As per United Airlines name change policy, the airlines allow minor name correction on validated tickets and even exchange the ticket for a fee. Under the United Airlines name correction policy, minor alterations are allowed to ensure that a customer’s name on the ticket matches exactly as it appears on the government-issued photo ID or passport.
United Airlines change name on ticket is prohibited as it is not allowed to change the ownership from one passenger to another. This would be considered as United Airlines change ticket name request and is subject to United Airlines name change policy.
United Airlines name correction request is not allowed in lieu of changing the name of the passenger for another. To correct a United Airlines misspelled name on ticket, the following criteria must be met –
- Flights must be operated by the United Airlines
- In case of code-share or interline agreement flight, United Airlines name correction request would only be possible on the United’s segment only.
- The ticket inventory must start with 016
- Only one reissue is allowed per ticket for a United Airlines name correction
- As per United Airlines name change policy, any additional name correction is considered as a name change and is subject to ‘United Airlines passenger name change fee’ and an increase in fare.
- As per United Airlines name change policy, no changes would be permitted in case of flight date, time, fare classes, or fare basis code.
- Only United Airlines minor name corrections are permitted at the time of travel provided that the ticketed name must appear exactly identical with the government-issued photo ID.
- The date of birth and the gender of the passenger cannot be changed at the time of requesting ‘United Airlines change passenger name on the ticket’.
- Making changes to the DOB and the name of the passenger would be subject to United Airlines name change policy.
- Minor corrections would be allowed to the date of birth only due to errors committed at the time of making a booking.
- United Airlines name change includes the only correction per customer. All further changes would subject to United Airlines change ticket name policy.
United Airlines Passenger Name Change
Here’s the overview of all requests that must be accepted under United Airlines change name on ticket process –
|Correction Type||Acceptable Changes|
|1. First/Middle/Last Names|
2. Nickname to Legal name
3. Inverted Names Adding Middle name
4. Adding an additional last name
|United Airlines Name change Policy allows for all these alterations provided that the ticketed name must match the government-issued ID/passport. Add to that, the DOB and the gender must remain identical with the government issued ID/passport|
|Adding a legal name under the circumstances of Marriage, Divorce, and Adoption||OSI United Airlines name change waiver code would be applicable|
|United Airlines Add Middle Name||As per United Airlines Name Change policy, middle name correction requires rebooking the correct name in a new reservation|
Here are the few instructions that must be followed while processing United Airlines name change request –
- Reference to the above chart is to ensure that all the changes must be committed under United Airline name change policy
- United Airlines name correction process must initiate the name correction on the existing PNR, if that is not possible then create a new six-digit record locator with the correct passenger name.
- Always secure the same booking class as ticketed, if that is not possible the flights must be rebooked in the lowest available fare class.
- Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) must be re-entered with the newly corrected name and must match with the date of birth and the gender details provided at the time of original booking. As per United Airlines name correction policy, changes to both the name and the date of birth/gender are not permitted.
- The OSI entry must be added at the time of name correction, and to be added to both the new and the existing PNR. Example – OSI UA NAME CORRECTION
Name Change Fee on United Airlines
To request name correction on the United Airlines ticket within 24 hours of purchase, a fee of 75 USD would be levied as the reservation would be rebooked in the existing or lower class of service available along with the fare difference if any.
Beyond 24 hours, passengers are allowed to request United Airlines name change up to 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure for a fee of 200 USD per passenger each way along with the applicable fare difference if any.
How to Change Name on United Airlines Ticket?
As per United Airlines name correction policy, a change to the customer’s name that does not meet the above-mentioned criteria would be considered as a name correction. Once the PNR has been issued, only name correction would be considered and name changes would not be permitted. In order to change the name, the following criteria must be met on the United Airlines reservations –
- United Airlines must be the validating carrier
- All flights must be operated by United Airlines and/or code-share and interline agreement partner.
Here are the following instructions that must be met while making the change to the passenger’s name –
- Cancel the flight segments with the existing booking in order to leave the ticket status to open.
- Book a new PNR and store the existing fare class, if not to the lowest selling fare available.
- Proceed to the voluntary exchange on the ticket and collect the United Airlines name change fee along with any fare difference at the time of reissue.
United Airlines Change Name on Ticket – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Passengers can request the United Airlines name correction via united.com as well as by calling on ‘name correction phone number. As per United Airlines name change policy, the names must be corrected up to two hours prior to the scheduled departure.
Yes, you are allowed to change the name on the United Airlines booking Hence the following criteria must be met –
• Flights must be operated by the United Airlines
• In case of code-share or interline agreement flight, United Airlines name correction request would only be possible on the United’s segment only.
• The ticket inventory must start with 016
• Only one reissue is allowed per ticket for a United Airlines name correction
• As per United Airlines name change policy, no changes would be permitted in case of flight date, time, fare classes, or fare basis code.
• Only United Airlines minor name corrections are permitted at the time of travel provided that the ticketed name must appear exactly identical with the government-issued photo ID.
• The date of birth and the gender of the passenger cannot be changed at the time of requesting ‘United Airlines change passenger name on the ticket’.
As per United Airlines name correction policy, passengers are allowed to correct the name regardless of the travel class, fare type, and trip type selected. As per United Airlines name change policy, the names must be corrected up to two hours prior to the scheduled departure.
Passengers are allowed to request United Airlines change up to 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure for a fee of 200 USD per passenger each way along with the applicable fare difference if any.
If the reservation has been made within 24 hours of purchase, a fee of 75 USD would be charged each way along with the applicable fare difference.
If you notice the mistake within 24 hours of flight purchase, you should cancel the ticket and process the full refund, and then rebook again with the correct passenger name. Beyond 24 hours, feel free to reach us at our name change phone number. Please note, as per United Airlines name change policy, name corrections are subject to a penalty along with the applicable fare difference.
I booked a flight for myself, I have a lap infant travelling with me. My itinerary that was emailed to me through United Airlines reads everything correctly.. But When I checked my first flight on the airlines website (United Airlines operated through Westjet) it read everything correct except for my lap infant’s name, with no space between his first name (Alexander) and middle initial (b). I spoke to the airline’s representative, they corrected my child’s name and issued a United Airlines name change waiver for me. This was an impeccable service from the airlines.
I booked a flight to London with United airlines for myself, my daughter and my partner. My partner always goes by his middle name and now I’ve noticed that I mistakenly booked his ticket with the Last name and First name. I realised this 2 days before the scheduled departure. The airlines addressed my issue, asked me to submit a copy of the passport to change name on United Airlines ticket. They split my husband’s reservation and added the middle name on his booking. I paid 200 USD for corrections. The whole process went smoothly. Thanks for saving my husband’s ticket.
Hi My name is Vipin Kumar. I have booked a ticket from Washington Dulles to Chennai. On My passport my given name is Vipin. I do not have any surname. However on my ticket it is showing Mr Vipin Kumar. My travel agency told me that they have put Vijay Kumar as a last name and there is no first name. When I called the airlines, they said the exact opposite thing, as the ‘Vipin’ need to be added to my last name. This was a huge mistake from my travel agency, however United change name on ticket and asked me to pay the change fee, and the fare difference. But the airline addresses my issue in a rightful manner and ensures me a safe travel.
I didn’t notice it within 24h and since the beginning of January I have been calling my travel agency to get that corrected. Was told it would be taken care of. Now two days before departure I’ve received an email from my travel agent asking me to buy a new identical ticket with the right name spelling at the current fare. With the possibility of having the original price refunded.. Imagine the prices two days before the departure date!!! Called Airlines and requested change name on United account. They corrected the name and charged me a very small amount as a name correction fee. The airline saved me from buying a ticket.
I got recently divorced and had my name changed to my maiden name. I subscribed to my mileagePlus account after the marriage and was using my husband’s last name. I was not able to redeem my mileage for any booking due to the name mismatch on the booking. I called airlines and requested them to change name on United mileageplus account. They did it without charging me any fee. They asked me to submit the divorce decree for validation. The whole process went smoothly and my account’s last name was altered to the maiden last name. Thanks a lot….
Basically My last name is Smith-Eddine and unfortunately ‘Smith’ have been omitted at the time of booking.I realised the mistake after receiving the ticket 3 weeks ago, so I called lastminute.com to assist and they reassure me that they will change it, today I received an email saying that I have to cancel my ticket and book a new one, it cost me 2250 USD and I don’t have that much of money now as I has to book hotel and car as well. Because I haven’t booked the ticket directly from United Airlines, they do not want to deal with me. But the airline’s rep Ryan goes the extra mile and changes the last name on the United Airlines ticket. I only paid 589 USD for everything. Wow, they saved my business trip.
Hi, I booked United airlines tickets for myself ,wife and infant baby to Mumbai from Copenhagen thru online travel agency.Travelling date was still 1.5 months away. My problem is, when I got an itinerary from a travel agent I found my infant baby’s first name is correct i.e Candice Rogan (as her passport) but when I cross checked in the United website my infant baby first name appeared as only Candice. Though it was not my mistake and I spoke to airlines to request United correct name on the ticket. They unhesitantly did that for me and also offered me a voucher of 100 USD for the future reservation. I really appreciate the way they handle my concern and rectify it promptly.
Hola, quería saber tu precio..
I booked a ticket with United Airlines because I wanted to have some fun during my vacations, but I had no idea that it would turn out to be the worst experience of my life because there were some spelling errors in my name on the ticket, which prevented the airlines from letting me continue the trip after making the necessary corrections. So I filled out an online application to have the ticket corrected. But it didn’t work, so I contacted the customer service number, but it was really complex. I finished the procedure, but it took a while to do the name adjustments, so my two days were squandered on this name correction stuff. My vacations were spent in this charade because it consumed so much of my valuable time.
After booking a flight with United Airlines, I discovered that the ticket’s spelling of my last name was incorrect. I was instructed to do this correctly by the airline. But since I had to catch the same flight in two hours, it was already too late to accomplish this. When I spoke to the airport counter, the guy told me not to worry about it and requested my valid ID and PNR number. They made the errors correct and charged me $200 for changing my name. All ok, but I feel that the airline should have reminded or informed me earlier because I had to get to the airport counter three hours ago to do all this name correction stuff.
How much time does the airline require to change a name on a ticket?