With United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the youngsters will be provided with a safe and comfortable journey when they’re travelling alone. Whether they’re flying to attend the summer camp, sports tournament or visiting a family member, with United Airlines they would be in safe hands.
Let’s understand all the guidelines and restrictions that you need to know before booking a flight for your youngsters. We have also covered the ID requirements for minors flying alone, the airlines service fee, and much more.
Table of Contents
- A Closer Look at United Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- United Unaccompanied Minor Travel Process
- United Airlines ID Requirements for Minors
- United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fees
- United Airlines Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A Closer Look at United Unaccompanied Minor Policy
As per the United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the service is available for children aged between 5 and 14 years who are travelling alone. However, children who are aged between 15 and 17 years of age may also opt for this service. When they board the flights, they will be entitled to the following perks –
- Complimentary snacks and refreshments.
- Priority boarding so that there’s an extra time for the kids to get seated before take off.
Parents and guardians must take a note of these requirements for the child’s safety –
- United unaccompanied minor service is available on nonstop United and United Express flights. The said service is not available on the codeshare or interline flight partners.
- United Airlines minor policy for unaccompanied travel would not be applicable to any connecting flight.
- Children under the age of 5 cannot travel as unaccompanied minors even if they are flying with the eligible unaccompanied minor child.
- Young adults between the ages of 15 and 17 can fly alone on any United or United Express aircraft or use the United Airlines unaccompanied minor service.
- The unaccompanied minor fee of 150 USD each way for every two minors travelling would be charged.
When two or more unaccompanied minors travelling together –
- As per the United airlines minor travel policy, when two or more kids who are on the same booking travel together, the age of the youngest kid determines whether the minors will require the United unaccompanied minor service.
- Children under the age of 5 years must travel with a passenger who is at least 18 years of age or older.
- Even if the youngest traveller is 5-14 years old and the oldest is 15-17 years old, the younger traveller is still considered for United unaccompanied minor fees.
- If a 15-17-year-old chooses the unaccompanied minor service and is going with another youngster, make sure to book their flights on the same reservation so that the combined United Airline unaccompanied minor fee is applied.
United Unaccompanied Minor Travel Process
If you want everything to go smoothly for you and your child, here we have described every stage of the journey, from booking to travel day and everything minute details in between. A checklist and advice are also included.
How to Book a Flight for Minors with United Airlines?
You can book travel for your minor who is travelling alone through the following ways –
- Online – Visit united.com and do the following –
- Using the advanced search feature, alter the number of adults to 0 from the default setting of 1.
- Then, based on their ages on the day they’ll be travelling, select the number of children travelling and mention each age range.
- Select the flights, and at the checkout page, the United Airlines unaccompanied minor charge of 150 USD would be levied on top of the airfare.
- Over the phone – You can also contact United Airlines reservations phone number where a specialist would gladly assist you. Reservations booked through the phone may incur a 25 USD service fee on top of airfare and the unaccompanied minor service fee. In addition –
- The airline needs to know who is dropping your child off and greet him upon arrival.
- This information must be included when booking your child’s flight, but if anything changes, you can call the United customer service to update before the scheduled departure.
- The airline will choose a seat for your child so that they may receive the attention and assistance they require from the cabin crew.
- You can check the seat assignment no later than 48 hours after you book the flight.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Checklist Before Travel
We recommend taking a note of this checklist to help your child prepare for their trip, even if they are a seasoned traveller or have gone alone before:
- Take a note of the phone number of your child in case they call you or parents/guardians at the greeting end.
- Give a briefing to your child about going through security, completing the United Airlines check-in, and finding the boarding gate.
- Make certain they understand to wait for a United staff to walk them off the plane when they arrive.
- In case they are bringing the electronic devices make sure they are fully charged as no charging facility would be available at the boarding area.
- Pack some games or books so that your child remains occupied on board.
- In the case of international travel, the unaccompanied minor needs to complete the international arrival form and submit it before clearing customs.
United Unaccompanied Minor Requirement Before Departure
In addition to the check-in, parents/guardians must accompany the child at the airport and must arrive at least 1 hour before the scheduled departure for domestic travel, and 3 hours before for international travel. The procedure for the United unaccompanied minor boarding includes –
- Check-in – the United airlines online check-in facility is not available for the child travelling alone. The check-in must be completed through the airport counter. In addition –
- The airline will verify the information of the adult designated to drop off the child at the airport. The information will be added to the reservation details.
- A minor flying alone would be offered a wristband and bag tags so that the airline staff can clearly identify them during the journey.
- A special envelope will be provided by the airline where the child can keep their travel documents safe and handy.
- parents/guardians will receive a special phone number to contact the airlines when the child boards the flight.
- Passing through security – After the check-in will be completed, the parents/guardian will receive the gate pass and the pass for the child to pass through the gate, introduce themselves to the United Airlines staff, and inform them that the passenger is the unaccompanied minor.
United Unaccompanied Minor Checklist During Flight
When the unaccompanied minor boards the flight, the airline representative will look after the child onboard. In addition –
- Your youngster will receive one free menu item for their choice. The meal is available for the purchase. Minors can also bring the packed food and snacks.
United Unaccompanied Minor Checklist Upon Arrival
An airline representative will accompany the child and take them to the greeting parents or guardians once the flight has arrived. In addition –
- Parents or guardians need to receive their escort pass at the airline’s check-in counter in order to pass through the security gate to meet their child.
- In case the unaccompanied minor is arriving from the airport outside the United States and involves a custom/immigration process, you need to pick them up outside the baggage claim area.
United Airlines ID Requirements for Minors
As per the United airlines unaccompanied minor policy, Children ages 5 to 14 travelling alone are not required to produce identification at the time of check-in, but they are requested to carry some form of identification during their trip. In addition, children ages 15 and 17 years old need one of the following United Airlines travel documents for minors –
- Driver’s licence
- School ID
- Employee ID
- Library card
- Credit card
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Proof of auto insurance under the minor’s name.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fees
As per the United airlines unaccompanied minor policy, a service charge of 150 USD each way is added to the ticket price for every two minors travelling alone. This includes the additional services provided by the United flight attendants and airport staff. This fee will be applied to the price of your child’s ticket if you book flights through united.com. The airline will collect the fee when you pay for your child’s ticket through the United customer service number.
|Number of minors flying unaccompanied||Service fee for a one-way flight (in USD)||Service fee for roundtrip flights (in USD)|
One of the biggest hurdles that you might come across when you start planning a solo journey for your child is the choice of means and mediums of transport. If you prefer convenient and safe travel for your child, then you must sign up for United airlines unaccompanied minor travel program.
United Airlines Minor Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
United Airlines travel documents for minors would not be mandatory for the children aged between 5 and 14, and are not required to carry one during travel. However, they must carry some form of identification.
As per the United Airlines minor policy, passengers between 5 and 14 years of age can fly alone and are subject to the unaccompanied minor fee in addition to the ticketed fare.
You can book travel for the unaccompanied minor online via united.com or by calling the airline’s executive at United Airlines customer service phone number. Reservations booked over the phone may incur a handling fee of 25 USD on top of the airfare and the United unaccompanied minor fee.
In order to accept an unaccompanied minor for travel, the airline requires the following information in addition to the information received during the booking process:
The person’s full name, contact number and the address who is checking in the child at the departure airport.
Same person’s information as above who would be greeting the child at the arrival airport.
Unaccompanied minors are welcome to go to any of our international destinations provided that the flight must be direct and must not involve the transfer of planes or airports.
Please go to the United check-in counter when you arrive at the airport. An airline’s executive will guide you on whether you can take your child to the departure gate on your own or if they will need to be accompanied by a flight attendant.
United Airlines representatives are not allowed to be given any medication to the passenger. Please check with your doctor before booking your flight if your child has a medical condition that requires medication. They may advise delaying travel until the medication is no longer required, or they may be able to suggest a different dosage on the day of travel so that medication is not required during the trip.
A fee of 150 USD each way would be charged for two minors flying alone. This would be charged on top of the ticketed fare.
A service charge of 150 USD each way is added to the ticket price for every two minors travelling alone.
Young adults between the ages of 15 and 17 can fly alone on any United or United Express aircraft or use the United Airlines unaccompanied minor service. An unaccompanied minor fee of 150 USD each way will be charged.
An airline representative will accompany the child and take them to the greeting parents or guardians once the flight has arrived. Parents or guardians need to obtain a gate pass at the United ticket counter in order to pass through the security gate to meet their child. Remember that the greeting parent/guardian will need to provide a government-issued ID to the airline’s representative.