the same cancellation irrespective of class of service booked and the number of passengers boarded.
- Flyers are not liable to pay any cancellation fee if they are cancelling within the 24-hour time frame, from the time they booked their air reservation.
- The price of the refundable fare is always higher than the non-refundable one at the time of purchase. But, opting for a former one is always flexible and convenient in its own place.
- In case you are marked no-show for flight, you do not have to worry about the airfare being forfeited, as airline issues an e Credit in exchange for the flights automatically.
- Travellers doing the last-minute cancellation at the time of travel would be entitled to a United cancellation fee irrespective of purchasing a refundable or non-refundable fare.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee
So you are clear about the fact that United 24 hour cancellation policy covers for the refundable and non-refundable fare. So, you purchased a flight ticket and if you request for the cancellation within 24 hours from the date of purchase, that one would be refunded back to your existing model of payment automatically.
However, beyond 24 hours, upon cancellation, that refund could be partial or no refund depends on a lot of factors. Here are some :
- Class of service booked
- United Airlines privileged or reward member
- Flight ticket purchased from the third party or unauthorised travel agency
- Fare rule difference for the class of service in economy fare
- Age difference among passengers
- In case you purchased a non-refundable ticket, United cancellation fee will be deducted from the ticket fare. However, the rest of the value would be issued by the United airlines as a travel credit voucher which could be used towards the purchase of another air ticket.
- Passengers purchased a non-refundable fare are entitled to pay a United flight cancellation fee of 200 USD anytime they cancel the flight.
- All the purchased basic economy fare are not eligible for any cancellations or alterations.
- The refundable fare with United Airlines shall not be liable to pay any cancellation fee.
Please note – United flight cancellation compensation is not just confined till airfare but also for the luggage, seat selection, meal purchased and the other value-added service availed with them. You can also request for the cancellation anytime by clicking on the link mentioned below, the form page will appear. Here’s the link – https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/refund
How to Cancel United Flight?
United Airlines cancellation is not an uphill task. Neither, you have to go through any tiresome process that happens mostly with other airlines. Usually, all the airlines charge the convenience fee, service charges and whatnot, but United Airlines maintains a different league out of that. We would be sharing some easy steps on how to cancel United flight?
Steps to Cancel the Flight Ticket Online?
- Log in to United.com and go to My Trips.
- It will ask you to enter the six-digit booking reference (comprises of letters and numbers) along with the last name of the passengers.
- Select the desired trip to cancel.
- At the last page, it will disclose the total amount you would be receiving as a refund before it will ask you to proceed further.
- Click ‘Proceed to Cancel’ to request cancellation.
Once the cancellation is done, in case you would be receiving any funds it would be credited back to your account in 7-14 business days.
How to Cancel United flight Offline?
United Airline cancellation can be accomplished by visiting the nearby United Airline office. All you need to do is google the United Airline reservation office and you can visit their office hours from 9 AM to 6 PM between Monday to Friday. You can also visit the desired airport and approach the United Airlines kiosk to initiate the cancellation. The United Airlines cancellation policy remains the same whether you do online or offline.
United 24 hour Cancellation (Risk-free)
In future, you do not have to worry about the cancellation with the United Airline once you do the booking. United Airline is flexible enough to provide the full refund against the purchased fare. The cancellation has to be done 24 hours from the date of purchasing a flight, then only United 24 hour cancellation applies and receives a full refund with no fees. United Airlines will process the refund on your ticket when cancelled within 24 hours of purchase. However, some banks or credit card issuers may initiate a temporary hold of your funds on your debit or credit card. We encourage you to contact your card issuer for their specific policies. Please go through the terms and conditions for more details.
Terms and Conditions for United Airline 24 hour cancellation
- United Airlines cancellation policy applies to the ticket booked at airline website, United reservation counter or United customer support number.
- The 24-hour timeframe applies at the time you booked your reservation.
- All the request made for refunds would be directed back to the original form of payments
- This policy is not applicable on United ‘hold a fare’
- United airlines 24-hour cancellation is also applicable on all Basic economy fares unless you are cancelling within the timeframe and your date of travel would fall beyond 7 seven days from the date of purchase.
- Beyond 24 hours, if you are holding a refundable fare, a 200 USD United cancellation fee would be applicable.
FAQs About United Airline Cancellation Policy
Any refund from the United Airline reservation takes seven business days for the refund to reflect on your bank statement. The seven day period is only applicable for United 24 hour cancellation.
Beyond 24 hours of purchase, if your ticket is eligible for a refund over cancellations, the remaining value would be processed into your original form of payment. It would be reflected in your bank statement in 1-2 billing cycles.
You can simply track the request online via United.com. Go to my trip, insert the six-digit refund request along with the last name. Further, click on track of your refund option. If you have any questions about the refunded request, you can simply call our United Airlines cancellation policy number at +1-855-568-1951.
To request a refund on your refundable fare with United Airlines purchased online via debit or credit card, call United Airline 24 hour cancellation phone number at +1-855-568-1951 within the U.S or Canada.
A non-refundable fare from United Airlines does not account for any refund. Your only option for a full refund applies under the United 24 hour cancellation policy. However, you have a family or medical emergency, if there is a death in a family, you need to submit proper documents to United Airlines, then only you would be eligible for a refund.
Any flight which is cancelled due to national emergency or a natural calamity, United Airlines would provide you with the option to take the full refund or compensate with an alternate flight, if available, with any other airline for the same destination. If United Airlines cancels your flight due to any corporate reasons like bankruptcy or mergers and acquisitions, in such cases to you would be eligible for a full refund along with the complementary services with the inconvenience that occurred.
Usually, United Airlines charges a Passenger Convenience fee of 30 USD, if you initiate a cancellation request over the phone. You are eligible for the waiver, as they provide three cancellation requests over the phone within a year for the same passenger.